Sign in to follow this  
DeirdreBell

FAN PRESALE CODES DONE - not good for any more purchases

I was just told by the U2.com help line that any unused INNOCENCE or EXPERIENCE presale codes are basically worthless now.  They will not work on Monday for the General Sale.  And also, they will not work if they add more shows!  (That's what she said.)  So if you're like me, and only bought one ticket using the fan code, thinking you'd save the other ticket to try for an additional show, it will not work that way.  She said I will have to register again for a new sale, possibly get a code, and then i will have the opportunity to buy one more ticket.  (They keep track of how many you've bought.)  So if you were thinking your unused fan code would work in the general, it will not.  But you have until 10pm EST tomorrow night (Saturday 11/18) to register for the General Presale.   

The rule before was unused allocation is transferable during a tour. Hope they are not svrewibg us with that too. I expect presales for additional dates.

Unused presale codes have always been good for added shows on the same tour--and should be now.  If they're not, that would be hugely unfair, and there will be even more of a fan revolt.

1 hour ago, DeirdreBell said:

But you have until 10pm EST tomorrow night (Saturday 11/18) to register for the General Presale.   

To be clear, the general presale isn't a presale - it's the regular sale.  There will be no tickets sold on Ticketmaster for this tour without codes, so everyone hoping to go to a show has to register for the lottery and hope that they are selected to have an opportunity to purchase tickets.

3 minutes ago, vertigojds said:

To be clear, the general presale isn't a presale - it's the regular sale.  

Oops, that's what I meant.  I've got presale on the brain.  And to be even more clear, there will be no tickets sold on this tour without codes for the SPECIFIC portion of the sale that's taking place. 

• Like 1

I am huge U2 fan but I hope they don't sell the majority of the 350 dollar seats and play to half full arenas.

Teach them a lesson. Them being promoters or band or TM. whoever set prices don't really care. They need a slap in the face.

I also hope a lot of fans disown them after thjs. They deserve it.

Edited by alanelise
  • Like 1

True. However, the fan club presale allocation remains the same. Irregardless of codes. With this system you’ll have to register & “apply” to be a fan & get a new code. 

Note, if you’re hoping to participate in the general sale, you need to apply for that too...

I did get a code but didn’t participate in the presale. I’m holding out for different cities. Among other things...

I was in the Vertigo fiasco & was shut out, believe me I have sympathy. I understand anger & frustration. I don’t really have anything further to say then I get it. 

1 hour ago, alanelise said:

I am huge U2 fan but I hope they don't sell the majority of the 350 dollar seats and play to half full arenas.

Teach them a lesson. Them being promoters or band or TM. whoever set prices don't really care. They need a slap in the face.

I also hope a lot of fans disown them after thjs. They deserve it.

It could happen.

As an example: my wife is a huge fan of Maroon 5, and I usually surprise her with a pair of tickets whenever they're going to be in town.  They don't do a cheap show, but in the past, it's topped out around $150 a ticket, maybe $175.  I live in New York City, and the shows I've seen at Madison Square Garden have always sold out the morning they went on sale - usually in minutes.  They just put their tickets onsale for their next tour, and the prices have jumped big time from the past.  For this new tour, all floor seats are $200 or more.  All lower level seats are $200 or more.  The first 10-15 rows of the upper deck are $150 (with some prime upper deck seats going for over $200), and then the next 5-10 rows of the upper deck are $100.  The last couple rows of some upper deck sections were priced at $80.

For the first time in as long as I've been going to Maroon 5 with my wife, the shows didn't sell out in advance.  I actually didn't buy tickets - when my wife saw the prices, she said that she'd be angry if we wasted our money spending $150 for the upper deck.  Not wanting to die a premature death, I deferred to her wishes, but I was genuinely shocked at the prices.  Even more surprising - for the first time for a major act, I was seeing tons of unsold tickets.  A lot of the floor was sold, but there were still plenty of floor tickets available.  The best lower level seats were taken, but there were still plenty available.  It looked like most of the upper level $150 and $100 tickets hadn't even been touched - I could've been front row for almost any upper level section.  The only tickets that were actually "sold out" were the $80 ones.  It's really weird looking at the Ticketmaster interactive seating chart and seeing a whole sea of blue dots throughout the venue, except for the very worst seats.  It's the same for both concerts.  Between both shows, there's probably one near sell-out.  Now, the concerts are next October, so maybe they'll drop the prices quietly to encourage a sell-out, or maybe they'll cancel one and encourage the other people to buy for the non-canceled night.  I can't imagine that Maroon 5 takes the stage with more than half the seats being empty.  But they probably have a similar deal where they're getting paid by the promoter regardless of the sales, so maybe they don't care.  I think the lack of sales has nothing to do with demand and everything to do with price.

