hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

22 hours ago, jmjmchip said:

Nevermind, found the short film on iTunes and I 100% recommend watching!

This one??

I could go into a lot of detail about what I like and dislike about this album, but I'll spare you, and just say this:

It's been a long time (like 15 years?) since I've found myself with NEW U2 songs stuck in my head (in a good way ;) ) and randomly singing their NEW songs to myself as I go about my day... but I actually am doing that with SOE. Thumbs up, U2. I think we fell out of sync for a while, but we're back in step with each other again!  :wub:

Thank you for this album!

7 hours ago, russpm said:

First listen I was disappointed, second listen not disappointed as much, third listen really growing on me. Don't listen to a stream or MP3 the quality just isn't good enough as its so compressed. Stick the vine l or CD on crank up the volume and it sounds better instantly.

Yes - I noticed this right away, especially on songs like "You're The Best Thing About Me" - the YouTube version was ok; the CD version blew me away!

Little Things and Blackout are just fine and oh, 13 is wonderful have been listening to it a couple of evenings now the song of the album I think

otherwise Desire... can be red Retire? :P

Edited by jaanakulo

On 11-12-2017 at 4:27 PM, unforgettableu2 said:

SOE is not a bad album by any means.....it's just too 'normal'....or predictable in sound.....in which the likes of 'unforgettable', Joshua tree, Rattle and hum, Achtung, zooropa & POP.....all had their distinct identity & genius whether you like it or not.....it was different.

SOE is not different, unique, pioneering or deferring in sound/identity. SOE is a homogenized collaboration or recycling of the existing U2 sound of the past 17 years.

Interesting to read on this forum about other peoples first reactions back in the eighties to classic albums like Joshua Tree etc. I can remember the first time I heard "With or Without You" on the radio. I thought they had sold out to a commercial sound. I didnt want to listen to the rest of the album and I didnt go to the concert. Worst decision I ever made and which I still regret. I couldnt have been more wrong. But I had yet to become a real U2 fan back then. And WHEN I truly started listening to the whole Joshua Tree album I did became a U2 fan for life...

As mentioned by many others and also by "unforgettableu2" the band U2 has a reputation of always trying to change their sound from album to album. I know that by now, but the PRODUCTION of THE SOUND of this album sounds too soft for my personal taste. I love U2 sounding lean and mean but at the same time keep preaching love.  Hard shell but with a heart of gold. Although I still have problems with this soft "boybandproduction" sound maybe I am wrong again and will the songs only come to life after some more weeks of listening....

I am curious HOW U2 will shape the live concerts with these new songs on SOE. Their BBC string version of All I Want is You (Gorgeous!) maybe is an hopeful indication that they will try to make a very intimate concert with acoustic instruments...

Bono and the Edge played "Get out of your own way" with just a guitar in the Berlin subway. It sounded great played live although I disliked the cd version of the very same song. That melody of "Get out of your own way" stayed in my mind the last days. And after hearing it live I COULD listen to the lesser cd version and appreciated it better. So there is hope.

I am on this forum because I am really big U2 fan. I really want to like this album because U2 has been the soundtrack of my whole adult life... I want them to fare well, I want them to excell. They didnt excell on the cd but they probably will when they perform the songs live. U2 always rocks live, even when they play a ballad. Rock is like Soul to me. You have it or you dont. U2 has always got SOUL and although I think the energy of this soul gets muddled by the boybandproduction sound of this cd I have good hope that the songs will SHINE live...

Edited by bettydalton

Hi everyone ,

I got the extra deluxe box set version , one standard Cd from USA , two deluxe cd from Europe of the new album .

When I read reviews about new album here I am sometimes shocked, because I think u2 made an epic album for the first  time since 1997 .

Great songs , great lyrics, great production , great cd, vinyl , deluxe cd , extra deluxe version package .

Come on guys are you kidding me ?

Have a little faith for this album , let yourselves go and swim in the new sound ...

10/10

8 hours ago, bettydalton said:

Interesting to read on this forum about other peoples first reactions back in the eighties to classic albums like Joshua Tree etc. I can remember the first time I heard "With or Without You" on the radio. I thought they had sold out to a commercial sound. I didnt want to listen to the rest of the album and I didnt go to the concert. Worst decision I ever made and which I still regret. I couldnt have been more wrong. But I had yet to become a real U2 fan back then. And WHEN I truly started listening to the whole Joshua Tree album I did became a U2 fan for life...

