Sign in to follow this  
zoopop2elevation

CD With Tickets

Hey, just wondering - it said anyone who buys tickets gets either a CD of Songs of Experience. I didn't see an option on checkout when I got tickets, so I'm assuming we'll get an e-mail or something telling us how to redeem it? Just want to make sure. Thanks!

Edited by zoopop2elevation

I had the very same thing with Liam Gallagher tickets. A seperate email will come to you to redeem the album as either CD or download. You'll get this email prior to the release date and if you choose CD you should have it in hand about a week after release.

I had the same thing with Arcade Fire.I didn't even know that I was getting a free CD until I received an email 
a few days after buying tickets.

Just got the email from TM for the album. No option for download - only option given was for physical copy of CD.

Is this "redeem a CD" through Ticketmaster a legitimate thing?

Or is this some phishing scam?

And why do bands do this? I already have a pre-order in for the special edition of the new album.  I don't need another copy - since that copy will most likely be a promo disc in a cheap cardboard sleeve.

I received the regular retail CD when Liam Gallagher's album was bundled with a gig ticket.

1 hour ago, thegrunter said:

Is this "redeem a CD" through Ticketmaster a legitimate thing?

Or is this some phishing scam?

And why do bands do this? I already have a pre-order in for the special edition of the new album.  I don't need another copy - since that copy will most likely be a promo disc in a cheap cardboard sleeve.

Legit.

Not a phishing scam.

They might include CDs because it makes their Billboard sales numbers look better.  But I'm completely guessing on this one.  

Got my email and redeemed right from the phone.  Very easy and legit.  It would be nice if it was the deluxe version but I suspect not.

Did anyone that purchased tickets to the Montreal show get a CD email?

I just looked at my receipt and did not see a mention of it.

1 minute ago, angel_28 said:

I too bought for Vegas and nothing yet from AXS or TM 

I'm wondering if it was because of the second party site used for sale of these tickets, because Montreal was the same.

You'll get them eventually but it might not be as quick as with a Ticketmaster venue: i bought tickets to see Arcade Fire (amongst others) at the Bell Center and got my CDs with no problems whatsoever , in time to listen to them before the show

• Like 1

2 hours ago, U2FanInVT said:

Did anyone that purchased tickets to the Montreal show get a CD email?

I just looked at my receipt and did not see a mention of it.

I didn't get an email yet.

2 hours ago, LdeC said:

You'll get them eventually but it might not be as quick as with a Ticketmaster venue: i bought tickets to see Arcade Fire (amongst others) at the Bell Center and got my CDs with no problems whatsoever , in time to listen to them before the show

Wasn't the Arcade Fire show amazing ?

Got my emails. Not sure what I am going to do with 6 copies of the CD. I guess ebay.  

Just want to point out that the CD is not a gift.  It is figured into the price of the ticket and is a way to rig the charts so that the album debuts at #1. The crappy thing is the way they are handling the CD part.  They have my mailing address why do they need me to claim it? They want to save a couple of dollars by not shipping the ones not  claimed.  

No email here yet, but ticketing was through AXS so probably why the delay as mentioned above.  Isn't there supposed to be choice between digital download or CD?

Update: I got the E-Mail. It comes from Ticketmaster. And its per ticket (if you purchased 2 tickets, you can get 2 albums), so I'm getting 2 CDs. I could give one as a gift. 

And yes, they do this because it counts as a sale for Billboard for each album redeemed. Lots of artists do it now. Since people are less likely to buy music nowadays, its a good way to get people new music and get strong sales for at least the first week of the charts. Normally Billboard doesn't count free albums, but this isn't technically free since you're paying way more for tickets than is the cost of an album, so they count it for sales as a bundle.

Edited by zoopop2elevation
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, thegrunter said:

It'll be a real copy of the standard version of the album, complete with shrink-wrap, and no punch-outs.  It'll be the exact version you can buy in a retail store (if there are any stores left that still sell CDs).

They do this for one reason I'm sure of, and one that I have my suspicions of.  The one I'm sure of is that it inflates album sales, because Billboard will count each physical disc sent out as a sale, which will allow the band to debut at #1.  The giveaway for Songs Of Innocence didn't count, and the album didn't chart in the way U2 albums are expected to, and I think that bothered the band,

The other reason, which I'm not 100% is the case for all artists but suspect may be true here, is that the band isn't actually giving anything away.  I would bet that Ticketmaster/Live Nation are paying a royalty to the band's record label, Universal/Interscope in the US, for each copy given away.  Live Nation will likely take from the money they grossed on ticket sales and pay a fee to Universal/Interscope for each album.  So the record company will still be getting paid for the sale one way or the other.  But this way, the numbers go way up.  For Songs Of Innocence, I bought one copy of the deluxe version of the album, and was later gifted a vinyl copy of the album.  I also saw eight shows on the tour.  For this tour, so far I've purchased a total of four tickets (the fanclub presale and then the citi presale) and will now be getting four copies of the album.  If they add dates and I'm lucky enough to get more tickets, then I'll wind up with more CDs, which will count as more record sales for the band and more money to their label.  I kinda wish there was an option to opt-out of the receiving the CD.  I'll be buying the deluxe version like you so the standard version of the album isn't something I need.  I'd rather have $10 off each ticket than four copies of the CD I'll never open.  But I guess I know what everyone will be getting for Christmas from me this year! :D

1 hour ago, uvalee said:

No email here yet, but ticketing was through AXS so probably why the delay as mentioned above.  Isn't there supposed to be choice between digital download or CD?

Well that was fast... :)

Just got an email from "U2" (some onelivemedia.com email address) with download link and codes for each ticket - CD or digital (beginning only Dec 1).  According to the email, you can forward the additional ticket codes (beyond your own) to applicable friends, family, etc (just one code per ticket obviously).  Have only followed the link, not actually ordered, but certainly appears official, and assuming it will work...

anyone know it's it's possible to get a digital copy of it?

I don't want to get 4 CDs, but would be down with 3 CDs and a digital copy that I get early morning on the 1st!

My email only says:

Thank you for purchasing tickets to see U2!

Your ticket to see U2 live in concert comes with a physical CD of their brand new album Songs of Experience.

Please provide us with your address to ensure you are among the first to receive the album when it becomes available on December 1, 2017.

What are you waiting for? Get your copy of U2's brand new CD now!

Edited by U2 Rules

See my post right above

5 minutes ago, U2 Rules said:

anyone know it's it's possible to get a digital copy of it?

I don't want to get 4 CDs, but would be down with 3 CDs and a digital copy that I get early morning on the 1st!

My email only says:

Thank you for purchasing tickets to see U2!

Your ticket to see U2 live in concert comes with a physical CD of their brand new album Songs of Experience.

Please provide us with your address to ensure you are among the first to receive the album when it becomes available on December 1, 2017.

What are you waiting for? Get your copy of U2's brand new CD now!

See my post directly above.  Hmm...I wonder if the "U2" email I received was only because my venue wasn't Ticketmaster, or if all ticket buyers will eventually get that email and option (which includes digital).