hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

43 minutes ago, dmway said:

There is also an excellent article about Madaleine Albright on the same page to which this link leads.  I have always loved her and think she is a hero.  II's easy to forget how much trailblazing she has accomplished and how much wisdom she possesses.  It's also quite apropos to what U2 is saying with SOE.  Great article.  I only got through two paragraphs of the Jimmy Page's house story, dmway.  I saw the one on Albright and could not resist.  I'll read the one you reference when I can give it more attention. Thanks.  I'm donating to The Guardian.  I click a link posted in these threads and end up reading several articles on the page to which the link leads.  I can't wait to read her new book.  It sounds very interesting and timely. .

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

The whole SOE experience had much more of an impact on me than I expected. I've never analyzed a show as much as this one.  I have two questions about the lyrics of SOE:  The Best Thing that ever 'happened a boy'.  Is this a figure of speech with which I'm not familiar?  I'd never heard it before.  I love the witty rhythm of those three words.  Lights of Home...what the hell, what the hell you got for me?...is a very provocative flip.  It kinda freaks me out and frightens me.  It reminds me to keep my eye on the ball. I can't even sing those words.  I have to change them.  (just me)  I understand how he flips them.  I don't quite understand how he pulls it off so well.  It's why I admire him as a writer.  Why do you think he did this?  Of what is he speaking?  Greed?  It seems a very complicated line.  For me, it has shades of Until The End of the World in addressing, questioning and challenging a higher power.  How does it fit into the narrative of the whole?  I'm still trying to figure out lyrics I heard seven months ago.

The “happened a boy” bit I think is pretty straightforward - “happened to a boy” wouldn’t have fit the rhythm of the song, so he just left out “to”. I think he has done this before, i.e., left out a word so as not to affect the flow of the lyrics with the music.

I also have a definite opinion on the second too. However, I wouldn’t feel right posting it on this thread yet. You, IMHO, are barking up the right tree with what you wrote.

So it is not an Irish or other figure of speech?  I  think it's very clever.  It's also, for me, a major hook of the song.  He could sing the best thing that happened to a boy and it be rhythmic.  He did not.  I want to know why. I would like to know what prompted it.  I love it.

I didn't notice any fault with "happened a boy," until it was pointed out to me. It still sounds fine to me so perhaps dropping a word here or there is a common Irish speech pattern that we pay no mind to.

I'm more concerned with the lyric from "New York," on ATYCLB:

"Hot as a handbag in a can of mace."

It keeps me awake at night.

17 hours ago, KEV ANGELL said:

U2 have never hidden behind their beliefs, they have always said and done what they think sometimes for the best and sometimes not. Doubt Macphisto will hold back on Brexit if he doesn’t like it 🙈

To be fair I don't like it either, and I think if the referendum were carried out today the country would overwhelmingly vote to remain. If he does say anything about it I'll be cheering very, very loudly.

5 hours ago, CorkVegan said:

I didn't notice any fault with "happened a boy," until it was pointed out to me. It still sounds fine to me so perhaps dropping a word here or there is a common Irish speech pattern that we pay no mind to.

I'm more concerned with the lyric from "New York," on ATYCLB:

"Hot as a handbag in a can of mace."

It keeps me awake at night.

That is indeed a weird lyric. It almost looks like an intentional inversion of "hot as a can of mace in a handbag" except why would such a can be described as "hot"?

I just looked at the "official" lyrics here on the site, and they give that line as "hot as a handbag and a can of mace" - that's a little better, but still a bit strange.

https://www.u2.com/lyrics/92

Not exactly related to SOE being a gem but it is related to the EI tour which is also a gem and does relate to SOE being a gem...the MacPhisto filter Bono uses before Acrobat is available on the Facebook IOS app! 

F2A15264-526F-4624-BC43-3D5AAB3A201E.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Brilliant 1

20 minutes ago, peterferris8 said:

Not exactly related to SOE being a gem but it is related to the EI tour which is also a gem and does relate to SOE being a gem...the MacPhisto filter Bono uses before Acrobat is available on the Facebook IOS app! 

F2A15264-526F-4624-BC43-3D5AAB3A201E.jpg

Since @Canadanne has a MacPhisto website, I hope she knows about this! :MacphistoSignal:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dmway said:

Since @Canadanne has a MacPhisto website, I hope she knows about this! :MacphistoSignal:

I have seen it, yes.... can't say I'm a big fan of random people wearing MacPhisto's face, but hopefully it's "just a bit of fun" and they're not planning to do anything with these....