As mentioned by many others and also by "unforgettableu2" the band U2 has a reputation of always trying to change their sound from album to album. I know that by now, but the PRODUCTION of THE SOUND of this album sounds too soft for my personal taste. I love U2 sounding lean and mean but at the same time keep preaching love.  Hard shell but with a heart of gold. Although I still have problems with this soft "boybandproduction" sound maybe I am wrong again and will the songs only come to life after some more weeks of listening....

I am curious HOW U2 will shape the live concerts with these new songs on SOE. Their BBC string version of All I Want is You (Gorgeous!) maybe is an hopeful indication that they will try to make a very intimate concert with acoustic instruments...

Bono and the Edge played "Get out of your own way" with just a guitar in the Berlin subway. It sounded great played live although I disliked the cd version of the very same song. That melody of "Get out of your own way" stayed in my mind the last days. And after hearing it live I COULD listen to the lesser cd version and appreciated it better. So there is hope.

I am on this forum because I am really big U2 fan. I really want to like this album because U2 has been the soundtrack of my whole adult life... I want them to fare well, I want them to excell. They didnt excell on the cd but they probably will when they perform the songs live. U2 always rocks live, even when they play a ballad. Rock is like Soul to me. You have it or you dont. U2 has always got SOUL and although I think the energy of this soul gets muddled by the boybandproduction sound of this cd I have good hope that the songs will SHINE live...

Betty Dalton....

I love your user name.....clever....;)

You know....some of your exact words have invaded my mind like the plague.

As a fan since 1983.....I have never wavered my commitment and attachment to U2's music. I've had 'doubts' or times of questioning in their artistic transitions/experiments......but, U2 have remained my only favorite band for 34 years.

U2 is always miles ahead of the game.....visionary.....and I respect this most about them as artists.

Like you Betty, I question myself this time around.....wondering if I haven't caught up to their genius yet, like in the past. But no....this time it is different.....

This album has some star feature songs (lights of home, red flag, American soul, Black out, little things give you away & love is bigger than anything in its way).....but, as a whole.....it's not the full potential or even a pinky finger 'scale' of what u2 is capable of. I find myself singing these focal songs in the shower or even shopping in the store(not fully cognitive, until I'm singing a little too loud:o). So this album must be doing something right to elicit this type of excitement.  Like I said, it's a good album......for sure.....but, we've heard this from U2 before....and I am craving a revolution from U2...and I know they have it in them....they haven't tapped into their full spectrum of capabilities.....and I will be patient/wait until they find it.....

I'm not ashamed to say it...if anything, true fans will be honest and objective. I can't say I've ever been this sure before.....but, I know what I know. Collaboratively, U2 has put out some amazing songs in recent years....some really well crafted genius......but, the 'synergized' whole is missing....at least for the type of quality and caliber that U2 is capable of. U2's worst is most artists best......that is a difficult precedent to sustain as long as they have.

U2 is the most extraordinary live band.....they are the Gospel of Rock....They possess the soul with their transcendent music.....like no other.

I am curious what creative direction they will take with these new songs.....and no doubt breathe a new life/spirit in them.....

U2  Live takes their studio albums and animates the lyrics/sounds......into three dimensional, physical form.

I have no doubt this concert will be as amazing as all the others.....U2 never fails live.....if anything.....it makes them stronger and their music/message more vital in meaning/context.

Edited by unforgettableu2

I think for those discussing new sound - or lack of it, you are missing some of the fantastic new sounds on this album. I think the guitar compression  on the verse elements of  'American Soul' is a truly new sound and a fantastic track. Together with the thumping base drum tones and Clayton bass - it's worth the price of the cd alone.

I never like to get too precious about stuff like this though as to whether it be, or whether it not be my reason to continue to like or dis-own a band. U2's just in me. They got into me when I was about 13, and next year I'm almost as old as U2 but not quite.

I stand by this album. It's a super piece of work. These guys still excite 'live' too - in fact, SOI was arguably a better live show than JT30 - maybe the indoor effect. Point being - never drop a band that still mixes it up, and still puts out great music.

Two weeks in and I'm still finding 'things' in some of the tracks, 'things' I relate to me and my relationship with U2's music and subsequent correlation to life events or thoughts or whatever it may be. Music is so personal and so selective and so disposable.

There's a risk that some of U2's past work has been over rated to the detriment of what they are currently producing? For example POP. One of my favourite U2 tracks is 'Do You Feel Loved' - as for the rest of that album ('God Will Send his Angels' & 'Please' aside), I could forego it's existence.

It's all about personal opinion. Rock on U2, Rock on ...rock on.....rock on.