Then again, Pink is charging even higher prices - $200 or more for most upper levels, and also an extra premium charge for aisle seats - and her show is completely sold out.

So who knows what'll happen?  The band announced less cities per show this time around, and there's less room in the schedule for added dates, so maybe they figured demand would be reduced with these prices and were okay with that trade-off.

I hope that fans with unused codes will be able to use them on future dates as they have been able in the past (for the same leg anyway).

Regarding ticket prices - bands make albums which aren't cheap and CDs have gone with the way of the dodo, people want to stream for cheap or outright steal your art. How are they supposed to make money if not shows and merch when a full album of music is now just a marketing tool to get people to come out to see you play? I don't really want to get into an argument about this, mostly because no one wants to hear that what I just said is reality, but I can't really fault any artist who's tickets prices have gone up - this is the only avenue they have anymore.

the damn codes better be good for future shows!  some of us didn't receive our experience codes until AFTER the innocence presales had all started, and nothing but overpriced garbage left.  i wouldn't put a lot of stock in what the customer service reps say anyways.  it seems the ticketmaster and u2.com reps were never on the same page with how this whole fan presale process worked.  always different answers from different reps.

• Like 1

Subscriber codes never worked in general sale basically because never we had a general sale with codes :P

They exclusively work for the subscriber presale 

Pretty sad if an unused or partially used code won't work for new dates

24 minutes ago, lowlight10 said:

What a circus. I resisted buying crappy seats in the hopes of an add-on show too.

I did the same thing! i find this hard to believe that our unused codes will not work for future dates presales! I mean that would be a royal rip off! I specifically did not purchase this time during presale bc I'm holding out hope for dates added and the chance to get GAs since none were available.  I am hoping whoever shared this info from U2.com was mistaken. I am also holding out hope that the band we all know and love will do all they can to fix this once they realize the craziness that happened the first go around with presales. I believe in them and truly believe STILL that they love their fans!! Add more dates please and fix these glitches!!

1 hour ago, lukylsp said:

Regarding ticket prices - bands make albums which aren't cheap and CDs have gone with the way of the dodo, people want to stream for cheap or outright steal your art. How are they supposed to make money if not shows and merch when a full album of music is now just a marketing tool to get people to come out to see you play? I don't really want to get into an argument about this, mostly because no one wants to hear that what I just said is reality, but I can't really fault any artist who's tickets prices have gone up - this is the only avenue they have anymore.

To a certain extent, that's true, but to counter that...

At the time that people actually bought records, concert ticket prices for arena and stadium shows by major acts were generally $40 a ticket.  Before the rise of Napster set off the whole illegal downloading thing which them led to iTunes which then led to streaming, you could get a pair of prime tickets for under $100.

U2 has actually done better with record sales than a lot of their peers.  I know the headline for "Songs of Innocence" was that the band gave away the album, but they didn't -- Apple bought a zillion copies of it, and Apple gave it away.  Apple gave U2 approximately $100 million for "Songs of Innocence".  That's more than just about any other act is making on record sales.  For "Songs of Experience," this time, each ticket purchase comes with a copy of the CD.  But that doesn't mean that Universal/Interscope (or whoever is distributing U2 records in the U.S. these days) is just giving away those CDs.  Live Nation will pay a fee for each disc given away to the record label, and they'll take the money they use to pay that fee from the money they gross from selling the tickets.  So, you're not getting the record for free, and the band isn't giving it away either.  But the way record sales are counted, by doing it this way, each giveaway will count as a sale, and this will allow U2 to automatically debut at #1 without that many people actually choosing to buy it.  John Mayer did the same thing with his new album earlier in the year.  Now, I'm not opposed to this in principle, but in practice - right now, I have a total of four tickets to three different shows (single GA tickets to two shows from the fanclub presale, and a pair to another show from the Citi sale).  This means I'm getting four copies of the CD.  Realistically, I need one.  And it's likely that they're "giving away" the standard version and the deluxe version is the one I want, so I'll still have to go out and buy the CD.  So I'm going to get at least four discs in the mail that I have no use for.  I would rather have had $10 off each ticket than four CDs.

I understand the need to adjust pricing somewhat to make up for lost revenue from record sales, but honestly, most bands never made their money from record sales in the first place.  That's why so many bands have sued record labels over the years, because the funny accounting often left artists either with minimal payouts, or actually in dept to the record company for the studio time.

But I think this is something different than that.  The same seat that was $270 in 2015 is now $320.  The record industry is in the same shape it was two years ago.  I don't see anything that, in my opinion, justifies a $50 price hike in a mere two years time. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, vertigojds said:

The record industry is in the same shape it was two years ago.  

