hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

4 hours ago, Njord69 said:

Going to visit a friend in Cincinnati 22/5-29/5 and now decide Chicago or Nashville

I sent you a PM with the info, Njord69.

Love hearing your thoughts. I love SOE so many layers!  Do you think they will do the “ordinary chorus”? On the tour Anyone else record their version? X

4 hours ago, aggieloll said:

Love hearing your thoughts. I love SOE so many layers!  Do you think they will do the “ordinary chorus”? On the tour Anyone else record their version? X

Um, yes, I recorded a version, or a few!! My friend and I sent in 5 videos total!!  2 40-year-old moms acting like teenagers for an afternoon, we had so much fun making them.  We joke sometimes that at least the band must be sitting around at night watching our videos because they love us so much. LOL. I am just waiting to be up there on the screen singing with the boys!  

On 3/2/2018 at 9:00 PM, Manohlive said:

Another Zootopian brought up the two lines which end with-The Master's looking for someone who needs Him.  I like it.  Do I cap Master and Him or is it lower case?  It is very good writing, in my opinion. It's quite obvious, yet hidden under our current world's insanity.                  

Wow. I had not thought of it with the caps. That changes the entire meaning of the line and I love it even that much more.  Before, I had been thinking about dictators and wanna-be dictators (Trump) wanting people to need them.  But Master...Him?  Totally different lyric. And matches with the next line about the Promised Land.  Thanks Manohlive!!  

5 hours ago, JCF said:

Before, I had been thinking about dictators and wanna-be dictators (Trump) wanting people to need them.

I hadn't gotten past the lower case question.  No images had entered my mind.  Now it's Trump?  sigh.  Thanks a lot.  sigh  (I am jesting.).  I had not gone past lower case, and now your mention of greedy leaders just got me thinking more. Trump eating fast food burgers and wiping his hands on sheets spun in 24 karat gold...Putin and his unending need to be photographed shirtless...the chubby little mushroom fanatically flying rockets in North Korea.

You also comment on the line about the promised land.  There's a multi-faceted image.  Trump and Taj Mahal?  Springsteen's song...Israel and the Palestinians.  The bombed out rubble that is Syria.  Myanmar.  Most African countries being in a state of war. Antarctica breaking into ice cubes.  Puerto Rico and Dominica and Barbuda being left to fend for their own selves now that the cruise ships can't dock.  There's so many other different directions this all takes.  Each person's input challenges, agrees or adds to something someone else interprets. That makes me question and think more of what it all means.  Thank you, JCF.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I sent you a PM with the info, Njord69.

Thanks man. 

THIS SONG is just absolutely extraordinarily beautiful/ classic / thought provoking / brilliant.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, yardie said:

THIS SONG is just absolutely extraordinarily beautiful/ classic / thought provoking / brilliant.

The funny thing is that this song was all the rage one page back! :D

On 2/16/2018 at 12:44 PM, dmway said:

Another thing I like about this album is that they made the right choices (IMHO, of course) for which songs to include.

Just because a song is strong individually doesn't mean that it will necessarily fit in the larger context of the whole album. I remember when I first heard "Stateless" on "The Million Dollar Hotel" soundtrack. It was recorded during the ATYCLB sessions, but the band - correctly, in my view - didn't put it on the album. The band said in interviews at the time that they felt it just didn't fit, despite the song's being a good one. I really like the song, but I agree with the band's view that it was right to leave it off. ("Winter" during the NLOTH sessions is another example - great song, but didn't really fit with the flow of the album.)

The same thing has happened here with "Book Of Your Heart". It is indeed a very good song (the guitar playing reminds me a bit of Interpol, as does the whole song in general - musically anyway); however, despite its being strong individually, I don't know where they would have put it on the album where it would have sounded right, esp. if they had to take off a different song to do so. Great song, but better as an extra, IMHO.

They have played extra songs live on occasion - maybe we'll hear it someday anyway...

On 2/25/2018 at 11:12 AM, hillpy2 said:

I’d just like to state the fact that Larry Mullen is a Genius!  “Book of Your Heart,”... in that song, which I LOVE, I’m mesmerized by the drum work. All hail Larry!! Amen!

On 2/25/2018 at 11:50 AM, dmway said:

Yes! I really like his drum work in that song too. I can't think of another song where he plays a rhythm track quite like that.

Come to think of it, both Bono and The Edge sing and play (respectively) in an atypical way too - of course, Adam supports the other three brilliantly as he always does. :) As I wrote above, I still think it was the right decision to leave this song off of the regular album (IMHO, I don't know where one would place it on SOE proper to have it sound right) - however, just as with "Stateless" and "Winter" (among others) in the past, that doesn't mean it isn't a brilliant song in its own right: it certainly is!

Extra songs are sometimes played live, and I hope this song is one of them. I could very easily see them throwing in this song as an addendum to another song while they were playing live, either as just an extra bit or as part of a larger medley. It has a wonderful intense crescendo at the end.

