hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

On 2-12-2017 at 4:27 AM, Grace12 said:

SOI only spoke to me after I saw the production live. The only song I connected with was Iris.  Then after the concert  I couldn't put CD away. It was a story & so well conveyed. I think this  will be the same if your not connecting to it yet. Btw I hope they never sound like Coldplay. Would break my heart.

Maybe you should listen to the last coldplay cd, they sound like a boyband too now. And  I loved coldplay in the past. But it is the production of the sound that makes this cd sound so horrible. U2 played some of these songs very well live. The producers messed this cd up. Too many different producers. Daniel Lanois produced Fire, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, All that you cant leave behind, No Line on the Horizon. I love all those cd's. Songs of Innocence didnt blend well either but I loved the songs in the end and I thought Songs of Innocence was a brave move. Because it had no real pop hits on it. But this new cd should have been called POP. And that I mean in the most negative way. Get Lanois back. Get Larry's drums back. Adam's bass back. Edge's guitar back. I miss them on this overproduced cd. U2 is supposed to be a rock band not a boyband.

Edited by bettydalton

For me, this is a solid album. This is 2017 and I don't expect U2 matching glory days of JT, AB, etc. and thats ok with me.  As I said before, Bruce will never make another "Born to Run", Stones will never make another "Exile", etc.  U2 has made mistakes in their 40 year history (R&H movie, Releasing POP prematurely which is still a great album, and lets not forget the free upload of SOI to iTunes disaster) but they always seem to learn from them.  This album proves it in my opinion.  

Edited by edgebenson

4 hours ago, doppers said:

Just listen to Lights of Home, American Soul, the Showman ("You look so good" - oh please🙄), Landlady, The Blackout, they would struggle to get onto any other album including even October, Pop and NLOTH.  Even the stronger tracks are weak enough.  When they finally just do greatest hits tours, there will be precious little from 2017 on it.

they hid disappointing sales of SOI by the apple wheeze but wait to see how low this will be. The tide has gone out and they are left with only Hewson's vast ego to cover their modesty..

Doppers...

One aspect of your commentary that I find endearing, is addressing Bono by his birth name, not stage name. Are you being deliberate about that, or is it all subconscious?

Maybe you find "Hewson" more real....and wish he would detach from his showman/Bono alter ego?

You know....I feel Bono or Paul Hewson struggles with this as well....Separating the man from the performer or "showman"

I validate your observations on some levels....But U2 has produced some amazing songs in this last decade and 1/2.....really. Think about that....but, I know art is very subjective/personal....and what resonates with the 'individual'.  October was actually "musically" very creative in sound and rich with fragile  and spiritual emotion. Bono's lyrics/music were stolen off the bus and later returned.  The song October itself....is bare bones simplicity...but hauntingly beautiful/impactful......a U2 classic. Threw a brick threw a window has interesting guitar, drums......Tomorrow is lyrically beautiful and very Irish(about his mother/grandfather's death).

I agree SOE  seems to  have the U2 original/trademark sound but not  transformed by experimental, artistic insight. SOE is a very safe album.....nothing too avant garde, pioneering  or transcendent....like their work in the past.

Edited by unforgettableu2

10 hours ago, kinsa said:

The fact this band can still move me 30+ years later like they did when I was a teenager is to me, phenomenal. I absolutely love this album, rooftop to the basement.

Kinsa I am glad that you really love this cd. U2 fans are really passionate and I love that. U2 can still move me too, otherwise I wouldnt be here. But I get goosebumps when I see them live. Little to none goosebumps on this cd however for me. Listened to it 25 times front to end. 5 good songs. 3 or 4 could be much better performed live. That's 8 out of 13. Not good, not bad. U2 have become like the stones. Nobody expects greatness for a new cd but just as with the Stones once they perform live they always rock and shine like in the good old days.

Some of the songs on this cd have already been performed live. And I liked those songs in a live setting. But I cringe when I hear those same songs performed on this cd. Even Ordinary Love on the deluxe cd is screwed up with too much production. That song was great as original. And it was superb when I heard U2 play a live and acoustic version of Ordinary Love in Brazil!

Now U2 sounds like Coldplay on their latest cd, just like any other boyband. The songs still can be good, but the sound is so unlike what U2 have ever made before. In a bad way. Give me Daniel Lanois back as producer for the next cd.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, edgebenson said:

For me, this is a solid album. This is 2017 and I don't expect U2 matching glory days of JT, AB, etc. and thats ok with me.  As I said before, Bruce will never make another "Born to Run", Stones will never make another "Exile", etc.  U2 has made mistakes in their 40 year history (R&H movie, Releasing POP prematurely which is still a great album, and lets not forget the free upload of SOI to iTunes disaster) but they always seem to learn from them.  This album proves it in my opinion.  

I love Rattle and Hum....it was a ballsy Record.....Full of experimenting.....exploring.....and paying homage to the musical greats that paved the way for them....

I thought the gospel version of Still haven't found.....so extraordinary....breaking down racial barriers and giving credit to the origins of rock music.

