hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

Has anyone heard any rumblings about what the next single might be? I, for one, hope that it's Red Flag Day. I think if they hope to get into the consciousness of people who listen to mainstream pop radio (which is, I'm sure, what they are hoping to do with every single they release, to remain relevant...don't skewer me Zootopians), this must be the tune. And let's hope radio plays it!! 

On 12/5/2017 at 2:11 PM, ScatterofLight said:

I am obsessed with this album.  So many incredible songs that get better and better the more you listen to them.  The Little Things is rapidly becoming one of my favorite U2 songs ever - just phenomenal.  

I agree - I saw them live 4 times last summer and did not care about hearing Little Things live and even left the concert to beat traffic when they were playing the song, but oh my god the studio version is insane, played loud.  Edge comes alive late in the song, the lyrics are intense, maybe it's U2's "Stairway to Heaven."  

7 hours ago, JCF said:

Yes to all! I was just a few years behind you, "waking up" to U2 at age 12 with Joshua Tree in 1987...and I have never gone back....yes, Bono's intense spiritual journey is one of the things that speaks to me so much in their music, and in his work.  

JCF....

Most of my friends didn't know who/what U2 was...at age 12.  I influenced all my friends, once Unforgettable fire came out....with "pride". But, still very few were reallly deeply into them, until Joshua tree/achtung baby.

U2  is a very heavy band for a preteen, but somehow, I understood them without explanation.

How did you really discover U2, at age 12.....JCF? why did they speak to you at such a young age? Was it the music itself.....or something much more?

You want to know something interesting? When I discovered U2....it was truly almost a "calling"......or a spiritual/intuitive force how ever you would like to interpret it.

At age 12, I was at my cousin's house, who was 14 years old, she had a copied tape, scrawled U2 WAR  on her desk.  The written title song Sunday Bloody Sunday....I kept looking it....wondering what is this? Never hear U2 before....well, after just "seeing" the copied tape.....I was so curious about it.....

And that is how I got into U2.  I remember hearing Sunday bloody Sunday/u2 for the first time  shortly after that surreal experience...and it was literally love at first sight/hearing. I was home.....and I felt alive when listening to the music and powerful lyrics. I still feel there is no other band like U2......they emit a energy/power that is transcendent....

2 hours ago, malaboo said:

Has anyone heard any rumblings about what the next single might be? I, for one, hope that it's Red Flag Day. I think if they hope to get into the consciousness of people who listen to mainstream pop radio (which is, I'm sure, what they are hoping to do with every single they release, to remain relevant...don't skewer me Zootopians), this must be the tune. And let's hope radio plays it!! 

Malaboo....

U2 has always sounded a bit strange on the radio juxtapose the 'mainstream'.....

although the 80's was different when a lot of good, quality alternative bands emerged on the radio for the first time.....along side U2.

Such as The Cure, Depeche mode, Love and rockets, Inxs, Echo and the Bunnymen, Ministry, The Church, Jesus and Mary Chain ect ect.....

Now???? What the hell.....i'm sorry, but this current generation has very few choices.....the spectrum of talent is slim....and much of the sound is so homogenized.

U2 is not really appreciated or valued by this generation....and I'm not sure what song/new single would make them relevant...if you know what I mean?

The past 20+ years.....the music industry has been resting on the shoulders of past legends.....because there is no clear identity or sound to trademark their era....like the extraordinary breath of  diverse talent demonstrated within the 80's/residual early 90's.

Edited by unforgettableu2

6 hours ago, Manohlive said:

That is why I will, begrudgingly, sacrifice and pay $300 or more to see this band live.  There are a couple bands I love seeing live, and probably get equally excited.  U2 is the only band I see live and it's like I'm picked up by the powers that be and flung into orbit only to be gently placed back upon our Earth when it's over.  I don't know how else to describe it.  There is nothing like U2 when they roar.

Same here. I think you described it well.  I always feel like my face *must* be shining like Moses when he came down from Mt. Sinai, after U2 shows!  It's always a little rough coming back down to Ordinary Time after being in U2 Time for several few days.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, unforgettableu2 said:

JCF....

Most of my friends didn't know who/what U2 was...at age 12.  I influenced all my friends, once Unforgettable fire came out....with "pride". But, still very few were reallly deeply into them, until Joshua tree/achtung baby.

U2  is a very heavy band for a preteen, but somehow, I understood them without explanation.

