hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

I LOVE this new album, especially listening to it all the way through! When I listen to it, it reminds me of how I felt when "All That You Can't Leave Behind" came out. Not that the songs have the same feel but that the songs are uplifting in a time of negativity and darkness in the world. I love how the band have described the songs as "defiantly joyful" because that's exactly how I feel when I listen to it. "Love is All We Have Left" is a great way to open it and the album just keeps getting better as it goes. 

Well done boys!

Listened to the album once this morning on my way to work.  Got the same feeling I had after listening to AB and ATYCLB for the first time.  Its a bit of a hard pill to swallow but I think thats a good thing as I am sure the album will grow on me after more listens. :)

Edited by Carlos

Really how to describe?  U2 meets Randy Newman meets Tory Amos meets The Cure meets the Beatles meets....I dunno..just a great listen!

I

The whole album is VERY strong. Seriously, Red Flag Day should be their next single if they want to try to get some airplay. These guys are closing in on 60??? Seriously?? Hard to believe. Love is ALL We Have Left is so hauntingly beautiful. The boys are at the top of their game with SOE...it's a fantastic companion to SOI but oh so much better. I never got to hear The Little Things live but this studio version is beautiful. How many times can I use the word beautiful to describe it? I smell a Grammy. This was worth the wait. Can't wait for these songs to wrap around me when I see them live.

BTW, did anyone notice that as of this morning Eli and Sian move on the main page of U2.com? Maybe I just didn't notice that they move before, but I don't think so.

Edited by malaboo

Honestly I absolutely love it ! Didn’t think I would but wow songs like Red Flag Day, The Showman, The little things that give you away just demand attention. I loved NLOTH but this is the best album since POP to me  . It just gets better and better after the 2 singles which both fit in really well. 

On 11/21/2017 at 2:38 PM, yardie said:

I'm tending to agree. I recall in my late teens - this band released 'The Joshua Tree'. I recall hearing the first single lifted off the album - it was called 'With or Without You' (i know you know), strange sound n all that and thinking 'what the feck is this - bit feckin wierd - this isn't 'Pride', this isn't 'Homecoming' , where is 'Bad' #2? - what the feck is this? this is slow!!

Who recalls the first time they heard 'The Fly' as a first release off AB? Raised eyebrows? Always with U2, it wouldn't be the same U2 if they didn't pose the questions

I think this release is full of 'growers' - I base that only on what I've heard - this is going to be an absolutely cool album quite possibly their best since HTDAAB, perhaps exceed that.

Th'on 'With Or Without You' turned out not to bad after all.B)

There's a lot of U2 haters out there - humans hate successful longevity as a trait.

OK, as an honest U2 fan, No Line & SOI, whilst both containing great tracks, weren't critically acclaimed, and perhaps were perceived as weaker album releases - I struggle to buy into that. There is no such thing as a bad U2 album. There is such a thing as progress though. I believe this release will be progress.

In your 50's - you will never replicate your 20's or 30's - life unfortunately curtails that to some degree - not many better than U2 at giving it a damned good go!

Here's to 1st December!

It is so funny what you stated about With or with out you! OMG! I stated this exact thought years ago(in High school) to a fellow u2 freaker like me.

I was like 'what the hell is this shit'????(so ashamed).....Because being a long time fan before Joshua Tree came out....was a transition to hear/accept. Now, post Joshua tree....I listen to a new U2 album with open ears and heart. They each grow on you and get better with time.....like fine wine....not such a bad thing. for a artist...in general.

Another one here who loves it! I think it's great that not every song has the same exact style or pacing to it but they were able to keep them similar enough that there isn't an abrupt stop between songs. I've only listened to it once as well but I can safely say that I think it's a great album. Definitely a lot there to enjoy and take away. Something that requires more than one listening to fully enjoy for sure. I love it!

6 minutes ago, Tflyer90 said:

Another one here who loves it! I think it's great that not every song has the same exact style or pacing to it but they were able to keep them similar enough that there isn't an abrupt stop between songs. I've only listened to it once as well but I can safely say that I think it's a great album. Definitely a lot there to enjoy and take away. Something that requires more than one listening to fully enjoy for sure. I love it!

Bono's voice is a highlight for me.....

His Voice/lyrics seems to be a centerpiece over the musical composition....if you know what I mean?

But then again...this is after one listen......and intuitive instinct....

