hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

2 hours ago, Njord69 said:

Super Bowl ☺

Have U2 played in the history of the Super Bowl?...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Njord69 said:

Super Bowl ☺

Look at Mich's post above! :)

Congratulations, Eagles!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, acdublin said:

I'm all for paradox but, like too much banoffee, when over-indulged, can be a bit sickly:-)

I concur.  I'm not sure what banoffee is, but too much of anything can get tired.  For me, it's not too much.  I never noticed until you mentioned it.  I could see where one might tire of it. I do not.  I think it's personal preference; not a matter or right or wrong.  I also wonder if this particular album and the multitude of paradoxes in our world right now precipitate a bit more excess?   It's fun to wonder and discuss it and get differing viewpoints.  Thanks.  Time to go look up banoffeee!

Edited by Manohlive

1 hour ago, dmway said:

They are one of the few acts that have ever been able to carry the Super Bowl half time show with their music and not be dependent on pageantry.  That is a tough gig.  Justin Timberlake did a great job but he sounded awful; too much bass and his voice was not proper on the mic. They also put way too many songs in too short a time frame.  It was still pretty good.  I'm going to see him in March and it got me excited, however; it does not work in a huge venue for something as huge as the Super Bowl. I really liked his bringing Prince into the mix for a short time. Loved it.  I thought he did well.  U2 and, as much as I hate to say it, The Stones are the only two acts I can remember that could actually carry the venue with their music.  I did not see Lady Gaga's performance.

Edited by Manohlive

3 hours ago, dmway said:

Look at Mich's post above! :)

Congratulations, Eagles!

I will do that 

YAY!! they made it and I fell asleep and tried stay awake with a friend that watched the game in Cincinatti.

Jason was good but U2 would have been awesome.

Zzzzzz..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Manohlive said:

They are one of the few acts that have ever been able to carry the Super Bowl half time show with their music and not be dependent on pageantry.  That is a tough gig.  Justin Timberlake did a great job but he sounded awful; too much bass and his voice was not proper on the mic. They also put way too many songs in too short a time frame.  It was still pretty good.  I'm going to see him in March and it got me excited, however; it does not work in a huge venue for something as huge as the Super Bowl. I really liked his bringing Prince into the mix for a short time. Loved it.  I thought he did well.  U2 and, as much as I hate to say it, The Stones are the only two acts I can remember that could actually carry the venue with their music.  I did not see Lady Gaga's performance.

Paul McCartney did a great halftime. I'm not into American Gridiron, but I like the halftime when the music act is good.

MetallicA have never done a halftime, what a joke.

8 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Somehow, you did it again! :D

You made it seem that I wrote what Njord69 wrote!

Now people will think that I didn't watch U2's wonderful Super Bowl performance back in 2002... :(

But seriously, U2's performance back then was great! B)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dmway said:

Somehow, you did it again! :D

You made it seem that I wrote what Njord69 wrote!

Now people will think that I didn't watch U2's wonderful Super Bowl performance back in 2002... :(

But seriously, U2's performance back then was great! B)

Thanks for sharing dmway, I try check the notify box and read as much I can here.

Impossible mission but I am happy you wrote it again.

Jelous missing that one but hope see them in US on this tour.

Planning travels always with the band in mind ?

• Like 1

I should maybe start a new topic but It has to do very much with the new album. ?

I liked the new songs from S.O.E when they were performed with the orchestra at Abbey Road Studios and the BBC.

Could be very nice with a Orchestra on this tour. I dont know if it ever happened before on a U2 concert.

But they always put up shows that are special ?.

Maybe not so U2:ish

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Njord69 said:

I should maybe start a new topic but It has to do very much with the new album. ?

I liked the new songs from S.O.E when they were performed with the orchestra at Abbey Road Studios and the BBC.

Could be very nice with a Orchestra on this tour. I dont know if it ever happened before on a U2 concert.

But they always put up shows that are special ?.

Maybe not so U2:ish

Yes - those performances were very good!

I am hoping that they will end up as a bonus on the DVD/Blu-Ray for this upcoming tour once it finishes - or would it be too much to hope for that it could be the 2018 fanclub item?

Time will tell...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dmway said:

omehow, you did it again! :D

I'm sorry!  I shall be more careful.  Pardon me, please.  Thanks for laughing at my buffoonery and not getting upset.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, dmway said:

I am hoping that they will end up as a bonus on the DVD/Blu-Ray for this upcoming tour once it finishes - or would it be too much to hope for that it could be the 2018 fanclub item?