How did you really discover U2, at age 12.....JCF? why did they speak to you at such a young age? Was it the music itself.....or something much more?

You want to know something interesting? When I discovered U2....it was truly almost a "calling"......or a spiritual/intuitive force how ever you would like to interpret it.

At age 12, I was at my cousin's house, who was 14 years old, she had a copied tape, scrawled U2 WAR  on her desk.  The written title song Sunday Bloody Sunday....I kept looking it....wondering what is this? Never hear U2 before....well, after just "seeing" the copied tape.....I was so curious about it.....

And that is how I got into U2.  I remember hearing Sunday bloody Sunday/u2 for the first time  shortly after that surreal experience...and it was literally love at first sight/hearing. I was home.....and I felt alive when listening to the music and powerful lyrics. I still feel there is no other band like U2......they emit a energy/power that is transcendent....

Unforgettableu2 -- What's funny is that I apparently knew this was not common at age 12 and 13, to be so into U2, as I recently was cleaning out some bins of stuff and found not one, but TWO essays that I had handed in to be graded in 7th and 8th grade, all about my devotion to the band. So obnoxious...I wrote something like "while other pre-teens like myself are into Tiffany and Debbie Gibson, I prefer the deeper sounds of U2."  LOL!  Anyway, I fell in love with With or Without You on the radio, got the record, watched them on TV collect all their Grammys, and I was hooked.  There may have been a pre-teen crush on Larry Mullen.  I just listened to Joshua Tree over and over nonstop and, like you, felt like these musicians were playing and singing the unarticulated parts of my soul.  Got a tape of Under a Blood Red Sky and just could not believe my ears when I heard Sunday Bloody Sunday. Never had I heard anything like it. It's still my #1 favorite U2 song, 30 years later.  A great memory is me and the boy next door, both of us in 7th grade, almost getting into a fist fight about whether the live or studio version of SBS was superior.  Then I got October and it was all over. Tomorrow, October, I would listen to over and over.  I do feel like U2 reach into the threads of radiance that are all around us at all times, and hand that connection/experience to us in the form of a musical gift.  It was that feeling that pulled me in then....I had no idea that many years later I would earn a masters of divinity...but yes I'd say that even as a pre-teen I was drawn in by their spiritual side as much as the music....and it hasn't changed!  I know what you mean about it feeling like a calling.  I like some other bands, I mean I enjoy them, but my relationship to U2 is just on a whole other plane and I can't imagine feeling that way about any other band.  And experiencing them live, oh my goodness.....

• Like 2
  • Brilliant 1

2 hours ago, JCF said:

Unforgettableu2 -- What's funny is that I apparently knew this was not common at age 12 and 13, to be so into U2, as I recently was cleaning out some bins of stuff and found not one, but TWO essays that I had handed in to be graded in 7th and 8th grade, all about my devotion to the band. So obnoxious...I wrote something like "while other pre-teens like myself are into Tiffany and Debbie Gibson, I prefer the deeper sounds of U2."  LOL!  Anyway, I fell in love with With or Without You on the radio, got the record, watched them on TV collect all their Grammys, and I was hooked.  There may have been a pre-teen crush on Larry Mullen.  I just listened to Joshua Tree over and over nonstop and, like you, felt like these musicians were playing and singing the unarticulated parts of my soul.  Got a tape of Under a Blood Red Sky and just could not believe my ears when I heard Sunday Bloody Sunday. Never had I heard anything like it. It's still my #1 favorite U2 song, 30 years later.  A great memory is me and the boy next door, both of us in 7th grade, almost getting into a fist fight about whether the live or studio version of SBS was superior.  Then I got October and it was all over. Tomorrow, October, I would listen to over and over.  I do feel like U2 reach into the threads of radiance that are all around us at all times, and hand that connection/experience to us in the form of a musical gift.  It was that feeling that pulled me in then....I had no idea that many years later I would earn a masters of divinity...but yes I'd say that even as a pre-teen I was drawn in by their spiritual side as much as the music....and it hasn't changed!  I know what you mean about it feeling like a calling.  I like some other bands, I mean I enjoy them, but my relationship to U2 is just on a whole other plane and I can't imagine feeling that way about any other band.  And experiencing them live, oh my goodness.....

JCF....

Wow....thank-you for sharing your story...you literally gave me chills....because I completely embrace all your words. 