On 2/28/2018 at 10:28 PM, JCF said:

yes! And Adam, on the last part of the song. 

On 3/1/2018 at 5:23 PM, Manohlive said:

I concur.  It was not until the last couple of nights that I've been able to listen to BOYH carefully.  Those drums are incredible and so is Adam.  My gosh, that rhythm drives me to an idyllic insanity.  Thanks for pointing it out, as I had not yet sat and given this song my full attention.

I have been thinking about your comment.  I listened to Book of Your Heart, with what you stated specifically in mind.  I think you are right.  At first I thought, 'No way.'. (no critique-I thought there was no way we'd hear it.)  The more I listened and thought about it, the more your comment makes sense to me.  They add 40 to Bad.  Why not add this song on the end of another?  I also agree that the ending crescendo would be a treat if added to a song, or your mention of a larger medley.  It would be awesome and unexpected. Thanks for what you said.

:D

Does Book Of Your Heart remind anyone of Love is Blindness? I keep thinking about it and I can't figure out why.. It stills comes to my mind when I listen to BOYH..

Edited by Manohlive
grammar
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Does Book Of Your Heart remind anyone of Love is Blindness? I keep thinking about it and I can't figure out why.. It stills comes to my mind when I listen to BOYH..

Very much so, but it also comes to mind when I listen to "13 (There Is A Light)". They (i.e., all three) have a world-weariness to them - BOYH reminds me more of "Love Is Blindness" around the guitar solo, but it reminds me more of 13 in the verses. 13 sounds like the protagonist of "Love Is Blindness" who has taken a few more hits from life, and a little more worn down for the experience - but still knows there is a light...

In fact, "Love Is Blindness" is the epitome of what I think of as the "downbeat, moody closer" that most U2 albums have had ever since War (now that doesn't mean that such a closer can't make you feel uplifted upon hearing it - U2 have this remarkable ability to combine somewhat morose lyrics with uplifting singing/music) : 40, MLK, Mothers Of The Disappeared, All I Want Is You, Love Is Blindness, The Wanderer, Wake Up Dead Man, Grace, Yahweh, Cedars Of Lebanon, The Troubles, and now 13 (There Is A Light). Sure, some of these songs one might not consider completely similar, but they all have a certain essence to them that is the same - an essence that convinced the band to close their respective albums with them.

So, sorry to pivot from your original post, but 13 strikes me as the protagonist from Love Is Blindness with more life experience/wisdom - in fact, it seems to be almost a reply to it ("Yes, love is blindness, but there is a light...", as it were).

The section around the solo of Love Is Blindness does remind me of BOYH, though. :)

• Brilliant 2

On 3/5/2018 at 8:26 AM, Manohlive said:

Nope Man O - don't see that so much. LIB was very much more a louder concoction of noise driven by a rusty steely Edge guitar, with moderate breaks.

Very much more electronic influence on this imo, which wasn't present on the former.

The similarity I hear potentially comes from the quiet to loud aspect of the music.

Both great tracks. I tend not to over analyse, but merely enjoy.

I haven't followed this thread, but I wanted to add my two cents about SoE...

I messed with the track order a bit. 

Love Is All We Have Left

Lights of Home (St. Peter's String Version)

You're the Best Thing About Me

Get Out of Your Own Way

American Soul

The Blackout

Summer of Love

Red Flag Day

The Showman (Little More Better)

Book of Your Heart

The Little Things That Give You Away

Landlady

Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way

13 (There Is A Light)

Moving up The Blackout feels much better to me. 

Similarly, the string version of Lights of Home feels great following on the heels of Love Is All We Have Left.

Is it just me or is U2 under the influence of Radiohead on Book of Your Heart? 

A great tune...and a fantastic album. 

I look forward to seeing the show in Omaha on the 19th of May, 2018.

The blending of the personal and political is masterful, 

taking on mortality, love, the rise of the extreme right wing in the west, the plight of Syrian refugees, and the need to remain hopeful despite the world going mad around you. 

I have heard that this may be their last album. 

As much as I hope this isn't the case, I feel like this is U2 going out on top.

Edited by HansasHeroes1991

3 minutes ago, HansasHeroes1991 said:

Is it just me or is U2 under the influence of Radiohead on Book of Your Heart?

As I said last page, I hear more Interpol than Radiohead - Radiohead of the 90s sounded like that, but not Radiohead post-Kid A.

3 minutes ago, dmway said:

As I said last page, I hear more Interpol than Radiohead - Radiohead of the 90s sounded like that, but not Radiohead post-Kid A.

I'm sorry. 
I have a bad habit of joining in pages and not bothering to read what has been said up until now. 

I see that I am not alone in my thinking on this.

Cheers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yardie said:

The similarity I hear potentially comes from the quiet to loud aspect of the music.

