hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

9 minutes ago, mike7man said:

I do agree that "The Little Things" is OK.  Regarding SOI, do you mean "Cedarwood Road"?  (Cedars of Lebanon is from NLOTH).  I also agree that Iris, RBW, and CR are OK songs--but to me, they're just not particularly interesting musically (OK, I'll give Iris a little slack here).  And geez, SOI had awful tunes like California and Volcano.  Bottom line (for me)--SOI had a few terrible songs, a bunch of OK ones (which, however, lack distinction, so they don't do anything for me over time), and a few genuinely excellent ones.

Yeah I had to edit my post to say "Cedarwood Road" (must have had cedars on the brain).

I grew to like "Volcano" as a punkish tune, after not liking it at first.  I never could like "California" or "Joey Ramone", and was ambivalent regarding "Song for Someone" and even "Every Breaking Wave".

As an aside:  Regardless of the new songs performed in 2018, I think the entire U2 fan base would be satisfied just to hear "Acrobat" performed during the encore.

• Like 1

Also, I agree with someone who wrote that U2 should dispense with the big hits on this tour, and just play newer material from this decade, along with tracks from the past that "fit in", including album cuts that were not radio hits.  That's the kind of show I want to see next from U2, after being treated to the JT tour this year.  It will be difficult to play 22 songs with this approach, but I hope they give it a go, and do not try to accommodate the casual listener who wants to hear "One" and "With or Without You", which for us would be for the billionth time, and no longer special.

Edited by Rich T.
  • Like 1

Some of these comments are hard to read. Jaded is the word that comes to mind....

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Tobybezeke said:

I am 49 years old and have followed U2 since the Boy album.

SOE is by far the weakest album they have ever made.

No mysterious athmosphere (eg song Unforgettable Fire, With or Without You, Heartland), no magical Edge guitar (eg song In God's Country, The Fly, ...), no vulnerable Bono singing (eg song Bad, Tomorrow, Walk to the Water,..).

U2 used to have something magical and mysterious. The magic has gone.

I cried when I heared the first 3 songs of The Joshua Tree album, I couln't sleep for days before a new album came out, but since the last magical album, Achtung Baby, it all went downhill. With this ugly creature as the latest result. 

Some people suggest to bring Lanois and Eno back, but even they have evolved and are not the same persons anymore as in the 80ties.

U2 will never be able to make albums like The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby again.

Just like Simple Minds will never repeat New Gold Dream, Depeche Mode will never repeat Violator / Songs of Faith and Devotion and The Cure will never repeat Disintegration, .. 

Some media suggested this looked like a goodbye album... I really hope it is! 

Hope this is a goodbye album? Heresy! I have seen so many comments about SoE not sounding like "U2" with most comparisons referencing the older materials. There will not be another War, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby and nor should there be. Why do you think that U2 has been able to be as large as they are for as long as they have? Their music always changes, they always evolve. Some people hate it some people love it. Zooropa and Pop were a giant leap for alot of fans who prefer their older music. I personally love them. What band can make music in nearly any genera of rock (some blues and others) while making it their own? They still sell out concerts and win awards. They still rock your face off live. They still write good music. NLOTH had mixed reviews however it is great, yet it came out when bands like Imagine Dragons and Kings of Leon were getting big. That album reflects that. They can remain in the spot light by taking some modern flavor of the times and put the U2 spin on it. Pop, did the same for the 90s. Some albums stand out more than others, sure, and how to rank them is a matter of opinion as it is very subjective. I personally love all of the albums for their own reasons. They resonate with me because of a particular feeling they evoke or they become a soundtrack for a period of my life. To say one would hope they quit after SoE? That just doesn't make sense. They are not doing what most "classic" rock bands do when they become a tribute or release materials no one hears. They are still right up front making music that is up with the times. 

SoE for one has so much heart N soul. You want vulnerability, how about the way Bono recognizes his ego and also realizes he is mortal? Also, this has some of the best drums and bass lines that they have used in a while. So much momentum.

I can see what you were saying however the godobye album part just hit me wrong. We all have our opinions though and I can respect that.

--END RANT--

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Like many people here, U2's early albums were my soundtrack from adolescence to young adulthood. I grew up with War, TUF, TJT, AB. I bought Zooropa but it was "different" and I had evolved into other things. I don't think I even purchased Pop,  I tried to reignite my fandom with ATYCLB but like I said, I had moved on and for the rest of the 2000s, U2 wasn't even relevant to me, let alone my favorite band.