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

That's cool! :D But... :rolleyes: There's only one MacPhisto! B):MacphistoSignal: Do you know what I mean? ;)

Anyway,
Today one year ago I was in Rome for The Joshua Tree Tour :JT2017_Screen: and I was thinking about The Little Things That Give You Away. This beautiful song of SoE is strongly related to that night for me! Great memories :wub:

Edited by seresere
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I'm still wondering why no Little Things live this tour.  The show is so complex that I cannot figure out if it would have worked or not.  I'm anxious to see if they do it in Europe.  We got Red Flag Day in Chicago.  SOI-final night of Chicago-they did Gloria and Bad and the full version of 40; not just the How Long? part.  It's hard to feel sorry we did not get Little Things after what I just listed.  It's such a beautiful song and then Landlady...yow.    I have started to listen to SOE from start to finish again.  I was hitting this song or that one and skipping some.  It's nice to listen to it as a whole again now that it's been a while. I've also been listening to SOE and the new Snow Patrol album together.  It was an accident doing playlists.  Somehow they both got on one.  I like how they blend together and shuffled.  It also brings back memories of seeing Snow Patrol open for U2 on the 360 tour.    Great memories indeed.

Edited by Manohlive

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

I'm still wondering why no Little Things live this tour.  The show is so complex that I cannot figure out if it would have worked or not.  I'm anxious to see if they do it in Europe.  We got Red Flag Day in Chicago.  SOI-final night of Chicago-they did Gloria and Bad and the full version of 40; not just the How Long? part.  It's hard to feel sorry we did not get Little Things after what I just listed.  It's such a beautiful song and then Landlady...yow.    I have started to listen to SOE from start to finish again.  I was hitting this song or that one and skipping some.  It's nice to listen to it as a whole again now that it's been a while. I've also been listening to SOE and the new Snow Patrol album together.  It was an accident doing playlists.  Somehow they both got on one.  I like how they blend together and shuffled.  It also brings back memories of seeing Snow Patrol open for U2 on the 360 tour.    Great memories indeed.

I'm wondering if they played TLTTGYA during the JT anniversary shows having already decided that they weren't going to play it on the SOE tour - i.e., they thought so highly of the song, despite not including it in the later tour's setlist, that they wanted to give it public airing in advance of the album's release. That's my best guess...

I am so grateful for the Apollo show as it was the only time I heard it live among the shows I attended this past June/July.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 1:30 PM, dmway said:

That is indeed a weird lyric. It almost looks like an intentional inversion of "hot as a can of mace in a handbag" except why would such a can be described as "hot"?

I just looked at the "official" lyrics here on the site, and they give that line as "hot as a handbag and a can of mace" - that's a little better, but still a bit strange.

https://www.u2.com/lyrics/92

Well, I believe that ‘mace cans’ ( a spray for self protection) actually contain hot pepper spray- it causes a burning sensation on the perpetrator’s skin or eyes but doesn’t cause permanent injury- (if it’s removed with water in a timely way).  ‘Sorry if if I sound know-it-all-ish...   I hate know-it-all’s!!!!!

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, hillpy2 said:

Well, I believe that ‘mace cans’ ( a spray for self protection) actually contain hot pepper spray- it causes a burning sensation on the perpetrator’s skin or eyes but doesn’t cause permanent injury- (if it’s removed with water in a timely way).  ‘Sorry if if I sound know-it-all-ish...   I hate know-it-all’s!!!!!

Oh, of course - that’s what it means! 😄

No - thank you for explaining that! Sometimes an explanation seems obvious once it’s explained. I was taking the lyric too literally, and Bono was using his artistic license to express how hot mace is once it is used (the can itself isn’t hot, obviously).

NOW the lyric makes sense! 😄

Get Out Of. Your Own Way..   has really grown on me over the past few months.   It's now one of my first SOE go to songs.

The line about the master's looking for someone how needs him.   Got new insight, thanks to MacPhisto.

It could be man or God or the devil who's looking.  It seems to me that it's all three.  I had not thought of the latter until MacPhisto reminded me about not forgetting.  It just dawned on me last night when I was thinking about the shows and what they meant. 