Time will tell..

That is a nice thought. 

5 hours ago, dmway said:

That would be wonderful.  Each musician would be making union wages.  It might be cost prohibitive.  It's a very nice thought.  I wonder how much more it would cost to haul around a smaller orchestra.  I would think it costs a lot.  I'm no expert. 

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, BigBunny said:

Paul McCartney did a great halftime. I'm not into American Gridiron, but I like the halftime when the music act is good.

MetallicA have never done a halftime, what a joke.

Personally, I don't think Paul McCartney has sounded good for a very long time. I did not care for it.  I could see where others might.  I need the level of musicianship to remain.  I skipped Fleetwood Mac this last time because Christine McVie's voice was not good, nor is Stevie's.  That's just me. I love McCartney dearly.  He's one of my all time favorites.  His voice is shot.  I cringe when I hear him try to do Hey Jude. I leave or turn off the tv/stereo. 

You are one die hard MetallicA fan!   I like your tenacity.  Master of Puppets for SB LIII?

Edited by Manohlive

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

Personally, I don't think Paul McCartney has sounded good for a very long time. I did not care for it.  I could see where others might.  I need the level of musicianship to remain.  I skipped Fleetwood Mac this last time because Christine McVie's voice was not good, nor is Stevie's.  That's just me. I love McCartney dearly.  He's one of my all time favorites.  His voice is shot.  I cringe when I hear him try to do Hey Jude. I leave or turn off the tv/stereo. 

You are one die hard MetallicA fan!   I like your tenacity.  Master of Puppets for SB LIII?

I thought he sounded good at the half time he did but I know what you mean. his voice is raspy now, songs like Hey Jude where he needs to do those fantastic screams he did. that's what I think has affected his voice. wtf is wrong with the Super Bowl? they have never had MetallicA perform at halftime. they are an American band. a couple of years ago they did a gig in California called 'Too Heavy For Halftime' and it was on the same time as the super bowl. too heavy for halftime

16 hours ago, BigBunny said:

I thought he sounded good at the half time he did but I know what you mean. his voice is raspy now, songs like Hey Jude where he needs to do those fantastic screams he did. that's what I think has affected his voice. wtf is wrong with the Super Bowl? they have never had MetallicA perform at halftime. they are an American band. a couple of years ago they did a gig in California called 'Too Heavy For Halftime' and it was on the same time as the super bowl. too heavy for halftime

OH, I remember that one!  Thanks for the link.  I was all over it when it happened.  As for Sir Paul-those screams at the end of Hey Jude are one of the greatest bad ass things I've ever heard.  That's not even mentioning his songwriting.  I've immense respect and love for him.  I tend to not listen any longer.  I'm the same with the Stones.  I must say that Mr. McCartney does have a great drummer.  I like that guy a lot.

Edited by Manohlive

SOE-is it a gem or not?   I have expressed, perhaps ad nauseum?, that I think it is a gem.  I gave it a break for a while   I'm going to listen tonight while I do my dishes and such.  I had to stop listening so I don't wear it out before the first show.

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

SOE-is it a gem or not?   I have expressed, perhaps ad nauseum?, that I think it is a gem.  I gave it a break for a while   I'm going to listen tonight while I do my dishes and such.  I had to stop listening so I don't wear it out before the first show.

I had the same experience back in December, i.e., I had to force myself not to listen to it for fear of burning myself out on it - I was just enjoying it that much. :)

I haven't felt this full-being love for an album really since the 90s - and I have really enjoyed their work post-90s (e.g., NLOTH is a personal fave).

Bring on the tour - just let us fanclub members buy more tickets per tour leg, will ya guys? ;)

17 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Not a bad album by any means.

I still have issues with it but despite these things it's a good album, better that SOI, just not a great album.

U2 hasn't had a gem in a long while.  Hate to say that but they haven't had solid songs since HTAAB.  The songs are so forgettable to my ears.

I am very fond of all the new albums save ATYCLB.  It's the only one I have thought was rather weak.  I have expressed that I love SOE.  I also loved SOI.  I've been interweaving songs from both in one listen. I'm really liking what I'm feeling.  I don't want to put it into words quite yet.  I think both work well together. 

