hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

18 hours ago, JCF said:

this album has given me so much more to think and feel about than any other since Achtung Baby, but I was only 16 when that came out and really couldn't appreciate its depth of feeling and experience like I can now with SOE.  

Same here, in that it is the album that's affected me most since Achtung Baby.  

• Like 2

On 4/5/2018 at 9:21 PM, JCF said:

I don't remember doing this with other albums. I was not as active here as I am now so maybe we did, but I have been more active the past few months here than ever before because of this thread!  And because this album has given me so much more to think and feel about than any other since Achtung Baby, but I was only 16 when that came out and really couldn't appreciate its depth of feeling and experience like I can now with SOE. 

6 hours ago, Manohlive said:

You know, I have to concur with this too. After "Achtung Baby", POP, HTDAAB, and NLOTH very strongly appealed to me as well, but they didn't hit me viscerally, mentally, and spiritually the same way that AB did/does/will do forever. The closest to meeting the "AB standard" for me is SOE. It may be a bit too soon to say so definitively, but I am confident as time goes on that I am going to continue to like SOE every bit as much as I do now - just like AB.

• Like 2

On 4/6/2018 at 9:01 PM, dmway said:

It may be a bit too soon to say so definitively, but I am confident as time goes on that I am going to continue to like SOE every bit as much as I do now - just like AB.

It is early to be saying it.  I have said before that I think Achtung Baby is the greatest album since Sgt. Pepper's.  I was not expecting SOE to affect me as much as it has. I've been going through very rough times dealing with severe head pain/trauma.  I seek neither sympathy nor empathy.  I've got it good compared to so many people in this world.  I do get very down because pain will get the best of anyone.  It's weird.  I can barely see the text when I write. I have to come in here a dozen times and rewrite posts because I can't write and edit them straight away. Screens kill my eyes.  Movement hurts, blah, blah.  I'm very blessed because I've discovered, through this album, that I can listen to music no matter the pain. I may have to turn down the bass, however; I can now listen to music as I wish and need where I was often not able to do anything.  I did not know this until SOE.  I was going through a particularly challenging time when SOE was released.   I was so excited to hear it that I played the new album despite the pain.  I was literally seeing double from my head throbbing. To my surprise and joy, I  discovered that my head did not hurt any worse with the music playing. If anything, it felt better.  I never would have known this were it not for so badly wanting to hear SOE. Before I knew/know it, I was/am up dancing and singing and not thinking about my head.  I get a break and it's the best.  When the pain comes back...I no longer feel the despair of nothing.  I know that rush of the music is going to return.  It's only a matter of when.   I was in a very bad way. I was losing it.  This is one of those select albums that saved my life.  We all have them.  This may be number one on my list.  Time will tell.

I feel very uncomfortable writing all of this, however; it's true.  I no longer take pain medication.  It made things worse. I was not addicted but it almost killed me by shutting down my GI system. Music has literally become my miracle drug and it's through U2's SOE that it was delivered.  I don't know if I should post this or not.  It is my experience.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 2
  • Brilliant 1

11 hours ago, Manohlive said:

It is early to be saying it.  I have said before that I think Achtung Baby is the greatest album since Sgt. Pepper's.  I was not expecting SOE to affect me as much as it has. I've been going through very rough times dealing with severe head pain/trauma.  I seek neither sympathy nor empathy.  I've got it good compared to so many people in this world.  I do get very down because pain will get the best of anyone.  It's weird.  I can barely see the text when I write. I have to come in here a dozen times and rewrite posts because I can't write and edit them straight away. Screens kill my eyes.  Movement hurts, blah, blah.  I'm very blessed because I've discovered, through this album, that I can listen to music no matter the pain. I may have to turn down the bass, however; I can now listen to music where I was not able to do anything.  I did not know this until SOE.  I was going through a particularly challenging time when SOE was released.   I was so excited to hear it that I played SOE despite the pain.  I was literally seeing double from my head throbbing. To my surprise and joy, I  discovered that my head did not hurt any worse with the music playing. If anything, it felt better.  I never would have known this were it not for so badly wanting to hear SOE. Before I knew/know it, I was/am up dancing and singing and not thinking about my head.  I get a break and it's the best.  When the pain comes back...I no longer feel the despair of nothing.  I know that rush of the music is going to return.  It's only a matter of when.   I was in a very bad way. I was losing it.  This is one of those select albums that saved my life.  We all have them.  This may be number one on my list.  Time will tell.

