Sign in to follow this  
17iloveu2

FROM TICKETMASTER VICE PRESIDENT DAVID MARCUS

This is how verified Fan works: " You give your basic information, your name, email address, mobile phone number to Ticketmaster and Ticketmaster applies a bunch of algorithms to that limited data set and it can determine if you're likely to go to the show, or if you're likely going to sell your ticket.  Verified Fan is not intended to prevent or eliminate resell.  What it's intended to do is made the first distribution of tickets fairer."

That "bunch of algorithms" is far from perfect- it factors in details such as the number of concert tickets a buyer has purchased from ticketmaster in the past.  I have been doing some research on the net about this whole algorithm bullshit and it would have been nice if someone explained that this is how it worked.  It actually said not all verified fans would get a code, bc it was based on this algorithm.  I don't understand it and someone needs to take them to task for not fully explaining it on their website.  U2 should have also had this information on their site. It sounds stupid but at least if we knew we may have avoided a lot of emotional distress today.

7 minutes ago, 17iloveu2 said:

That "bunch of algorithms" is far from perfect- it factors in details such as the number of concert tickets a buyer has purchased from ticketmaster in the past.

I've heard that before when the Verified Fan tickets for Springsteen went on sale, but I question it, because.... I've purchased dozens to tickets to Springsteen on my Ticketmaster account since 2000, and I've used all of them.  I was not selected for a code.  Meanwhile, one of my wife's friends, who had never attended a Springsteen show before, was selected.

Again there is confusion over Verified Fan and Verified Subscriber. As I understand these are two different things. While the chance of fraudulent buyers is still possible with Verified Subscribers, it is clearly less likely especially with the Experience Group and that algorithm should either not be applied or adjusted to reflect this. 

I fear this will not get any better. There is no incentive for anyone to "fix" this in the favor of U2.com subscribers regardless of how long we have been members. U2 can clearly sell out shows on their own and Live Nation has other competing interests that are more lucrative than fan clubs. 

• Like 1

Exactly, that's why I called it bullshit. They are relying on a computer generated formula which sucks and clearly doesn't work.

Also, even with this new knowledge, I frankly doubt we will see a dramatic decline in subscriptions. For diehard fans, the gamble of $40 for a lottery chance at presale tickets is still kind of hard to pass up. How many more chances will we get to see these guys anyway?

People join the fan club to get access to presales. It is one of the perks that they pay for in their dues.

All paid up members of U2.com are entitled to a code to buy tickets.

If Ticketmaster says different they are wrong.

I have never missed a tour since 85 but if this nonsense continues and those crazy prices I may be done. I did manage to get decent prices on a good angle, on top but still good price. I can't believe they are charging 300 for some upper level seats!

• Like 1

Just now, CorkVegan said:

People join the fan club to get access to presales. It is one of the perks that they pay for in their dues.

All paid up members of U2.com are entitled to a code to buy tickets.

If Ticketmaster says different they are wrong.

I agree completely. I am rarely on this site unless a tour is upcoming or in full swing. I EXPECT to have a legitimate shot at early access tickets with my subscription. 

But the times are a changing. U2 tickets are now under an umbrella where the staff and Mods here have little to no influence. They will apologize for technical errors this time around and promise to fix it going forward and likely everyone will get a code next time around. But will the codes actually be effective for getting tickets remains to be seen.