hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

1 minute ago, mcmastermike77 said:

I competently agree. If it is TRUE then it must be right what ever the media. I feel this is a true album. 

True.....it may be......

So what takes art to that next level?

I guess if we/they knew the secret....every album would be at the level of achtung Baby.....

Not replicating it's likeness...just it's extraordinary power/greatness.....

But you can't replicate anything that has been or happened in the past as everything is completely unique, even ,my opinion of this album and all past albums I have ever heard. I've just finished it for the first time and it's going on again. It's definitely better than the last two albums in my opinion upon first listen. Now I just have to convince myself it goes further into the back catalogue.   

3 hours ago, yardie said:

Heartland, and Edge sliding down the banks of the Mississippi on his arse. Nice.

Yes!!! my God.....Memphis Eve........(when eve was born).....

God I love the song "heartland"......thanks yardie for reminding me of that bewitching, sultry....beautifully written song. Bono's voice is prime.....bone chilling.

11 minutes ago, mcmastermike77 said:

But you can't replicate anything that has been or happened in the past as everything is completely unique, even ,my opinion of this album and all past albums I have ever heard. I've just finished it for the first time and it's going on again. It's definitely better than the last two albums in my opinion upon first listen. Now I just have to convince myself it goes further into the back catalogue.   

I agree, Mike.....

that's what I said, not replicate it's likeness....just it's artistic power to reach inside the collective soul of so many....is a accomplishment for any artist.

Every U2 album....is like giving birth to a new baby in the family. Different....but may have inherited some common DNA.

I haven't yet ranked this album....still too new.....for every U2 album evolves for me....and maybe even more valued/understood later in life when revisited.

I could cherry pick songs from the last decade and 1/2  and collaborate a amazing album maybe better than Achtung?.....wouldn't you agree?

Edited by unforgettableu2

2 minutes ago, unforgettableu2 said:

I agree, Mike.....

that's what I said, not replicate it's likeness....just it's artistic power to reach inside the collective soul of so many....is a accomplishment for any artist.

Every U2 album....is like giving birth to any baby in the family. Different....but may have inherited some common DNA.

I haven't yet ranked this album....still too new.....for every U2 album evolves for me....and maybe even more valued/understood later in life when revisited.

I could cherry pick songs from the decade and 1/2  and collaborate a amazing album maybe better than Achtung?.....wouldn't you agree?

Since you put it like that... let's have a think...?

13 songs that could be picked since AB that would be better than AB on an album if released now... including SOE...

Zooropa

Numb

Lemon

Stay

The First Time

... that's just off one album... Can't be done!! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mcmastermike77 said:

Since you put it like that... let's have a think...?

13 songs that could be picked since AB that would be better than AB on an album if released now... including SOE...

Zooropa

Numb

Lemon

Stay

The First Time

... that's just off one album... Can't be done!! 

exactly! Mike.....you read me......and all those songs are masterpieces.....stand alone blue, rare diamonds......what a accomplishment.... for U2.

why don't I add to your collection of jewels.....(going even farther back in time)

shadows and tall trees, October, drowning man, Bad, All I want is you, heartland, God part 2,  please, my blue room, mofo, in a little while, kite, moment of surrender,  sleep like a baby, the troubles.......

ECT....ECT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

3 minutes ago, unforgettableu2 said:

exactly! Mike.....you read me......and all those songs are masterpieces.....stand alone blue, rare diamonds......what a accomplishment.... for U2.

why don't I add to your collection of jewels.....(going even farther back in time)

shadows and tall trees, October, drowning man, Bad, All I want is you, heartland, God part 2,  please, my blue room, mofo, in a little while, kite, moment of surrender,  sleep like a baby, the troubles.......

ECT....ECT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Okay, Okay we're on the same page :).... Now, back to THIS album... will these songs stand up against any of the aforementioned in our previous conversation...? you'll have to give me at least a week, but I sincerely think there will be moments that do... Definitely not the Refu-Jesus line but others, certainly. Keep me posted! 

3 minutes ago, mcmastermike77 said:

Okay, Okay we're on the same page :).... Now, back to THIS album... will these songs stand up against any of the aforementioned in our previous conversation...? you'll have to give me at least a week, but I sincerely think there will be moments that do... Definitely not the Refu-Jesus line but others, certainly. Keep me posted! 