I feel very uncomfortable writing all of this, however; it's true.  I no longer take pain medication.  It made things worse.  Music has literally become my miracle drug and it's through U2's SOE that it was delivered.  I'm probably going to be mortified and hide this post.  Everything I just wrote is true.  I don't know if I should post this or not.  It is my experience.

IMHO, this is the best place to post such observations.

I always hope that stories like these actually make it to the band somehow, i.e., so they can know that their music impacts people's lives beyond just enjoying the music. That's also why I think U2 deserves to be mentioned in the same company with The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Bruce Springsteen, etc. - they satisfy and move people deeply with their music on multiple levels; that's why all these bands (and others) have developed such a devoted following for so long.

Robert Pirsig wrote a book back in the 70s called "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". It was a best-seller for a long time. The foundation of the book was a very simple question: "What is 'quality'?" More specifically, how do we recognize what has quality and what does not? We all have the ability, but what is the dividing line between the two? Mr. Pirsig wrote a very profound book-long meditation on that very topic by using details of his personal life and struggles at the time (and he had many).

So, the point of commonality here is why wouldn't you discuss your personal life to make a statement about U2's new album on U2's website? It sounds like the perfect place to me. U2 has quality in their work, and this quality binds us to this band - the shared acknowledgement of this quality is why we congregate here.

Well, I've gone on a bit. I know I'm on here so much more than usual because I love this album. I can't wait to see the tour. B)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/7/2018 at 11:33 AM, dmway said:

Well, I've gone on a bit

I'm glad I never do that..  :ph34r:   I am joking.  If I don't do that then you don't either, dmway.

Edited by Manohlive

I love SOE - infinitely more than than the 2018 subscriber gift...

Tour, please come as soon as possible...

Speaking of the tour...

Do you think they might kick off the show with "Love Is All We Have Left"? It seems like a perfect introductory song, whether or not it went straight into "Lights Of Home" (which would be fine for me as well).

What do we think?

I read a post by a Zootpian talking about The Little Things and the lyrics...sometimes...anger and grieving....far from believing...that any Sun/Son will reappear.  I commented on it in that post and realized that it was the wrong thread.  Consider...any Sun/Son will reappear and this is my response:  (it should be in this thread)

I have mentioned my belief that Bono is a master lyricist/poet/writer in quite a few posts. I speak with no authority save valuing my own opinion. I called him Sophocles good. I should have said great. Oedipus, by itself and as a trillogy,. has so many different possible meanings I'm still trying to fathom.  This is what I love about Bono and his lyrics. That double meaning he does so well and so often that it seems effortless, can also go multi-directional   It is the thing I most admire about his writing.  I had not gotten past the anger and grieving...so far from believing...I had not gotten to the part about the Son or Sun.  I like how you did sun/Son. I don't wish to impose that upon anyone. I listened to the song a few times since, thinking about your post.  He does not sing Son or Sun.  He sings...that many song will reappear.  I thought, 'Oh, no. I like it better the other way.' Something was nagging at me so I brought up the lyrics to see if I was hearing them correctly. In retrospect, it doesn't even matter because both sun/Son and any song will reappear both mean the same thing to me. I went the Sun/Son direction because it's what I believe, yet it's not what he sings.  Again, this is not to impose any belief on any person; quite the opposite.  For me, he weaves his Catholicism into almost all he writes, yet it is not Catholocism for someone of a different belief or faith.  It's all muti-faceted. He does it so well that each can relate and be moved or challenged or whatever he is intending, pretending or portending. 

I know I'm reapeating myself from earlier posts about how much I admire his writing, yet I'm still experiencing it anew and discovering things on SOE.  This is another example.  I've never been more excited to be a U2 fan.  

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dmway said:

Speaking of the tour...

Do you think they might kick off the show with "Love Is All We Have Left"? It seems like a perfect introductory song, whether or not it went straight into "Lights Of Home" (which would be fine for me as well).

What do we think?

