hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

This is , as others pointed out, a really REALLY good thread. What a cool, interesting and thoughtful group of contributors. If I could, you know I would...fly everybody to a show and enjoy a half day round table with all of you, talking U2 over a bit of food and drink   Keep it moving....

• Like 3

6 hours ago, economicformula said:

This is , as others pointed out, a really REALLY good thread. What a cool, interesting and thoughtful group of contributors. If I could, you know I would...fly everybody to a show and enjoy a half day round table with all of you, talking U2 over a bit of food and drink   Keep it moving....

That would be a wonderful thing and another facet of the gem, imho.

Well 12 weeks on and I am still loving the album so much so that I have been revisiting albums as well and playing them before listening to SOE. So far listened to NLOTH, Zooropa, October, Unforgettable Fire and War and watched Under a blood red sky and Joshua Tree 2017Croke Park from YouTube! Fantastic stuff and still really enjoying SOE. 

• Like 4

K Angel - I too have been re-listening to older albums, not just Songs of Innocence,  & mainly just appreciating how they’ve changed So much. I’m probably just getting old & “nostalgic “!- I don’t have any “deep” insights to add @ the moment!

19 hours ago, KEV ANGELL said:

Well 12 weeks on and I am still loving the album so much so that I have been revisiting albums as well and playing them before listening to SOE. So far listened to NLOTH, Zooropa, October, Unforgettable Fire and War and watched Under a blood red sky and Joshua Tree 2017Croke Park from YouTube! Fantastic stuff and still really enjoying SOE. 

1 hour ago, hillpy2 said:

K Angel - I too have been re-listening to older albums, not just Songs of Innocence,  & mainly just appreciating how they’ve changed So much. I’m probably just getting old & “nostalgic “!- I don’t have any “deep” insights to add @ the moment!

Last week, I listened to the first three albums for the first time in a long time and, I have to admit, it made me laugh on occasion - for several reasons: 1) how different they sounded, and yet not, 2) how there was a time that I couldn't imaging U2 sounding any other way than how they sounded at the beginning, 3) how good they sounded at first despite, by their own admission on many occasions, not being especially gifted at songwriting or even just playing, 4) at how much they have grown over the years and still they are who they have always been.

Of course, having their music be the sonic diary of my own life put a smile on my face too. How the changes in their lives and career seemed to mirror my own - sometimes to the point of feeling the hair go up on the back of my neck because they lyrics of their latest songs were perfectly applicable to my own life at the time (and beyond). I guess it's this last point that many people feel about their music. The two that have most strongly resonated with me on that front specifically in my life have been/are AB and this newest effort SOE: the coincidence of the lyrical content of each accurately describing how I was feeling or what I was experiencing at the time - quite an eerie feeling really, almost like Bono were spying on me while writing the lyrics.

But that is what makes Bono one of the most effective lyric writers around - i.e., what he writes/sings about he does in such a way that we can all tune in to his meaning easily. Singers and musicians are human beings on planet Earth just like the rest of us, but not all can relate their own experiences to the larger world as easily or as well as U2 do. That's part of the reason that SOE is really hitting me like a ton of bricks (in a good way) - both the lyrics and the music are especially potent, IMHO, this time around.

Well, again, I can't wait for the tour! :)

• Like 3

Where are U2?

Erm, we got the album,hmmm, we got the BBC thing pre christmas.

I dunno.

Big spat for ticks.

Is This it Lads, nothing else until the tour?

Where are U?

17 minutes ago, yardie said:

The Grammy Awards are the last thing I've seen of them.

20 hours ago, yardie said:

Where are U2?

Erm, we got the album,hmmm, we got the BBC thing pre christmas.

I dunno.

Big spat for ticks.

Where are U?

I would put my money on them having a break and preparing for the tour.

On 12/1/2017 at 9:44 AM, KEV ANGELL said:

Honestly I absolutely love it ! Didn’t think I would but wow songs like Red Flag Day, The Showman, The little things that give you away just demand attention. I loved NLOTH but this is the best album since POP to me  . It just gets better and better after the 2 singles which both fit in really well. 

Late to the party here, but I had to post because everyone in real life is tired of hearing me rave about SOE.

I am IN LOVE with SOE, just wow. Totally agree that this is the best album since POP, which I never thought could be approached. Little Things might be a top favorite of all time, same with Red Flag Day and Landlady. Did I say Wow already?

SOE also reinterprets and elevates SOI, in my humble opinion. I like SOI about a million times better now than I did three months ago. (I always felt a little weird listening to SOI, like I was reading someone's private diary. Almost too personal.) Those SOI B-sides though!!!

I look forward to more SOE awesomeness here in the Zoo and then live this summer!!