Flash forward to 2017. TJT tour was something that I could not miss. And of course the old hits drummed up a huge amount of nostalgia for me and I was lucky enough to see the show 4 times. But it did something more than that, it reinvigorated my interest in my old favorite band. I mostly stuck with the old stuff, but I started listening to SoI and found a few tracks there that I really enjoyed. I still haven't delved much further into their post-Pop catalog but here we are with the release of SoE and I have to say, I'm really, really enjoying the album. So take my opinion with a grain of salt but here's my thoughts after at least 10 listens maybe more:

Love is All We Have Left - interesting and dark, but I usually skip to the next song which is really the start of the album for me and probably my favorite track on the album. (7/10)

Lights of Home - love it, cannot wait to hear it live and I think the end of the song will be great to sing along to (10/10)

YTBTAM - I usually skip this song. It's not bad, I just think it's too much of a radio track. (6/10)

GOOYOW - Speaking of radio tracks, this one has really grown on me. I think this will be a fan favorite live. (8/10)

American Soul - Again, another song that will be great live, fans will love it. I like the chorus as a callback to Volcano, which I really liked (7/10 album, will be 8/10 live)

Summer of Love - jury still out for me on this one (5/10)

Red Flag Day - could have been on War, which is top 3 for me, enough said. (9/10)

The Showman - this song is strange and different and doesn't seem like a U2 song but I like it (7/10)

TLTTGYA - 3 way tie on this one for song of the album with Lights of Home and Love is Bigger, love the crescendo, feels like Bad for the 2000s. (10/10)

Landlady - like Summer of Love, I'm not sure how I feel about this one yet (5/10)

The Blackout - Good song, will be the Elevation/Vertigo/Beautiful Day of the tour, that being said I usually skip it (6/10)

LIBTAIIW - Love it. Anthemic. (10/10)

13 - slow burn, pretty song, nice call back to SFS, too slow for me when driving, so I usually skip to listen to my 2nd favorite song on the album (behind 1a, 1b, 1c lol) which is Book of Your Heart (6/10)

Book of Your Heart - great song, I love when it picks up in intensity and urgency (9/10)

Recap:

10/10 x4

9/10 x2

8/10 x2

7/10 x2

6/10 x3

5/10 x2

Several REALLY good songs a few average songs but no real duds for me. I could listen to this album from start to finish but I usually skip the radio tracks. But I think just like BD and Elevation, they will be great songs live.

I hope it continues to grow on the people that haven't found their groove with it yet.

• Like 1

I don’t want the album to be a farewell album, if for no other reason than I want the band to go out on a high note, which this album is not.

I also know that U2’s sound changes from time to time to suit what’s going on or explore new territory, but the SOI/SOE style is the first time I think it didn’t really work out for them. The stand-out tracks from both albums would likely have been forgotten if they were on albums with some of the more notable hits. Slap Vertigo onto SOE and The Blackout would have been the nickname for the other 12 tracks on the album. ;)

I kid, I kid. I just think that every album had at least one legendary song (maybe not NLOTH quite so much in the eyes of most, although I think Unknown Caller is fantastic and the album itself one of the most consistently good ones in their entire catalogue), and while I enjoy a few from SOI and SOE (Summer of Love is the latest from SOE to grow on me), I just don’t think that, in an overall sense, they really delivered the goods on the sonic front. The rhythm section really brings the thunder, and I like a lot of the lyrics from both albums even in spite of some of my earlier qualms, but I just feel like the vocal and guitar styles are more pop than rock in the wrong ways.

How did this all turn into a goodbye album? . No one can perform or write or bleed for you like they did in their 20s and 30s. This is their experience album - not their I'm hungry and have a hell of a lot to say album of their 20s. 

Edited by badsilver
I'm wordy

On 11/21/2017 at 1:38 PM, yardie said:

Who recalls the first time they heard 'The Fly' as a first release off AB? Raised eyebrows? Always with U2, it wouldn't be the same U2 if they didn't pose the questions

I do, yardie.  I saw the video and still have goosebumps just typing this and thinking about it.  Oh my gosh, was I excited.  They sounded different.  They looked different.  That guitar and the rhythm and then Bono....

WOW.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Synj said:

I mostly stuck with the old stuff, but I started listening to SoI and found a few tracks there that I really enjoyed. I still haven't delved much further into their post-Pop catalog

You did not like Zooropa?   You did NOT buy Pop??????????    That's blasphemy!!!!   j/k    What should we do....banish her or make her sign up for a verified fan due to a non purchase of Pop?   I say the latter!   

I'm just joking, of course.  I loved Zooropa.  I still do.  I still want to hear Dirty Day and Daddy's Gonna Pay live more than I can express.  Now that you are back into the band...you may want to delve into their post Pop (AND POP) material for another listen.  They've put out a lot of great stuff.  You may have been over them at the time and hear the music quite differently now that you are back into U2. Please is an amazing song and it's on Pop.  I would suggest watching the video and listening to it.  That song is as applicable today as it was back in the day.  SOI is one of my favorite of their cds.  I have not listened to SOE enough to voice my opinion quite yet.