I've thought a lot about the opening.  I do for any concert I see.  It seems to be the way.  To sing Love Is All and then Lights of Home sets the tone for the whole show.  It's what I am wishing.  They'll probably do that and then change it for Chicago when I get to see the show.  lol   It wouldn't surprise me to see them do a few things.  I think you called the opening.  It would be awesome.  I'd love it if they then went straight into Red Flag Day.   Wow.  Excitement abounds.

Edited by Manohlive

On 6/4/2018 at 9:49 PM, Manohlive said:

Same for me

• Like 2

On 4/7/2018 at 12:33 PM, dmway said:

So, the point of commonality here is why wouldn't you discuss your personal life to make a statement about U2's new album on U2's website? It sounds like the perfect place to me. U2 has quality in their work, and this quality binds us to this band - the shared acknowledgement of this quality is why we congregate here.

I totally agree.

On 4/7/2018 at 12:40 AM, Manohlive said:

I feel very uncomfortable writing all of this, however; it's true.  I no longer take pain medication.  It made things worse.  Music has literally become my miracle drug and it's through U2's SOE that it was delivered.  I don't know if I should post this or not.  It is my experience.

Thanks for posting, man olive.  My best friend and her husband are going through a horrible trauma; their lives will never be close to the same; in many ways they have been completely ruined. And every time I listen to SOE I think it was written for them specifically.  "Darkness always gathers around the light" is one line that speaks so much truth and some hope.   It's amazing what this album gives on so many levels.  I'm glad it has helped you and I totally agree with DMway's commentary.  

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, JCF said:

My best friend and her husband are going through a horrible trauma; their lives will never be close to the same; in many ways they have been completely ruined

It's all about picking one's own self up and rebuilding.  Things will never be the same.  The human condition is either we find that inner strength or we give up and fold.  I hope your friends find peace soon.  Please know that, for me, my friends even not knowing what to say or saying the wrong thing or even just saying nothing-that love is the best thing possible. It keeps me going.. When it seems like they are doing the least, so my friends think; they are still doing the best thing because they love me and let me love them. Even if you are treading water and trying to help and say something stupid-know that you are helping much more than you realize.  I would not have gotten through the last couple of days, leave alone the last two decades, without my friends.  I'm really sorry your friends are suffering.  I'm sorry you have to see it because that means you are hurting too.  I'm glad they have you as a friend because your words show you care.  That is what I needed most and still do.  Even a quick, "Hi.  I'm thinking about you.  I love (care about or whatever) you.", can completely turn it back2good. for me.  I can only hope, while knowing it's possible, that your friends will heal. It may be a life long process but they will heal.  Keep loving them no matter and you're doing much more than you realize.  I profess no new truth.  You already know this stuff.  You words speak it. Don't doubt it when you see your friends having an especially hard time.  I see my friends despair because they want to help me and think they are not. I'm never able to effectively tell them how much they already have, and still are helping.  

Thank you for what you said in response to my comment.  Being able to come in here and read and write and know that even when I'm at my most absurd-it's okay, because Zootpians are very kind and understanding people means so much to me.  It's helping me heal.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Manohlive said:

It's all about picking one's own self up and rebuilding.  Things will never be the same.  The human condition is either we find that inner strength or we give up and fold.  I hope your friends find peace soon.  Please know that, for me, my friends even not knowing what to say or saying the wrong thing or even just saying nothing-that love is the best thing possible. It keeps me going.. When it seems like they are doing the least, so my friends think; they are still doing the best thing because they love me and let me love them. Even if you are treading water and trying to help and say something stupid-know that you are helping much more than you realize.  I would not have gotten through the last couple of days, leave alone the last two decades, without my friends.  I'm really sorry your friends are suffering.  I'm sorry you have to see it because that means you are hurting too.  I'm glad they have you as a friend because your words show you care.  That is what I needed most and still do.  Even a quick, "Hi.  I'm thinking about you.  I love (care about or whatever) you.", can completely turn it back2good. for me.  I can only hope, while knowing it's possible, that your friends will heal. It may be a life long process but they will heal.  Keep loving them no matter and you're doing much more than you realize.  I profess no new truth.  You already know this stuff.  You words speak it. Don't doubt it when you see your friends having an especially hard time.  I see my friends despair because they want to help me and think they are not. I'm never able to effectively tell them how much they already have, and still are helping.  

