hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

15 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Yes.  I like it that much.  That does not mean it has the  cultural impact of TJT and AB, however; it's that good for me.  I respect your opinion and comments.  I disagree, but do so with respect.

Hello, just so you know i didn't make the comments, i think somehow i replied to someone else with their quote and my name now links to their quote :D. For the record i absolutely love SOE and whilst not to the same level as JT and AB, it for me is their best work (most consistent) since POP, alongside NLOTH.

I couldn’t understand why Fez/BeingBorn has never been played live. 

It’s quite possibly one o& the best songs they’ve written this side of the millennium.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KEV ANGELL said:

Absolutely, Magnificent should have been the lead single and pretty sure album would have done better than it did. That being said NLOTH was a brilliant album and to me their best work since POP until SOE. Album was more in tune with The Unforgettable Fire than any other album had been, probably why I loved it as UF is my favourite album. Loved the tie up with the films too which gave it an even deeper feel to it.

Was well received with music press too, think Q gave it 5 stars but didn’t sell as well as expected.

Would love to hear it get some exposure again on the tour next year.

sorry, did you tie in SOE with TUF? I'm having trouble understanding what you meant. are you saying they have a similar sound or emotional attachment for you? 

edit: wait, do you mean NLOTH has the same feel as TUF? < have I got that right?

edgemofoax3.gif.93e0a6710c67a37d43d25fdcf0163a79.gif

Edited by BigBunny

41 minutes ago, BigBunny said:

sorry, did you tie in SOE with TUF? I'm having trouble understanding what you meant. are you saying they have a similar sound or emotional attachment for you? 

edit: wait, do you mean NLOTH has the same feel as TUF? < have I got that right?

edgemofoax3.gif.93e0a6710c67a37d43d25fdcf0163a79.gif

Yes the latter I feel NLOTH has a similar feel to UF did, it took me back to it when I first listened. A bit like Red Flag Day takes me back to War. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KEV ANGELL said:

Yes the latter I feel NLOTH has a similar feel to UF did, it took me back to it when I first listened.

I'm glad to hear someone else say this - I have always regarded NLOTH as the quasi-equivalent of UF for the new millennium. 

4 hours ago, adrnik said:

I couldn’t understand why Fez/BeingBorn has never been played live. 

It’s quite possibly one o& the best songs they’ve written this side of the millennium.

Yes - I love those two as well.

Those into "White As Snow", "Breathe", and "Cedars of Lebanon" (another underrated track) made a great closing for a great album.

Back on topic: SOE is pleasing me every time I listen to it. I can't wait to hear many of these songs live.

12 hours ago, KEV ANGELL said:

Yes the latter I feel NLOTH has a similar feel to UF did, it took me back to it when I first listened. A bit like Red Flag Day takes me back to War. 

gotcha. I never linked NLOTH to TUF but then I haven't listened to TUF in awhile and I became a fan of U2 when Achtung Baby was released. so the 90's U2 are the band I really love.

11 hours ago, dmway said:

Those into "White As Snow", "Breathe", and "Cedars of Lebanon" (another underrated track) made a great closing for a great album.

Back on topic: SOE is pleasing me every time I listen to it. I can't wait to hear many of these songs live.

I sang some of 'Breathe' in an ER heh.gif.deb17232423074b280a3b1e954865081.gif I can find it funny now but at the time I wasn't breathing and my brother told me to "breathe" so I sang some of Pink Floyd's 'Breathe' & U2's. actually I basically yelled "Breathe! find the courage to walk out.." 

sorry, back on topice for me too. yesterday I got some new headphones (some cheap Sony's but they are good) I listened to 'LIBTAIIW' with them through my phone and I actually started to cry. 

In a previous thread I said that I thought NLOTH felt like a companion piece to Pop: Boots/Discotheque, Cedars/Wake Up Dead Man, Stand Up Comedy/Holy Joe

I reckon TUF, especially the B-sides, hints at an early Achtung Baby.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigBunny said:

I haven't listened to TUF in awhile and I became a fan of U2 when Achtung Baby was released. so the 90's U2 are the band I really love.

1987 to 1997 is their golden era imo.

Edited by Grande 3:16

7 hours ago, Grande 3:16 said:

N'ah, if we are talking 'golden eras'- generally a short space in time in the timeline lifespan, for me 85-93. But then , that's just ridiculous really. It's certainly, imo, when they were at their best live.

That said. This is a band that has gone beyond that micro measurement. They mean so many different things to so many people of different generations. They probably haven't brought the millennials along with them, but X n Y, It's all about choice.:)

23 hours ago, dmway said:

They’ll probably only play regularly 6 songs off the album.

Which 6 would you like?

They May rotate a couple?

So which ones will they never play live?

I doubt we'll hear live

red flag day

showman

summer of love

love is all we have left

Edited by yardie

On 1/24/2018 at 10:35 PM, dmway said:

...and just to get back on topic...