I rarely meet others who feel deeply.....who process the world beyond a surface level. U2 seems to satiate this deeper need to feel and understand the unanswered questions inside us all.

You and I obviously connected in way.....that u2 did for us in our very innocent but curious age of 12.  Madonna, Duran Duran or Michael Jackson...served a purpose at that age, or as you stated maybe "Debbie Gibson/Tiffany"......but, I was always searching for MORE.

I always knew from  the first day I listened to U2.....they were special.....and knew they would be a marking force in this world. I felt their music/lyrics so deeply....often it would make me cry.....and yet comfort/pacify my adolescent pain/discourse.

JCF...wow you have a masters in Divinity....that is so incredible.....you could teach me to understand the bible. Interesting enough, I was raised strict roman catholic....church every sunday......and yet, U2's music was the catalyst that made me seek  understanding of passages from bible.

October is such a spiritual record.....I would play it over and over.....and the more I played U2.....the more spiritually seeking I became. Religion has so many contradictions...but, I found U2's music to be more parallel and inspiring in seeking God's teachings to mankind.

U2's music serves as a voice of God.....reaching the average populous....in mysterious ways.:Joshua_Tree_01::AB:.......and U2's concerts are like attending a baptist church in Harlem......raw, unabridged, enlightening and inspiring to become/discover the higher purpose of one's self. 

• Like 2

I've listened to SOE more than several times now and find more & more to like about it all, they (u2) are just amazing!!💓      - no favorites yet- the letter in the liner notes is something to come to grips with....

I actually was the one who made that quote that the boyband producers on SOE messed up this new album for me.

I actually do think onerepublic is a boyband. Boybands can make great songs too. I have seen ryan tedder live on a festival and it is perfect music for crowdsinging. Really lovely songs. But U2 is NOT a boyband in my opinion and should stay far away from such a sound. It's got nothing to do with rock and roll. Keep ryan tedder as far away as possible from u2 in the future.

I dont mind acoustic or slow songs. U2 was always very good at that. I just get annoyed about a layer of sound over U2 songs which producers put there to PLEASE. This record sounds too safe, too dull. And I dont even believe all the songs are bad. 5 songs I really like. 8 songs I just cant listen too however hard I have tried. Hopefully some of those 8 "boyband" songs can become alot better when played live. And I have good reasons for this hope of mine, because I have heard Bono sing with the Edge in the Berlin Metro. (Check it out on youtube). He sang one new song ( get out of your own way) which I didnt like on the album but I DID LIKE it when he sang it live there and then in Berlin. Just raw and UNproduced I like that song. WITH production on the SOE cd I cringe...

That confirms my believe that it is the production of this album which makes me dislike it. Not the songs themselves. Other example: I heard "The Little Things" performed live many times and I thougt it was a good song. But the boyband production messed it up sonically on the cd. They smeared that boyband softrock sound over this song which killed it for me.

I dont want to put Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois on  a pedestal because they messed up Zooropa pretty bad. But at least they took a risk with Zooropa. Great risk. Because almost NOTHING on that album sounded like the U2 we knew before. All the other albums produced with Eno and Lanois are among the most popular and most critically acclaimed albums: Fire, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, All that You Cant Leave Behind, No Line on the Horizon. The 360 tour which accompanied the No Line album was their biggest tour ever. Even the biggest tour in history of ALL bands. That album was produced by Eno and Lanois. They have magic ears and have the talent to make an album sound as ONE. And they take risks. Sometimes they fail, but at least they try out new stuff.

But SOE sounds dull and too safe exept for a few songs. No risks taken on SOE whatsoever. On 8 songs the production of SOE SOUNDS like a boyband.

But I still have good hope for the live performance of these "boyband"songs. Because U2 always makes the best performances live. EVERY time....

Edited by bettydalton

12 hours ago, Rich T. said:

I was thrilled to be in attendance in Oakland in 1997 for the only dates on the PopMart tour that featured Oasis as the opener.  I remember being surprised that not many people in the crowd knew more than one or two of their songs, because I was totally into them.

To be fair Oasis never really hit the big time in the US, which was partly because Liam had a bit of an attitude problem. To be honest my interest in Oasis only goes as far as their first 2 albums, but I love Noel's High Flying Birds stuff.