You know....at this point in time.....I'm going to say no.....but, I've modified my perspective in some previous albums....and ended up liking some of the songs or at least appreciating them.( to my shame, With or with out you)....it was so 'new' in sound comparing to u2's unforgettable, war, october, boy. It took me a while to get used to.....history speaks for itself. I was so ashamed of my narrow mindedness.....

But, this album is different than ''getting used to".......in sound/creative differences....

It lacks a edgy pulse.....or shall I dare say.....it is too commerical/white bread in spots. I've never equated U2 as mainstream....whitebread....or top 40.

They have a alternative mentality/sound....and even their most popular songs...sound a bit out of place on mainstream radio. Really.....u2's sound is unique to themselves...and hard to define.

I will give it more time....but, as a collective whole, despite some good songs on SOE, this is not a history maker. It's missing U2's seductive power of eliciting the soul...it's a combination of bono's lyrics, the music......

I'm not feeling drugged  or intoxicated by the music, like I usually do....

Maybe just a little buzzed off it's effects....

I’m going to stand by what I said, I think it’s a great album and it may not be better but I think it’s sitting with their stronger stuff of the last 20 years. Production wise, I’m loving the sonicness. I’m loving the melodies, especially the vocal parts on the chorus parts. I think there are elements of fun and seriousness that are juxtaposed cleverly. One of my favourite tracks from htdaab was fast cars... kind of similar to some of the expressions here. A bit like baby face on Zooropa. I’m going to enjoy listening to this and exploring it with a smile as opposed to a cynical frown! It is what it is. For me anyway...

29 minutes ago, mcmastermike77 said:

I’m going to stand by what I said, I think it’s a great album and it may not be better but I think it’s sitting with their stronger stuff of the last 20 years. Production wise, I’m loving the sonicness. I’m loving the melodies, especially the vocal parts on the chorus parts. I think there are elements of fun and seriousness that are juxtaposed cleverly. One of my favourite tracks from htdaab was fast cars... kind of similar to some of the expressions here. A bit like baby face on Zooropa. I’m going to enjoy listening to this and exploring it with a smile as opposed to a cynical frown! It is what it is. For me anyway...

I love the "sonicness" as well....U2 does that well....its a signature/trademark to their 'sound'. think back all the way to the atmospheric "october' album or even unforgettable. Pop is a underrated album....lyrically, too. I love your use of word "juxtaposition"...because that is how I perceive U2...one bi juxtaposition....or dichotomy....

HTDAAB.....what a album....Fast cars was the extra little acoustic number....catchy tune. I myself....thought the whole album was so cohesive....well crafted. I hate vertigo, though. my kids laugh at me.....why mom??? why?????

I loved.... sometimes you can't make it on your own, all because of you, ***crumbs from your table*****

baby face...hmm....like get on your boots?? same satire.....

Really.....the best satire of all...was discotheque...love that little silly but serious tune.....

With U2...there is more that meets the surface....layers....Bibical, political and personal message interwoven....many times in one single song.

I smile listening to this album, for sure....like i said....I got to give the wine a chance to breathe...to fully evaluate/appreciate the flavors and undertones....

• Like 1

Jesus wept!

It's all about the bass.:Zoo_Guitar:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, unforgettableu2 said:

Doppers...

One aspect of your commentary that I find endearing, is addressing Bono by his birth name, not stage name. Are you being deliberate about that, or is it all subconscious?

Maybe you find "Hewson" more real....and wish he would detach from his showman/Bono alter ego?

You know....I feel Bono or Paul Hewson struggles with this as well....Separating the man from the performer or "showman"

I validate your observations on some levels....But U2 has produced some amazing songs in this last decade and 1/2.....really. Think about that....but, I know art is very subjective/personal....and what resonates with the 'individual'.  October was actually "musically" very creative in sound and rich with fragile  and spiritual emotion. Bono's lyrics/music were stolen off the bus and later returned.  The song October itself....is bare bones simplicity...but hauntingly beautiful/impactful......a U2 classic. Threw a brick threw a window has interesting guitar, drums......Tomorrow is lyrically beautiful and very Irish(about his mother/grandfather's death).