It's not in the same shape, it's ever changing but the industry itself is one thing - they're leaning on new streams of biz like VINYL (ha) and monetization of content on services like YouTube and streaming royalties (which are far lower than album royalties were). Bands were actually making money when they sold albums and if you go back and look while there was funny accounting for some artists, most of the lawsuits had to do with contract terms and feeling like they were indentured servants to labels than about the royalties they were getting. This is a popular theory that justified stealing music (the artists aren't seeing my money anyway!!!) but that simply wasn't true or our boys would be sharing a one bedroom flat in Dublin in 2017. Now one can argue the cut a label got vs an artist all day and if that was fair  but that's a different story based on each artists contract terms.

I hear you on ticket prices in general - they are high. Fans are being priced out of seeing their favorite bands for sure (and not just U2 - I experienced the same ticket price changes with Depeche this year for example).

And talking of useless CDs I get with pre-sales, I have three copies of the Depeche album unopened. I have nothing to play a CD on anymore even if I wanted to. I'm also not going to redeem my "free" U2 CDs for this reason. So if someone wants a Depeche Mode "Spirit" CD I can post it to you!

Lukylsp - we can disagree on some of the finer points of how the music industry is doing, but I hope we can agree that U2 was compensated generously for Songs Of Innocence by Apple, and didn't need to charge exceedingly high prices to make up for lost record revenue.  They just wanted to charge high prices.  And likewise, I don't think they've been hit so hard economically, or that their new album is in such danger of selling poorly, that ticket prices had to go up by $50 in order to put a roof over their heads.

I don't really object to the best seats coming with an expensive premium.  Although I'd prefer it if it was 1997 again, and all tickets were $50 regardless of seat location, those days aren't coming back.  What i really object to is that there are a lot of non-premium tickets being sold at premium prices.  I think a seat in a low row number of a lower level section, with a good view of the main and e-stage and the screen, can justifiably be sold at a premium price.  But I do not think a seat in a higher row of the upper level should be priced at that same premium.  Looking at the Nassau Coliseum date, the show I have actual seats for, the lower level and middle level tickets were $330 (with the exception of a small number of limited view tickets priced lower), and so were many of the upper level tickets, going as far as row 12 of the upper deck.  Are you really telling me that a section far away from the main stage and high up in the building is worth the same as lower level seats right next to the stage and screen?  There have been some graphics released for different venues (like Atlanta) that show that the upper level is supposed to max out at $175, but in practice, many of the upper level seats are at that $330 price level.  I think if you're going to ask $330 a ticket, a customer buying one of those tickets should have confidence that they're getting some of the very best seats in the house.  With more than half the house priced at $330, that's not happening.  I think if 10% of the tickets were $330, we'd all say that they're very high but you were getting what you paid for - when its looking like more than 50% of the tickets are $330, and that the back row of the upper level is $175, that's where it starts to seem very unreasonable.

To add insult to injury, many of the best tickets in the $330 and $175 price levels have been set aside to be sold as "VIP" packages, so you can't buy them at face value.  Instead, premiums have been added to these tickets.  You don't really get anything in return for the extra money - maybe a framed picture of U2 or a lanyard or free parking, but nothing that equals the value of the extra premium they're charging.  Under the VIP plan, tickets priced at $175 are sold for $295.  Under the VIP plan, tickets priced at $330 are sold for $655. 

On one hand, you could say "If someone is willing to pay that much, why shouldn't we take it?"  I'd just make two simple points in response to that.  The first point is, U2 have made a career of promoting their music and their live shows as being about something greater than money.  No major act has made as big of a deal about the intrinsic power of music and its ability to make the world a better place than U2.  So it seems disingenuous to talk about music as if it were an intangible object beyond petty concerns like money, and then to turn around and charge more than anyone else.  The Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney also charge very high prices, but they don't go about making statements like U2 do.  So that's my first point.  And then my second point is that the VIP tickets are essentially the band and the promoters scalping their own tickets, which means that the other listings are somewhat deceptive.  A person going to Ticketmaster's site and selecting "Best Available" won't actually be offered the best tickets, because those are reserved for people willing to pay the VIP premium tax.  So it means that fans have even fewer chances than they might reasonably assume to get good tickets at face value.  And that I object to. 

(As for extra CD copies... I have four copies of John Mayer's "The Search For Everything" because they came with the ticket purchases.  I really liked the album, but I didn't need a copy for every room of the house!)

I completely agree about stealing music not being justified.  I always paid for my music, so it kinda bugs me that "people didn't pay for the album" is used as a justification by artists to raise prices when I was always someone who did.

13 hours ago, allirogo said:

I am hoping whoever shared this info from U2.com was mistaken.