Cheers!

• Like 5

I had a drive last night.  I listened to SOE from start to finish. I had not realized that Landlady...in the end...when Bono starts singing...Every wave that broke me...is relating back to SOI and Every Breaking Wave.  I listen to music before I start paying attention to the intricacies of what it means.  I spoke of this before, as I like to feel it organically.  I'm now at the point where I am starting to hear more of SOE's lyrics as a whole.  It seems to me that the Every wave part is a whole song, in and of itself.  Lyrically, it could stand on its own, imho. For me, it's a very unexpected turn. It is not how I'd look or listen for the song to end.  It's almost as though he wrote a separate piece of verse and decided to weave it into the end of Landlady.  I see its shade of the past, yet it leads me somewhere. I also noticed that he sings...Space....Her place is where I found my parking space....  Huh?  'That's not very good lyrical content', was my first thought. 'Space is great; it takes me right up into it. Her place leads to a parking space?', I wondered. It made no sense. 'Why repeat space?  It should be Space....something something....and then place.  He shouldn't be repeating space.  He's a much better lyricist than that', the cock in me thought.  Then it dawned on me that Space IS her place.  The writer finds HIS place within, and parks his own self, because it's where he most wants to be. (that's my take, at this point, on those lyrics). Perhaps he wants me to question why he's repeating space. I've been floating in the melody and that incredible guitar sound/playing of Landlady. I never associated it with Every Breaking Wave until last evening. Besides the obvious SOI reference, it feels like it could be the middle of the beginning (Love is All) and the end (There Is A Light) of SOE. (for me)  I'm not sure why.  It's the same part of what I love so much about U2.  I hear Bono sing Roam...and then The Edge on guitar and I take off.  I've yet to sit and listen to Larry's drums or Adam's bass on this song.  I hear them, but I have not actually listened to them.  I shall. It does not matter, yet again, what any of this means because It'll dawn on me some time in the future. I can fall in love all over again. This song, and album, make my hair stand on end. I love it.

I also thought it was Rome, not Roam.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 3

What has happened to me with Songs of Experience is that I often wake up with an Experience song in my head. Right away, first thought in the morning is a U2 melody from their new album. It varies which one it is. I have never had that before. I like it. Start the day with a U2 song. As a toddler I used to sing songs after I had woken up, that's what my parents told me anyway, because I can't remember. But when I got older I rarely had a song in my head when I woke up. Untill this new release of Songs of Experience. Now my head is like a U2 jukebox every other morning. Lovely !

Manohlive you get intrigued by lyrics, but have you got special songs from which the lyrics keep stuck in your mind? I often have it with the openingstrack "Love is all we have left", which I didnt even like very much at the beginning, although it is changing now. But that line sticks in my head like glue. I love it. It is a great line.

Edited by bettydalton
  • Like 1

I’d just like to state the fact that Larry Mullen is a Genius!  “Book of Your Heart,”... in that song, which I LOVE, I’m mesmerized by the drum work. All hail Larry!! Amen!

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, hillpy2 said:

I’d just like to state the fact that Larry Mullen is a Genius!  “Book of Your Heart,”... in that song, which I LOVE, I’m mesmerized by the drum work. All hail Larry!! Amen!

Yes! I really like his drum work in that song too. I can't think of another song where he plays a rhythm track quite like that.

Come to think of it, both Bono and The Edge sing and play (respectively) in an atypical way too - of course, Adam supports the other three brilliantly as he always does. :) As I wrote above, I still think it was the right decision to leave this song off of the regular album (IMHO, I don't know where one would place it on SOE proper to have it sound right) - however, just as with "Stateless" and "Winter" (among others) in the past, that doesn't mean it isn't a brilliant song in its own right: it certainly is!

Extra songs are sometimes played live, and I hope this song is one of them. I could very easily see them throwing in this song as an addendum to another song while they were playing live, either as just an extra bit or as part of a larger medley. It has a wonderful intense crescendo at the end.

• Like 3

A P.S. for both SOI and SOE - I'm glad that the deluxe editions of both gave homes to "Invisible" and "Ordinary Love" respectively. I thought both of those songs were album-worthy, but they are also strong singles - perhaps too distinctive to blend into a larger whole.

Still, I'm glad they were included - granted "Invisible" really lived up to its name in its inclusion on SOI...