Thank you for what you said in response to my comment.  Being able to come in here and read and write and know that even when I'm at my most absurd-it's okay, because Zootpians are very kind and understanding people means so much to me.  It's helping me heal.

I'm sorry you have been having such a hard time and glad your friends are there for you. Yes, friends matter and I am certainly there for my friend and her little kids, and always will be, and yes, going through it too. 

Yes, people are kind here.  I have visited a few other forums here and there on the internet and this place is nice. I have seen the moderators step in and get folks back in line if they stray from the civil. I really appreciate that about the Zoo forum.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JCF said:

I'm sorry you have been having such a hard time and glad your friends are there for you

Thank you.  I'll be fine.  This I know.  A lot of good has come from bad.  Then Pope, now Saint John Paul II gave my Godfather, who is a priest and was celebrating a private mass with the Pope, his own rosary and told my Godfather to give it to me and know that he was prarying for me by name. My Godfather had mentioned me to him. For me, life cannot get any better than that even if it hurts a lot. It's still pretty hard to fathom that I have Saint John Paul II's personal rosary, or one of them.  I imagine there were a few. I am not trying to impose any beliefs upon anyone in speaking this.  It is one of my best expeirences and this thread is about Songs of Experience so I mention it.  So much good has come from it all.  When Elton John was last in Chicago, I went and was in really bad shape. The show ws sold out.  I politely asked the floor manager if there was anything he could do and he said he doubted it but he'd try.  They did more than try.  They put me in the head honcho VIP section. There were a lot of very famous people up there, but I ddn't care.  I was in the second row with no one in front of me.  I got to watch Elton John's fingers play the piano for the whole show. I was just a little behind him, but to the right and could see every finger hit every key. He also had on a very sparkly Captain Fantastic cape. Oh my gosh...Captain Fantastic in rhinestones on Elton John performing in front of me?  I could not have been happier. Concerts are the best medicine for me when I could listen to music.  I had to stop but was able to restart again-that is in a post earlier in this thread. Toward the end, they let a few of us go up by the stage. He let me go first!  Elton John looked at me and smiled when I walked up by him. I was standing right beneath Elton John when he played and sang Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me and The Bitch is Back and a few others.  I remember going to buy the 45 for Don't Let The Sun...the second I first heard it on the radio.  I didn't even wait for the song to finish. I was on my purple three speed bicycle frantically pedalling to the store and I paid for that 45 with 149 pennies. Suddenly life comes back round full circle and I'm standing beneath him, now an adult, and he's looking down while he sings that song.  I felt like the luckiest guy on the face of the Earth. So many good things have come out of facing challenges.  I will be, and am, just fine. I hope the same is true for your friends. Thank you very much. Again, not to impose, but if you PM or give me the fitst names of your friends-I promise I will pray for them using the rosary I was given and just mentioned in this post.  If not it's all good because I'll pray for JCF and the two friends who hit hard times.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 2

On 4/7/2018 at 11:33 AM, dmway said:

That's also why I think U2 deserves to be mentioned in the same company with The Beatles,

For me, U2 is the only band that can be mentioned with The Beatles.  It's not that other bands are not that great. (U2 is still the best though!)   It is because U2 is the only band I've heard come up with so many unique sounds and use them in so many ways that had previously never been done in music.  I concur.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

U2 Fans I Big Love

"With a worsening storm, our sources have headed for home to stay warm and dry and have reported in to say that they are safe. These fans have suffered through extreme cold and adverse weather conditions for a number of days since the band arrived in Montreal. The unseasonable winter conditions are unusual for the area at this time of the year and have taken many by surprise. In Toronto, affected by the storm yesterday, over 75% of the flights out of the city were canceled in the early part of the day and the power is out in several regions around Toronto."

?❤️❤️?

Source: U2 Songs

It's amazing what one can pick up when you listen to an album hundreds of times... :D

The birds chirping at the very end of "Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way" reminds me very much of the birds singing at the beginning of "Unknown Caller" from NLOTH.

For those with the technology and the interest, are they the same birds, i.e., is it the same recording? (If they are, are we meant to read anything into that?)