I agree SOE  seems to  have the U2 original/trademark sound but not  transformed by experimental, artistic insight. SOE is a very safe album.....nothing too avant garde, pioneering  or transcendent....like their work in the past.

I think you are reading too much into the name. It is simply what I and my mates have always known him as although for a nickname he has also been referred to as "that arsehole" ??

i know all about October but my point was that it was the weak album between Boy and War.

It's funny but after SOI was released I met a journalist who had written a gushing review and told him that in 3/5 years there would only be 3 or 4 tracks that had stood the test of time. I met him earlier this year at a Joshua Tree concert and he reminded me of our conversation and told me how he now totally agreed.  He emailed me yesterday to say he doesn't reckon that SOE will even manage to have 3 or 4 tracks with longevity. He still wrote a great review though to ensure his ticket allocation!

Posted my early thoughts on the 'shaping up to be a gem' thread.

Edited by yardie

Crying now (briefly). 13 killing me, then shuffling to Landlady. This is an amazing album. So, so , so many levels ........................................every soul that left me, every heart that kept me.............

1 hour ago, doppers said:

I think you are reading too much into the name. It is simply what I and my mates have always known him as although for a nickname he has also been referred to as "that arsehole" ??

i know all about October but my point was that it was the weak album between Boy and War.

It's funny but after SOI was released I met a journalist who had written a gushing review and told him that in 3/5 years there would only be 3 or 4 tracks that had stood the test of time. I met him earlier this year at a Joshua Tree concert and he reminded me of our conversation and told me how he now totally agreed.  He emailed me yesterday to say he doesn't reckon that SOE will even manage to have 3 or 4 tracks with longevity. He still wrote a great review though to ensure his ticket allocation!

greetings again....Doppers....

Thank-you for your honesty and perspective......

So, why do you think Hewson is a arsehole? it seems to me it is the popular theme right now to hate on Bono/U2.(i'm not saying that is your objective)..

Why though? Please help me understand? I think Bono struggles as well.....sincerely.  Bono or even all the band members(even Clayton), seem pretty down to earth/normal, with very few issues like sex/drugs/excess/failed marriages/love children/groupies in comparison to almost ALL bands/musicians of past/present.

Bono's Ego? "All Showman."....as he even states.....to conceal his true vulnerabilities/insecurities....however, some sort of ego/self-importance has to be present to become a rockstar/celebrity. It's in fact a prerequisite !!!!!!!

Interesting about the journalist's reviews.....and hidden motivations.

You know....I never put much merit into what critics/reviews say,....for their exact motivations can't be trusted. I'll quote Bono: "what is in fashion is out of fashion"

what type of artistic endeavors were you anticipating or seems lacking in u2's recent work, that you resonated/connected to in the past?

site me examples.....with specific songs.....and we'll chat....:)

4 hours ago, mcmastermike77 said:

No, you're absolutely right. It's not the best thing since Achtung Baby! That's the beer, anticipation and the will for it to be the best album in the world talking. But excusing my excitement to join in with the celebration, which I've missed, I love the groove of the album and the uplifting energy. Previous comment redacted. (Still enjoying the album though and it could be the best since...)

Jumping in with "best since" HTDAAB. Why? Simple... I very much LIKED the past two albums but this one, unlike those, is constantly leaving songs behind in my head... And not just the singles/possible singles.  Atomic Bomb was the last to do that.  Love Is All We Have Left, Little Things, and especially 13 = Absolute brilliance. I'll happily rock out to The Blackout any day.... And The Showman is entirely unlike anything they've ever done before.  Weak spot? I'm not a big fan of the dance remix of Best Thing that made it to the deluxe album. That's it.  Sure time will tell if this take holds up... But for now the only albums I put ahead of the one are (In MY preferred order) AB, JT, HTDAAB, and ATYCLB. I like it THAT much.