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:41 AM, Manohlive said:

I had a drive last night.  I listened to SOE from start to finish. I had not realized that Landlady...in the end...when Bono starts singing...Every wave that broke me...is relating back to SOI and Every Breaking Wave.  I listen to music before I start paying attention to the intricacies of what it means.  I spoke of this before, as I like to feel it organically.  I'm now at the point where I am starting to hear more of SOE's lyrics as a whole.  It seems to me that the Every wave part is a whole song, in and of itself.  Lyrically, it could stand on its own, imho. For me, it's a very unexpected turn. It is not how I'd look or listen for the song to end.  It's almost as though he wrote a separate piece of verse and decided to weave it into the end of Landlady.  I see its shade of the past, yet it leads me somewhere. I also noticed that he sings...Space....Her place is where I found my parking space....  Huh?  'That's not very good lyrical content', was my first thought. 'Space is great; it takes me right up into it. Her place leads to a parking space?', I wondered. It made no sense. 'Why repeat space?  It should be Space....something something....and then place.  He shouldn't be repeating space.  He's a much better lyricist than that', the cock in me thought.  Then it dawned on me that Space IS her place.  The writer finds HIS place within, and parks his own self, because it's where he most wants to be. (that's my take, at this point, on those lyrics). Perhaps he wants me to question why he's repeating space. I've been floating in the melody and that incredible guitar sound/playing of Landlady. I never associated it with Every Breaking Wave until last evening. Besides the obvious SOI reference, it feels like it could be the middle of the beginning (Love is All) and the end (There Is A Light) of SOE. (for me)  I'm not sure why.  It's the same part of what I love so much about U2.  I hear Bono sing Roam...and then The Edge on guitar and I take off.  I've yet to sit and listen to Larry's drums or Adam's bass on this song.  I hear them, but I have not actually listened to them.  I shall. It does not matter, yet again, what any of this means because It'll dawn on me some time in the future. I can fall in love all over again. This song, and album, make my hair stand on end. I love it.

I also thought it was Rome, not Roam.

Nice !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/25/2018 at 11:12 AM, hillpy2 said:

yes! And Adam, on the last part of the song. 

• Like 3

On 2/25/2018 at 10:12 AM, hillpy2 said:

I concur.  It was not until the last couple of nights that I've been able to listen to BOYH carefully.  Those drums are incredible and so is Adam.  My gosh, that rhythm drives me to an idyllic insanity.  Thanks for pointing it out, as I had not yet sat and given this song my full attention.

On 2/25/2018 at 10:50 AM, dmway said:

Extra songs are sometimes played live, and I hope this song is one of them. I could very easily see them throwing in this song as an addendum to another song while they were playing live, either as just an extra bit or as part of a larger medley. It has a wonderful intense crescendo at the end.

I have been thinking about your comment.  I listened to Book of Your Heart, with what you stated specifically in mind.  I think you are right.  At first I thought, 'No way.'. (no critique-I thought there was no way we'd hear it.)  The more I listened and thought about it, the more your comment makes sense to me.  They add 40 to Bad.  Why not add this song on the end of another?  I also agree that the ending crescendo would be a treat if added to a song, or your mention of a larger medley.  It would be awesome and unexpected. Thanks for what you said.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

I hadn't listened to SoE since January. Not that I didn't like it when it first was released. I just was more interested in other music. But, I listened to SoE late one night driving home this week, and I really connected with it. Can't really explain why, but it felt nice. and calming.

There's still things that I can nitpick about the record, but those are just personal preferences.. Listening to it got me really excited that I'm able to go to the Los Angeles shows.

• Like 1

I'm waiting for the tour. I'm not sure how that will work out for me.

I'm enjoying the effects SOE is having on my life. These songs are moving in a deep level.?

• Like 2

On 2/25/2018 at 1:29 AM, bettydalton said:

Manohlive you get intrigued by lyrics, but have you got special songs from which the lyrics keep stuck in your mind?

I think I have an unusually big mouth that's constantly posting, however; I blame it on my current president as this need to yap incessantly is foreign.  Thanks to the person that previously suggesting blaming him because it's fun.  I'm still trying to discern some of Bono's lyrics from decades ago. It's about what I feel and why a lyric turns me one direction or another.  I think that's true for all of us or we wouldn't still be here reading and writing.  I like Bono's consistent ability to take an already great metaphor and flip it in so many directions that everyone can relate.

Dmway was the first, that I recall, to point out Refu-Jesus.  I loved it and still do. It's so simple yet contains so much more.. Another Zootopian brought up the two lines which end with-The Master's looking for someone who needs Him.  I like it.  Do I cap Master and Him or is it lower case?  It is very good writing, in my opinion. It's quite obvious, yet hidden under our current world's insanity. I really like how he pokes at his own self in The Showman.  The showman changes and the lyrics became about my current president who pokes at anyone but his own self..  At this moment it's about me writing this and wondering if I'm going to hide it because it's way too much to be posting and I'm the showman.  BigBunny and I discussed the segue from Get Out of...into American Soul; the obvious reference to The Beatitudes. I find that segue resounding. I wanted to pounce and condemn it yet could not or I'd be the one offending.  I don't want to get religious. I had to check myself to be able to compare/contrast the two texts without bias. I believe they fit.  Even if they did not or do not, who am I to judge?  Flipped again.