• Like 2

Checking in to say I love the album. The individual song releases didn't work for me. A couple of the songs still don't entirely work for me.  That said, some of U2's stuff have been growers for me. I anticipate the same will happen here. I had my own issues with certain things but made peace with it. I enjoyed the album much better as a whole. I found it to be a journey and listening from beginning to end was the perfect way to experience it. I certainly understand why some aren't happy with the production but to each their own. Play what you like and put away what you don't. I find if I don't pay too much attention to the details I enjoy it more & I enjoy them more.

Copying and pasting what I wrote on one of the home page news articles:

I'm loving the album. Lots of gems and thought-prevoking lyrics. Thank you U2 & co for another fantastic album. Favorite songs so far - Love is all we have left, Summer of love, The little things that give you away, Landlady, & 13 (There is a light). Cant wait until you tour my way. Love you U2!

Looking forward to hearing these played live at the concert I'm attending.

:u2-1383:

Edited by Shannon387
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2017 at 11:37 AM, bettydalton said:

Thanks for writing that.  I've always been embarrassed to admit that I was actually disappointed by The Joshua Tree the very first time I heard it.  I kept waiting for something like "New Year's Day", with chiming guitar solos, but only heard lots of rhythmic strumming with no real solos.  I had to find my way into the songs for the first few days, after which the rest was history.

That doesn't mean that I'll come to love all the tracks on SoE, but it is growing on me.  Still like Little Things, Blackout, and Red Flag Day best.

And yes, they excel live, and the 2018 concerts are sure to be as moving as any of their previous live shows.

Edited by Rich T.

2 hours ago, yardie said:

There's a risk that some of U2's past work has been over rated to the detriment of what they are currently producing? For example POP. One of my favourite U2 tracks is 'Do You Feel Loved' - as for the rest of that album ('God Will Send his Angels' & 'Please' aside), I could forego it's existence.

"Do You Feel Loved" was one of my favorites as well, and I was present when they kicked off that tour in Las Vegas, playing that song, only to abandon it from the live set as too difficult to manage.  The single version of "Please", as played at the MTV awards show that year, was one of the top U2 moments of all time.  I also liked "Gone" from that album.  Here's what I wrote about "Please" on YouTube five years ago:

"U2 was in the middle of the PopMart Tour, and took a break to perform this haunting monster masterpiece of a song to a crowd who didn't know what hit them. Only U2 can make you feel like you are at their own concert for a moment in time, and not just watching some group play a hit as part of the awards show. By the 3:40 mark U2 was filling the arena with the trademark U2 sound that could not be denied.    I remember how U2 came out and owned the show that night with this song that few in the crowd even knew. The band managed to capture in 6 minutes what a U2 show is like.    By the way, this is U2 almost 20 years into their existence. Show me another rock band who puts out this kind of quality and creativity after 20 years. "

Edited by Rich T.

Hello!  First post here, lifelong fan and longtime fan club member, but haven't delved much into forums of any type before.

Happily admit that SOe has exceeded expectations, SOi needed to grow on me before I even liked it, whereas most of this album had me singing to myself throughout the day right out of the hopper!  And it continues to grow into a "real Gem" as the thread-starter indicated.  Production is crazy tight on this one. "Get Out of Your Own Way" and "Summer of Love" sound soooo smooth. I love listening with my good headphones on so I can hear all that is going on.  Sounds great in my truck too, even with a so-so Bose system.

I am so looking forward to traveling down to San Jose in May to see them live - especially American Soul, The Blackout, for heavy stompers, and Red Flag Day for that smooth pop "joyous hope" feel.  "Little Things" blew me away at the end of the JT '17 show in Vancouver.  Hope they perform it again, as it will be even more touching now that I know it.  

Just listened to my favourite 12 minutes of recorded U2 yesterday - 2001 Elevation DVD from Boston - track 13 - "Bad" with 14. "WTSHNN" following, with Bono giving thanks to God and making good on a promise.  I wanted to see how that felt after a steady diet of SOe for the past two weeks on repeat.  I have to admit that while SOe is great, those two songs from earlier still evoke a heck of a lot of raw emotion in me.  Most likely its because I grew up with those songs - they've been constant companions for 30-35 years.  So I don't think it is fair to hold this band accountable to evoking the kind of response instantly with every new album.  Maybe "It's the Little Things That Give You Away" is going to help me through something I cannot foresee in the next 20 years.  I can say for certain that this album is going to be a part of myself and my family's soundtrack for a long time!  My young teens are really enjoying the album, and I have been looking forward to listening to it every chance I get.