I too committed blasphemy.  I've had a bad cold/flu bug.  I fell asleep listening to SOE, a new U2 cd, for the FIRST time.  My first listen and I zonked.  Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.  I'm sticking myself with my Pop pins, which I bought at the Pop show.  I've lost a fair amount of blood hoping I can be allowed back into the, 'U2 is the greatest band ever', club after committing such a heinous offense.

Edited by Manohlive

2 hours ago, badsilver said:

How did this all turn into a goodbye album? . No one can perform or write or bleed for you like they did in their 20s and 30s. This is their experience album - not their I'm hungry and have a hell of a lot to say album of their 20s. 

I concur.  It's also a very political album.  I love, love, love that you call it an album and not a download or something of the sort.

5 hours ago, omnivox said:

U2 will never be able to make albums like The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby again.

You've every right to your opinion but how do you know they will never make albums like the above?  Also, why would they make albums like the above as they'd be repeating history.  I think they've already made albums which are great; Songs of Innocence being a very good example.  The beauty of all this is that we can respectfully disagree.

5 hours ago, omnivox said:

Just like Simple Minds will never repeat New Gold Dream, Depeche Mode will never repeat Violator / Songs of Faith and Devotion and The Cure will never repeat Disintegration, ..

Have you heard, Good News From the Next World, by Simple Minds?  Hypnotized and And The Band Played One are two of their best songs ever.  The whole album is good and, in my opinion, better than anything they've done. 

Disintegration is a masterpiece.  I thought Wish was a great way to follow it.  I also loved Wild Mood Swings.

Great bands don't repeat; they change and evolve.  It's never going to be the same.  Again, the beauty of this is that we can respectfully disagree.  It's interesting that you stop with Achtung Baby and do not include Zooropa, which I think is one of their best albums and they go together so well.  mho

• Like 1

9 hours ago, newsman said:

Some media suggested this looked like a goodbye album... I really hope it is! 

Who cares what the media suggests or thinks?   This is Zootopia.  We are the experts, not some critic who thinks the best song ever is literally The Best Song Ever by One Direction.  The album has only been out for three days.  Do you really hope it is their goodbye album?  If so, why bother?  j/k

• Like 1

Pre ordered new album 2/11 still not arrived I have this every time I order from u2 shop 

I think next time I'll go to record shop to buy

• Like 1

Now you're thinking straight lin!

Artist gets paid, You keep people employed (while we all still cling to money and jobs...ugh.) AND you get the record on release day!

It's an old fashioned pleasure to go say 'Hi' to someone at midnight and exchange money for a product. Tell them you don't need a bag and wave it over your head while you walk out of the store!

:)

I'll be up with sun...cause I'm already gone.

Edited by razspazz
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Rich T. said:

My pattern with U2 for many years has been to give a listen to each new collection of songs, think "meh, couldn't they have put out anything better?", then force myself to keep listening until I think the songs are fantastic, upon which I find myself pressed up against the rail to two consecutive shows, transported to a higher plane through the new songs.  I expect it to hold true this time, even though I'm actually only listening to the album for the first time right now, and thinking "meh, these are just any old songs that anyone could have knocked out without much effort".  Such is my strange relationship with U2 and their music.  And I've been going to their shows since The Unforgettable Fire tour.

I couldn’t have said it better, Rich T.

5 hours ago, Manohlive said:

You've every right to your opinion but how do you know they will never make albums like the above?  Also, why would they make albums like the above as they'd be repeating history.  I think they've already made albums which are great; Songs of Innocence being a very good example.  The beauty of all this is that we can respectfully disagree.

You have a good point. I did not word my thought properly. I was trying point out that to expect U2 to create an album that sounds like those mentioned would be a disservice to the band as well as the fans. Why would we want any band to stick to 1 formula or sound for all of time? I did not leave off Zooropa or others for any reason particular save that they may not have been as "big" or popular in general. Zooropa is one of my favorites and I listen to it frequently, especially on night drives in the GTI. Again, one of the reasons U2 have done so well for so long is their ability to remain relevant in the current musical environment. Not to mention they stay on the pulse of the times.

If you look at my post I was responding to a quote which included the words on Simple Minds and others, those were not my words. If I recall I pointed out the way their sound/albums evolve over time.

BTW, I recently discovered the rest of the Simple Minds catalog (beyond Dont Forget About Me). They have been a daily listen for a while. :D

Edited by omnivox

The way I see it, this band is in an unprecedented position.  There is no benchmark.  How many bands have been around for this long, generating new material that really does span generations?  This is possibly why they are so polarizing.  I also find that depending on the stage of my life, the albums have different meaning to me - and that is cool.  There is nothing wrong with being your own influence (as opposed to recycling ideas) in order to break new ground. I believe we all do that.

The whole concept of an album is different nowadays, as is our way of experiencing them (I used to have to fight my mother and sisters for the turntable in the eighties).  A lot of bands sell collections of songs and some sell albums - I prefer the albums and this band consistently puts them out. SoE is a good-un for me.   

