hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

Recommended Posts

I love the album, but then again, I am a fan of the sounds they are producing currently. To be honest, although I love several songs on JT, I've never been a fan of the production, so I am kind of glad they didn't make something too stripped down. Also, I love how big and full it sounds, and how uncool it is. It is hard to find bands with musical heft that extol the  unabashedly positive messages that this album does, so I'm happy U2 is doing it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:49 PM, razspazz said:

Well...little update,,,

As angelofharlem4u2 said, I'm enjoying the war taking place over this record in reviews, forums, youtube, the feedback is out of control.

'One of the Best' or 'U2's Dirty(est) Day' and no line on the horizon for the middle ground! Many complain there's too much slow dancing, but I think it's a magnificent

record.

So I switched out The Showman, and putting Book of your Heart into the heart of the record changed the experience for me.

So as we head into winter, I wish you all stay warm and don't get too numb this holiday season.

Now it's time for my disappearing act.

>>>>Exit.

 

 

S O E only heard about 10 times .................. the more i listen to it the more           I really love it ///

Anyway  No Line on the Horizon is my favourite U2 album of the 2000’s .................

 

Life is short
It’s the longest thing you’ll ever do
The worst, the curse
Was that your dreams came true
God is a mirror in which each man sees himself
Hell is a place where you don’t need any help
When I first met you, your face was like snow
Forever, wherever you wanted to go
Your face, your grace, your can of mace
Your case as you put it down
8.17 on the ground
Your faith in a clown
Your faith in a clown
Don’t leave me now
Don’t leave me now
Alone in the song
Don’t leave me now
Alone in the song
Don't leave me now ................................

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I start with Red Flag Day everyone time I press play on this album. As a photographer, I'm editing quite a bit at a computer and this album is on repeat repeat repeat. 

A LITTLE MO' BETTER!!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love, and Love is all we have left.

 

I'm getting it now.

Bliss.

 

Book of Your Heart should have opened this album. This is such a great album. So many great tracks revealing themselves.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2017 at 12:01 AM, Superstar1976 said:

I have been a fan since I was 11 which was 1987.   I have to say this album is special, and guess what, like most things U2 does, it will take time for it to be appreciated.   Such deep lyrics, beautiful sounds, some really energetic tunes, and sounds that draw from thier past.    Not everyone will agree, and reviews are mixed from the so called experts, but the overwhelming comments from actual listeners are the most positive they have been in years.  That means more than anything.

Yeah - same here.  Since '87.  This one is amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, bettydalton said:

Dermo, you arent missing anything. Beware of the even bigger disappointment when you actually HEAR the new album.

What can one expect from an album with 8 boyband producers, 9 different mixers, recorded in 10 places.

Compare that to the Joshua Tree with 2 producers, 1 mixer, recorded in 1 place...

Less is more....

 

 

unfortunately,I agree with this.I was hoping that the album would grow on me.I have listened to it a lot,but its not happening.
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, electricco said:

 

S O E only heard about 10 times .................. the more i listen to it the more           I really love it ///

Anyway  No Line on the Horizon is my favourite U2 album of the 2000’s .................

 

Life is short
It’s the longest thing you’ll ever do
The worst, the curse
Was that your dreams came true
God is a mirror in which each man sees himself
Hell is a place where you don’t need any help
When I first met you, your face was like snow
Forever, wherever you wanted to go
Your face, your grace, your can of mace
Your case as you put it down
8.17 on the ground
Your faith in a clown
Your faith in a clown
Don’t leave me now
Don’t leave me now
Alone in the song
Don’t leave me now
Alone in the song
Don't leave me now ................................

Moment of surrender.....I just played/listened to that song today.  Bone chilling....visceral.....reflects much of what Bono's expressed emotionally in SOE....

Pleading with God......what is my purpose..who I am beyond the crafted image? Beyond the human condition of original sin and self preservation...

Worldly "conditional" admiration Vs. Godly, perfected unconditional love....