Having been to every major tour the boys have ventured out on since JT '87, and including JT '17 most recently, I have to say I enjoyed the i+e show more than JT '17 (Possibly because we got to meet Bono in Montreal two nights before the concert).  Don't get me wrong, it was mind blowing to hear my favourite U2 album played in order, but at i+e I was watching and hearing these new songs tell an old story in a new way, by a group that has been together for 40 years, still creating new and RELEVANT music.  So as much as I absolutely find hearing their pre-millenium songs performed live to be a spiritual experience, I really look forward to seeing how they present their new stuff in concert.

If you have watched the short film in iTunes, you will find snippets of the songs are woven throughout but in remixed formats; some of these sound killer!!!  I would love for them to release some of these.....

All in all, so very very thankful that Larry posted that ad over 40 years ago......

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wakerider1 said:

Hello!  First post here, lifelong fan and longtime fan club member, but haven't delved much into forums of any type before.

Happily admit that SOe has exceeded expectations, SOi needed to grow on me before I even liked it, whereas most of this album had me singing to myself throughout the day right out of the hopper!  And it continues to grow into a "real Gem" as the thread-starter indicated.  Production is crazy tight on this one. "Get Out of Your Own Way" and "Summer of Love" sound soooo smooth. I love listening with my good headphones on so I can hear all that is going on.  Sounds great in my truck too, even with a so-so Bose system.

I am so looking forward to traveling down to San Jose in May to see them live - especially American Soul, The Blackout, for heavy stompers, and Red Flag Day for that smooth pop "joyous hope" feel.  "Little Things" blew me away at the end of the JT '17 show in Vancouver.  Hope they perform it again, as it will be even more touching now that I know it.  

Just listened to my favourite 12 minutes of recorded U2 yesterday - 2001 Elevation DVD from Boston - track 13 - "Bad" with 14. "WTSHNN" following, with Bono giving thanks to God and making good on a promise.  I wanted to see how that felt after a steady diet of SOe for the past two weeks on repeat.  I have to admit that while SOe is great, those two songs from earlier still evoke a heck of a lot of raw emotion in me.  Most likely its because I grew up with those songs - they've been constant companions for 30-35 years.  So I don't think it is fair to hold this band accountable to evoking the kind of response instantly with every new album.  Maybe "It's the Little Things That Give You Away" is going to help me through something I cannot foresee in the next 20 years.  I can say for certain that this album is going to be a part of myself and my family's soundtrack for a long time!  My young teens are really enjoying the album, and I have been looking forward to listening to it every chance I get.

Having been to every major tour the boys have ventured out on since JT '87, and including JT '17 most recently, I have to say I enjoyed the i+e show more than JT '17 (Possibly because we got to meet Bono in Montreal two nights before the concert).  Don't get me wrong, it was mind blowing to hear my favourite U2 album played in order, but at i+e I was watching and hearing these new songs tell an old story in a new way, by a group that has been together for 40 years, still creating new and RELEVANT music.  So as much as I absolutely find hearing their pre-millenium songs performed live to be a spiritual experience, I really look forward to seeing how they present their new stuff in concert.

If you have watched the short film in iTunes, you will find snippets of the songs are woven throughout but in remixed formats; some of these sound killer!!!  I would love for them to release some of these.....

All in all, so very very thankful that Larry posted that ad over 40 years ago......

I love reading comments like yours, which remind me of why I will be at both San Jose shows up against the catwalk.

21 hours ago, unforgettableu2 said:

Betty Dalton....

I love your user name.....clever....;)

You know....some of your exact words have invaded my mind like the plague.

As a fan since 1983.....I have never wavered my commitment and attachment to U2's music. I've had 'doubts' or times of questioning in their artistic transitions/experiments......but, U2 have remained my only favorite band for 34 years.

U2 is always miles ahead of the game.....visionary.....and I respect this most about them as artists.

Like you Betty, I question myself this time around.....wondering if I haven't caught up to their genius yet, like in the past. But no....this time it is different.....

This album has some star feature songs (lights of home, red flag, American soul, Black out, little things give you away & love is bigger than anything in its way).....but, as a whole.....it's not the full potential or even a pinky finger 'scale' of what u2 is capable of. I find myself singing these focal songs in the shower or even shopping in the store(not fully cognitive, until I'm singing a little too loud:o). So this album must be doing something right to elicit this type of excitement.  Like I said, it's a good album......for sure.....but, we've heard this from U2 before....and I am craving a revolution from U2...and I know they have it in them....they haven't tapped into their full spectrum of capabilities.....and I will be patient/wait until they find it.....