Listening to a U2 album is like unraveling messages in the bible....they get deeper and more complex with each reading.......and new sounds are heard/noticed with time

Edited by unforgettableu2

On 11/18/2017 at 11:02 PM, hope3702 said:

Lifelong fan and I can’t stop with the new songs. All of them are very solid. Blackout is fantastic so is Get out of your own way  into American Soul. Put in the amazing The Little Things That Give You Away and this could be one of their best which is incredible after all these years.  And from a live show perspective these will all sound really good live. Especially Blackout. 

I love Black out as well....has a Achtung Baby vibe........or even a little bullet the blue sky from JT

I'm loving it.

Although I find it lame that pre-ordering the LP from u2.com couldn't (or wouldn't) ship it to arrive by street date. I could have ordered from any other on-line retailer and had it delivered today (for cheaper, I'm learning) I won't get until Monday. Very weak...

So, so happy this morning. I popped in my earbuds before the kids woke up and took an hour of uninterrupted happiness, listening to the album top-to-bottom, every lyric and guitar lick. I'm emotional these days anyway, but was surprised to find tears streaming down my face a couple of times. I'm loving some of the Edge's work this time and already I'm finding myself getting super addicted to this album! The only thing that would make me happier is scoring tickets to bring my husband and son to a show!! 

25 minutes ago, gpmalecki said:

I'm loving it.

Although I find it lame that pre-ordering the LP from u2.com couldn't (or wouldn't) ship it to arrive by street date. I could have ordered from any other on-line retailer and had it delivered today (for cheaper, I'm learning) I won't get until Monday. Very weak...

Yep, that is disappointing. I was hoping mine would arrive today as it says 'shipped' the day after I ordered about 4 weeks ago now. I was going to go to a local store earlier today - then saw spotify were streaming. So that'll do for now. Takes 3 days for a parcel to get from my house(NI/UK), to my uncles house in North Eastern Ohio. Go figure?? 

• Like 1

Ok, what gives here.  I have pre-ordered the Super Deluxe or what ever it is called, have 4 CD's on the way with for ticket purchases.  None of which came with a digital download code!

So I went online to purchase and download so my wife and I can listen to it today.  Amazon.ca (Canadian) does not have it digitally.  Went to Amazon.com, it won't let me purchase it because my credit card does not have an american address attached to it. Despite buying on amazon.com previously.

This is crazy as I am willing to pay for the download!!!!

ANY SUGGESTIONS!!!!

💟

I feel good to be on the same page. 

It's the best ever. 💟🗽🌉🌌

🙏

Thought I'd make this thread so everyone can post their thoughts on the new album. I'll get the ball rolling. 

There's a vitality to this album I haven't heard from U2 in a while. It's a solid great album, but there are one or two things that if taken out or altered I feel it could be better. 

Love Is All We Have Left - this track has a kind of 'prologue' feel to it which I haven't really gotten from a U2 album opener before. Quite enjoyed how different it is texturally from your average U2 song - hearing Bono's voice put through some vocoder effects was cool. There's something almost post-apocalyptic about the lyrics. 

Lights of Home - what a fantastic little stomper, this one. Loved the backing vocals and guitar samples from HAIM, and the reinterpretation of the outro of Iris. 

You're the Best Thing About Me - having heard the whole album now this song suffers a bit. Feels a bit cheesy, but I'm still totally here for Edge's guitar during the chorus. 

Get Out Of Your Own Way - another great little rock stomper, got a bit of HTDAAB vibe going on. Plus, gotta love a bit of Kendrick in the outro. 

American Soul - again, Kendrick's intro is awesome. There's a lot more stompers on this album than there were on SOI, but on this one I think the chorus feels a bit empty when it should really be hitting full throttle. If Edge hit the guitars on the chorus as hard as he did when it was the bridge on Volcano I'd probably like it a bit more. 

Summer of Love - I quite liked how stripped-down this was compared to the rest of the album. Could see it sending people to the bars during a show though. 

Red Flag Day - have to admit, I cringed really hard at this track, especially the chorus. It's unpleasantly reminiscent of mid-career slump-era Red Hot Chili Peppers. Probably my least favourite U2 song since Get On Your Boots. 

The Showman (Little More Better) - a bit better than RFD but honestly this was a meh. I thought it was all downhill from here at this stage! 