As  Lyrically Follows:

I've been in every black hole
At the altar of a dark star
My body's now a begging bowl
That's begging to get back
Begging to get back to my heart
To the rhythm of my soul
To the rhythm of my consciousness
To the rhythm that yearns
To be released from control

 

 

Edited by unforgettableu2
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, unforgettableu2 said:

Moment of surrender.....I just played/listened to that song today.  Bone chilling....visceral.....reflects much of what Bono's expressed emotionally in SOE....

Pleading with God......what is my purpose..who I am beyond the crafted image? Beyond the human condition of original sin and self preservation...

Worldly "conditional" admiration Vs. Godly, perfected unconditional love....

As  Lyrically Follows:

I've been in every black hole
At the altar of a dark star
My body's now a begging bowl
That's begging to get back
Begging to get back to my heart
To the rhythm of my soul
To the rhythm of my consciousness
To the rhythm that yearns
To be released from control

 

 

Yes!! Moment of Surrender is one of their absolute masterpieces for me. I keep thinking of it when I listen to The Little Things.  (Every song on Little Things has another U2 companion song for me, sometimes two, that I feel like it's in conversation with, either musically or lyrically.. These two are musical companions for me, if not lyrically, but they share the same spiritual aching.)  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JCF said:

Yes!! Moment of Surrender is one of their absolute masterpieces for me. I keep thinking of it when I listen to The Little Things.  (Every song on Little Things has another U2 companion song for me, sometimes two, that I feel like it's in conversation with, either musically or lyrically.. These two are musical companions for me, if not lyrically, but they share the same spiritual aching.)  

JCF....

It's weird....but ever since I listened to U2(since 1983/12 years old).....I understood them......like I was wearing their skin......breathing/exhaling the same air....

I feel as you do.....but, you know.....Bono has been asking these same spiritually intimate questions since the beginning.

He is conflicted with his will to create art and his perceived calling to serve others & God. This very notion was challenged with Larry and Edge when they where in the shalom fellowship, in Dublin.(Adam didn't belong). They almost broke up because the Shalom group challenged them and said Rock bands and God don't mix.  They obviously challenged that narrow notion....in that religion & spirituality are two separate things......and religion often gets in the way of GOD.

Adam wanted no part of religious dogma..... but wanted to be in the band. That is how U2 became the most coolest spiritual/anti-religion rock band in the world.:Zoo_Angel:

Bono fights with this, I believe....He still puts action and servitude into his devout christian beliefs..... through the music and his service for others. But, the rock culture is full of temptation, greed, doubt, idolatry, sex, drugs....and just plain self-indulgence.

I don't think Bono has found what he is looking for yet.....???? But, do we ever? 

 

Edited by unforgettableu2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2017 at 11:53 PM, dmway said:

I hope they didn't tell you that because December 8, 2017 is a Friday this year! :lol:

Ticketmaster is trying to mess with calendars now... :o

 

that's funny.   thanks.  i need a new brain for Christmas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2017 at 11:59 AM, KEV ANGELL said:

They played it all between Noel and The boys at Twickenham back in July.....happy days! 

I saw Noel and the boys in Milwaukee, WI USA.  They sounded incredible.  He's funny.  I've never seen a rock star make his fans laugh by insulting the lot of them in concert.  He was literally calling people dumb f##ks.  They laughed.  It was great.  I love Noel Gallagher.  He was being heckled and never missed a beat with a great one line comeback and they were all funny.  He's a cock but he's so good at it and that magical music. I'm loving his new solo cd and the new High Flying Birds cd and cannot wait until they return.  There were a bunch of English people who were following his shows.  He even called them losers (or something of the sort) for doing that.  He's always been one of my favorites but having seen him live with the HFB made me an even bigger fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, pride said:

What can one expect from an album with 8 boyband producers, 9 different mixers, recorded in 10 places.