Perhaps that is what I hear.  I don't over analyze either.  I just listen and let things go fro that.  For some reason I kept thinking of LIB.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, HansasHeroes1991 said:

I'm sorry. 
I have a bad habit of joining in pages and not bothering to read what has been said up until now. 

I see that I am not alone in my thinking on this.

Cheers.

Oh, it's no problem - everyone joins pages/topics late. It wasn't a criticism towards you - I just pointed out that I had an opinion about who it reminded me of just very recently. I was just sharing that. :)

16 hours ago, dmway said:

Oh, it's no problem - everyone joins pages/topics late. It wasn't a criticism towards you - I just pointed out that I had an opinion about who it reminded me of just very recently. I was just sharing that. :)

No worries! 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2018 at 11:52 PM, bettydalton said:

Me being very critical of the new album in the very beginning I must confess (to my own joy) that Songs of Experience is growing on me. I really start liking the songs. After some months now the songs have become part of me. Even wake up with them in my head sometimes. The first live shows dates are coming closer everyday. U2 must be rehearsing these songs live right now. I wont be present, (no tickets!), but I will follow them online on youtube when they start in the States. I am very curious HOW U2 is gonna play these songs live. Live is the place that can make or break a U2 song. Even when a song sounds crap on the cd it can still sound great live and vice versa...

Are they gonna use strings? Synthesizers? A choir ? A capella ? Songs of Experience lends itself for an entirely different presentation. The BBC Christmas show was an example of that. Are there any rumours yet to what U2 is going to do live ? Multiple stages I read somewhere..

bettydalton, I totally agree. I usually have to listen to their album many, many times to understand what is going on. Some take longer than others. SOE has taken a bit longer, but I'm liking to more and more. Can't wait to see them perform!

22 hours ago, dmway said:

Personally I was getting vibes of the new National album mixed with a bit of Absolution-era Muse.

I said somewhere way back in this thread at the time of album release - this song perhaps should have opened ( or closed ) the standard format release. It's just personal opinion of course and matters little. It's a good track.

6 hours ago, peterferris8 said:

Personally I was getting vibes of the new National album mixed with a bit of Absolution-era Muse.

It's amazing what variety of music people will think of upon hearing the same song - it's almost proof of one of the more controversial ramifications of quantum physics, i.e., there isn't really any such thing as "objective reality". Multiple people hear the same track, but it is perceived uniquely and individually - all interpretations correct, and yet different. ("One, but not the same" fans of a certain band might say... ;)

I saw The National open for someone (I think R.E.M.)  a long time ago (10-15 years ago), and I saw Muse on The Cure's "Curiosa" festival. I wonder if either band opened for U2. I only mentioned Interpol in the first place because they did open for U2 on a few dates, and I thought it might just be possible that they might have inspirationally rubbed off on them, so to speak.

It would be interesting to know what U2 were thinking while they were recording it.

Edited by dmway

Don't think The National have ever played with U2, although it wouldn't have surprised me if they had. Muse supported them on some 360 dates and Edge guested with them on their Glastonbury headline slot years ago. 

I haven't listened to much Interpol although they have a few songs I really like, but I'm seeing them support The Cure this summer so will be nice to get more of a feel for them.

1 hour ago, peterferris8 said:

Don't think The National have ever played with U2, although it wouldn't have surprised me if they had. Muse supported them on some 360 dates and Edge guested with them on their Glastonbury headline slot years ago. 

I haven't listened to much Interpol although they have a few songs I really like, but I'm seeing them support The Cure this summer so will be nice to get more of a feel for them.

Ah, that's good! Interpol are a great live band - very Joy Division-ish, like the early CDs from the Editors.

Yes, I remember seeing The Edge play with Muse at Glastonbury a few years back - that was they year that U2 were supposed to play there, but Bono had his bike accident not long before then; thus, they played there the following year.

Getting back on topic, I wonder when U2 will play Glasto next. It would be cool if they did it on this touring cycle for SOE...

13 hours ago, dmway said:

Ah, that's good! Interpol are a great live band - very Joy Division-ish, like the early CDs from the Editors.

Yes, I remember seeing The Edge play with Muse at Glastonbury a few years back - that was they year that U2 were supposed to play there, but Bono had his bike accident not long before then; thus, they played there the following year.

Getting back on topic, I wonder when U2 will play Glasto next. It would be cool if they did it on this touring cycle for SOE...

Don't think they will play again to be honest. However coloured our perception of the 2011 show (as diehard fans) was, it got a pretty mixed reception from a lot of critics and people who were there, and I think even the band themselves don't remember it so fondly. If it had gone the other way and been received in all quarters as a huge success, then they'd probably be playing this year, but the festival's taking a year off to let the land recover. 

All that said, the fact that they took The Joshua Tree tour to Bonnaroo in the US last year suggests they're not averse to playing festivals every once in a while - maybe next year they could do festivals in some of the places they haven't visited lately (Australia/New Zealand, Africa, Asia).