hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

35 minutes ago, newsman said:

After more than a week of steady listening on Spotify (the vinyl still hasn’t arrived from Live Nation), I can’t shake the opinion that this is easily U2’s worst album. Just embarrassing. I can’t help cringe at different points throughout the album. U2 is more corporation than band now. It’s too late to quit with grace; can they quit before they become evil? (My experience with Live Nation tells me no.)

There is some intelligent nuanced magic....let it reach you. That does not mean you have to like everything or anything, but if you appreciated them for many moons, I think you might get some of what is on the plate and being served. GET OUT OF YOUR OWN WAY kills me. I love it. Juxtapose and reveal the absolute crazy and absurd life that exists in the US right now by not giving a free pass to the people. Beautifully, intelligently written and played. Cheers.

2 hours ago, economicformula said:

There is some intelligent nuanced magic....let it reach you. That does not mean you have to like everything or anything, but if you appreciated them for many moons, I think you might get some of what is on the plate and being served. GET OUT OF YOUR OWN WAY kills me. I love it. Juxtapose and reveal the absolute crazy and absurd life that exists in the US right now by not giving a free pass to the people. Beautifully, intelligently written and played. Cheers.

No. Nothing nuanced about it. The album sucks. 

Its interesting to go back and look at reviews from U2's earlier stuff. Two stand out as super interesting  - JT and UF. 

For UF - rolling stone said Eno was an unecessary extra. There was also a comment about the album just going on and on and leaving many fans asking what happened.

For JT - rolling stone said that it was not quite a return to the fire of war..but a step in the right direction. Also said there were no sure fire hits on the albu.m.

No real point to this post. Just interesting to browse back.

Edited by brendo1704

48 minutes ago, newsman said:

Lol. The whole thing ? Or just the parts the reflect the narcicistic imploding of America as we know it ? 

11 hours ago, neilz said:

This album is just great start to finish, the track order chosen is perfect. Really getting into Red Flag Day right now, I think it will be fantastic live....

Can't wait for Chicago and LV shows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Couldn't have said it better myself...I'll see you in Vegas! The album is SO MUCH BETTER when listened to in the order that the band chose.

Separate question. What's up with Summer of Love? Album credit is given to U2 for lyrics and music but part of the music was clearly "West Coast/Colors" by OneRepublic back in early 2016 (and they said it was going to be their next single). What gives? Just go to Youtube and search. Obviously Ryan Tedder was producer of SOL but the chorus is clearly the same as Colors/WC.

Edited by malaboo

3 hours ago, brendo1704 said:

Its interesting to go back and look at reviews from U2's earlier stuff. Two stand out as super interesting  - JT and UF. 

For UF - rolling stone said Eno was an unnecessary extra. There was also a comment about the album just going on and on and left many fans asking what happened.

For JT - rolling stone said that it was not quite a return to the fire of war..but a step in the right direction. Also said there were no sure fire hits on the album.

I'm very happy you posted this. Like many on here (some may even have a selective memory about that time - you know who you are), when UF first came out, I was VERY disappointed in it. I wanted another "War"-like album. UF wasn't that. Boy, am I glad that U2 didn't consult me when they were recording UF. I think it's the single most important album they ever made (not my favorite, but most important - it proved they could change their sound and still be intriguing). Without UF, there is no JT or really AB as well - similar leap of faith involved for AB as for UF.

I also remember the "no sure-fire hits" comment from Rolling Stone in their review of JT as well - a bit laughable now, isn't it? :D

7 hours ago, newsman said:

After more than a week of steady listening on Spotify (the vinyl still hasn’t arrived from Live Nation), I can’t shake the opinion that this is easily U2’s worst album. Just embarrassing. I can’t help cringe at different points throughout the album. U2 is more corporation than band now. It’s too late to quit with grace; can they quit before they become evil? (My experience with Live Nation tells me no.)

6 hours ago, economicformula said:

4 hours ago, newsman said:

3 hours ago, economicformula said:

Lol. The whole thing ? Or just the parts the reflect the narcissistic imploding of America as we know it ? 