39 minutes ago, danknapp said:

Jumping in with "best since" HTDAAB. Why? Simple... I very much LIKED the past two albums but this one, unlike those, is constantly leaving songs behind in my head... And not just the singles/possible singles.  Atomic Bomb was the last to do that.  Love Is All We Have Left, Little Things, and especially 13 = Absolute brilliance. I'll happily rock out to The Blackout any day.... And The Showman is entirely unlike anything they've ever done before.  Weak spot? I'm not a big fan of the dance remix of Best Thing that made it to the deluxe album. That's it.  Sure time will tell if this take holds up... But for now the only albums I put ahead of the one are (In MY preferred order) AB, JT, HTDAAB, and ATYCLB. I like it THAT much.

so interesting.....art is so incredibly subjective. Is there a right or wrong? What is truth.....or redeemed art or trash? These questions have always plagued me..

Especially with U2......who has always ranked the status as the best band in the world..... still selling out the biggest concert tour of all time/record....yet remains on the fringe.

Loved or hated.....No in-between...notice that?

The dichotomy of U2.....united.....but separate from the world. Sells arenas....yet feels intimate..like "you" the individual matters as much as the united whole.

I can't rank u2 albums......because  each has something to teach, reflect or profoundly inspire. Do I gravitate to certain albums....sure.....but, I find each album has  some amazing songs.

SOE i'm still getting to know, explore......unraveling the layers of sounds.....

I am not sure if it will make history or be just another u2 album with  a few great songs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, yardie said:

Heartland, and Edge sliding down the banks of the Mississippi on his arse. Nice.

Thumb a lift there Edge

On 12/1/2017 at 6:37 PM, Nawlins said:

The drums and bass on this album are BADASS. 

This ^^

23 hours ago, doppers said:

Have listened in the dark to 14 new albums on launch day (3 times before launch day actually!) and can safely say that this is appalling stuff. Lights of home for example is simply embarrassing. It is obvious that this is now just the band playing support to Hewson's egotistical writing.

After 38 years, am still happy to go to concerts but if this is all that they can now write, then keep it to greatest hits and forgotten gems. Stop the embarrassment! ?

17 hours ago, doppers said:

Just listen to Lights of Home, American Soul, the Showman ("You look so good" - oh please?), Landlady, The Blackout, they would struggle to get onto any other album including even October, Pop and NLOTH.  Even the stronger tracks are weak enough.  When they finally just do greatest hits tours, there will be precious little from 2017 on it.

they hid disappointing sales of SOI by the apple wheeze but wait to see how low this will be. The tide has gone out and they are left with only Hewson's vast ego to cover their modesty..

Pretty harsh coming from someone with only 3 posts.

7 hours ago, adrnik said:

It’s not a ‘great’ album but it’s still a proper album that has all the elements flow together quite nicely.

Seems a bit similar to The Script in places.

An album that would play well at a dinner party.

Yeah, The Blackout and American Soul would be great for a dinner party;)

35 minutes ago, malaboo said:

This ^^

Agree.  Especially on Day 2 of listening to the album.  Adam - man, you rock this album.

I'm in the middle of my initial listening to the CD - I'll wait for universal opinions about it until I've listened to it all the way through a few times.

BUT, did anyone else notice how much better "You're The Best Thing About Me" sounded on CD rather than the YouTube version? It actually rocked on the CD version!

I liked the YouTube version very much, but the proper CD version was extremely powerful! B)

(Of course, this comment blends nicely into my comments on the gift for this year - WAV files ALWAYS sound better than mp3s!)

More later - this is definitely a more upbeat album so far...

Edited by dmway

I am 49 years old and have followed U2 since the Boy album.

SOE is by far the weakest album they have ever made.

No mysterious athmosphere (eg song Unforgettable Fire, With or Without You, Heartland), no magical Edge guitar (eg song In God's Country, The Fly, ...), no vulnerable Bono singing (eg song Bad, Tomorrow, Walk to the Water,..).

U2 used to have something magical and mysterious. The magic has gone.

I cried when I heared the first 3 songs of The Joshua Tree album, I couln't sleep for days before a new album came out, but since the last magical album, Achtung Baby, it all went downhill. With this ugly creature as the latest result. 

Some people suggest to bring Lanois and Eno back, but even they have evolved and are not the same persons anymore as in the 80ties.

U2 will never be able to make albums like The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby again.

Just like Simple Minds will never repeat New Gold Dream, Depeche Mode will never repeat Violator / Songs of Faith and Devotion and The Cure will never repeat Disintegration, .. 

Some media suggested this looked like a goodbye album... I really hope it is! 

Edited by Tobybezeke