hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

Recommended Posts

Please guys be more daring with the setlist!!

Surely songs from Pop falli to the category of 'Experience' as well as so many others that we're currently not hearing.

Much as I love them I'm bored of Vertigo, Elevation and Desire no matter how ther're mixed...

Why not some venue shaking Mofo or partying Discotheque???

WhennI look Around the World, Stand Up Comedey, California... To name just a few!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BAD_WOLF said:

Please guys be more daring with the setlist!!

Surely songs from Pop falli to the category of 'Experience' as well as so many others that we're currently not hearing.

Much as I love them I'm bored of Vertigo, Elevation and Desire no matter how ther're mixed...

Why not some venue shaking Mofo or partying Discotheque???

WhennI look Around the World, Stand Up Comedey, California... To name just a few!!

Elevation was awesome. Singing that final EL-A-VA-TION of each chorus is like a tiny bit of heaven sent down for all of us to sing together.  It's one of my favorite parts of the show. I've been calling it a story. Others have used narrative which seems much more apropos. There is a definitive narrative to this show as it wraps up SOI and addresses what it happening in America.  I've been trying to figure out how Little Things and Landlady and Wild Horses could fit into the narrative.  I wanted to hear them all.  The show was so good it did not matter even though I really want to hear all three live.  Pride is the one song I least want to hear because I've heard it so many times.  It was one of the best parts of the show.  I too wanted to have a more varied setlist but the one they are doing works and it does so very well.  Acrobat is sensational.  I can't think of a word to describe how amazing it is live.  I'm just a fan saying this and giving my opinion.  If you are seeing the show in America-I doubt the setlist is going to change much.  Red Flag Day and Gloria and All Because Of You seem to be the three variables. I hope you have a great time.  It's a stunning show.  13 was so great it gives me goosebumps typing this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trouble is these days that we get to see the set list before we see the show, whereas 20 years ago we didn’t. So now people think the set list is boring before they start whereas in fact it isn’t boring and is a fantastic show. I remember thinking the innocence tour set list looked weak but wow was I wrong when we got there the way it all entwined together. Just hope I get to see Red Flag Day and Gloria at the London gigs. Finger crossed. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/16/2018 at 2:20 AM, Manohlive said:

Elevation was awesome. Singing that final EL-A-VA-TION of each chorus is like a tiny bit of heaven sent down for all of us to sing together.  It's one of my favorite parts of the show. I've been calling it a story. Others have used narrative which seems much more apropos. There is a definitive narrative to this show as it wraps up SOI and addresses what it happening in America.  I've been trying to figure out how Little Things and Landlady and Wild Horses could fit into the narrative.  I wanted to hear them all.  The show was so good it did not matter even though I really want to hear all three live.  Pride is the one song I least want to hear because I've heard it so many times.  It was one of the best parts of the show.  I too wanted to have a more varied setlist but the one they are doing works and it does so very well.  Acrobat is sensational.  I can't think of a word to describe how amazing it is live.  I'm just a fan saying this and giving my opinion.  If you are seeing the show in America-I doubt the setlist is going to change much.  Red Flag Day and Gloria and All Because Of You seem to be the three variables. I hope you have a great time.  It's a stunning show.  13 was so great it gives me goosebumps typing this.

 

On 6/16/2018 at 3:49 AM, KEV ANGELL said:

Trouble is these days that we get to see the set list before we see the show, whereas 20 years ago we didn’t. So now people think the set list is boring before they start whereas in fact it isn’t boring and is a fantastic show. I remember thinking the innocence tour set list looked weak but wow was I wrong when we got there the way it all entwined together. Just hope I get to see Red Flag Day and Gloria at the London gigs. Finger crossed. 

Well said. "Gloria" will (IMHO) stay in the setlists for sure. I would also be confident that "Red Flag Day" will be played. I also strongly agree with Manohlive that "Pride" is, quite surprisingly, a real highlight on this tour, and I said as much in my review of the Philadelphia shows.

What struck me about the setlist so far is how well thought out it is - the flow from one song to the next is brilliant. Just as I think that SOE is one of the best cohesive wholes they have ever made, I feel that E&I is the same for the live shows. The last tour, if I'm divining the thinking of the band properly, was to set up this tour - the last tour (I&E) was more snapshots, so to speak, of their growing up in Dublin; this tour, is them now as more mature people and taking a longer view - not just isolated moments, but the scope of one's whole life. To use an old-fashioned word to describe it, this show is "heavy" - not in a negative sense, but the fact that it is deep. They have a strong message this time (if you wanted a more light-hearted show, you're right - this isn't it). However, that doesn't mean it isn't fun - I had lots of fun and did lots of thinking at the shows I've seen so far (best of both worlds, really). The current state of America also is informing the show - how could it not? U2 cares about such things, and these times are not like any other.

I also love that they are doing something on E&I that, if I am remembering setlists properly over the many years, that they haven't done since AB/ZooTV - the shows start with the first song or two from the beginning of the album and they end with the last song or two from the album. That's high praise, i.e., that the band is treating SOE like AB. I like the equation - those two albums are among their very best (IMHO) from start to finish over the course of their whole career.

