hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

17 minutes ago, pmickey said:

The album works. It works very well. It's catchy as hell! Am I the only one on this, but the hooks on many of these songs just echo in my brain...Red Flag Day is amazing, The Little Things That Give You Away is a prayer. Crazy how records do that to you. It's much better than I hoped for, and I had HIGH hopes. 

I went to bed last night with Red Flag Day in my head...lol so I know where you're coming from.

I am stunned. I have goose bumps. The album is big, the sounds are big. They fill your mind and fill your soul. You FEEL this album partly due to the momentum in the bass n' drums. They reached into their U2 sound toolbox and built a winner with some new tricks too. The arrangement of sounds really works. Many have said it feels like listening to ATYCLB all over again and I would agree. Not that they sound the same, but they feel similar. It begs to be listened as a whole versus single by single. My vinyl player will LOVE this one. Combine Experience with Innocence for an epic sonic experience. Some have complained how they re-hashed some ideas and sounds from Innocence however I disagree. They made the dual album concept really work. You can hear the connections and see them in your mind. Well done lads, well done indeed. Can't wait to take my boys to see the show.

• Like 1

Just listened. There are some good songs but I don't think this is as good as I+E. Overall is OK.

Maybe it will grow on me. The good news is most U2 albums that I love started that way, the first time I heard I wasn't blown away. So, I am optimistic. 

When you buy the deluxe CD through the U2.com story aren't you supposed to get a digital download as well? I haven't gotten an email with the credentials.

I love how the album flows and it has some great songs. My personal favorites are TLTTGYA, Red Flag Day and Summer of Love. I really think that The Blackout will sound great live.

13 (There Is A Light) gives me goosebumps every time I hear it and it is great improvement from Song For Someone.

I like the album version of The Little Things WAY BETTER then the live version...I love the orchestration towards the end. I am just now listening to the Album, seriously it feels like a Mix of The Verve meets Coldplay meets INXS meets U2. It's alright.

The Band should have taken a year off after the JTT2017 the album doesn't sound finished. Disappointed with it. Too mellow. No big guitar parts.

I've been a critical fan of late with some of the teeny pop singles they've released. HOWEVER, the album is far better than the sum of its parts. I agree with others in that this is perhaps their best collective body of work since their return to form in the early 2000s. It's a personal album from Bono about I guess the fragility of life and love. Yes no sweeping landscapes of the JT or sonic overload of the 1990s, but it will be remembered as a key record and perhaps the turning point from where U2 can certainly return to the creative place they once knew well. 

I am enjoying the record - it will get played again and again. It is an intimate record - something that will stand the test of time. I've given it 4 stars on my amazon review - docking one star for their choice of singles to release - perhaps they've bowed to commercial pressures there. U2 don't need to compete with their contemporaries in the business. They simply need to do what they do best and write from the heart. 

P.S. The artwork is wee bland I think. An opportunity wasted - A t-shirt with the album cover isn't something I'd rush to wear. There's nothing exciting in it - I understand the message but it doesn't really make for great mechanising. Minor gripe. The music is good so that's the main thing.

Edited by Amrit

42 minutes ago, kitemaster said:

The Band should have taken a year off after the JTT2017 the album doesn't sound finished. Disappointed with it. Too mellow. No big guitar parts.

Fair point,  This is a decent effort and the result is perfectly fine for the times.  I don't think it should have required 5+ years.  We've heard of these songs in one form or another since 2012 or before..ie songs of ascent or whatever...I'm glad to hear any U2 song but perhaps combining the best 15 songs from both records would have produced the near gem they're looking for.....the rest could of have been put on hold, or never have come to light. 

• Like 1

Listened to Love Is All We Have Left and was staggered by the emotional pain and beauty of the track.   Not sure SOI, which I enjoy, had a song that hit me that hard.

4 hours ago, corybento said:

I was able to get 2 tickets for the upcoming tour. Part of that purchase includes a cd of SOE. I am NOT happy about that! I don't need 2 copies of the cd! Not only that, but they won't arrive at my house until Dec 6. Not Dec 1, Dec 6! I would have much preferred a lower ticket price, and the option of going out today to my local record store and buying the music myself so that I can hear it today!

I really doubt that the CD that comes with each ticket has anything to do with the ticket price. If you want the CD today, buy it and share the free CDs with a couple friends 😁🎸. 

3 minutes ago, Nawlins said:

Red Flag takes me back to War 

Noticed that as well.  There's so much regurgitation from past tunes that I was hoping it was part of some master plan and not just well, same stuff. At least w Red Flag its mor a feeling and sound than with other tunes that literally took riffs,sounds or choruses of   Cedarwood Road, Beautiful Day, All because of You, , etc,etc,etc and ETC....I'd also like the edge to really play some new guitar before all is said and done...I'm a lil tired of the electric acoustic, minimalist stuff... anyways, all good 

28 minutes ago, smsully said:

Noticed that as well.  There's so much regurgitation from past tunes that I was hoping it was part of some master plan and not just well, same stuff. At least w Red Flag its mor a feeling and sound than with other tunes that literally took riffs,sounds or choruses of   Cedarwood Road, Beautiful Day, All because of You, , etc,etc,etc and ETC....I'd also like the edge to really play some new guitar before all is said and done...I'm a lil tired of the electric acoustic, minimalist stuff... anyways, all good 

The Showman has traces of War in it but then it goes full blown into something that probably should have been on ACTYCLB or even Pop. 