Has everyone heard the old line, "Opinions are like @ssholes - everyone has one, and they all stink" ?

If you haven't, now you have (I apologize for any bruised sensitivities).

The Romans had the more intellectual, "De gustibus non est disputandum" (Literally, "About tastes, there must be/can be no dispute").

Something moves you or it doesn't - that's the truth.

I was hoping for a harder-rocking, rawer sounding album. That part of me is occasionally let down by SoE. However, U2's creating on SoE what I didn't even know I would be open-minded to absolutely adores this album - the same experience I had with UF after War. I have to force myself not to listen to it - yes, I'm actually fearing I will listen to it so often I could risk burning out on it. The last time I had this experience? Listening early-on to AB.

Now, AB will always be my first love with U2 overall, just as War is my favorite 80s U2. However, liking War doesn't mean I can't like UF - I like both very much; it just took a little longer to appreciate the second.

Yes, there's Ryan Tedder production on this album; however, there is also a lot of Jacknife Lee and Steve Lillywhite production too - the last time they worked in tandem on a U2 album? HTDAAB, my favorite post-90s U2 (although most of the post-90s work I quite like, except for ATYCLB - I can leave that one behind...).

So, I'd humbly suggest continuing to listen to it. (Claims of their potentially becoming "evil" certainly are quite hyperbolic.) I hope something moves the current detractors eventually. IMHO, this is the nicest complete whole from them since HTDAAB at least, if not AB - not necessarily as good either (time will tell), but I have trouble listening to it without wanting to hear all of it. That doesn't happen with every album - it is happening with this one.

Edited by dmway

11 hours ago, dmway said:

I'm very happy you posted this. Like many on here (some may even have a selective memory about that time - you know who you are), when UF first came out, I was VERY disappointed in it. I wanted another "War"-like album. UF wasn't that. Boy, am I glad that U2 didn't consult me when they were recording UF. I think it's the single most important album they ever made (not my favorite, but most important - it proved they could change their sound and still be intriguing). Without UF, there is no JT or really AB as well - similar leap of faith involved for AB as for UF.

I also remember the "no sure-fire hits" comment from Rolling Stone in their review of JT as well - a bit laughable now, isn't it? :D

Has everyone heard the old line, "Opinions are like @ssholes - everyone has one, and they all stink" ?

If you haven't, now you have (I apologize for any bruised sensitivities).

The Romans had the more intellectual, "De gustibus non est disputandum" (Literally, "About tastes, there must be/can be no dispute").

Something moves you or it doesn't - that's the truth.

I was hoping for a harder-rocking, rawer sounding album. That part of me is occasionally let down by SoE. However, U2's creating on SoE what I didn't even know I would be open-minded to absolutely adores this album - the same experience I had with UF after War. I have to force myself not to listen to it - yes, I'm actually fearing I will listen to it so often I could risk burning out on it. The last time I had this experience? Listening early-on to AB.

Now, AB will always be my first love with U2 overall, just as War is my favorite 80s U2. However, liking War doesn't mean I can't like UF - I like both very much; it just took a little longer to appreciate the second.

Yes, there's Ryan Tedder production on this album; however, there is also a lot of Jacknife Lee and Steve Lillywhite production too - the last time they worked in tandem on a U2 album? HTDAAB, my favorite post-90s U2 (although most of the post-90s work I quite like, except for ATYCLB - I can leave that one behind...).

So, I'd humbly suggest continuing to listen to it. (Claims of their potentially becoming "evil" certainly are quite hyperbolic.) I hope something moves the current detractors eventually. IMHO, this is the nicest complete whole from them since HTDAAB at least, if not AB - not necessarily as good either (time will tell), but I have trouble listening to it without wanting to hear all of it. That doesn't happen with every album - it is happening with this one.

I actually get what Newsman is referring to in broader terms. My feelings on the disk have turned nicely and I am grateful. But as Newsman writes better than I, the machine, the corporation that is U2 and its partners is really not serving the people, the fans, as it should. It's kind of like the idea of democracy in America. If you vote, you get to pick from 2 people who about 100 other people in a population of millions, decided would be THE choice.