The Little Things That Give You Away - I was instantly proven wrong about it being downhill from here. I was on the train when I was first listening to the album and I uncontrollably started crying. Thanks a lot for that boys. :P This is the most stunningly, beautifully amazing U2 song I've heard this side of Pop. When I heard Bono singing the same lyrics on this as he sang when they played it on Jimmy Kimmel ("All my thoughts are so reckless", "When the painted glass shatters and you're the only thing that matters/But I can see you through the tears") I internally punched the air, because I MUCH preferred those lyrics to the ones he was singing on The Joshua Tree tour! 

Landlady - probably my third favourite track on the album. What a beautiful little love song to Ali. 

The Blackout - I can definitely see this one as a show opener. I don't think Bono's been so bluntly political in a while but frankly there's never been a more appropriate time than right now. Adam's bass playing definitely shines on this one. 

Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way - still not sure on this one. Feels like it tries a bit too hard to be "big" and "anthemic" whereas on U2's best big anthems that comes naturally. 

13 (There Is a Light) - what a beautiful way to end the album. The lyrics from Song For Someone actually sound better here than they do on the original song. Especially when Bono adds "Someone like me..." Could see this making a good stripped down piano version when they play it live. 

Book Of Your Heart - really good track, gives me a similar vibe to some of The National's new songs. Hope they play it live at some point. 

So, overall it's another solid U2 album, but honestly some of the issues I have with it (looking at YOU, Red Flag Day) hold it back from being my album of the year. Nevertheless, bring on the E&I tour, if I actually manage to get tickets... 

7/10

I was able to get 2 tickets for the upcoming tour. Part of that purchase includes a cd of SOE. I am NOT happy about that! I don't need 2 copies of the cd! Not only that, but they won't arrive at my house until Dec 6. Not Dec 1, Dec 6! I would have much preferred a lower ticket price, and the option of going out today to my local record store and buying the music myself so that I can hear it today!

I think the record sounds fantastic.  I love the lyrics,  but musically it is off the charts. The co-MVP's on this one are Edge and Adam. Edge is just on another level with this record, and Adam's bass sounds incredible. Maybe it's the way it's been mixed, but I don't know of any other album, at least post War, where the bass is featured so prominently. There is just one song that really stands out as not belonging, but I'm not going to dwell on the negative. 12 of the 13 are just gorgeous tunes. Lights of Home, Red Flag Day, Summer of Love, Landlady are all early standouts, and I imagine Little Things will be on their setlist until they stop playing. Just brilliant work. Thanks guys. Can't wait to see the tour. 

Listening to U2 new album since morning on my way to work, on my work, everywhere :)

Couldn't wait until CD copy arrives so downloaded it today on iTunes. I remember when they uploaded their Songs of innocence for free iTunes album in 2014, Bono was forced to be sorry to gave us free music because of some people. Yeah, that's weird. Great music, free music. Thank you U2! Actually this music is priceless.

My favorite songs from Songs of experience so far:

- Get out of your own way

- The little things that give you away

- Summer of love

- Lights of homw

- Reg flag day

Happy music Friday all!

See you in SJ!

Ok. Firstly it's only my opinion after a day of listening intently - and it's only a day. This however, for me is the best work the band have produced as a collective piece of work in many many years. Opinions are just that of course and I will not dismiss the fantastic tracks that appear on every U2 release that has been and gone (but never forever).

Songs of Experience is a thumbs up from me.

Love is All we Have Left - I'm not a massive fan of auto-tuning voices either (bit  like the guy from the newspaper). It's a 'nice' track, but I do really continue to feel it is misplaced on the album. Anyhow, we'll get to that later.

Lights of Home - It starts ok, but again, slightly disappointed in the opening choices. However, this wakes up for me when Edge kicks in with the slide guitar.

"If only you could see yourself, If only you could free yourself to be yourself." Amen - and we're off!

You're the best thing about me  - Love the opening rhythm riff by Edge, love Adams bassline fuzz kicking in and limited use of the snare drum by Larry works really well. It's a catchy tune, and one I've like from day 1 along with the video. A band having fun.

"shootin' off my mouth, that's another great thing about me...." Self awareness to the fore there then! Edge taking a bit of lead vocal there too - always good.

Get Out of Your Own Way - this is just a simply great track, a U2 tune that puts a big fat smile on my face. Cue the bassline - enter Adam again - "love has got to fight for its existance" - sure as hell does.

"I can help you, but it's your fight."

...and a great segway (potentially my little highlight of the album ) into....

"blessed are the bullies, 'cause one day they will have to stand up to themselves."

