hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

3 hours ago, brendo1704 said:

Apologies if this has already been discussed and is immediately obvious to everyone else, but the guitar at the end of  TLTTGYA seems to incorporate "Is that All" (from October). Anyone else noticed this?  

Brendo....

I attempted to replay "Is That All"? in my head to search for similarities with TLTTGYA.......but failed, so then I played it......and I didn't find it to resonate the same.  I do hear a similar spiritual theme return in SOE....that was clearly evident in the October album.  A theme of who I am? What is my purpose? What does God want from me? I also hear unresolved anger,  sadness and emptiness caused by Iris's death and issues with how Bono's dad dealt with it. Maybe Bono went full circle with these very  emotions as a young man....now as a older middle aged man, who experience his own near death experience????

But, I honestly think of "BAD" every time I hear TLTTGYA......not the same sound....but just the way the song builds and spirals into this pressurized emotion being suppressed  by anxiety, pain and fear......that  suddenly bursts to reveal and expose all the truth that has been numb/desensitized for so long.

Edited by unforgettableu2

1 hour ago, unforgettableu2 said:

Brendo....

I attempted to replay "Is That All"? in my head to search for similarities with TLTTGYA.......but failed, so then I played it......and I didn't find it to resonate the same.  I do hear a similar spiritual theme return in SOE....that was clearly evident in the October album.  A theme of who I am? What is my purpose? What does God want from me? I also hear unresolved anger,  sadness and emptiness caused by Iris's death and issues with how Bono's dad dealt with it. Maybe Bono went full circle with these very  emotions as a young man....now as a older middle aged man, who experience his own near death experience????

But, I honestly think of "BAD" every time I hear TLTTGYA......not the same sound....but just the way the song builds and spirals into this pressurized emotion being suppressed  by anxiety, pain and fear......that  suddenly bursts to reveal and expose all the truth that has been numb/desensitized for so long.

It is just the guitar part at the end.  If I was a musician I could give you some chords I guess.  The sound of the guitar in the end, to me, sounds like the melody from is that all (is that aaaa-aaaa-aaaaalll".  

Yes...I am pretty much musical dufus.  Having said that I have great taste in music :)

10 hours ago, brendo1704 said:

It is just the guitar part at the end.  If I was a musician I could give you some chords I guess.  The sound of the guitar in the end, to me, sounds like the melody from is that all (is that aaaa-aaaa-aaaaalll".  

Yes...I am pretty much musical dufus.  Having said that I have great taste in music :)

brendo...

I didn't  intend to diminish your opinion or observation about comparing the similarity in sound between Is That All & TLTTGYA.....really....that wasn't my intention. I don't play a instrument, but, I do have a 'good ear' or memory for sounds. Just because I didn't hear it....doesn't mean I am right....by any stretch of the imagination!:D

Truthfully, U2  often utilizes the same 'chords'...and arranges them differently to create a new pattern of sounds.....kind of like the same letters create different 'words' arranged in a different order. ex. saw/was or ate/eat.

You probably have a good ear, better than many....and have picked up on this correlation of the same chords arranged in different patterns...but still the same chords!!!;)

Truthfully....I find myself attempting to place where have I heard that sound before...in which particular 'u2' song.....especially in SOE.....there is considerable overlapping in sounds. Its inevitable......especially after 40 years of making music.....its human nature to repeat what we re familiar with and know....even if its on a subconscious/subliminal level.....

Edited by unforgettableu2

Can you imagine someone (like Bono) singing "Book of Your Heart" to you?!  Ultimate WOW!!!    He belts this one out with the same strength as in "Pride" in the days of the "Unforgettable Fire"....   I wonder if Ali ever sings back to him?!...  

Any honest opinion is obviously legitimate , but one aspect of this album which I think is undeniable, is that it is an incredibly thoughtful album.

It's incredibly honest, nuanced in some metaphorical mis-directions and I suspect, likely written quickly.

Someone else here mentioned it seemed rushed. I think there is immense difference in rushing or pushing something out and being deeply inspired.