How are there 8 boyband producers on this album?  If one of whom you speak is Ryan Tedder; he is far, far, far from a boyband producer.  I've seen him live, with One Republic, live quite a few times and that guy has major talent. The whole band is great live. 

I disagree with you.  I think using different influences makes for different styles and they were able to weave them all into a very solid and coherent album.  If they keep to the same producers/sound then they are old and tired.  If they stretch in different directions then they are not staying true to the band that they were. These are the most common complaints I hear and read about new music from bands.

I also think that this album is scaled back compared to some of their previous works.

10 hours ago, pride said:

Less is more...

They may have had less producers for TJT but let's not forget that one producer had to pretty much be tackled because he was about to erase Streets.  Some times more is less.  I'm not criticizing you.  I'm respectfully disagreeing.  I have to be honest in saying I don't like the 8 boyband producers comment.  I've paid no attention to who did what.  That will come later for me.  Right now I'm listening to the album and not worrying about who did what.  It does not sound like there are too many cooks in the kitchen.  It sounds like there was a master chef.  mho    I love the new album. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, can't 'Like' any moar posts because this site operates according to Newton's arrow of time.

So I'll 'Like' your post verbally Manohlive. (LOL that'll teach them...whoever 'they' are...Newtonians?).

However, why not just say Eno, when you are talking about Eno.? Otherwise, yeah, there's no sonic discord on this record.....except that one thing that is killing me....

In the song The Showman, there's a lead into the chorus with a stray 'I' just hanging there...is that a rush job that got missed? Or do producers at this level just let that kind of thing slide?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn this album!  I can't stop listening.  The Little Things That Give You Away.... wow.  Just wow.  The song goes through my head on a continuous loop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, unforgettableu2 said:

JCF....

It's weird....but ever since I listened to U2(since 1983/12 years old).....I understood them......like I was wearing their skin......breathing/exhaling the same air....

I feel as you do.....but, you know.....Bono has been asking these same spiritually intimate questions since the beginning.

He is conflicted with his will to create art and his perceived calling to serve others & God. This very notion was challenged with Larry and Edge when they where in the shalom fellowship, in Dublin.(Adam didn't belong). They almost broke up because the Shalom group challenged them and said Rock bands and God don't mix.  They obviously challenged that narrow notion....in that religion & spirituality are two separate things......and religion often gets in the way of GOD.

Adam wanted no part of religious dogma..... but wanted to be in the band. That is how U2 became the most coolest spiritual/anti-religion rock band in the world.:Zoo_Angel:

Bono fights with this, I believe....He still puts action and servitude into his devout christian beliefs..... through the music and his service for others. But, the rock culture is full of temptation, greed, doubt, idolatry, sex, drugs....and just plain self-indulgence.

I don't think Bono has found what he is looking for yet.....???? But, do we ever? 

 

Yes to all! I was just a few years behind you, "waking up" to U2 at age 12 with Joshua Tree in 1987...and I have never gone back....yes, Bono's intense spiritual journey is one of the things that speaks to me so much in their music, and in his work.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am holding two physical copies of SOE.  They are from purchasing two tickets.  I chose physical copies instead of digital downloads in the email which came a couple days after the first presale on Nov 14.  They were sent DHL but switched to USPS and were in my mailbox and packaged in corrugated cardboard.  This information is being posted for those who are wondering about their cds.  I was lucky.  I got tix in the presale.  My tickets came about a week after the presale.  My point is I think that those of us getting the cds today are probably the first batch.  The cd part of the presale went quickly, which came as a surprise. 

Sadly, they are not the bonus cd.  I don't understand that.  I like the strings/alternate version of Lights of Home for the album more than the one on the album  I'll download the sting version of Lights of Home and substitute it for the album version and burn that one.  I like the guitar/rhythm of the album version, however; that string version works so much better when put into the album as a whole...in my humble opinion.  wow.  I saw them in June for a tour I wasn't too keen on to begin.  Loved the show.  Now I'm holding SOE in my hands with tickets to the first night's show of a brand new tour and it's less than a year later as will be the actual show.  I love it.

