hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

5 hours ago, dmway said:

This is part of the reason that SOE is so resonant, i.e., the songs are really on-point for today's world

The music on SOE makes me feel hope for the future of our world.

• Like 1

Summer of Love IS A Song for Someone

............Beautiful base to painfully beautiful , 'like flowers growing in a bomb crater '

You can understand how artists feel the need to self medicate when they feel the uncontrollable need to dive in and represent.

I think that is how I try to listen to these songs lined with incomprehensible human cruelty, at least initially. Imagining what kind of state of mind they would need to accept to portray this type of cruelty.  I don't know how you go into that dark room, close the door, take your deep breath and then feel.

To me, this song and Bono's Hawking (rip, well earned )  like genius is in his ability to survive, plain and simple.

He writes these 'things' - it kills him - we know that, it kills us too. He could, probably should exit that room faster than he does, dive into the pool , hide, look up through the water, decide, barely surface for a sip and sink again. That alone would be unreal I think. 

But, evidently, we know, thankfully, he can't leave without giving us all hope. Huge personal cost no doubt.

How do we teach empathy....rhetorical. The most undervalued and yet absolutely important human quality - Even more than love. Love in institutional, a word, not as frequently an action. Empathy is a speeding verb, it moves and compels. I think he owns it, at least in my realm.

• Brilliant 2

Absolutely Love the new Album, and can't wait for the Tour, a long wait to the end of the year though!!! 

Really hoping they will throw in a few surprise songs... So cruel, Who' s gonna Ride.. Trying to throw your arms... Love is Blindness, Acrobat.

A big ask, but it's been such a long time of hearing these songs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, karlt41 said:

Absolutely Love the new Album, and can't wait for the Tour, a long wait to the end of the year though!!! 

Really hoping they will throw in a few surprise songs... So cruel, Who' s gonna Ride.. Trying to throw your arms... Love is Blindness, Acrobat.

A big ask, but it's been such a long time of hearing these songs.

Clearly you like AB! :D Of course, that means you have very good taste. B) It would be good to finally hear "Acrobat" - they rehearsed it before the Outside Broadcast part of ZooTV (I think in Hershey, PA of all places), but they have never played it live. They may not have played "So Cruel" either - I'd have to check that.

Yes, plenty of the new album and AB would make my dream setlist too.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, dmway said:

Clearly you like AB! :D Of course, that means you have very good taste. B) It would be good to finally hear "Acrobat" - they rehearsed it before the Outside Broadcast part of ZooTV (I think in Hershey, PA of all places), but they have never played it live. They may not have played "So Cruel" either - I'd have to check that.

Yes, plenty of the new album and AB would make my dream setlist too.

AB ? SoI, SoE and AB, all complete would be nice. Is that too much to ask? ? at least I can accept a rest for TJT songs then ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chulia83 said:

AB ? SoI, SoE and AB, all complete would be nice. Is that too much to ask? ? at least I can accept a rest for TJT songs then ?

I'm hoping we get a couple of gems from War, Like A Song or Drowning Man would be amazing, would also like to dig the Zooropa vibe, Dirty Day, Daddy's Gonna Pay, Lemon.....yes.....fabulous low key album, very under rated.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, chulia83 said:

We were talking about that in this thread (and others) - I hope it comes to pass one way or another. I'd love for them to do AB all the way through the same way they did JT all the way through last year. IMHO, it works even better as a cohesive whole. Maybe after the SOE tour - it would be the 30th anniversary of AB by then! B)

We were also talking about their doing SOI and SOE together since they are clearly companion albums; it would be difficult seeing that as a world-trotting tour because of all the songs they wouldn't be playing. However, I suggested some kind of special fanclub gig or two to play those two albums in particular together - maybe that could come to pass? Who knows... :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Re tour: From JT you'd always hope to hear Street and WOWY. A show I guess, would always need their inclusion. Apart from that, given last years dedication to that album, I would hope this tour frees up space to include other tracks less trodden. Dare I say, we don't need to re-visit 'Boy' or 'October' - they've done a grand job of that before too. Let's have a few more AB/ Popmart/ ATLCLB/ HTDAAB even NLOTH inclusions. Darn these back catalogue dilemas.