If you experienced those moments, you know how the words, actions, art...whatever it might be, just 'write' themselves. This is an age 50 something- WAR

There is such anguish and despair. There is hope, but its not naïve and may not be optimism per se. Just hope or a personal prayer possibly. It exists but isn't a guaranteed save.

We all know the U2 character - esp Bono's, well enough after all these years to appreciate, the man has such deep soul and empathy - and evidently, is a tough enough dude to just go after those people or situations that cause so much harm.

I am loving it now. I didn't initially. But in knowing where these tunes come from and not getting any younger myself, we have to consider the message, don't let evil win in your community or in the world. Call it out. I couldn't agree more. And so I sing these songs ( privately in my car ! - if you heard my voice you would appreciate that ) and they become 4 dimensional. Cheers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Brilliant 1

24 minutes ago, economicformula said:

Any honest opinion is obviously legitimate , but one aspect of this album which I think is undeniable, is that it is an incredibly thoughtful album.

It's incredibly honest, nuanced in some metaphorical mis-directions and I suspect, likely written quickly.

Someone else here mentioned it seemed rushed. I think there is immense difference in rushing or pushing something out and being deeply inspired.

If you experienced those moments, you know how the words, actions, art...whatever it might be, just 'write' themselves. This is an age 50 something- WAR

There is such anguish and despair. There is hope, but its not naïve and may not be optimism per se. Just hope or a personal prayer possibly. It exists but isn't a guaranteed save.

We all know the U2 character - esp Bono's, well enough after all these years to appreciate, the man has such deep soul and empathy - and evidently, is a tough enough dude to just go after those people or situations that cause so much harm.

I am loving it now. I didn't initially. But in knowing where these tunes come from and not getting any younger myself, we have to consider the message, don't let evil win in your community or in the world. Call it out. I couldn't agree more. And so I sing these songs ( privately in my car ! - if you heard my voice you would appreciate that ) and they become 4 dimensional. Cheers.

Beautiful post. Thank you for sharing. 

• Like 1

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 1:30 AM, BigBunny said:

I love Red Flag Day. I like most of the 2nd half of the album. when I read your post I had to look at he lyrics.

are you talking about the middle 8 where he says something about watching the News and many lost in the water?

Sorry, haven't been on here for a fortnight - didn't mean to ignore your question- Yes, this is what I meant.

Also, "The lights of Home" has really grown on me, "U2 at the BBC" helped as the performance of this song was just awesome.

• Like 1

I've been a fan since 1984 and I think the last two records have been two of the strongest of the bands entire career. The I&E tour was utterly mind blowing. I saw the Joshua Tree tour in Rome and it showed how much confidence they currently have opening with a salvo of Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day, and Bad and then straight into Streets. I hope the set for E&I focuses more heavily on post Joshua Tree period  - I'd love to hear a few tracks from Zooropa and Pop, as well as Acrobat (the eternal wish), and Love is Blindness. Book of your Heart, Ordinary Love, and practically anything from SOE with the exception of 'Love is bigger than anything in its way'. I'd bet a fair amount they'll open with 'Love is all we have left' and 'The Blackout'....

Edited by Paulj101
  • Like 1

I think this album is definitely one on their poorest.The best song on the album for me is Landlady that's an absolute belter of a song.The only others that I think are very good are TLTTGYA,Blackout,Lights of Home and LIBTAIIW.

YTBTAM for me is quite possibly U2's worst song.I think the music is passable and catchy but the lyrics are absolutely woeful,that will defo be a toilet/bar break moment for me on the tour.GOOYOW is excellent minus the actual title of the song in the chorus,That's what spoils it a bit for me I just don't think it works all that well.American Soul is just pure cringe for me also I can't take to it.The rest of the songs do nothing for me and just feel like fillers although 1 or 2 might be alot better live.

On 1/10/2018 at 5:21 PM, economicformula said:

I highlighted one line of yours because it is what is really catching me about the album, especially the end of what you wrote - lyrically, this is an album that Bono only could have written in very recent years. That is, these really are "Songs of Experience", with lyrics that one would need a lot of experience living to write convincingly. The suggestion given to Bono to "write as if you're dead" seems to have been followed very well.