I'm not ashamed to say it...if anything, true fans will be honest and objective. I can't say I've ever been this sure before.....but, I know what I know. Collaboratively, U2 has put out some amazing songs in recent years....some really well crafted genius......but, the 'synergized' whole is missing....at least for the type of quality and caliber that U2 is capable of. U2's worst is most artists best......that is a difficult precedent to sustain as long as they have.

U2 is the most extraordinary live band.....they are the Gospel of Rock....They possess the soul with their transcendent music.....like no other.

I am curious what creative direction they will take with these new songs.....and no doubt breathe a new life/spirit in them.....

U2  Live takes their studio albums and animates the lyrics/sounds......into three dimensional, physical form.

I have no doubt this concert will be as amazing as all the others.....U2 never fails live.....if anything.....it makes them stronger and their music/message more vital in meaning/context.

Interesting you don't love this album yet, UnforgettableU2...since from what I've read you post so far you are so in tune with U2's spiritual side. I am also looking for their NEW SOUND like the hammer over the head that AB was, oh so many years ago...and while I don't feel like SOE overall has that new sounds, I was delighted and surprised by the sounds of Love is All We Have Left (yes it's straight out of Passengers but new for U2 as themselves), Summer of Love (though apparently it was a gift from OneRepublic?), and The Showman (I have never heard this sound from them).  But overall it packs such a heartfelt, heartwrenching, searching, soul punch for me, between the new and old sounds, and with the lyrics.  I feel like, sound-wise, the songs do not have that "synergized whole" as you mention; they do sound like they were recorded in bits and pieces in many different places with different producers, but somehow for me the lyrics tie them all together, as do the bookends of the first and last songs.   I really didn't love SOI, so I was so happy to love SOE.   I really enjoy reading all the reactions on this thread to the album, with all the varying impressions.   

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JCF said:

Interesting you don't love this album yet, UnforgettableU2...since from what I've read you post so far you are so in tune with U2's spiritual side. I am also looking for their NEW SOUND like the hammer over the head that AB was, oh so many years ago...and while I don't feel like SOE overall has that new sounds, I was delighted and surprised by the sounds of Love is All We Have Left (yes it's straight out of Passengers but new for U2 as themselves), Summer of Love (though apparently it was a gift from OneRepublic?), and The Showman (I have never heard this sound from them).  But overall it packs such a heartfelt, heartwrenching, searching, soul punch for me, between the new and old sounds, and with the lyrics.  I feel like, sound-wise, the songs do not have that "synergized whole" as you mention; they do sound like they were recorded in bits and pieces in many different places with different producers, but somehow for me the lyrics tie them all together, as do the bookends of the first and last songs.   I really didn't love SOI, so I was so happy to love SOE.   I really enjoy reading all the reactions on this thread to the album, with all the varying impressions.   

JCF....

lets make one thing clear.....I LOVE ANYTHING U2 does.....

Their music is like my children.....I may  constructively 'critique' their work....but, still love it unconditionally. My critiques stem from a place of love for them.....and seeking their very best potential/capabilities.....I refuse to enable by not seeing their body of work objectively. If i sat down with the band....this is what I would tell them  to their face, as  honest 'feedback' from a long time fan. it's just my opinion, and by no means gospel or truth! Art is so subjective and what declares good or quality is very individualistic.

I do like the album....some songs give me chills (lights of home, little things give you away & love is bigger). the chorus in red flag....NO!! bono's voice is hauntingly passionate and full of despair......

Showman I love the lyrics.....and the music has a Roy Orbison   texture....and Bono sings it with a sultry, sexy bastard tonality...

As you stated, JCF  Bono's lyrics/voice are always the book ends.....or the  cohesive glue that binds the songs together.

but, Like you also stated...this album is no bang, hit you over the head genius....like the innovative works of Achtung baby.....Or Rattle and hum

Or....Zooropa,..... ect.  Art for art sake.....created from a true place.....and it delivers effortlessly.

why do you resonate more with SOE than SOI?   I absolutely love  The Troubles! And sleep like a baby..... I think I am partial when Bono sings falsetto.....gets me very time.

speaking of passengers......MY BLUE ROOM....is another U2 beauty! Passengers is a great album.....very experimental endeavor. These type of projects I seek from U2.....

the unexpected and innovative......like "Lemon" or "numb''......or "heartland."......and diversity in arrangement/sound.

"Black out" is a cool song.....much like "Bullet the blue sky" was in 1987....but, it was very innovative  in sound for the time.

I hear all the spiritual elements...JCF.....but, truly.....every single U2 album is spiritually woven in context.....maybe SOE is more profusely direct/personal with Bono's autobiographical  lyrics.....and less cryptic/metaphoric compared to past albums.