American Soul - currently taking the lead as my favourite track on the album

"look around, look around, look around, it's a sound" - I'm nearly waiting for an invisible army to come knocking at my back door I'm getting so hyped up. ;) Great riff, great effects on guitar by Edge yet again. Who is 'Brother John?"

"You and I are Rock n Roll." Loving the last chorus and that pulsating high tone - like a warning signal - maybe it's a warning to us all.

Summer of Love - the opening bars really remind me of another song by another artist - anyways...

"West Coast" of where ...Ireland? California? - please tell.:) Beautiful chorus though and nice tune overall, easy listening - reminiscent of / with tones of 'Wild Honey' from back in the day.

Red Flag Day - funky opening, catchy tune - maybe this one could have opened the album? No? Just me? I like it but I dont think its one of those ones you'll hear beyond the studio version.

The Showman - a bit like the last one, and the one before. Yup 6,7 and 8 have that sort of catch thing going on - someone else mentioned 'The Beatles' somewhere - and I'm kinda waiting for 'oh, la ,la la's' slipping in there. This one is good though in a fingers tapping the steering wheel kinda way.

"Chasing the sunlight, that's why I'm staying up all night." - oh yeah, got that t-shirt.

Little Things - definitely has ancestry in 'Winter' - no bad thing. Dreamy lyrics at the start....

"High above the storm, a hurricane being born."

"Sometimes, I cant believe my existence"....."All my thoughts are so reckless." A track full of great lyrics, U2 pulsating to a finish with Edge doing what he does best.

Landlady - "No road without a turn, and if there was it would be too long". Definitely one I can drift through in a nice way - breaking into a lovely close on 3 mins - "every magic potion, every false emotion."

The Blackout - I'm in a love/ hate relationship with this track at the moment. Give me time. It's a great chorus without a shadow of a doubt, I'm just not sure about the rest of it. It did however take me months to like ' Bullet the Blue Sky"  so there is hope. Yes, two completely different songs, just sayin' it could take that long.

Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way - I just love this big, fat, juicy plum of a tune - Phil Spector is in the house here somewhere surely. Bono reaching for notes in the sky, Larry skip beating on the drums. Look, it's just a bloody great tune, not overly complicated - it feels good, its melodic - Love is just a bigger feeling than anything OK!:D Makes me smile!

There is a Light - Whoah, that was my sig on here for some time after the release of SOI as 'song for someone' took me back so much to my mothers passing in 2013 - this is a good though.

"There is a light you cant always see"....."There is a light, don't let it go out" - beautiful.

Tones dare I say of Willie Nelson in this - sorry Bono.

"Are you tough enough to be kind, do you know your heart has it's own mind."

This is a nice closer to the standard CD.

Book of Your Heart - Great track - which takes me back to the start. I might, had it been up to me, opened the album with this track. Mysterious and beautifully crafted work of art..

"THE CONTRACT OF THE HEART"

Great work U2 - It's a long way from Boy. Great early vibes from this one. Looking forward to the tour next year or whenever!  

• Like 1

The album works. It works very well. It's catchy as hell! Am I the only one on this, but the hooks on many of these songs just echo in my brain...Red Flag Day is amazing, The Little Things That Give You Away is a prayer. Crazy how records do that to you. It's much better than I hoped for, and I had HIGH hopes. 

Wow, just Wow. I am around since Boy in 1980 when I was 20, It's 2017 now, I am 57 years of age  and still can lose myself entirely in an U2 album. How amazing is that fact?! Again you took a different corner musically, raised the bar even higher while I even didn't know this was possible. This is a Big One, no doubt. Thank you Adam. Larry, The Edge, Bono and hands down: you succeeded in giving your ever demanding fans what they seek: our necessary vitamin U-2 . The best years for U2 fans are ahead of us. 

2 hours ago, kseguin said:

Ok, what gives here.  I have pre-ordered the Super Deluxe or what ever it is called, have 4 CD's on the way with for ticket purchases.  None of which came with a digital download code!

So I went online to purchase and download so my wife and I can listen to it today.  Amazon.ca (Canadian) does not have it digitally.  Went to Amazon.com, it won't let me purchase it because my credit card does not have an american address attached to it. Despite buying on amazon.com previously.

This is crazy as I am willing to pay for the download!!!!

ANY SUGGESTIONS!!!!

Your email from Ticketmaster should have been good for the official download (which is 500 MB BTW and in .wav format). Maybe check your spam folder. Although you say you ordered 4 copies of the CD's so maybe you have used up all of your codes. In any event, the official download wasn't available until today anyway.