I'll expound on the lyrics more later, but IMHO this is one of Bono's very best bits of writing. I really, really like the words (and the music :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10-1-2018 at 11:21 PM, economicformula said:

Could be my words!! I feel exactly the same!!!
Even the part of singing in the car alone, haha.

I love everything that been shared on the BBC Show.

Anyone knows when it will be available to stream in Nordic Countries?

This albums grows for every time one listen. Will be interesting to see what other songs they will perform together with the Experience album.

agree with sazshackle and stealthboy, interesting also to read what others share. :)

On 18/01/2018 at 4:06 PM, King_Of_Kings said:

I think this album is definitely one on their poorest.The best song on the album for me is Landlady that's an absolute belter of a song.The only others that I think are very good are TLTTGYA,Blackout,Lights of Home and LIBTAIIW.

YTBTAM for me is quite possibly U2's worst song.I think the music is passable and catchy but the lyrics are absolutely woeful,that will defo be a toilet/bar break moment for me on the tour.GOOYOW is excellent minus the actual title of the song in the chorus,That's what spoils it a bit for me I just don't think it works all that well.American Soul is just pure cringe for me also I can't take to it.The rest of the songs do nothing for me and just feel like fillers although 1 or 2 might be alot better live.

songs 2-6 on SOE are just ok for me & I expect great songs from U2. the opening track & songs from 7-13 are great (though The Showman is an exception, it's ok not great) when I first heard YTBTAM I was like, 'this is what U2 have been saving up for us? wtf? but now it's grown on me and I don't mind it. the song that I think is possibly U2's worst song is GOOYOW, it is bloody awful! <_< a rehash of Beautiful Day. I thought Beautiful Day was an overrated song but GOOYOW sucks! a slow start that builds up to a chorus that I couldn't give 2 craps about. I can't believe the band chose this song as the next single!! what are they thinking? are they thinking??  also American Soul, music is good, lyrics utter shite! :Zoo_Baby:

Bono, I'm tired of your obsession with the USA dude. b*tchin' about politics again, please spare me. I know others will say 'well U2 have always been political' yeah, I know and I'm fine with that. if there's a song that works like SBS, Raised By Wolves, Bullet The Blue Sky, feck yeah bring it on like Donkey Kong! but American Soul, the lyrics are just a b*tch fest about the USA. I'm not even American and it annoys me. 

The video for 'get out of your own way' is awful.

Like cartoon cut outs - no live features of the band.

What happened the roof top leaks in Mexico City where it felt like a video was being made, with excitement.

Not impressed at all - and feck the US president - we all know he's a dick!

14 hours ago, BigBunny said:

songs 2-6 on SOE are just ok for me & I expect great songs from U2. the opening track & songs from 7-13 are great (though The Showman is an exception, it's ok not great) when I first heard YTBTAM I was like, 'this is what U2 have been saving up for us? wtf? but now it's grown on me and I don't mind it. the song that I think is possibly U2's worst song is GOOYOW, it is bloody awful! <_< a rehash of Beautiful Day. I thought Beautiful Day was an overrated song but GOOYOW sucks! a slow start that builds up to a chorus that I couldn't give 2 craps about. I can't believe the band chose this song as the next single!! what are they thinking? are they thinking??  also American Soul, music is good, lyrics utter shite! :Zoo_Baby:

Bono, I'm tired of your obsession with the USA dude. b*tchin' about politics again, please spare me. I know others will say 'well U2 have always been political' yeah, I know and I'm fine with that. if there's a song that works like SBS, Raised By Wolves, Bullet The Blue Sky, feck yeah bring it on like Donkey Kong! but American Soul, the lyrics are just a b*tch fest about the USA. I'm not even American and it annoys me. 

When I had the notification that you quoted my post I was half expecting it to be from a fanboy/girl trying to slate me for slating the album,so thanks for your honesty it's refreshing on here from what I've seen already.I've never noticed the Beautiful Day rehash for GOOYOW but it's defo ringing a bell now that you've mentioned it,and don't get me started on Beautiful Day,it's a good song but also overrated for me too.