TM, ON...they tell us what they are doing is in our interest. Those are just words but many hear or read the words and assume, since they were spoken or written, they must be true.

I'm really grateful the disk itself brought me back from intense disillusionment with it all, but just barely. Obviously U2 carry a pedigree that can't be overlooked despite legitimate reasons to be cynical, sick and frankly tired. But then again, who would have thought our beloved and benevolent leader of Burma would turn 180.

So, maybe music can continue to save souls, but now a days at U2 shows, the cost for salvation and sincere access to fans, is bizarrely nasty.

13 hours ago, brendo1704 said:

For UF - rolling stone said Eno was an unecessary extra. There was also a comment about the album just going on and on and leaving many fans asking what happened.

For JT - rolling stone said that it was not quite a return to the fire of war..but a step in the right direction. Also said there were no sure fire hits on the albu.m.

brendo....

Exactly....I sorta insinuated this very notion in earlier commentary about the craftmanship and evolution of each u2 album and sound in their 40 year history.

Unforgettable fire was an amputation in sound from it's former predecessors.....and if you look at Joshua  tree....it went even further.....and then with Achtung Baby it was a full on decapitation in sound or departure of sound. As a fan since 1983....it took a while to adjust my ear and mind to each subsequent 'change'  U2 made in sound.

U2 are transformative artists....almost schizophrenic.....in sound.....which has made them relevant and pioneering force for the past 40 years.

I think though....SOE isn't one of those 'salvadore Dali' creative  or innovative/progressive albums that took place in U2's past....

This album is actually too familiar....too "U2".......if that makes sense? The shocking element of 'surprise' and get 'acclimated' to this new sound is actually the missing component....that has defined U2's style.

I think this is what old fans are seeking to find......and hasn't found......

SOE is not a bad album by any means.....it's just too 'normal'....or predictable in sound.....in which the likes of 'unforgettable', Joshua tree, Rattle and hum, Achtung, zooropa & POP.....all had their distinct identity & genius whether you like it or not.....it was different.

SOE is not different, unique, pioneering or deferring in sound/identity. SOE is a homogenized collaboration or recycling of the existing U2 sound of the past 17 years.

Bono sings in love is bigger

"as you're walking, start singing and stop talking"

If you take a look on the back cover of some you can read

"as you're walking, STOP SINGING and start talking"

What does it means? Could be the end?

4 hours ago, economicformula said:

I actually get what Newsman is referring to in broader terms. My feelings on the disk have turned nicely and I am grateful. But as Newsman writes better than I, the machine, the corporation that is U2 and its partners is really not serving the people, the fans, as it should. It's kind of like the idea of democracy in America. If you vote, you get to pick from 2 people who about 100 other people in a population of millions, decided would be THE choice.

TM, ON...they tell us what they are doing is in our interest. Those are just words but many hear or read the words and assume, since they were spoken or written, they must be true.

I'm really grateful the disk itself brought me back from intense disillusionment with it all, but just barely. Obviously U2 carry a pedigree that can't be overlooked despite legitimate reasons to be cynical, sick and frankly tired. But then again, who would have thought our beloved and benevolent leader of Burma would turn 180.

So, maybe music can continue to save souls, but now a days at U2 shows, the cost for salvation and sincere access to fans, is bizarrely nasty.

Oh, my comments were exclusively about the new album.

I wholeheartedly agree about their deal with LiveNation/Tickemaster - I have never been a fan of that - my previous comments here would only confirm my overall disapproval of that arrangement. The pre-sales so far (before and during) have been quite ham-fisted - I personally have been lucky (i.e., things have worked out as they were supposed to), but too many others have not been. (Please keep in mind that I think the moderators here should get some kind of award/recognition for having to field the justifiable complaints from the list membership - let's hope things don't go so poorly again.)

I also think that making people re-subscribe, even if their memberships were active and not on the verge of expiring, just to be able to participate in this round of pre-sales was just a naked money-grab. They get nothing but a hairy eyeball from me for all this.

I just don't want people taking their proper disagreements with U2's unfortunate management relationship out on the new album itself - hating one doesn't mean you must hate the other.

That's what I was obliquely getting at...