I'm still loving SOE! :)

Thank you so much for posting the above.  It is greatly appreciated.   I'm loving SOE more and more.  I cannot get enough.  It's gotten to when do I stop listening so I don't over listen!   Gotta love that but thanks, dmway.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, yardie said:

red flag day

Hey yardie?   Why do you doubt we'll hear Red Flag Day?  No!!!!   I want it and cannot be alone.  I was hoping they'd end with Love is All We Have Left, only it gets played as/after they leave the stage or something of the sort.  Why no Red Flag Day?????????

On 1/25/2018 at 12:23 PM, KEV ANGELL said:

Hello, just so you know i didn't make the comments, i think somehow i replied to someone else with their quote and my name now links to their quote :D. For the record i absolutely love SOE and whilst not to the same level as JT and AB, it for me is their best work (most consistent) since POP, alongside NLOTH.

I thought you seemed more enlightened, Kev Angell.   I'm just kidding.  We all have our own tastes/opinions.  It sure is nice when others agree, however.  I'm glad you love SOE.  Oh....hello!

Edited by Manohlive

15 hours ago, Grande 3:16 said:

In a previous thread I said that I thought NLOTH felt like a companion piece to Pop: Boots/Discotheque, Cedars/Wake Up Dead Man, Stand Up Comedy/Holy Joe

I reckon TUF, especially the B-sides, hints at an early Achtung Baby.

Good observations in the first line - I think this kind of comparison can be made with many albums, e.g., it has the same kind of pairings with AB to my ears - to your pairings, add "Even Better Than The Real Thing", "Love Is Blindness", and "The Fly" respectively.

Your second comment is literally true. The first real sonic hint for AB was their version of "Night and Day" recorded for the "Red Hot and Blue" CD (post-LoveTown tour/pre-AB sessions). The opening to that song is taken straight from the b-sides "Boomerang I" and "Boomerang II" from the UF sessions.

As I've said before, UF isn't my favorite album, but it is their most important one. Without the daring sense of adventure and change in established direction for that album, both JT and AB wouldn't have been possible.

6 hours ago, dmway said:

Good observations in the first line - I think this kind of comparison can be made with many albums, e.g., it has the same kind of pairings with AB to my ears - to your pairings, add "Even Better Than The Real Thing", "Love Is Blindness", and "The Fly" respectively.

Your second comment is literally true. The first real sonic hint for AB was their version of "Night and Day" recorded for the "Red Hot and Blue" CD (post-LoveTown tour/pre-AB sessions). The opening to that song is taken straight from the b-sides "Boomerang I" and "Boomerang II" from the UF sessions.

As I've said before, UF isn't my favorite album, but it is their most important one. Without the daring sense of adventure and change in established direction for that album, both JT and AB wouldn't have been possible.

Agree UF assessment it isn’t their best album but it is my favourite and probably their most important as it was the prequel to JT and AB and Zooropa too in many ways. Opening notes to Sort of Homecoming always send a tingle through me when I put it on, I can remember putting it on my turntable that first time lying back and being transported to another time, another place ?

• Like 1

On 26/01/2018 at 8:56 PM, Grande 3:16 said:

1997 was their mirror ball era :Mirrorball::D

boomcha.gif.5b7343e7534c45f6d47f1996b3ae91f0.gif

18 hours ago, adrnik said:

They’ll probably only play regularly 6 songs off the album.

Which 6 would you like?

They May rotate a couple?

So which ones will they never play live?

I would like to hear live: TLTTGYA, LIBTAIIW, Red Flag Day, The Landlady, The Blackout & as an opener LIAWHL.

but I'm in Australia and probably won't hear anything live ewok.gif.6b11305b61c5622b98ce29209639d34c.gif

7 hours ago, KEV ANGELL said:

Agree UF assessment it isn’t their best album but it is my favourite and probably their most important as it was the prequel to JT and AB and Zooropa too in many ways. Opening notes to Sort of Homecoming always send a tingle through me when I put it on, I can remember putting it on my turntable that first time lying back and being transported to another time, another place ?

Yes - I also equate UF and Zooropa as well; believe it or not, I also put the Passengers album in the same category as those two. Then it struck me what all three have in common - they are the three albums into which Brian Eno had the most input. On JT, AB, and ATYCLB, Eno's input was roughly equal with Lanois' - however, on these three (i.e., UF, Zooropa, and Passengers) Eno's influence is very prominent (I'm half-tempted to add NLOTH to this trio as well). Another thing about these three albums is that I listen to them most in the winter - all three have this what I want to call a "contemplative" sound to them which fits with shorter days of the winter (note this comment is made more on the sound of the music than the lyrics, but in many songs they lyrics fit as well).

Fully agree on the opening to ASOH - that is one of my very favorite song (and album) openings in U2's catalogue. :) (I was sad that on the JT anniversary tour last year that I didn't get to hear it live - it was surreal to feel a little let down that we "only" got "Bad" at the two shows I saw! :D I love "Bad", but I have heard it live lots of times; I don't know if I have ever heard ASOH live - maybe the E & I tour will be my chance...)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Hey yardie?   Why do you doubt we'll hear Red Flag Day?  No!!!!   I want it and cannot be alone.  I was hoping they'd end with Love is All We Have Left, only it gets played as/after they leave the stage or something of the sort.  Why no Red Flag Day?????????