All I want is You has got to be one of the most perfect songs ever written by U2. I Love risk taking U2....art for art sake......Rattle and hum was so punk rock....really. Pop was ahead of it's time.....sounds modern to this day. Mofo.....is an autobiography of Bono...torn between himself, God and his stage face/persona. These records seem more sincere.....true to themselves/vision.....

Now....they are trying to hard. Who cares if this current generation doesn't appreciate them....they should put on their punk rock pants and say f**k off....because nothing of this new musical generation will sustain a 40 year career, not even close. I believe U2 is the first of their kind.....they have outlasted any Rock band/star in history....

Stones are merited by name only.....not through reinventing themselves from pioneering Talent.

3 hours ago, badsilver said:

Oh the first time hearing the Fly? I thought they had lost their damn minds. Thank God for that! 

yes.....completely.....you bring me back to that moment of shock.....what the hell is this?

Genius.....as I slapped myself  a few weeks later for being so closed minded/ignorant.

9 hours ago, OB said:

No doubt, as far as I remember most U2 albums at first I wasn't impressed and then start to love them. On SOE few tracks I am just not sure.

That said, I agreed that we are blessed as fans on having U2 around after all these years making albums and having tours. I think they will be like the Rolling Stones touring until their late 70's. ;)

I agree they will be around until their bodies/mind submit to mortality.......but, I think u2 is the first of their kind....No other band has sustained a diverse musical palette and adaptation to the changing times than them. Stones have credibility/status by name only.....U2 has lasted 40 years by visionary talent alone.

28 minutes ago, unforgettableu2 said:

I love Rattle and Hum....it was a ballsy Record.....Full of experimenting.....exploring.....and paying homage to the musical greats that paved the way for them....

I thought the gospel version of Still haven't found.....so extraordinary....breaking down racial barriers and giving credit to the origins of rock music.

All I want is You has got to be one of the most perfect songs ever written by U2. I Love risk taking U2....art for art sake......Rattle and hum was so punk rock....really. Pop was ahead of it's time.....sounds modern to this day. Mofo.....is an autobiography of Bono...torn between himself, God and his stage face/persona. These records seem more sincere.....true to themselves/vision.....

Now....they are trying to hard. Who cares if this current generation doesn't appreciate them....they should put on their punk rock pants and say f**k off....because nothing of this new musical generation will sustain a 40 year career, not even close. I believe U2 is the first of their kind.....they have outlasted any Rock band/star in history....

Stones are merited by name only.....not through reinventing themselves from pioneering Talent.

I was referring to the movie.  I honestly love both the album and movie but it got panned.  

1 hour ago, edgebenson said:

I was referring to the movie.  I honestly love both the album and movie but it got panned.  

Oh, I apologize... & misunderstood.....

The movie panned....because it wasn't what the general population/fans anticipated it would be.....a personal insight/details into their lives.....

What Rattle n' Hum actually was....as Larry plainly said it....".it's a musical journey.".....or a autobiography about their journey into crafting, shaping and developing the U2 trademark sounds(ever evolving process)....

And.....then summarized this very idea again with Achtung Baby's  lyrical genius ,The Fly...."Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief
All kill their inspiration and sing about their grief"

19 minutes ago, angelofharlem4u2 said:

The R&H film had so many special moments:  When U2 visited the church in Harlem, collaborating with B.B. King, Bono's speech during SBS, the visit to Graceland.

yes.... the band exposed such wisdom & humility at their young ages within the 80's era.....

They revealed how open they were as artists....willing to explore and yet, had the wisdom to learn from other musicians who earned their esteemed status and paved the way for emerging talent.

The old is not forgotten.....because they are the pillars who shape/influence change in the present/future.

Hi Just wondering if anyone downloaded the deluxe version from ITunes? If yes did it download the full album to your ipod or just 16 of the 17 tracks listed. The full album shows up in my ITunes Library but only 16 show up on my Ipod (track 17 is missing). Should I just hook up my Ipod again and let it sync more one time?

I had a problem getting YTBTAM and the remix of it even downloading to my phone, but I'll give a shout-out to Apple's support technicians, because I've had similar problems before and they get it to work every single time. If you aren't able to get it to sync this time, hit them up.

Sometimes itunes will put a song under collaborations if the artist name contains a featured artist. I've recently seen this with Taylor Swift's new album (and I've seen it in the past). Try searching for the song name if you haven't tried that. 

2 hours ago, angelofharlem4u2 said:

The R&H film had so many special moments:  When U2 visited the church in Harlem, collaborating with B.B. King, Bono's speech during SBS, the visit to Graceland.

Heartland, and Edge sliding down the banks of the Mississippi on his arse. Nice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hollywoodswag said:

I had a problem getting YTBTAM and the remix of it even downloading to my phone, but I'll give a shout-out to Apple's support technicians, because I've had similar problems before and they get it to work every single time. If you aren't able to get it to sync this time, hit them up.