• Like 2

Songs like Pride and Sunday Bloody Sunday (that we all heard a million times) could be skipped in favour of others. Why not play Heartland, Silver and Gold or God Part II? 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

There are many people attending their 1st or 2nd U2 gig and they will be looking for the hits so it's a tough job to please everyone I guess.

I'd love Exit to feature as that was just epic on JT17. 

There has been talk that the band will be featuring a number of rarities this tour so hoping we all get something we want.

• Like 1

Like a song

Drowning Man

Acrobat

Sweet Fire Of Love

Dancing Barefoot

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I remember one Edge interview last year that toyed with the idea of them playing absolutely nothing from The Joshua Tree. The idea of a U2 show without Streets is weird...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, peterferris8 said:

I remember one Edge interview last year that toyed with the idea of them playing absolutely nothing from The Joshua Tree. The idea of a U2 show without Streets is weird...

Agreed - that would be the concert equivalent of coitus interruptus...got to have the climax for a fully-enjoyable U2 concert experience. :)

They certainly have enough material to skip everything else on JT though - not hearing WOWY wouldn't bother me (moreover, getting a rarely-played song like "Exit" instead would be great).

I wonder what the over/under would be for songs from SOE being played on this tour. IMHO, it could be as low as 5, but as high as 10 if "Book Of Your Heart" is potentially included. What do we think?

4 hours ago, dmway said:

Agreed - that would be the concert equivalent of coitus interruptus...got to have the climax for a fully-enjoyable U2 concert experience. :)

They certainly have enough material to skip everything else on JT though - not hearing WOWY wouldn't bother me (moreover, getting a rarely-played song like "Exit" instead would be great).

I wonder what the over/under would be for songs from SOE being played on this tour. IMHO, it could be as low as 5, but as high as 10 if "Book Of Your Heart" is potentially included. What do we think?

I think you are right and suspect around 7 songs will figure from SOE.

I think several songs are ready for a well deserved rest such as Elevation, Beautiful Day, Bullet, WOWY, One.

maybe time to update 11 O'clock Tick Tock, Gloria and bring out some rarities.

it will be interesting to see what they kick off with in Tulsa.

• Like 1
  • Brilliant 1

28 minutes ago, russpm said:

I think you are right and suspect around 7 songs will figure from SOE.

I think several songs are ready for a well deserved rest such as Elevation, Beautiful Day, Bullet, WOWY, One.

maybe time to update 11 O'clock Tick Tock, Gloria and bring out some rarities.

it will be interesting to see what they kick off with in Tulsa.

I hope so much for another Gloria in Chicago.

I got the the electric co and out of control in Stockholm on SOI. Gloria must have been a rarity of the rarest.. ?

Prays. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Njord69 said:

Gloria must have been a rarity of the rarest

I was at that show and went crazy when I realzied they were playing Gloria.  Everyone looked at me like I was nuts, but I didn't care.  It was GREAT.  I can't imagine not having the crescendo and the bright lights of Streets.  There was a time I couldn't imagine not having One in the setlist.  Will they play a gig without Beautiful Day?  I could go without it.  I do enjoy it live as the "Touch me.", and the guitar that goes with it seem especially potent live.  I'd skip it in lieu of something else.  I've mentioned this before:  I would love to hear them do Love and Peace or Else instead of Bullet.  I've been tired of Bullet since Popmart.  I did enjoy it, every much, during the IE tour.  I hope they drag out Love and Peace.

• Like 3

Lets hope they bring out some rarities and Gloria I believe you to be an amazing song live. You lucky lucky man. 

Its one of those old songs I also would go nuts and then we maybe will be two in Chicago. ?

I'd picked the Another Place gift as my first one here as a member. They can choose any song from that time,  but the electric co I had among the best on SOI. 

