hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

3 hours ago, economicformula said:

GONE. All time favourite tune live or otherwise but esp live.  Depending upon if and how they play RFDay, could alter my universe. 

Yep - LOVE Gone. GREAT song. IMHO, Red Flag Day will make the playlist...I'm right or I'm not... :)

3 hours ago, BigBunny said:

they have ignored *POP* for too long. for me if I could hear a *POP* song live again it would be either Mofo or LNOE. GONE is easily in the top 4 of that album along with Please

I saw Popmart once 20 years ago and sadly I can't remember much about the show :Zoo_Baby:

edgemofoax3.gif.f53e2fc555b28c8fc57abef07021cf6b.gif

...and that's why you need to watch the Mexico City DVD again! :D

I love how this thread seems to talk about almost every album but SOE sometimes!

Well, in honor of its being ignored in its own thread, I'm off to listen to it again. :)

7 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

Global Sales are poor though compared to the old days.

That's true for rock music across the board - no surprise there...

Tragically, we live in a rap/hip-hop and lame pop music world now. (No disrespect to the first - all the disrespect I can muster for the second.)

7 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

Global Sales are poor though compared to the old days.

Sadly, downloading has seriously affected record/cd sales for all music and the charts mean nothing anymore. Rock will make a comeback at some point in the next few years, it always does. Playing live is now the main way Bands make money and is probably a lot to do with U2 touring 3 times in the last 5 years, especially as they are sadly coming to the end of their careers in next 5 - 10 or so years. U2 are probably weirdly more popular globally than they have ever been but less so in the UK as music fans here are a little bit snobby for some reason but thats why i love this band, they just do their thing. People claim they are too political now but they have always been political as we the fans know and understand, i suppose social media just gives people a louder voice these days.

• Like 1

Coldplay sold over a million copies of a head full of dreams in the U.K. SOE 60000. That’s pretty woeful even by today’s standards.

I agree U2 get an awful press in the UK

Edited by doctornickriviera

3 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

'Cause they're Irish. U2 don't really get awful press in Northern Ireland though, which is also part of the UK. They are very much embraced 'up north' :lol:

3 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

Coldplay sold over a million copies of a head full of dreams in the U.K. SOE 60000. That’s pretty woeful even by today’s standards.

but the masses love Coldplay because they are the Soylent Green of music puke.gif.be055a441adf8325de93a71498dc3131.gif

39 minutes ago, yardie said:

'Cause they're Irish. U2 don't really get awful press in Northern Ireland though, which is also part of the UK. They are very much embraced 'up north' :lol:

23 minutes ago, BigBunny said:

but the masses love Coldplay because they are the Soylent Green of music puke.gif.be055a441adf8325de93a71498dc3131.gif

Both correct! :)

On 1/27/2018 at 5:29 PM, yardie said:

Manohlive , I base that on no sound judgement whatsoever. I think RFD is a great track by the way - I just feel it's one of those tracks that will struggle to get into a 22-24 song set list given the growing back catalogue of this exceptional band! 

Just my opinion. So many U2 tracks fall into that category. It depends how much of the show they want to give over to the new songs. My view is that bands (including U2) in their formative / earlier years give obviously more showtime to the new music, U2's problem however, is finding the balance between playing the 'classics' and promoting the new. They only have so much time on stage.

Unless they jump to a 3hr set, it must be hard for them to decide what's in / what's out.

So JT30 is done. Do they now make the brave step to drop some of the stalwarts from that album to free up set space to include more of the new?

Has SBS it's day, and it's time to move on?

Can you imagine a set list without 'Steets', 'WOWY' or 'Still Haven't found...' ?

They can drop big tunes, they've done it before.

Will be interesting.

I could go without WOWY and Still Haven't Found but not Streets.   I hear what you are saying.  My hope is that, because they just toured, they will put in more of SOE and SOI.  I'd love to hear both start to finish.  One can dream....

if I could see this tour live the 6 songs that I'd want to hear from the album would be TLTTGYA, LIBTAIIW, Red Flag Day, The Landlady, The Blackout and probably as an atmospheric opener 'Love Is All We Have Left. the only one I think is guaranteed of getting played out of my list is ITLTTGYA as it's a great song. it has the goosebump quality of 'Bad' 'Streets' 'One' 'UltraViolet(Light My Way)'. I think for the USA dates 'American Soul' is a given to be on the set list, along with GOOYOW < those 2 songs could be left off the album and actually improve it heh.gif.891cdcb13d28a32e2131ac8f7e7282dd.gif I must learn to use the skip button  tracks 1-3 ignore.gif.bee156ff60100b37c0ff59d7b182da90.gifthen 6-13... yes, that's so much better. DJsmile.gif.793d9037c551fcfa422b54624252d600.gif (currently listening with my new $28 headphones)

9 hours ago, dmway said:

Tragically, we live in a rap/hip-hop and lame pop music world now. (No disrespect to the first - all the disrespect I can muster for the second.)

I like rap/hip-hop when it's not about hos, dollar bills and a Bently.  I also like pop music.  I love classical music and jazz, etc.  It is a matter of preference.  There are a lot people who think U2 represent everything that is wrong with music. I disagree. Putting our own likes/dislikes into the picture distorts reality as we tend to make exceptions for those we like.  I'm not saying you are doing this.  I do see others do it all the time all the way across the board.