31 minutes ago, smsully said:

Ha! I'm a drummer so I rarely notice the guitar that much until Edge goes into "ching ching ching" chorus parts. The drums and bass on this album are BADASS. 

57 minutes ago, Nawlins said:

Red Flag takes me back to War 

I very much agree. It appears that many of the songs are either unfinished re-worked songs from albums before or its a project representing there impressive discography. Is this a subtle goodbye this legendary band is giving us ? 

Personally id love to see an AB anniversary tour like JT. AB for me is the bands most defined and greatest album and then a final album and tour as a goodbye. This gives them another half decade or so of employment :)

Dont want to see them as a tribute band of themselves or another Rolling Stones who for me have diminished most of there relevance and influence staying in the game for far too long. 

Edited by GeorgeM_11

DEFINITLEY RFD SOUNDS LIKE WAR TIMES BUT REFRESH!!! WITH ALL THE EXPERIENCE U2 TOOK FROM ALL THESE YEARS, I LIKE A LOT.

THE ALBUM IS A SOFT BEAUTIFUL JOURNEY TO THE BAND AND BONOS HISTORY WITH HIGHS AND LOWS IN LIFE, TELLING THE WORLD THAT U2 IS WITH BOTH FEETS IN THE FUTURE AND THEY DONT HAVE THE INTENTION TO LOOK BACK.

THIS SONGS, PRODUCTION AND CONCEPT IS A 5 DIAMOND RECORD THAT TAKE AND TIE THE U2 HANDS TO THE FUTURE.

I CAN TELL YOU THAT THIS RECORD FOR ME IS THEIR BEST RECORD SINCE ACHTUNG BABY!!!!

ITS AWESOME THE WAY THE BAND SOUNDS LIKE A UNITY...........THEY SOUND LIKE ONE!!

CONGRATULATIONS BOYS!!!!

TRULY A 5 DIAMOND RECORD.

I have been a fan since the Unforgettable Fire, but the sound of this new U2 cd is the same as an average boyband. Bad production. They even use a vocoder in some songs ! And it's not even in a funny way. U2 has turned Coldplay. (For the kids, you know). I have heard some of the songs on this album played live and they sounded good.
But I dislike the production on this cd. I have a theory that every cd without Daniel Lanois as producer just doesnt lift the songs beyond ordinary average pop songs. Once performed live those average produced songs often gain strength.

I wish that in the future U2 could produce a NEW cd that is performed live. Live is where U2 really shines. I love them live !

Or bring back the soundmagician called Mr Lanois....

Edited by bettydalton

I think Pop has finally been replaced as U2 weakest album. It is now sadly SOE.

Edited by leilanie
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

This could very well be their swan song.  It does give one the impression that it's representative of their wonderful discography.  I'm blessed to have been a part of the ride, and I still believe that U2 are the best, but before they call it a day, come to the Apollo Theatre.

:)

Edited by angelofharlem4u2

I certainly dont believe this cd is their swan song. But I do believe it is their worst PRODUCED cd since October. Get Lanois back as producer. Or let's just wait till they play these songs live. Live changes everything for U2's songs. Some new songs I thougt were really ok played live. U2 put so much time in thinking about this cd. They rerecorded everything. Sometimes too much fiddling is just too much! U2 sounds like a boyband now, I just cant get used to it, even after 15 times listening. Bono's voice is artificially hightened with a vocoder. That's boyband stuff. Or Coldplay stuff... Why did they do that?

Edited by bettydalton
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, unforgettableu2 said:

Bono's voice is a highlight for me.....

His Voice/lyrics seems to be a centerpiece over the musical composition....if you know what I mean?

But then again...this is after one listen......and intuitive instinct....

Listening to a U2 album is like unraveling messages in the bible....they get deeper and more complex with each reading.......and new sounds are heard/noticed with time

I LOVE your description of unraveling the messages in  a U2 song. So true.

Why do I love the fact that Eli & Sian are on this cover & holding hands. It gets me everytime I look at it.  Love everything about it. Waiting for my CD to arrive to listen, read lyrics, & get to know these songs. Tried to sneak a peek today on Spotify. Red Flag spoke to me, being a beach lover I love when Bono sings about& refers to the Ocean. His voice on Every Breaking Wave(radio edit) just blows me away !!! Great day for U2 & their fans❤️

10 minutes ago, sam52 said:

I LOVE your description of unraveling the messages in  a U2 song. So true.

Me too! Is this why I can listen to With or Without you, &  One everyday for over 25 years & still get chills ???