I love the early postpunk U2 so much and think the band liked playing them on the SOI tour. 

They have a difficult choice but lets hope they not switch most of songs from day to day. 

That would let people go nuts

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:29 PM, russpm said:

I'm hoping we get a couple of gems from War, Like A Song or Drowning Man would be amazing, would also like to dig the Zooropa vibe, Dirty Day, Daddy's Gonna Pay, Lemon.....yes.....fabulous low key album, very under rated.

Me too ! They could triple ( cough cough ) the ticket price and I would still show for that set list. But do you see a fit or think we might truly hear a few ?

3 hours ago, Njord69 said:

Lets hope they bring out some rarities and Gloria I believe you to be an amazing song live. You lucky lucky man. 

Its one of those old songs I also would go nuts and then we maybe will be two in Chicago. ?

I'd picked the Another Place gift as my first one here as a member. They can choose any song from that time,  but the electric co I had among the best on SOI. 

I love the early postpunk U2 so much and think the band liked playing them on the SOI tour. 

They have a difficult choice but lets hope they not switch most of songs from day to day. 

That would let people go nuts

Agreed. We WOULD go nuts show to show if is were dramatically mixed up. No need for traditional electricity. As U2's friends, Eagles of Death Metal last sung, People have the power....

4 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I was at that show and went crazy when I realzied they were playing Gloria.  Everyone looked at me like I was nuts, but I didn't care.  It was GREAT.  I can't imagine not having the crescendo and the bright lights of Streets.  There was a time I couldn't imagine not having One in the setlist.  Will they play a gig without Beautiful Day?  I could go without it.  I do enjoy it live as the "Touch me.", and the guitar that goes with it seem especially potent live.  I'd skip it in lieu of something else.  I've mentioned this before:  I would love to hear them do Love and Peace or Else instead of Bullet.  I've ......... Popmart.  I did enjoy it, every much, during the IE tour.  I hope they drag out Love and Peace.

Based on what I left out of your quote, you can appreciate, yup, I agree !:Zoo_Cart:

7 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I was at that show and went crazy when I realized they were playing Gloria.  Everyone looked at me like I was nuts, but I didn't care.  It was GREAT.  I can't imagine not having the crescendo and the bright lights of Streets.  There was a time I couldn't imagine not having One in the setlist.  Will they play a gig without Beautiful Day?  I could go without it.  I do enjoy it live as the "Touch me.", and the guitar that goes with it seem especially potent live.  I'd skip it in lieu of something else.  I've mentioned this before:  I would love to hear them do Love and Peace or Else instead of Bullet.  I've been tired of Bullet since Popmart.  I did enjoy it, every much, during the IE tour.  I hope they drag out Love and Peace.

Put me down for switching out BTBS for "Love And Peace Or Else" too - one of my favorite songs from HTDAAB and the Vertigo tour as well. IMHO, for better or for worse, "One" is U2's equivalent of The Rolling Stones "Satisfaction" - i.e., no concert by them would ever be without them, a literal sine qua non. I'd like to think they could skip "Beautiful Day", but I'm not sure they ever would.

Yes, I'm up for some rarities this time around - they did a great job of polishing off some underplayed songs on the U2360 tour.

56 minutes ago, dmway said:

Put me down for switching out BTBS for "Love And Peace Or Else" too

Why would I put you down when you are agreeing with me?   :lol:   I'd give you a like if it didn't seem incredibly self serving.  I can't go after my president if I do that so you'll have to do without one.  Know you get one in my heart.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Njord69 said:

They also played Bad and the full version of 40 and it was the last night of their IE stand in Chicago.  The last night in Chicago, Njord!

19 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

Why would I put you down when you are agreeing with me?   :lol:   I'd give you a like if it didn't seem incredibly self serving.  I can't go after my president if I do that so you'll have to do without one.  Know you get one in my heart.

I just gave YOU a self serving like. Partly because I agree and partly because it felt good. Don't hold your likes too closely. Not getting any younger !:blink:

• Like 2