I gave SOE a break, for the most part, until the next leg of the tour.  I've never been more excited for a new leg of a tour when it was not on my own continent.  I was happy for people.  This time around I'll be listening in the live threads.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2018 at 3:30 AM, Manohlive said:

Get Out Of. Your Own Way..   has really grown on me over the past few months.   It's now one of my first SOE go to songs.

Yes - I really like that song too; the concerts made me appreciate it more. It's Beautiful Day's first cousin, to be sure, but live it works better, and "American Soul" as well, which was really outstanding live.

It's funny - even after I saw all of my shows recently, one of the first CDs I would play in the car was SOE! :D It has staying power.

Get out of your Own Way was always one of my favourite album tracks since release. Just never seems to be the same quality on the live clips I've seen - but live clips in a digital format rarely wholly replicate the ' I was there' moment. I love 'American Soul' segway too on the album. I hope they do it justice

All I can say is, the band playing live has always been an event in my life that has never disappointed since being 19 in 1987 at Croke park.

I'll be 50 in Belfast come this October. If that sounds scary to me, imagine how the band feel!😄

4 hours ago, yardie said:

Get out of your Own Way was always one of my favourite album tracks since release. Just never seems to be the same quality on the live clips I've seen - but live clips in a digital format rarely wholly replicate the ' I was there' moment. I love 'American Soul' segway too on the album. I hope they do it justice

All I can say is, the band playing live has always been an event in my life that has never disappointed since being 19 in 1987 at Croke park.

I'll be 50 in Belfast come this October. If that sounds scary to me, imagine how the band feel!😄

It was awesome live, yardie.  I doubt you'll be disappointed.  I turned 56 two weeks ago.  50?  You're just a pup, so don't sweat it.  You are 50 in Belfast and it's October?  Not gonna touch that...

• Like 1

Can't wait for Manchester:u2-1383:and am still playing Songs of Experience and Songs of Innocence on heavy rotation

Posted (edited)
On 8/2/2018 at 4:39 PM, joshthetree said:

an't wait for Manchester:u2-1383:and am still playing Songs of Experience and Songs of Innocence on heavy rotation

I just started incorporating SOI into SOE as a listening experience.  It's in reverse.  It's cool for me because it was unintended. I'm not going to any shows by y'all but I'm already quite excited for opening night on the other side of the Atlantic.

Edited by Manohlive

Posted (edited)

I've been trying to tie what Bono said about going from innocence to experience...losing one while gaining another...getting some back again....I've been trying to tie this into my life.  I finally found it all linked. I want to mention it:  Whoopi Goldberg introduces Looney Tunes' DVD sets.  She speaks of the racism contained in them. She mentions one's need to to put these cartoons into their proper time and place.  She clearly states they are no longer intended for childrens' viewing.  They are for adults..

I loved Looney Tunes, as a child.  They became racist.  It took a while,  however; Whoopi Goldberg's introduction to the box sets gave me the ability to watch them as I did when I was a child.  It's all good again.

It's a life long IE and EI for me.  This tour is amazing.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

I'm finally watching the EI show again.  It's the multicam show from San Jose.  I had never seen much of the visuals as I was watching them play.  I never saw the intermission because I need to pee for both shows in Chicago.  The intermission-where the quote says, 'Deaf to advice, our lads seek further wisdom', is quite funny.  It's also humble but cocky.  I love it.  Everyone else probably saw it.  I did not.  It came at a much needed time.  I'm probably screwing up the quote so pardon me.  Time to go back to the second half and scream of a mole digging in a hole.

It's definitive-this is my favorite U2 tour.  It's extremely well written, imho.    Yow.   Excavation!

Listened to SOE for the first time in a while last night. For some reason even the tracks from the album I wasn't keen on (The Best Thing, RFD, Showman) have gone up in my estimation; I found myself singing along to every single song on the album. And obviously The Little Things is still a diamond. 

Also, has anyone seen the rehearsal setlist from last night in Berlin? There's a couple of particular things about it that are very interesting.

• Like 1

This is certainly a life changing music for me. I can't really explain why. I'm kind of having the SOI experience with looking back on my life, kind of a present future trajectory with SOE. 

In general ...like maybe an emotional rollercoaster can be fun..

• Like 1