Manohlive , I base that on no sound judgement whatsoever. I think RFD is a great track by the way - I just feel it's one of those tracks that will struggle to get into a 22-24 song set list given the growing back catalogue of this exceptional band! 

Just my opinion. So many U2 tracks fall into that category. It depends how much of the show they want to give over to the new songs. My view is that bands (including U2) in their formative / earlier years give obviously more showtime to the new music, U2's problem however, is finding the balance between playing the 'classics' and promoting the new. They only have so much time on stage.

Unless they jump to a 3hr set, it must be hard for them to decide what's in / what's out.

So JT30 is done. Do they now make the brave step to drop some of the stalwarts from that album to free up set space to include more of the new?

Has SBS it's day, and it's time to move on?

Can you imagine a set list without 'Steets', 'WOWY' or 'Still Haven't found...' ?

They can drop big tunes, they've done it before.

Will be interesting.

• Like 1

Wel.......I’m in a hurry and spelled well with one l. Evidently not in such a hurry to note that. So hyperbole be fairly warned. Here comes the shit train. Get ( the f ..k) out if your own way.  Tied number 1 with the beautifully alarming g Red Flag Day as my favourite. What a video. PLEASE. PLEASE PLEASE get off of your knees and don’t let anyone off the hook with this sense that you have gone too far. In representing the simplicity of right vs wrong.... That’s the style of reasonable ‘ normal’ empathetic creatures of which most of us are that even...EVEN in the face of clear BAT SHIT evil, we defer  Pu your acting classes to good use ( I know you are nice but get mean and pointed in a relentless way ) and don’t become Squamish at push back. It IS f u. Led up. It is, isn’t it ?  Yea. When the bully replies...just f  Ck them up intellectually. 

The above message was brought to you by the Cdn regional brewer of Richards Red. RICKARDS RED. A wonder source of liquid courage I am grateful to not always having the need to expose crap. My three ti e broken nose my not agree but at those moments, out ruled by my brain. luckily. LUCKILY. 

1 hour ago, yardie said:

Manohlive , I base that on no sound judgement whatsoever. I think RFD is a great track by the way - I just feel it's one of those tracks that will struggle to get into a 22-24 song set list given the growing back catalogue of this exceptional band! 

Just my opinion. So many U2 tracks fall into that category. It depends how much of the show they want to give over to the new songs. My view is that bands (including U2) in their formative / earlier years give obviously more showtime to the new music, U2's problem however, is finding the balance between playing the 'classics' and promoting the new. They only have so much time on stage.

Unless they jump to a 3hr set, it must be hard for them to decide what's in / what's out.

So JT30 is done. Do they now make the brave step to drop some of the stalwarts from that album to free up set space to include more of the new?

Has SBS it's day, and it's time to move on?

Can you imagine a set list without 'Steets', 'WOWY' or 'Still Haven't found...' ?

They can drop big tunes, they've done it before.

Will be interesting.

Hey yardie. they can drop 'ISHFWILF' easily, Streets is an obvious keeper. I never tire of hearing it live. also didn't U2 drop 'one' from their set in 2015?? imo that is U2's best song. if they can drop that off the set list then WOWY can be given a night off every now and then. if they don't drop WOWY & ISHFWILF then fan who have been with them for decades are going to be denied hearing new songs live. I was really stoked that 360 came to Perth. but I only heard 4 songs from NLOTH and one of those was a remix. I wanted to hear Unknown Caller or Breathe. Instead I got Beautfiul Day & fecking Vertigo.... now I know Perth didn't get the Vertigo tour but like many other fans I travelled to Adelaide to see them.

these are the songs from the new album that I think U2 will play first up on the E&I tour. 'Lights Of Home', 'YTBTAM' (a safe single song), 'GOOYOW' (the weakest song on the album imo yet it's the new single), 'American Soul' < they are going to play this song to death on the USA tour. 'TLTTGYA' < easily the best song on the album, one of those rare U2 'goosebump' songs. they played it last year during TJT didn't they?? please correct me if I'm wrong. I think those 5 songs are going to be in the set list for the USA dates. they may include another song, maybe 'The Showman' for a bit of fun on the B-stage (assuming there is a B-stage).

I also think they can move on from playing SBS as they now have 'Raised By Wolves'. I'm not saying the song is better but SBS has had 34 years to be played live.

EdgeGif.gif.533f89e2e45c1052361c6e5a6a85b102.gif

GONE. All time favourite tune live or otherwise but esp live.  Depending upon if and how they play RFDay, could alter my universe. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, economicformula said:

GONE. All time favourite tune live or otherwise but esp live.  Depending upon if and how they play RFDay, could alter my universe. 

they have ignored *POP* for too long. for me if I could hear a *POP* song live again it would be either Mofo or LNOE. GONE is easily in the top 4 of that album along with Please

I saw Popmart once 20 years ago and sadly I can't remember much about the show :Zoo_Baby:

edgemofoax3.gif.f53e2fc555b28c8fc57abef07021cf6b.gif