4 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I am very fond of all the new albums save ATYCLB.  It's the only one I have thought was rather weak.  I have expressed that I love SOE.  I also loved SOI.  I've been interweaving songs from both in one listen. I'm really liking what I'm feeling.  I don't want to put it into words quite yet.  I think both work well together. 

the airport album is shite. SOE is brilliant compared to it.

All a matter of opinion I guess. Personally While I for the most part enjoy SOE Im not sure Id use brilliant as a descriptor. All That You Cant leave behind I loved as I do most of their albums. I think this might be the first album I feel disconnected to. I dont mean that entirely negatively. There is enjoyable music on it. 

Ive heard people love Soe so much they think its the best album ever. Others are um less enthused. It seems to be a successful album for them so hey enjoy it or not.... 

4 hours ago, Shannon387 said:

Ive heard people love Soe so much they think its the best album ever. Others are um less enthused. It seems to be a successful album for them so hey enjoy it or not.... 

I think that's a fair summary. Nothing will replace my youthful days of UF & JT period musically. It was simply the best (for me). It was also when I first saw them live. Those days may all seem a little primitive in comparison to todays super highway connectivity - which brings many superb aspects - but they were fun for me. Latest album - it's good, and the band are still tight both in studio and live - so that's always a positive for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Shannon387 said:

All a matter of opinion I guess. Personally While I for the most part enjoy SOE Im not sure Id use brilliant as a descriptor. All That You Cant leave behind I loved as I do most of their albums. I think this might be the first album I feel disconnected to. I dont mean that entirely negatively. There is enjoyable music on it. 

First I wanna say that this is an very interesting topic to read.  I could quote all of you but choosed shannon387 because there is another post I was about to quote you. ?

First on this SOE and how I compare it to the old U2 albums like Joshua Tree and Boy I grew up with among  the pop rock posters I collected in my childhood room during the Eightees.  I think those U2 songs are not possible to experience again, even how much we would like it to happen on new albums and tours. They are written, recorded and performed for that time period.

Still they can come alive with similar happenings in the world and changes in Bono:s life e.g a little why S.O.I worked out to be that good. It was not only a good written story, it made us think about the world and some crossovers of U2 songs that was full of emotions.

Also with higher ticket prices there is maybe a higher demand to get a great performance by the older bands to deliver an "one of a lifetime" experience everytime. They also have some of histories greatest live performances behind them to live up too. It does not make our demands and their demands easier.

My brother saw Bowie in Gothenburg 1983 and I was with him seeing Prince in the same city outdoor in 2011, one of his lasts and then we experienced the SOI tour with U2 in Stockholm. I pick the last on same level with that Prince Concert and my brother talks on the SOI concert having high quality performance from first to last song. There is so much love on our pictures from that concert with other U2 fans.

I am amazed in a positive way to read some of your posts that SOI is among one of their best tours, thats an achievment few band manage for so many years on the road and the tours they have done before. Some of you have also written about it and I have to salute the band with a canon shot soon from some fortress on my Island. ☺

I was so suprised that the Innoncence tour was so good. I would like to jump back every day in time and experience some of the songs again on that tour. I have many more highlights from that day than on the Joshua Tree in Croke Park last year. It gave me goosebumps in Stockholm but it was a beautiful sunny day in Dublin but SOI was better.

I think we as fan of U2 are very lucky to have them deliver an album being not the strongest in years with SOI and then experience one of their best tours. 

The SOE album i think will follow on that story and the break with Joshua Tree will only make the new songs stronger live I think. This album affects us so much with not only the US in a political  turmoil but also in Europe with the refugees crisis, we all need alot of love in the world.

Not saying they will perform one, two, three Elevations. ☺

All that You can leave behind is one of my favorite U2 albums and missing the Elevation tour I never come by. I had almost stop listen to them and for another english band I promised not talk about here. ☺

Shannon387 

Did you get tickets to Copenhagen?. I can recommend staying at an hostel in Roskilde and the cathedral plus countryside is amazing. Urban House hostel in Copenhagen has great rooms and very nice staff. Got a friend that has been working in the city some years.

Got GA for Copenhagen on Saturday and maybe see you and hope for some dublin atmosphere before concert at the pubs ☺

Edited by Njord69
  • Thanks 1

I'm in the US. Staying stateside for the tour. One show, it was in my budget. I wanted to do Dublin but not in the budget I'm afraid.

Enjoy your concerts. :)

Edited by Shannon387