11 hours ago, JCF said:

Same here. I think you described it well.  I always feel like my face *must* be shining like Moses when he came down from Mt. Sinai, after U2 shows!  It's always a little rough coming back down to Ordinary Time after being in U2 Time for several few days.  

exact thoughts......JCF & MANO.....

U2 is  the pretty much the only band I love unconditionally.....they could do anything, say anything and be anything.....and I WILL FOLLOW.

I've spent "mucho dinero" on them....I didn't have.....and I'd do it all over again.....and they are the ONLY band I would do this for....

And yes.....

After a U2 concert is like coming down from the highest plane......withdrawal from a drug that you didn't know existed.....

U2's music is pure dopamine.....and the closest experience to heaven on earth....

• Like 1

An apology ! And a request for one or more 'free' hands....

I've had moments of being a bit premature in the past and have taken great strides in my younger days to concentrate on baseball stats and the like, to help oddly enough, resolve that little issue. I should know better, practice patience. I was not horrible in my commentaries of the new songs but I definitely was not patient enough to allow the songs to make their way through my skin and towards my heart. Hey, life is a process. Two steps forward, one step back perhaps. I enjoyed the rhythm of GET OUT OF YOUR OWN WAY, when it was first played here and began feeling hopeful that there might be a few songs on the new disk which resonated for me, if you will.

Received the disk and I love the playful but pointed lyrics in that tune, and many others. On target again. How do you tell people to wake up, which is a tad insulting and yet keep their attention. Brilliantly written and played tune. Thanks U2. Deep breath.

However, U2 - you placed me in an awkward spot....here is my problem with the disk related to their pending tour !

Ahum...cough cough.... I am traveling solo to LV for a run event. When the dates were announced it was a wonderful coincidence that U2 would play that same weekend. A lot of ballads. A lot of sentimentality, which I appreciate, but it requires if we are being honest, a fair amount of cuddling and hand holding. So, for anyone in RZ1 Friday night who feels brave enough, feel free to grab my hand at the right moment. I'll be the guy - alone - with my arms stretched out like an eagle, eyes closed, waiting...I know that seems weird, but look at it as if we were on a flight together and the plane decided to take gravity too seriously. Just don't squeeze that tightly !

Happy daze.

10 hours ago, peterferris8 said:

To be fair Oasis never really hit the big time in the US, which was partly because Liam had a bit of an attitude problem. To be honest my interest in Oasis only goes as far as their first 2 albums, but I love Noel's High Flying Birds stuff.

Same here.  The U2/Oasis shows in Oakland were when the second Oasis album had come out.  It was an awesome show.

On 12/8/2017 at 9:20 PM, JCF said:

So obnoxious...I wrote something like "while other pre-teens like myself are into Tiffany and Debbie Gibson, I prefer the deeper sounds of U2."  LOL!

Hey!  NO knocking Debbie Gibson or Tiffany!  haha

What you wrote and I quoted is very funny.  I'm still laughing.  Thank you.

22 hours ago, bettydalton said:

I actually do think onerepublic is a boyband. Boybands can make great songs too. I have seen ryan tedder live on a festival and it is perfect music for crowdsinging. Really lovely songs. But U2 is NOT a boyband in my opinion and should stay far away from such a sound. It's got nothing to do with rock and roll. Keep ryan tedder as far away as possible from u2 in the future

We are all free to think what we want.  I was respectfully disagreeing and being honest.  One Republic is no boy band.  I used many favors to take two girls to see ' NSync at their height.  We were right by the stage. I was about to endure 20,000 screaming girls and it was even worse than I'd imagined it would be.  It's the only time I've wished I had something to protect my ears at a concert.  Boybands can have good songs.  For each good song by a boyband there are a hundred other bad ones.  It's not about the music. It's about them being cute.  They are marketed as being cute to little girls.  There are toy dolls and stickers and lunch boxes.

I've seen One Republic live many times.  I saw them twice this last Summer.  You don't have to like them, but just like U2,...they are not a boyband.  They are impeccable musicians. Ryan Tedder can play the piano and sing live like nobody I've seen save Elton John.  There was no crowd singing.  Even had there been...what's wrong with it?  Have you seen U2 live?  The crowd sings even when they are not prompted to do so.  There are no toy dolls.  One Republic does a lot for good causes just like U2.  They support very good organizations which help people.

