hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

On 12/28/2017 at 12:37 PM, lionwehr240579 said:

I love the album so much!!!!

My favorite song is by far Book of Your Heart--to me this is a perfect synthesis of the band's career. Too bad it's only on the Deluxe edition of the album. I don't understand why it's not on the regular album...

Yep..... That's my favourite too....And Love is all We Have left, too !!!!

Book Of Your Heart Should have been on the album !!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pain_18_ said:

Yep..... That's my favourite too....And Love is all We Have left, too !!!!

Book Of Your Heart Should have been on the album !!!

This problem occasionally occurs on U2 albums, i.e., they record so many good songs that they must have a difficult time figuring out what goes on the album proper and what remains as an extra.

Another song like BOYH from the ATYCLB sessions that I thought was truly magnificent was "Stateless". A great song that didn't find a home until "The Million Dollar Hotel" soundtrack. However, despite how much I love the song, I think the band made the right choice leaving it off - I can't pick a spot with all of the other songs on it where it would have fit properly.

The same with BOYH. I might prefer it to an individual song or two that made SOE, but I don't know where it would have fit in the overall flow of SOE. I understand why many here (including myself) like the song so much: it's one of the few songs where Edge's guitar work is especially good; it's quintessentially Edge-like - prominent yet not guitar-hero-ish, the tone of his playing cuts to the quick; despite being moderately restrained, it matches the vocal intensity of Bono's singing. There's a quiet relentlessness to it, complementary to and distinct from Larry's more evident relentlessness on the drums. Not to mention Adam's pounding and rolling bass. It's a great song. But, where would you have put it on the album?

Reluctantly, IMHO, they made the right decision leaving it off the album proper; they also made the right decision including it on the deluxe edition - it's too good to have kept it from our ears any longer.

(P.S. ...a few hours later... Even if you think back to SOI, both "Lucifer's Hands" and "The Crystal Ballroom" are fantastic songs. I like both individually more than certain tracks that made SOI - however, neither would have fitted the flow or the concept of SOI. Therefore, I have to agree with the band's decision both to leave them off SOI and to include them on the deluxe edition - not quite right to make the album, but too good to keep hidden. BOYH is in the same category (IMHO, of course.))

Edited by dmway
added P.S.
  • Brilliant 1

Another question for those who have already seen a date (or more) live: do they blend "Love Is Bigger Than Anything In It's Way" with "13", or do they pause between the two, as on SOE? I'm kind of rooting for a blending (i.e., the end of one segueing directly into the beginning of the other), but the album method would be fine too.

What do they do? Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, dmway said:

Another question for those who have already seen a date (or more) live: do they blend "Love Is Bigger Than Anything In It's Way" with "13", or do they pause between the two, as on SOE? I'm kind of rooting for a blending (i.e., the end of one segueing directly into the beginning of the other), but the album method would be fine too.

What do they do? Thanks in advance!

Pause between. The band usually stand together before they go to their corners for 13. Bono usually something as well.

• Thanks 1

Just saw the snippet of the "Lights Of Home" performance from Chicago on the news section of the website. I was wondering how Larry got the really cavernous sound in some sections of the song - now I see that he used tympani mallets (instead of regular sticks) to get it. I like that it wasn't just a studio effect. (John Bonham and Keith Moon (among many others) used to do the same thing on songs by Led Zeppelin and The Who, respectively.) It's a good sound. I'm glad he used it on LOH.

Edited by dmway

I just feckin love this! Best band in the world.:MacphistoSignal:

• Like 3

Lovely version of Love Is Bigger! ;)

Ok, I've to say: I am addicted to SoE :D
Currently in loop with The Showman :wub:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seresere said:

Lovely version of Love Is Bigger! ;)

Ok, I've to say: I am addicted to SoE :D

Welcome to the club! ?

• Like 1

Been watching this footage of 13 from night 2 in Chicago. If you watch to the end and listen closely, at the end Bono speaks some of the lyrics from Walk On. Nice. Interesting choice as well, because I thought that song would be tainted for the band after the way ASSK has reacted (or not reacted) to the Rohingya crisis. 

• Like 1
  • Brilliant 1

I retract my statement. 

Edited by ReachSoHigh
more to say

7 hours ago, ReachSoHigh said:

I would like the hear that the band played 'Bad' for these reasons:

Heroin use more than doubled among young adults ages 18–25 in the past decade.

More than 9 in 10 people who used heroin also used at least one other drug.

45% of people who used heroin were also addicted to prescription opioid painkillers.

Heroin use is not cool. Stop it. Stop it now.

I think that's why they played it so often on the JT anniversary show last year. It was very poignant of them to do so.

I'm really looking forward to hearing the songs from SOE live.

I know that opinion isn't in vogue with those who think that they are/should be merely a legacy act, but bands - all bands - if they have new music, go on tour to promote that music. Yes, they'll play songs from the back catalog as well. But, they are not a human jukeboxes (Larry's famous complaint during the original JT tour). What THEY want to play actually does matter. In fact, since they are the ones performing, they are the final arbiters - and it's exactly right that they are.

If you are debating going to a future show and don't like the recurrent songs so far on the tour, the answer is very simple - save yourself the trouble and don't go. This is not meant to be a nasty comment. Just ask yourself - "Why go to a show where I don't like the songs?" I wouldn't do it; I don't know why anyone else would either.