Edited by brendo1704
  • Like 3
  • Brilliant 1

6 hours ago, Manohlive said:

You did not like Zooropa?   You did NOT buy Pop??????????    That's blasphemy!!!!   j/k    What should we do....banish her or make her sign up for a verified fan due to a non purchase of Pop?   I say the latter!   

I'm just joking, of course.  I loved Zooropa.  I still do.  I still want to hear Dirty Day and Daddy's Gonna Pay live more than I can express.  Now that you are back into the band...you may want to delve into their post Pop (AND POP) material for another listen.  They've put out a lot of great stuff.  You may have been over them at the time and hear the music quite differently now that you are back into U2. Please is an amazing song and it's on Pop.  I would suggest watching the video and listening to it.  That song is as applicable today as it was back in the day.  SOI is one of my favorite of their cds.  I have not listened to SOE enough to voice my opinion quite yet.

I too committed blasphemy.  I've had a bad cold/flu bug.  I fell asleep listening to SOE, a new U2 cd, for the FIRST time.  My first listen and I zonked.  Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.  I'm sticking myself with my Pop pins, which I bought at the Pop show.  I've lost a fair amount of blood hoping I can be allowed back into the, 'U2 is the greatest band ever', club after committing such a heinous offense.

I liked Zooropa but it was really the beginning of the end for me. Pop was too far of a departure for me, and honestly I'd moved into other realms by the time it came out (NIN, Radiohead, etc). As someone else pointed out, mid-to-late 90s was especially cruel to some of my favorite 80s bands (The Cure, DM, etc).

I mostly wanted to provide some background and point out, that while I will always be an old school U2 is better fan, I have taken a great liking to this new album and can appreciate it for what it is. 

Also for the sake of clarity, I am a man LOL!

The St Peter's String Version of Lights of Home is a much better fit after Love Is All We Have Left.

1 hour ago, brendo1704 said:

The way I see it, this band are in an unprecedented position.  There is no benchmark.  How many bands have been around for this long, generating new material that really does span generations?  This is possibly why they are so polarizing.  I also find that depending on the stage of my life, the albums have different meaning to me - and that is cool.  There is nothing wrong with being your own influence (as opposed to recycling ideas) in order to break new ground. I believe we all do that.

The whole concept of an album is different nowadays, as is our way of experiencing them (I used to have to fight my mother and sisters for the turntable in the eighties).  A lot of bands sell collections of songs and some sell albums - I prefer the albums and this band consistently puts them out. SoE is a good-un for me.   

^ What this dude said is on point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brendo1704 said:

The way I see it, this band is in an unprecedented position.  There is no benchmark.  How many bands have been around for this long, generating new material that really does span generations?  This is possibly why they are so polarizing.  I also find that depending on the stage of my life, the albums have different meaning to me - and that is cool.  There is nothing wrong with being your own influence (as opposed to recycling ideas) in order to break new ground. I believe we all do that.

Well said. This album is really good. Over the decades, I have found something in every album that I love and I find it really cool that my 18 y/o-musicphile-daughter also loves this album.

How many of you have received your email from Ticketmaster for either a download of CD of the album?....Am I missing something?....I don't see many people complaining, but I assume everyone is just streaming it like me.  Still in all, seems its just another Ticketmaster snafu..

10 hours ago, omnivox said:

You have a good point. I did not word my thought properly. I was trying point out that to expect U2 to create an album that sounds like those mentioned would be a disservice to the band as well as the fans. Why would we want any band to stick to 1 formula or sound for all of time? I did not leave off Zooropa or others for any reason particular save that they may not have been as "big" or popular in general. Zooropa is one of my favorites and I listen to it frequently, especially on night drives in the GTI. Again, one of the reasons U2 have done so well for so long is their ability to remain relevant in the current musical environment. Not to mention they stay on the pulse of the times.

If you look at my post I was responding to a quote which included the words on Simple Minds and others, those were not my words. If I recall I pointed out the way their sound/albums evolve over time.

BTW, I recently discovered the rest of the Simple Minds catalog (beyond Dont Forget About Me). They have been a daily listen for a while. :D

It's all good.  I listened to Numb and cranked it earlier today.  It's a matter of what we like and don't like.  I hated One Direction but like Zayn's first cd.  Can I say that without being banished?    I'm excited about SOE.  I'm on my third listen and it's starting to click.  I did not like it the first listen.  These songs are gonna kick ass live.  Who else thinks The Blackout is gonna open the show?  It's my pick but who knows.  That is what I love about this band.

Just now, Manohlive said:

BTW, I recently discovered the rest of the Simple Minds catalog (beyond Dont Forget About Me). They have been a daily listen for a while

I love, love, love the song, And the Band Played On.