11 hours ago, unforgettableu2 said:

JCF....

lets make one thing clear.....I LOVE ANYTHING U2 does.....

Their music is like my children.....I may  constructively 'critique' their work....but, still love it unconditionally. My critiques stem from a place of love for them.....and seeking their very best potential/capabilities.....I refuse to enable by not seeing their body of work objectively. If i sat down with the band....this is what I would tell them  to their face, as  honest 'feedback' from a long time fan. it's just my opinion, and by no means gospel or truth! Art is so subjective and what declares good or quality is very individualistic.

I do like the album....some songs give me chills (lights of home, little things give you away & love is bigger). the chorus in red flag....NO!! bono's voice is hauntingly passionate and full of despair......

Showman I love the lyrics.....and the music has a Roy Orbison   texture....and Bono sings it with a sultry, sexy bastard tonality...

As you stated, JCF  Bono's lyrics/voice are always the book ends.....or the  cohesive glue that binds the songs together.

but, Like you also stated...this album is no bang, hit you over the head genius....like the innovative works of Achtung baby.....Or Rattle and hum

Or....Zooropa,..... ect.  Art for art sake.....created from a true place.....and it delivers effortlessly.

why do you resonate more with SOE than SOI?   I absolutely love  The Troubles! And sleep like a baby..... I think I am partial when Bono sings falsetto.....gets me very time.

speaking of passengers......MY BLUE ROOM....is another U2 beauty! Passengers is a great album.....very experimental endeavor. These type of projects I seek from U2.....

the unexpected and innovative......like "Lemon" or "numb''......or "heartland."......and diversity in arrangement/sound.

"Black out" is a cool song.....much like "Bullet the blue sky" was in 1987....but, it was very innovative  in sound for the time.

I hear all the spiritual elements...JCF.....but, truly.....every single U2 album is spiritually woven in context.....maybe SOE is more profusely direct/personal with Bono's autobiographical  lyrics.....and less cryptic/metaphoric compared to past albums.

Sorry I mischaracterized your feelings on SOE!  And yes! I keep thinking "This is a Roy Orbison kind of song!" when I hear The Showman.

I think I just love the musicality of SOE more than SOI. I love every single song. On SOI there are plenty I just don't connect with, don't enjoy listening to (Cedarwood Road, Raised by Wolves, Iris, Song for Someone) - but wow they all popped when performed live, that's for sure! (Except Song for Someone. I just don't like it. There are a few U2 songs out there I just don't like. I can't imagine anyone liking all 200+ of their songs! I really like 13 There is a Light, though!)  I do love Miracle of Joey Ramone, This is Where You can Find Me, and like you, The Troubles and Sleep Like a Baby.  And the piano/live version of Every Breaking Wave is a masterpiece to me. Funny how the album version just doesn't do much for me.    And I guess I really am connecting with Bono's personal, direct lyrics on SOE.  

I'm like you, I love everything they do! And some things I love more and some things I love less.  (OK. Except for Get on Their Boots. LOL. I just wish they had never made it and I cringe when I hear it!)  

I wonder if the effect of Achtung Baby had a lot to do with them being in their 20s and most of us fans also being in our 20s or teens at that time. (I was 17.) I wonder if that had so much with the hitting -you-over-the-head effect.  Who knows....I love the U2 ride and I'm so grateful that this deep into their career they are reaching deep and making meaningful, well crafted music like this!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JCF said:

Sorry I mischaracterized your feelings on SOE!  And yes! I keep thinking "This is a Roy Orbison kind of song!" when I hear The Showman.

I think I just love the musicality of SOE more than SOI. I love every single song. On SOI there are plenty I just don't connect with, don't enjoy listening to (Cedarwood Road, Raised by Wolves, Iris, Song for Someone) - but wow they all popped when performed live, that's for sure! (Except Song for Someone. I just don't like it. There are a few U2 songs out there I just don't like. I can't imagine anyone liking all 200+ of their songs! I really like 13 There is a Light, though!)  I do love Miracle of Joey Ramone, This is Where You can Find Me, and like you, The Troubles and Sleep Like a Baby.  And the piano/live version of Every Breaking Wave is a masterpiece to me. Funny how the album version just doesn't do much for me.    And I guess I really am connecting with Bono's personal, direct lyrics on SOE.  

I'm like you, I love everything they do! And some things I love more and some things I love less.  (OK. Except for Get on Their Boots. LOL. I just wish they had never made it and I cringe when I hear it!)  

