Sign in to follow this  
dawnboo

Feeling letdown by our beloved band

I posted these thoughts as a response in another thread, but feel like I need to re-post as a new topic:

I have lucked out and had mostly positive experiences getting tickets for U2 shows over the last several tours (going back to the Vertigo tour). It's not all been a bed of roses for sure, and there has been way too much stress over getting concert tickets. However, I have been able to get good tickets for the shows I have wanted to attend without having to go out on the resale market. However, I am saddened by the fact that the members of U2 allow crap like this to happen over and over again EVERY time tickets go on sale. Information is incomplete or not available with enough advance notice; ticket prices are exorbitant; fans can't get tickets; software and customer service is never adequate to handle the demand. But it doesn't have to be like this. U2 could demand that LiveNation and Ticketmaster do things differently. They, probably more than any other band in the world, have the power and the clout to get Ticketmaster and LiveNation to treat their devoted fans better. I wish I could just blame it all on LN and TM, but some of the responsibility for this needs to be laid at the feet of our beloved boys. I makes me sad that I am starting to have these glimmers of resentment towards this band I love so much. I don't want to feel taken advantage of when Bono thanks fans for "giving them a great life" -- It's time for U2 to step up and make this right for their fans.

7 minutes ago, dawnboo said:

I posted these thoughts as a response in another thread, but feel like I need to re-post as a new topic:

I have lucked out and had mostly positive experiences getting tickets for U2 shows over the last several tours (going back to the Vertigo tour). It's not all been a bed of roses for sure, and there has been way too much stress over getting concert tickets. However, I have been able to get good tickets for the shows I have wanted to attend without having to go out on the resale market. However, I am saddened by the fact that the members of U2 allow crap like this to happen over and over again EVERY time tickets go on sale. Information is incomplete or not available with enough advance notice; ticket prices are exorbitant; fans can't get tickets; software and customer service is never adequate to handle the demand. But it doesn't have to be like this. U2 could demand that LiveNation and Ticketmaster do things differently. They, probably more than any other band in the world, have the power and the clout to get Ticketmaster and LiveNation to treat their devoted fans better. I wish I could just blame it all on LN and TM, but some of the responsibility for this needs to be laid at the feet of our beloved boys. I makes me sad that I am starting to have these glimmers of resentment towards this band I love so much. I don't want to feel taken advantage of when Bono thanks fans for "giving them a great life" -- It's time for U2 to step up and make this right for their fans.

So tell me what is the perfect process that you want to implement?

U2 have a contract with Live Nation/TM which I believe expires in 2020. Their hands are tied. The best they can do is renegotiate when the time comes.

No, U2 isn't going to get out of their contracts with LN and TM, nor do I have any reason to believe that they want to. However, they could require certain accommodations. For example, they could have demanded that every fan club member get a code to be eligible to try for tickets (as it has been in the past few presales) or require that extra customer support agents be available to more promptly resolve the issues that will arise.

Now that the presale has turned out to be so massively frustrating for many (maybe most) fans, U2 could go to LN and TM and require that codes be released to all fan club members who didn't get them in the first round so they have a chance at getting tickets for the additional dates that I am guessing will soon be added to the tour. (For the i+e tour, they had eight shows at Madison Square Garden and had a packed house every night, compared to only one currently scheduled for the e+i tour. I'm sure there's still plenty of demand out there.)

U2 has been a huge cash cow for LiveNation and Ticketmaster, so the company will likely be motivated to keep the band happy so they renew those contracts in 2020 (just in time for what will hopefully be a 30th anniversary tour for Achtung Baby the following year!). U2 should use some of that clout on behalf of their fans.

Joke of a process and some good posts...bring back the days of camping out in front of the box office.  :)  That being said, I have a Philly 6-13 code I can't use for the "Citi" pre-sale.  Funny thing is my brother had one and it wouldn't take his Citi Visa but took another Visa.   So...if you don't have a Citi card looks like you can use any card (I guess they could cancel them but he printed them already, looks like it went through fine).  If you would like the code PM me and I will send it to you, looks like there are still some tix available - rear stage in upper & lower, expensive ($325) lowers, etc.   No guarantees but hate to see it go to waste and you can give it a shot.

The most expensive tickets have gone up by about $50 since this tour was last on the road in 2015. 

That seems like an outrageously disproportionate increase for such a short period of time. 

I think LiveNation were so desperate to make a big splash ten years ago that they offered more money to bands than they could reasonably hope to make in a fan friendly fashion. Not just U2 but everyone they signed. The only way they can recoup their massive investment is to pass on the cost of their overspending to us. 

The top ticket in 2001 was $130. The top ticket in 2005 was $150 - a $20 increase after a four year span seems more reasonable. Then, in 2009, when Live Nation took over, the top price jumped to $250. So we can see what happens when U2 set their own prices vs when they let LiveNation set them. I still believe the band is responsible for what's done in their name here so I can't solely blame LN  

As a big fan and a longtime fan, I'd like to believe that U2 are like a landlord that just ended up being snookered into hiring the worst landlord ever in LiveNation. But if I'm honest with myself, I'm not so sure that I believe that. Maybe they just like being paid this much and don't care where it comes from. Honestly, that would bother me less if they didn't make such a show about being all about the fans. The Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney also charge similarly high prices, but they don't make a point of talking about how fam friendly they are.