Thank you. Will try again tomorrow.

Finally had a chance to listen to the songs on my home stereo (sent kids to a birthday party).  Played it loud.  Heard all the intricacies of the layers of sounds, and the arrangements were obviously well thought out and refined and processed (in a good way) to the point U2 felt they had the right product.

Yesterday I initially thought it was just "good," now I think it's "great."  And I realize U2 could have thrown red meat to their fans and put out an album of songs that sounded like "City of Blinding Lights," "You're the best thing about me," or "Beautiful Day,"  but they are offering yet another imaginative perspective.  I think this album pushed me as a long time fan to be open to fresh new sounds and ideas.   

I still would have liked to have one or two more songs with stadium-rocking Edge riffs, but I'm sure we'll get that when we hear these songs live next year.

• Like 1

It’s not a ‘great’ album but it’s still a proper album that has all the elements flow together quite nicely.

Seems a bit similar to The Script in places.

An album that would play well at a dinner party.

Although I’m enjoying it there is a problem.

It’s ‘nice’ and ‘safe’ and there’s a lack of edge, in more ways than one.

There’s little risk taking despite powerful lyrics in places.

Listening tonight for the first time since my pre-order didn't arrive in time... still hasn't but couldn't wait any longer. I've not even finished it yet, and already it's the best thing I've heard since... maybe Achtung Baby! Wow... that is a bold statement! I'll commit by the end, I'm sure!  

Edited by mcmastermike77

2 minutes ago, mcmastermike77 said:

Listening tonight for the first time since my pre-order didn't arrive in time... still hasn't but couldn't wait any longer. I've not even finished it yet, and already it's the best thing I've heard since... maybe Achtung Baby! Wow... that is a bold statement! I'll commit by the end, I'm sure!  

Why....since Achtung Baby? which is a diamond....so you think SOE is a blue diamond in terms of  artistic merit and quality?

What is it about this album that you find to measure up against one of U2's greatest?

1 hour ago, globaltraveler said:

Finally had a chance to listen to the songs on my home stereo (sent kids to a birthday party).  Played it loud.  Heard all the intricacies of the layers of sounds, and the arrangements were obviously well thought out and refined and processed (in a good way) to the point U2 felt they had the right product.

Yesterday I initially thought it was just "good," now I think it's "great."  And I realize U2 could have thrown red meat to their fans and put out an album of songs that sounded like "City of Blinding Lights," "You're the best thing about me," or "Beautiful Day,"  but they are offering yet another imaginative perspective.  I think this album pushed me as a long time fan to be open to fresh new sounds and ideas.   

I still would have liked to have one or two more songs with stadium-rocking Edge riffs, but I'm sure we'll get that when we hear these songs live next year.

I agree with much of your commentary......but, as a long term u2 fan.......i'm still searching in this  musical journey with them................

searching.....and I know they got deep inside my veins when the hairs raise up and down my arms & spine......much like experiencing the presence of a spiritual entity....

I you intuitively know....feel it.....

Have I felt that with this album YET? 

Maybe....with Lights of Home and the little things that give you away. I love The blackout...it's arrangement/creative sound....and I do also like American soul for the same characteristics.

9 minutes ago, unforgettableu2 said:

Why....since Achtung Baby? which is a diamond....so you think SOE is a blue diamond in terms of  artistic merit and quality?

What is it about this album that you find to measure up against one of U2's greatest?

No, you're absolutely right. It's not the best thing since Achtung Baby! That's the beer, anticipation and the will for it to be the best album in the world talking. But excusing my excitement to join in with the celebration, which I've missed, I love the groove of the album and the uplifting energy. Previous comment redacted. (Still enjoying the album though and it could be the best since...)

8 minutes ago, mcmastermike77 said:

No, you're absolutely right. It's not the best thing since Achtung Baby! That's the beer, anticipation and the will for it to be the best album in the world talking. But excusing my excitement to join in with the celebration, which I've missed, I love the groove of the album and the uplifting energy. Previous comment redacted. (Still enjoying the album though and it could be the best since...)

I'm listening to the album as we type our little reviews......:)

U2 is  still magnificient.....no other band has reached me to this visceral level. 

Remember, they almost broke-up making achtung baby for creative differences....

Inspiration is a mysterious thing.....

All I know, Mike, as a creative person myself, there is no such thing as forced creativity......

Art speaks for itself when it comes from a genuine, primal place from the soul......

I think that is what we are talking about here.......right?????

2 minutes ago, unforgettableu2 said:

I'm listening to the album as we type our little reviews......:)

U2 is  still magnificient.....no other band has reached me to this visceral level. 

Remember, they almost broke-up making achtung baby for creative differences....

Inspiration is a mysterious thing.....

All I know, Mike, as a creative person myself, there is no such thing as forced creativity......

Art speaks for itself when it comes from a genuine, primal place from the soul......

I think that is what we are talking about here.......right?????

I competently agree. If it is TRUE then it must be right what ever the media. I feel this is a true album.