For me, the answer is simple - I'm going and really looking forward to going because their shows are always thought out and performed well. Even if I see a setlist in advance, hearing the actual performance of the songs is always better and in unexpected ways. From ZooTV onward, every single tour has been interesting visually and well as sonically - the visuals perfectly complementary to the music. That gives each and every tour a wonderfully unique identity - we get a similarity in sets this time, but that's because it's the second part of a two-part story. Despite the similarity, the videos are much higher resolution this time and have an AR component that didn't previously exist in their shows - that's truly amazing. I always expect a lot out of them, and they have surpassed my expectations yet again.

I want to hear the SOE songs blend with songs I already know by them. I want to see how they augment them visually. Heck, I want to hear what a JT-free setlist sounds like - that's audacious, but, then again, they have always been audacious - that's why they still matter as a band.

This motivation to stretch the band in unexpected ways is what led to UF, AB, the ZOOTV tour (remember they played 8 new songs right at the beginning of the show at the start of that tour - that takes cojones), the U2360 tour, etc. Don't stifle this band - they are best when they don't do the usual. As I already said, that's why they still matter.

Bring on SOE live...

• Brilliant 1

7 hours ago, ReachSoHigh said:

I would like the hear that the band played 'Bad' for these reasons:

Heroin use more than doubled among young adults ages 18–25 in the past decade.

More than 9 in 10 people who used heroin also used at least one other drug.

45% of people who used heroin were also addicted to prescription opioid painkillers.

Heroin use is not cool. Stop it. Stop it now.

I'm always up for hearing Bad live. The wording of your statements concerning narcotics has me puzzled.  You do realize that opioid addiction is leading to herion use, correct?  I'm assuming so.  Heroin is a narcotic. Oxycontin, once the coating was removed, was pretty much synthetic herion.  A narcotic is a narcotic.  Codeine is a narcotic.  Ultram is a narcotic.  Any of them can lead to heroin addiction.  It would be extremely rare for the reverse to happen as heroin is dirt cheap next to painkillers sold on the streets. 

You said: Heroin use is not cool. Stop it. Stop it now----it's not that simple.  Life expectancy has now gone down by two years in America because of narcotic use. Heroin is one part of the equation. The deadliest factor, for now, is fentany. It is not cool to produce and mass market any narcotic. It is not cool to be illegally importing narcotics.   One could argue there are not worse narcotics than fentanyl on the streets. Deadly is deadly, albeit a cobra or a viper.  It is really nice to see someone concerned and expressing it. Sadly, saying stop it now is even less effective than just say no was. If it was that easy, we would not have a national crisis. It's bad., and it's getting exponentially worse. This is a defining part of my adult life experience.  I think I'm okay posting this.  I hope I have not offended anyone or been argumentative..

I don't think we're gonna hear Bad, ReachSoHigh.  I thought about them playing it during both of the Chicago shows I saw..  I would not have wanted to hear it, even though it pains me to say that. It would not have worked, at least for me, with the cohesiveness of this show.  

1 hour ago, ReachSoHigh said:

I just thought..

Cool.  I just thought too.  I'm sorry if I overwhelmed you.  It was not my intent.  We are free to think whatever we like in these forums as long as we respect one another is what I've been told.  Write what you think.  I do.  Why shouldn't you?  It's all good.  I'm writing about opioids.  I need to keep myself in check when the subject rises.  I did not think enough about taming my response.  Thanks for saying what I quoted.  It tells me I still need to chill in how I write.  ?

On 5/7/2018 at 2:24 PM, peterferris8 said:

The Little Things: 

What's Going On: 

These are so good that they need to be bumped... B)

• Upvote 2

On 5/25/2018 at 6:36 PM, seresere said:

I'm also currently digging The Showman.  It's now on my at least once a day playlist.  I can't help but think of Bono in that hat when he sings it, which makes me wonder how he keeps that hat atop his head during the show.  Think it is being worn with a sense of humor?   

Edited by Manohlive

I love that Adam says in the recent Rolling Stone interview that they have rehearsed and would love to add The Showman (dang, it's so clever and true and funny and brilliant) and Landlady.  "We're 10 dates into it and we're trying to include as many as possible from the new record. There's still a couple of them we haven't really dug into, but we'd like to perform. "The Showman" is something we rehearsed up early on. We just managed to get "Red Flag Day" in, but we'd like to get "Landlady" in too. There's some other colors that we'd like to add, but we aren't there yet."

• Brilliant 2

On 5/28/2018 at 2:07 PM, dmway said:

These are so good that they need to be bumped... B)

I ran out of "like" buttons for the day.....but..yeah!!!  

• Haha 1

I would blend '13' (play just a snippet) with 'Song for Someone' and END the show with Book Of Your Heart !!!

The showman is still my least favorite song. Ive already stated why in detail in the past. I still feel the same. No need to rehash. That said, I wouldn't object if it found it's way to the setlist.

Edited by Shannon387
  • Upvote 1

Reading the latest Rolling Stone articles... Sounding like there won't be any more US dates for this tour. Sooooo glad I made the trip to Vegas.

2 hours ago, Shannon387 said:

Reading the latest Rolling Stone articles... Sounding like there won't be any more US dates for this tour. Sooooo glad I made the trip to Vegas.

Do you have a link for those?

17 minutes ago, Shannon387 said:

Here you go

Thank you for posting these! ?

I hope those wheezing about the setlist will read these stories too... ?

Edited by dmway
  • Like 2