I wonder if the effect of Achtung Baby had a lot to do with them being in their 20s and most of us fans also being in our 20s or teens at that time. (I was 17.) I wonder if that had so much with the hitting -you-over-the-head effect.  Who knows....I love the U2 ride and I'm so grateful that this deep into their career they are reaching deep and making meaningful, well crafted music like this!

JCF,

No need to apologize....you didn't misinterpret my words, you intuitively sensed some accurate contention about the new album in my commentary.

Thanks for your explanation about SOI, and some of your described'discourse' for it. 

This is a very hard subject matter to decipher and articulate.....and if we could 'identify' why some art magically reaches the heart/soul effortlessly and other works do not.....that would be a million dollar thesis.

One thing I do know....is if it was created with authentic spirit/purpose from the original artist....that is all that matters.

The other million dollar question is........does U2 truly like ALL their work? I think what hurts them the most....is when they really like what they have created....and it is misunderstood/devalued by others.

Get what I mean, JCF? I think Rattle and hum.....is one of those artistic endeavors, that they really enjoyed and expanded their creative palette....but was widely criticized/misunderstood. I was one of the few fans, that loved Rattle and hum.....and understood their intentions with making it. Same with "POP"....that record has some brilliant sounds....that I think the band liked....and yet, was not given merit for their experimental efforts.

I am also one of the few U2 fans that really do not like  songs "vertigo"(my least favorite), "beautiful day"  or "elevation" as much as the mass population did. Doesn't mean I don't think they are bad or not valid....they just don't speak to my heart....like other u2 songs.....that may have been given zero acknowledgment that are far better musical pieces of craftmanship. Get on your boots...may have been different....if Bono took out that title/lyrics....and replaced it with something more meaningful and less shallow. But, I believe that was his point....and the irony of the song.(it didn't translate well & was taken literally).

My ear tends to gravitate to a more complex texture and collaboration of lyrics/music.....not one or the other.....does that make sense?

It's like sex......There is the mechanical/biological aspect of it for mere procreation or just the physical gratification of it.....but when it's coupled with "love" it becomes a  a complete spiritual union. This is the only metaphoric analogy I can describe that makes me love one U2 song more than another.

Does age make a difference in creating art/music from a genius, awe inspiring place? Maybe?????

When we are young.....and less inhibited......the mind is a open canvas.....willing to take risks......that an older person may be too cautious to explore.(due to past experiences/cause-effect/ known consequences).

Was Achtung Baby/Zooropa born from this place? A turning point in shaping their current sound....that will forever be a template in their creative influence? 

Only U2 can answer that.....but, I think every Artist has their( 'Achtung Baby' moment, at different success scales, of course).....and always wants to recapture that element of genius,...not necessarily the same collection of ideas. ART always begins with a idea.....and how original/innovative that "idea" is....may determine it's success dependent on how original it is in contrast to the norm.

YET...... some artists can be so visionary.....that it is too complex/innovative for it's cultural norms/time. SOE is not this.....and I wish that is what the problem was.....but, it's not weird enough for me....but, for many,....that is why they like it. Safe & predictable.....

Edited by unforgettableu2

Great to see many really can like this album even love well I love them as a bunch of guys and a great band in the eye of eternity but this album like the previous is just not at all my cup of tea. Little Things a real song (+ 13 + Book Of Your Heart - these three altogether is the new way and very very good)  and how funny, it is originally from All That You Cant Leave Behind -days. Otherwise Bono sounds utterly sadly a bit fake I mean the 1st song wtf?! is that and the lyrics and how he tries and tries but... and the sound of the album is just no good. Have not bought their records After No Line in Horizon and even though last night in tears watching The Joshua Tree tour 17 in Dublin (why, cos I kinda love them as a bunch of professionals and personalities and the path I loved the music too they produced. And the crowd:wub: ) I am no more very interested in general of this kind of stuff and sound they bring out. And I am not sure if they really are either. 

Edited by jaanakulo

Personally i think SOI is a far stronger album than SOE . I find a few songs on SOE quite boring and some just too poppy. Little Things, The Blackout and Red Flag Day are the best tracks for me, other songs don't really resonate with me. Usually i listen to a new U2 album and can't wait to play it again but that is not happening with this album. Hopefully in time it will grow on me, just don't think it will. Hopefully on the next album they won't worry about having hits and make amazing music they are still capable of. If the album grows on me i will write another review! 