When I asked if unused codes would be good for added shows, the rep said "hopefully."  When I pressed her on that, she went to go ask someone, was gone for a good amount of time, and returned to say there would be new codes issued for added shows, and you'd have to re-register and go through the process of getting (or not getting...she didn't say that, but it seems to be how it works) a new code.   Maybe they can change this before shows are added?  Or maybe they've worked out the kinks verifying fan club members.? Seems like they're really trying to fix it.  This is the first time verified fan has been used for every ticket on an entire tour.  I'm hoping TM gets better at carrying unused codes over for the duration of a tour.  I'm guessing it's a software issue and they're just not set up to do it.  SoB was sold in two blocks, and since it's a stationary show they didn't have to deal with extra nights added here and there.   Also, what's going to happen closer to the show when people who aren't glued to U2 news find out tix are on sale and they can't buy them, because they didn't back in November?  Maybe eventually they open it up to unverified folk (imagine!) but scalpers are still twarted because the good seats are already sold.  

I can't even believe I'm giving so much thought to this but it's refreshing to chew on a problem that isn't Trump related. : )

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 12:59 PM, DeirdreBell said:

I was just told by the U2.com help line that any unused INNOCENCE or EXPERIENCE presale codes are basically worthless now.  They will not work on Monday for the General Sale.  And also, they will not work if they add more shows!  (That's what she said.)  So if you're like me, and only bought one ticket using the fan code, thinking you'd save the other ticket to try for an additional show, it will not work that way.  She said I will have to register again for a new sale, possibly get a code, and then i will have the opportunity to buy one more ticket.  (They keep track of how many you've bought.)  So if you were thinking your unused fan code would work in the general, it will not.  But you have until 10pm EST tomorrow night (Saturday 11/18) to register for the General Presale.   

They're going to screw us again if they add rollover dates in the presale.  This means you go back in this verified fan lottery and may or may not get another verification code.  This is a bigger cluster fuck than the Vertigo Tour pre-sale in 2005.  If Paul McGuinness were still managing the band, this would never ever happen.

Edited by TheLoungeFLy

Well I never thought our verified subscriber code would be used for the general sale. I figured a separate code (or however they let you know you've won the verified fan lottery) would be used and that the subscriber code was only for presales.

If they think there's an uproar now, just wait until they try to deny carry over of verified subscriber codes!

I know people are saying they heard this from the U2 customer service people but I wonder. I sent the U2 help desk an email on Monday about this after the experience presale, because I only used my code for one ticket in the hopes that another show would be added in my chosen city, Chicago. So far I've received three autoreply emails saying someone will get back to me in 12 hours. I believe that means they are still trying to figure this all out and that what has been stated by these customer service reps about subscriber codes will turn out to be incorrect or will be changed.

I don't think there's any chance that the presale code will work for the main sale.

I think it's likely that if you didn't use your code for the presale, and extra shows are added, that you'll have a chance to use your code (or be given a new code) for the added dates.  That's how it worked for added dates in 2015 and 2017.

4 hours ago, Buttercup1967 said:

Well I never thought our verified subscriber code would be used for the general sale.

I didn’t either but I saw a few people who did so I thought I’d comment. There was some worry that registering for multiple pre-sales would be like trying to exceed the 2 ticket limit and you might get your tickets revoked. That’s obviously not the case, but I can see why some were confused. 

5 hours ago, vertigojds said:

I don't think there's any chance that the presale code will work for the main sale.

I think it's likely that if you didn't use your code for the presale, and extra shows are added, that you'll have a chance to use your code (or be given a new code) for the added dates.  That's how it worked for added dates in 2015 and 2017.

Agree. Would be very surprised if they didn't.

On 11/17/2017 at 6:39 PM, lukylsp said:

It's not in the same shape, it's ever changing but the industry itself is one thing - they're leaning on new streams of biz like VINYL (ha) and monetization of content on services like YouTube and streaming royalties (which are far lower than album royalties were). Bands were actually making money when they sold albums and if you go back and look while there was funny accounting for some artists, most of the lawsuits had to do with contract terms and feeling like they were indentured servants to labels than about the royalties they were getting. This is a popular theory that justified stealing music (the artists aren't seeing my money anyway!!!) but that simply wasn't true or our boys would be sharing a one bedroom flat in Dublin in 2017. Now one can argue the cut a label got vs an artist all day and if that was fair  but that's a different story based on each artists contract terms.

I hear you on ticket prices in general - they are high. Fans are being priced out of seeing their favorite bands for sure (and not just U2 - I experienced the same ticket price changes with Depeche this year for example).

And talking of useless CDs I get with pre-sales, I have three copies of the Depeche album unopened. I have nothing to play a CD on anymore even if I wanted to. I'm also not going to redeem my "free" U2 CDs for this reason. So if someone wants a Depeche Mode "Spirit" CD I can post it to you!

I'll take that Spirit CD! lol

On 11/19/2017 at 8:52 PM, toyoracer said:

I'll take that Spirit CD! lol

Haha. If you want to DM me an address I'll ship it to you no problem.