Also, people have pointed out Bono's lyric in LIBTAIIW, "If I could hear myself when I say...", and how it puts a different spin on the lyrics of the whole song. It certainly does! All songs are meant to be consumed by the world at large (or else they wouldn't be songs in the first place); however, with this line in it, strictly speaking, Bono seems to be singing to himself - at least in the chorus. I wonder what Bono was thinking when he wrote/sang those lyrics. He just as easily could have come up with different words, but he wrote and sang those specifically. It does make me wonder...

On 4/16/2018 at 4:22 PM, dmway said:

It's amazing what one can pick up when you listen to an album hundreds of times... :D

The birds chirping at the very end of "Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way" reminds me very much of the birds singing at the beginning of "Unknown Caller" from NLOTH.

For those with the technology and the interest, are they the same birds, i.e., is it the same recording? (If they are, are we meant to read anything into that?)

Also, people have pointed out Bono's lyric in LIBTAIIW, "If I could hear myself when I say...", and how it puts a different spin on the lyrics of the whole song. It certainly does! All songs are meant to be consumed by the world at large (or else they wouldn't be songs in the first place); however, with this line in it, strictly speaking, Bono seems to be singing to himself - at least in the chorus. I wonder what Bono was thinking when he wrote/sang those lyrics. He just as easily could have come up with different words, but he wrote and sang those specifically. It does make me wonder...

I've been listening to it even more recently (big surprise), and SOE seems to fit, to my ears anyway, the quasi-template that they have employed on many albums beginning with AB.

Roughly, this template would consist of:

A. The Opening/The Prelude (usually consists of the first two songs)

B. The (or, at least, A (Potential)) Single

C. The "Meat" Of The Album

D. The Peak (hard rocking and/or intense song - the 2nd-to-last song on the album)

E. The Calming Resolution (at least musically; lyrically, it may be more subtly intense than the music - the last song on the album)

Maybe "guideline" would be a better description - in any case, AB, Zooropa, ATYCLB (non-UK/Ireland version), NLOTH, and now SOE seem to fit this guideline.

Anyone else notice such, or even a different, pattern?

A "P.S." for the above...

Upon looking more at the whole catalogue, even JT and R&H seem to fit this rough pattern too.

I should add that I don't think they go into a recording session saying, "Ok, boys! This is a U2 album - remember the template!" I think this pattern is noticed after the fact - i.e., after they record all the songs that might be included on an album, when they pick the ones that go on and the running order, they end up with a whole that displays this rough pattern. So, in their collective opinion, ordering songs in such a way appeals to them.

I would be surprised if such a quasi-guideline were unique to U2 albums. However, they do seem to like this kind of running order, especially the last two songs.

On 4/10/2018 at 8:51 PM, dmway said:

Speaking of the tour...

What do we think?

I think they will enter the stage to the recorded track of "Love is All We Have Left".

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rich T. said:

I think they will enter the stage to the recorded track of "Love is All We Have Left".

I can see LIAWHL being used as a bridge into Streets.

On 4/19/2018 at 12:46 PM, adrnik said:

I can see LIAWHL being used as a bridge into Streets.

That is something which I never would have imagined.  Love Is All and then Streets to open the show?   That would be awesome and they'd oblige the need for Streets at the beginning of the show, while leaving the rest for SOE and all those rarities we are anxiously anticipating for the rest of the show.  

Edited by Manohlive

People have mentioned Acrobat being a song they really want to hear on this tour.  I never really listened to Acrobat (sat and concentrated and listened to it).  I am not sure why.  It must have been the point in AB where I had to use the restroom or needed a beverage-so I was up and about doing something when it played.  I made myself really listen to Acrobat earlier and it finally hit me why so many people mention it.  It is an amazing song.  I'm not sure why I did not realize this until now; up and about doing things or not. Many thanks to those who mentioned it.  I might never have realized this had y'all not been so passionate.  I now want it on the setlist, this tour, as well.  

i love  acrobat, It reminds me of being 17 listening to Nicky Campbell’s late night show on radio 1 in the UK just after AB came out and him saying how blown away he was with this track. 

Its epic.

Hey guys. Just having a think about BOYH (which is great with more listens). Have been discussing the Hotel California-esque ending and someone said that the start is reminiscent of a piece of music in a film.  Can’t think what it is, but love it all the same. Any suggestions??