It would be so easy to criticize them for not giving us the bonus cd but I don't care.  I don't want to criticize them right now.  I'm in love with them yet again!

Edited by Manohlive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, razspazz said:

However, why not just say Eno, when you are talking about Eno.?

I love Brian Eno.  His cd, Before and After Science, still lulls me to sleep or calms me down if I'm hyper.  He is an amazing musician/producer.  I did not say Brian Eno because we all know that story.  It was for, shall we say...dramatic indifference?  :)   It's a great story and Streets made the cd and we know they're gonna play it live so it's all good.  Thank you for the like.  I was going to like your comment but it seems pretty self indulgent to like a comment because it likes mine. You have a like sent through the radio waves of space instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JCF said:

Yes to all! I was just a few years behind you, "waking up" to U2 at age 12 with Joshua Tree in 1987...and I have never gone back....yes, Bono's intense spiritual journey is one of the things that speaks to me so much in their music, and in his work.

That is why I will, begrudgingly, sacrifice and pay $300 or more to see this band live.  There are a couple bands I love seeing live, and probably get equally excited.  U2 is the only band I see live and it's like I'm picked up by the powers that be and flung into orbit only to be gently placed back upon our Earth when it's over.  I don't know how else to describe it.  There is nothing like U2 when they roar.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I saw Noel and the boys in Milwaukee, WI USA.  They sounded incredible.  He's funny.  I've never seen a rock star make his fans laugh by insulting the lot of them in concert.  He was literally calling people dumb f##ks.  They laughed.  It was great.  I love Noel Gallagher.  He was being heckled and never missed a beat with a great one line comeback and they were all funny.  He's a cock but he's so good at it and that magical music. I'm loving his new solo cd and the new High Flying Birds cd and cannot wait until they return.  There were a bunch of English people who were following his shows.  He even called them losers (or something of the sort) for doing that.  He's always been one of my favorites but having seen him live with the HFB made me an even bigger fan.

I'm seeing Noel in Brighton (UK) in April. Can't wait for the banter, which I felt he held back a bit at Twickenham with U2 for reasons obvious... He was good at Twickenham, but better when I saw him headlining Clapham in 2015 :P Also like his new album, even more so for the fact that he wrote it all himself, unlike Liam... B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, peterferris8 said:

I'm seeing Noel in Brighton (UK) in April. Can't wait for the banter, which I felt he held back a bit at Twickenham with U2 for reasons obvious... He was good at Twickenham, but better when I saw him headlining Clapham in 2015 :P Also like his new album, even more so for the fact that he wrote it all himself, unlike Liam... B)

I was thrilled to be in attendance in Oakland in 1997 for the only dates on the PopMart tour that featured Oasis as the opener.  I remember being surprised that not many people in the crowd knew more than one or two of their songs, because I was totally into them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Manohlive said:

How are there 8 boyband producers on this album?  If one of whom you speak is Ryan Tedder; he is far, far, far from a boyband producer.  I've seen him live, with One Republic, live quite a few times and that guy has major talent. The whole band is great live. 

I disagree with you.  I think using different influences makes for different styles and they were able to weave them all into a very solid and coherent album.  If they keep to the same producers/sound then they are old and tired.  If they stretch in different directions then they are not staying true to the band that they were. These are the most common complaints I hear and read about new music from bands.

I also think that this album is scaled back compared to some of their previous works.

They may have had less producers for TJT but let's not forget that one producer had to pretty much be tackled because he was about to erase Streets.  Some times more is less.  I'm not criticizing you.  I'm respectfully disagreeing.  I have to be honest in saying I don't like the 8 boyband producers comment.  I've paid no attention to who did what.  That will come later for me.  Right now I'm listening to the album and not worrying about who did what.  It does not sound like there are too many cooks in the kitchen.  It sounds like there was a master chef.  mho    I love the new album. 

Those are not my words.i quoted someones post with my own comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.