I think the tragedy is that nobody pays for music any longer...or at least, most do not.  They settle for compressed streaming.  The artist does not get their money and we somehow have to make up that difference.  "They make too much money anyhow.  Why not just stream it?", I get asked.  My answer is so I don't have to shell out $200 to go see it live. "Yeah, well I don't go see concerts like you do.", is their next response.  "No.  You just steal another person's intellectual property and justify it because they make too much money yet you pay nothing.".  It sounds like harping, I know.  If someone came out today and sold albums the way Fleetwood Mac did with Rumors...it would be huge.  I saw Fleetwood Mac on the Rumors tour and it cost $11.00.  It is over 40 years later but if an artist was consistently selling millions of albums...I don't think concerts would have skyrocketed the way they did.

Getting back to SOE....I find it such a gem that I'm going to go buy the deluxe version at my locally owned record store even though I got a free copy for buying tickets to the shows in Chicago.  They sounded great on the Grammy Awards earlier this evening.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dmway said:
5 hours ago, BigBunny said:

but the masses love Coldplay because they are the Soylent Green of music

Am I the only U2 fan that likes Coldplay?  Soylent Green?   I like bunnies, Big, but that just wounds me.  :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Am I the only U2 fan that likes Coldplay?  Soylent Green?   I like bunnies, Big, but that just wounds me.  :)

yes, you are the only U2 fan that likes Coldplay. now go watch the 1973 classic movie 'Soylent Green' starring Charlton Heston and you'll know what I mean.

oh, I buy my music. I always have to have the cd, deluxe if there is one... now go watch the movie!

peer.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I don't dislike Coldplay and fix you is a song i have very fond feelings for but i do find them a little annoying generally, like i do Ed Sheeran. To me they set out to emulate U2 globally and did so but without the panache U2 did it with through the 80's and 90's. Coldplay and Ed are both hugely talented but i don't want to hear Ed with 10 songs in the Top 12 and to me this sums up the state of the music industry in the last 2 years.

Coldplay will sell vast amounts as they are firstly, very well advertised, i haven't seen SOE advertised on TV at all?, where as Head full of Dreams, was tirelessly advertised in TV ads and still is, secondly they have become to me a Dinner Party band, rather like Keane did and Travis etc but with a little more success.

U2 have had bad press, particularly over here in the UK pretty much from Day 1, the NME has always taken exception to them for whatever reason, think it became trendy to bash U2 back in the 80's and it has again since SOI was released because of the whole Apple download saga. Q magazine on the other hand has always supported them and to me given fair assessment of the music too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Am I the only U2 fan that likes Coldplay?

The last song of their's I liked was Speed of Sound, and that was about 12 years ago. Even then I probably only liked it because it sounded U2-ish.

Where The Streets Have No Name is imo U2's most epic song (that doesn't mean it's their best song, just the most epic) and they have very wisely never tried to top it. Coldplay seems to want every song to be Streets. And then Streets on steroids.

I like Coldplay a lot, esp the edgy earlier stuff. Moses and Amsterdam are amazing tunes for me. Having said that, they would make a great OPENING ACT for U2 !;)

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 7:42 PM, yardie said:

The video for 'get out of your own way' is awful.

Like cartoon cut outs - no live features of the band.

What happened the roof top leaks in Mexico City where it felt like a video was being made, with excitement.

Not impressed at all - and feck the US president - we all know he's a dick!

I hear you, but I really love it.  I think if they depicted the same considerations with say, 'live acting and actors/actresses', we may not hold down our breakfasts !:huh: And metaphorically, for me, it just simply relays the cartoonish nature of the times in which we live. Surreal...not real....nope on both cases. Very real and that's bizarre.

I'd be pretty sure that the following songs would be played every night on tour:

You're the Best Thing

Get Out Your Own Way

Blackout

Little Things

Lights of Home

Love is Bigger

American Soul - possibly only for the American dates

Love is All we Have could lead into Streets or even One as well.

7 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Am I the only U2 fan that likes Coldplay? 

No...but I've gone off them a bit with their later, more pop/commercial/cheap dance stuff.

Much prefer songs like Everything's not Lost, Yellow.

I am a huge fan of Coldplay and a little of U2 ?

Love both of the fan groups as much though. ?

The early songs of Coldplay are legendary arena tunes. A song like God put a smile upon your face on the last tour was almost better acustic on the tour before AHFOD. 

I hope Coldplay copy what U2 did with the 30:th annerversy Joshua Tree Tour and play the full Parachutes album on the 20:th annerversy year 2020. Bono and Chris are friends so I hope Bono have told him about doing the same.

Everythings not lost ☺

Per

P.S I will join that Soylent Green Movie too but still one more Coldplay fan here.. ?

I'm in the minority but i think SOE is not their best effort, not even close.  For sure, it'll be good live...but i just can't pick out a song that I'd want to play over and over.

HTDAAB was the last good album.  

2 hours ago, adrnik said:

No...but I've gone off them a bit with their later, more pop/commercial/cheap dance stuff.

Much prefer songs like Everything's not Lost, Yellow.

Pretty much agreed here. I really like their first two albums (Parachutes and A Rush Of Blood To The Head), Viva La Vida (Eno's production helped a lot there), and Ghost Stories (because it's actually a break from their spritely, jumpy numbers - some of these songs are almost bleak; perhaps this album was Chris Martin's therapy for the whole Gwyneth Paltrow saga).

But their last two are meh - 'X & Y' was very overrated as well.

Back on topic: still listening to SOE all the time! :)

Having seen a head full of dreams tour a few days after the Joshua Tree tour i’d Have to say that Coldplay were better this time.

I went to see Coldplay a couple of years ago at Wembleyfor the first time.  I wasn’t that bothered before I went but they are awesome live.