I do think your, 'perfect music for crowdsinging', and 'Really lovely songs.', were both quite funny in their own patronizing nature.  You even used the upper case! Thanks for the laugh. The beauty of this is we can disagree and I could not disagree more.  Can we agree to disagree and leave it at that?  I'm sorry you don't like whatever it is you don't like on the new cd.  You seem to be in the minority.  I'd give it another few rounds.  It really grows on people who initially didn't like it at all.  It seems like you want the old producers/sound and it's not what they are about right now.  Great bands evolve and change.  That does not mean you are wrong for not liking U2 using however many producers. Please do not diminish said producers' talent because you are unhappy with SOE.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, unforgettableu2 said:

exact thoughts......JCF & MANO.....

U2 is  the pretty much the only band I love unconditionally.....they could do anything, say anything and be anything.....and I WILL FOLLOW.

I've spent "mucho dinero" on them....I didn't have.....and I'd do it all over again.....and they are the ONLY band I would do this for....

And yes.....

After a U2 concert is like coming down from the highest plane......withdrawal from a drug that you didn't know existed.....

U2's music is pure dopamine.....and the closest experience to heaven on earth....

A Miracle......A Miracle Drug.  I love that song.

So when a person wrongly quotes someone in the forums,and was made aware of it,should they delete it,apologize,ignore it and continue posting on the topic?

The correct internet etiquette would be to blame someone else for something unrelated, flame them in a personal manner, and then never revisit the subject of your mis-quote.

• Thanks 1

This album is just great start to finish, the track order chosen is perfect. Really getting into Red Flag Day right now, I think it will be fantastic live....

Can't wait for Chicago and LV shows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'Am enjoying listening to SOE... there's always (so far) more to hear, the more one listens ...  “The days of our lives are numbered. We know that. Yes, there are certainly times when we aren’t able to muster as much strength and patience as we would like. It’s called being human. But I have found that in the simple act of living with hope, and in the daily effort to have a positive impact in the world, the days I do have are made all the more meaningful and precious. For that I am grateful.“ –Elizabeth Edwards. ..... this quote was passed on to me by a dear friend who has since passed on.

12/21/17:  'Funny... now that I am COMPLETELY fed up with all the ordering snaffu's re: trying to give a friend a gift subscription to U2.com,  I have NO patience left and I'm living without hope of ever resolving that issue or any others re: ordering ANYthing from U2.com,   where there are too many problems, too little time for me to resolve them.  U2 makes great music, but their business end needs straightening out.

Edited by hillpy2
'up-date...
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Manohlive said:

A Miracle......A Miracle Drug.  I love that song.

Yes Mano....so do I.....

my favorite line of all......has so much meaning.....

"Freedom has a scent
Like the top of a newborn baby's head"

A baby's head has sutures/plates that aren't fully fused to allow the volume of the brain to grow/mature......

There is freedom in youth/innocence....so much to learn/explore....

A openness to seek and create without inhibitions....

Every artist seeks this.....needs to retain a youthful mind to remain open/self-aware....once those plates fuse/close.....is when child becomes the adult and often imagination/creativity is limited.

Drugs for some....opens the youthful mind....falsely frees themselves/inhibitions....

but, truly....the miracle drug is in us all....inside our own imaginations....and allowing ourselves to express it....without judgement or fears from others.(or ourselves)....

9 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Hey!  NO knocking Debbie Gibson or Tiffany!  haha

What you wrote and I quoted is very funny.  I'm still laughing.  Thank you.

Thanks! Like I said, the entire essay was so obnoxious it was hilarious. I was such a 13-year-old snob, but I stand by my 30 year devotion to U2!

3 hours ago, razspazz said:

The correct internet etiquette would be to blame someone else for something unrelated, flame them in a personal manner, and then never revisit the subject of your mis-quote.

Raz...I love ya ! lol

4 hours ago, razspazz said:

THAT IS SO FUNNY.  Oh my gosh am I laughing.  Thank you so much.   I really needed that because I just wrote a book apologizing to someone on this site and I'm worried I pissed off another or misquoted or did something awful in doing so.

I love you guys and I don't even know you. 

After more than a week of steady listening on Spotify (the vinyl still hasn’t arrived from Live Nation), I can’t shake the opinion that this is easily U2’s worst album. Just embarrassing. I can’t help cringe at different points throughout the album. U2 is more corporation than band now. It’s too late to quit with grace; can they quit before they become evil? (My experience with Live Nation tells me no.)

• Like 1