Love Is All We Have Left. The Lights of Home. Love is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way.  There is a Light...    Those four lines combined feel omnipotent yet transparent and so vulnerable to the human condition.  For me, this is as good as writing gets. It is in the league of Sophocles good. I don't say that lightly.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

I think I have an unusually big mouth that's constantly posting, however; I blame it on my current president as this need to yap incessantly is foreign.  Thanks to the person that previously suggesting doing so.  I'm still trying to discern some of Bono's lyrics from decades ago. It's about what I feel and why a lyric turns me one direction or another.  I think that's true for all of us or we wouldn't still be here reading and writing.

BigBunny was the first, that I recall, to point out Refu-Jesus.  I loved it and still do. It's so simple yet contains, for me, all that is important. Big Bunny was also the first to bring up the two lines which end with-The Master's looking for someone who needs Him.  I agreed and still love it.  Do I cap Master and Him or is it lower case?  It is very good writing, in my opinion. It's quite obvious yet hidden under the layers of our current world's insanity I love that he pokes at his own self in The Showman.  The showman changed and the lyrics became about my current president.  At this moment it's about me writing this and wondering if I'm going to hide it because it's way too much to be posting and I'm the showman.  Yet again Bono flips me, in verse, to where I don't know!  BigBunny and I discussed the segue from Get Out of...into American Soul; the obvious reference to The Beatitudes. I think those lyrics are astounding.  I wanted to pounce and condemn them yet could not or I'd be the one offending.  I don't want to get religious. I had to check myself to be able to compare the two texts without bias. I believe they fit.  Even if they did not or do not, who am I to judge?  Flipped again. I love SOE.

Love Is All We Have Left. The Lights of Home. Love is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way.  There is a Light...    Those four lines combined feels omnipotent yet transparent and so vulnerable to the human condition.  For me, this is as good as writing gets. It is in the league of Sophocles good. I don't say that lightly either. 

Not to toot my own horn, but I think you reacted to my pointing out how much I liked refu-Jesus. I'm too lazy at the moment to find the proof, but it is somewhere in this thread. :)

And, I'm glad that there are still people out there who still know who Sophocles even is - a profound writer to be sure. In fact, all three of the major Greek Tragedians are very good, but Sophocles and Euripides were the cream of the crop. Bono would be flattered by the comparison to be sure.

One of the very many things about SOE I have enjoyed the most is how much Bono really did well in his writing of the lyrics. People have also done really well in this thread in pointing out all of the subtleties in them too.

Yes - A+/A* to all four of them! :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dmway said:

Not to toot my own horn, but I think you reacted to my pointing out how much I liked refu-Jesus. I'm too lazy at the moment to find the proof, but it is somewhere in this thread. :)

All Due Props to Dmway!   :)  I should have looked.  Called out and humbled again.  I love it.  I'm in the process of editing what I posted.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Haha 1

Me being very critical of the new album in the very beginning I must confess (to my own joy) that Songs of Experience is growing on me. I really start liking the songs. After some months now the songs have become part of me. Even wake up with them in my head sometimes. The first live shows dates are coming closer everyday. U2 must be rehearsing these songs live right now. I wont be present, (no tickets!), but I will follow them online on youtube when they start in the States. I am very curious HOW U2 is gonna play these songs live. Live is the place that can make or break a U2 song. Even when a song sounds crap on the cd it can still sound great live and vice versa...

Are they gonna use strings? Synthesizers? A choir ? A capella ? Songs of Experience lends itself for an entirely different presentation. The BBC Christmas show was an example of that. Are there any rumours yet to what U2 is going to do live ? Multiple stages I read somewhere..

• Like 1

On 2018-02-13 at 10:09 PM, Manohlive said:

It does not seem to be verified any longer.  There are great seats for Chicago still available.  I've seen great seats for other cities.  It did not check if I was verified or not.  I was searching and not purchasing.  I don't think verified enters into things any longer for the American leg of this tour.

I have booked the flight to US Manohlive. ? Going to visit a friend in Cincinnati 22/5-29/5 and now decide Chicago or Nashville or both. We plan make a roadtrip south but so close U2 I never gonna miss this. 

What will the best day in Chicago you think? On SOI tour the second night was better and I travel with my brother and daugher so there is some planning to do. 

US is so big and I will not wanna go alone Hah. Anyone else going to see them in Chicago? 

American Dream.