On 17/12/2017 at 3:42 PM, jaanakulo said:

Great to see many really can like this album even love well I love them as a bunch of guys and a great band in the eye of eternity but this album like the previous is just not at all my cup of tea. Little Things is the only real song (+ 13) and how funny, it is originally from All That You Cant Leave Behind -days. Otherwise Bono sounds utterly sadly a bit fake I mean the 1st song wtf?! is that and the lyrics and how he tries and tries but... and the sound of the album is just no good. Have not bought their records After No Line in Horizon and even though last night in tears watching The Joshua Tree tour 17 in Dublin (why, cos I kinda love them as a bunch of professionals and personalities and the path I loved the music too they produced. And the crowd:wub: ) I am no more very interested of this kind of stuff and sound they bring out. And I am not sure if they really are either. 

I have to agree with you im afraid to say. Apart from a few songs i just can't get into this album. They should stop worrying about being played on the radio and just make amazing stuff i know they are still capable of. They just sound like any other band with half of the songs on SOE. The first song should never be the opener and the last song along with a couple of others are just not good enough im afraid. 

On 16/12/2017 at 7:22 PM, unforgettableu2 said:

JCF,

No need to apologize....you didn't misinterpret my words, you intuitively sensed some accurate contention about the new album in my commentary.

Thanks for your explanation about SOI, and some of your described'discourse' for it. 

This is a very hard subject matter to decipher and articulate.....and if we could 'identify' why some art magically reaches the heart/soul effortlessly and other works do not.....that would be a million dollar thesis.

One thing I do know....is if it was created with authentic spirit/purpose from the original artist....that is all that matters.

The other million dollar question is........does U2 truly like ALL their work? I think what hurts them the most....is when they really like what they have created....and it is misunderstood/devalued by others.

Get what I mean, JCF? I think Rattle and hum.....is one of those artistic endeavors, that they really enjoyed and expanded their creative palette....but was widely criticized/misunderstood. I was one of the few fans, that loved Rattle and hum.....and understood their intentions with making it. Same with "POP"....that record has some brilliant sounds....that I think the band liked....and yet, was not given merit for their experimental efforts.

I am also one of the few U2 fans that really do not like  songs "vertigo"(my least favorite), "beautiful day"  or "elevation" as much as the mass population did. Doesn't mean I don't think they are bad or not valid....they just don't speak to my heart....like other u2 songs.....that may have been given zero acknowledgment that are far better musical pieces of craftmanship. Get on your boots...may have been different....if Bono took out that title/lyrics....and replaced it with something more meaningful and less shallow. But, I believe that was his point....and the irony of the song.(it didn't translate well & was taken literally).

My ear tends to gravitate to a more complex texture and collaboration of lyrics/music.....not one or the other.....does that make sense?

It's like sex......There is the mechanical/biological aspect of it for mere procreation or just the physical gratification of it.....but when it's coupled with "love" it becomes a  a complete spiritual union. This is the only metaphoric analogy I can describe that makes me love one U2 song more than another.

Does age make a difference in creating art/music from a genius, awe inspiring place? Maybe?????

When we are young.....and less inhibited......the mind is a open canvas.....willing to take risks......that an older person may be too cautious to explore.(due to past experiences/cause-effect/ known consequences).

Was Achtung Baby/Zooropa born from this place? A turning point in shaping their current sound....that will forever be a template in their creative influence? 

Only U2 can answer that.....but, I think every Artist has their( 'Achtung Baby' moment, at different success scales, of course).....and always wants to recapture that element of genius,...not necessarily the same collection of ideas. ART always begins with a idea.....and how original/innovative that "idea" is....may determine it's success dependent on how original it is in contrast to the norm.

YET...... some artists can be so visionary.....that it is too complex/innovative for it's cultural norms/time. SOE is not this.....and I wish that is what the problem was.....but, it's not weird enough for me....but, for many,....that is why they like it. Safe & predictable.....

Safe and predictable is definitely the problem with SOE. Let other bands do that. 

5 hours ago, willo66 said:

Little Things, The Blackout and Red Flag Day are the best tracks for me

For me as well.  And someone wrote that Little Things was actually a song originally written during All That You Can't Leave Behind.   Book of Your Heart is a good final song, but is not officially part of the album.

Edited by Rich T.

On 12/16/2017 at 2:22 PM, unforgettableu2 said:

JCF,

I wonder if they have more "Passengers" albums in them. Pure experimental stuff...I remember Adam saying something in an interview once about maybe one day just making music for themselves and the fans, not aiming for relevance and radio play.  Anyway, I'm still pleasantly surprised at how much I love SOE. I wasn't expecting to, so I'm so glad I love it. I totally understand yours and others' critiques of it, they make sense. Luckily I just love the music, the sound, the lyrics, on this album so the critiques don't get in the way for me!  I can't wait to see the shows live. 

• Like 1