Variety is there too over the whole tour, e.g., at the Uniondale show, they played "The Electric Co." - that means, at that show, there were three songs from "Boy" in the set - when was the last time that happened? Recently, they seem to be alternating between "Gloria" and "All Because Of You" after "I Will Follow" - they're not doing that to disappoint people; they're doing that because they think the set fits the message they want to convey best with those two songs right now. The Edge said recently that this tour was a thank you for the long-term fans, i.e., the ones that appreciate the thinking that they have always shown in their song selection live. All I can say is thank you to them for their thank you - it's a very good one.

Edited by dmway
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, dmway said:

I also love that they are doing something on E&I that, if I am remembering setlists properly over the many years, that they haven't done since AB/ZooTV - the shows start with the first song or two from the beginning of the album and they end with the last song or two from the album. That's high praise, i.e., that the band is treating SOE like AB. I like the equation - those two albums are among their very best (IMHO) from start to finish over the course of their whole career.

I had not thought of that.  This is a heavy/complicated show.  Scary Macphisto is still bothering me.  Like Mich40 said-that part where he says when you forget about me is when I do my best work-or something like that-is downright spooky. It is still bothering me every single time I watch or read the news of what is happening in America.  There is a lot going on with this show-much more than I realized until I had time to think about it.  I had not thought of the AB comment you made.  Usually concerts come and go and I ride the high of seeing a great concert. This show made me think.  It's still making me think about what this or that meant.  It was not until Max made a comment about Staring at the Sun transitioning into Pride that I realized that's what Staring was about.  It's been a few weeks since Chicago.  I still catch myself thinking about this show because of what it said-not just the music.  I don't recall any other concert doing that to me.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2018 at 11:11 PM, Manohlive said:

This American would love to see Robbie Williams do an unplugged show.  

Are you a TT fan too Mano?

91AF0CEE-3455-448C-8E24-B723846AEE6F.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2018 at 10:16 AM, doctornickriviera said:

Are you a TT fan too Mano?

91AF0CEE-3455-448C-8E24-B723846AEE6F.jpeg

LOL.   No.  That picture is so bad it's hilarious.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that was an excellent article - perfect in fact

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, katiemai said:

that was an excellent article - perfect in fact

 

It is a very good article.  I could not remember it so I scrolled d up and saw the Take That pic above your post. Not even light filtering glasses can diminish the lighting behind that image from burning holes in my head.  haha  The guy in the middle of the pic better be hoping that's mithril steel if he's not already a soprano.  😳    

I liked the part where Adam talks about COBL taking on a new dimension and mentioned Streets. 

Edited by Manohlive
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2018 at 11:37 PM, dmway said:

What struck me about the setlist so far is how well thought out it is - the flow from one song to the next is brilliant.

I'm noticing this more and more as I listen to the live shows.  I hope you had a great time at the show earlier this evening. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Manohlive said:

It is a very good article.  I could not remember it so I scrolled d up and saw the Take That pic above your post. Not even light filtering glasses can diminish the lighting behind that image from burning holes in my head.  haha  The guy in the middle of the pic better be hoping that's mithril steel if he's not already a soprano.  😳    

I liked the part where Adam talks about COBL taking on a new dimension and mentioned Streets. 

Agreed; The COBL for Streets was a good substitue, esp in NYC, and it filled that place for me; i also liked the part where the two of them talked about finding common ground and appealing to the better nature of everyone - so much for those who think it's "too political"!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, katiemai said:

Agreed; The COBL for Streets was a good substitue, esp in NYC, and it filled that place for me; i also liked the part where the two of them talked about finding common ground and appealing to the better nature of everyone - so much for those who think it's "too political"!

I say nothing that others have not already said with the following:  Too political yet it's common sense.  Politics divide.  I'm tired of it.  One rushes in only to be swept out by the other.  The same fucking song keeps skipping and skipping; no matter which direction the vinyl spins.  

I am stealing a bit from Del Amitri so props to that band and song.  I still listen to Nothing Ever Happens on a regular basis.  It's had a huge impact on my life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goodbye America, hello the not so united states of Europe lol - in a few weeks. I can't be arsed with the political references anymore - since 'FUCK THE REVOLUTION' after the Enniskillen bombing in 1987, I doubt they'll ever reach those dizzy heights of justified abhorrence again.

U2 is about the music. I'm liking the set lists thus far, if not loving them - hoping for some minor changes, but dont expect wholesale anymore. It's a production these days.

Give the band credit though - still touring, original line up - that is magnificent.

 

Turn the lights on Willie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder what whether the storytelling/thematic/political element will change a bit in Europe. I wouldn't be surprised if Macphisto had some choice words about Brexit at shows on the continent, although I guess in the UK where it's obviously a more sensitive and divisive issue they'd refer more to things happening in America as they did in Canada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, peterferris8 said:

I wonder what whether the storytelling/thematic/political element will change a bit in Europe. I wouldn't be surprised if Macphisto had some choice words about Brexit at shows on the continent, although I guess in the UK where it's obviously a more sensitive and divisive issue they'd refer more to things happening in America as they did in Canada.

U2 have never hidden behind their beliefs, they have always said and done what they think sometimes for the best and sometimes not. Doubt Macphisto will hold back on Brexit if he doesn’t like it 🙈

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2018 at 12:11 AM, Manohlive said:

This American would love to see Robbie Williams do an unplugged show.  


Do you know him? Because he's not famous in America...
Anyway, he's a big fan of U2, for the record. :)

Interesting point about COBL by Adam :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, seresere said:


Do you know him? Because he's not famous in America...
Anyway, he's a big fan of U2, for the record. :)

Interesting point about COBL by Adam :rolleyes:

Yes, I do know him.  MTV played Angels for a week and not often.  I luckily saw it and have been a fan ever since.  Feel is one of my favorite tunes.  Kids with Kylie ain't bad either.  I am very fond of his music.   thanks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, KEV ANGELL said:

Doubt Macphisto will hold back on Brexit if he doesn’t like it 🙈

Very good point.  Now you guys get the tour.  I am excited to see how they change the story accordingly. 

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that the tour has left America:  SOE in America...Not once, to my knowledge, did my president rant on twitter, a podium or camera and attempt to squash U2/Bono/scary Mac Phisto with words.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

Yes, I do know him.  MTV played Angels for a week and not often.  I luckily saw it and have been a fan ever since.  Feel is one of my favorite tunes.  Kids with Kylie ain't bad either.  I am very fond of his music.   thanks.


Interesting! I like him, especially as male solo artist.

Back IT, :P

I don't know if this has been already posted before :rolleyes:, anyway

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/goss/674717/Bono-Robbie-WIlliams-Wired-saved-from-ego-Miley-Cyrus-The-Jonas-Brothers-Jess-Glynne

I love The Showman even more :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Now that the tour has left America:  SOE in America...Not once, to my knowledge, did my president rant on twitter, a podium or camera and attempt to squash U2/Bono/scary Mac Phisto with words.  

He was too busy making sure Sessions was separating parents and children at the border and putting the kids in cages. :rolleyes:

More seriously, though, he has quite a bit dividing what little attention span he has. He also didn't say anything last summer when the criticism of him was much more pointed via that movie clip they found - that still makes me laugh! :lol: It's from a real movie too:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trackdown-trump-character-wall/

 

Back on topic: SOE is the brightest gem of 2017 and 2018. B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think he's a wimp and knew Bono would have a field day with him, so he avoided commenting on any of it.  One does not criticize Donald Trump without notice.  This is about U2 and not Donald Trump.  For me, it's very interesting Trump did not criticize Bono or U2.  At the shows, Bono talks about both sides coming together.  It's tough to argue with a white flag..

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2018 at 6:11 PM, Manohlive said:

This American would love to see Robbie Williams do an unplugged show.  

When I was living in England, I did get to appreciate his music a bit. I liked him better solo than with Take That too.

However, I do wish he would not jeopardize Mr. Page's house. I know The Edge, his buddy from "It Might Get Loud", wouldn't like it either.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/jul/08/stairway-to-heaven-jimmy-page-castle-is-his-home-led-zeppelin

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dmway said:

Back on topic: SOE is the brightest gem of 2017 and 2018. B)

I was talking about Bono's ability with words being no match for the other person.  Nothing more was intended.  It was a salute to Bono's writing. Mich40 said something in a live thread about his ability to do this, even when people don't agree with him.  I am paraphrasing it. 

The whole SOE experience had much more of an impact on me than I expected. I've never analyzed a show as much as this one.  I have two questions about the lyrics of SOE:  The Best Thing that ever 'happened a boy'.  Is this a figure of speech with which I'm not familiar?  I'd never heard it before.  I love the witty rhythm of those three words.  Lights of Home...what the hell, what the hell you got for me?...is a very provocative flip.  It kinda freaks me out and frightens me.  It reminds me to keep my eye on the ball. I can't even sing those words.  I have to change them.  (just me)  I understand how he flips them.  I don't quite understand how he pulls it off so well.  It's why I admire him as a writer.  Why do you think he did this?  Of what is he speaking?  Greed?  It seems a very complicated line.  For me, it has shades of Until The End of the World in addressing, questioning and challennging a higher power.  How does it fit into the narrative of the whole?  I'm still trying to figure out lyrics I heard seven moths ago.  I also first now realized that it is 50 years since our summer of love.  It's given that song new meaning.  I still don't know what Red Flag Day is about and I don't care.  No disrespect.  Hopefully I'll figure it out.  I love that guitar and Bono singing-I love Larry and Adam on that song.  I have not gotten past the music to the lyrical content.  I don't intend on that happening any time soon because I love that music. SOE is definitely my favorite album of 2017..  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.