hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

This is a great album with heartfelt songs, I have spent the past 20 years working away from home Landlady felt so personal. I don't have a key !

Edited by MrHuwGriffiths

I love the album so much!!!!

My favorite song is by far Book of Your Heart--to me this is a perfect synthesis of the band's career. Too bad it's only on the Deluxe edition of the album. I don't understand why it's not on the regular album...

• Like 3

Each time I listen to the record, I hear something new. It has been a grower for me. I wasn't that thrilled after hearing it from the start. Call me crazy, but I liked SOI from the start. 

• Like 2

Love the way they ignite the lightbulbs on this performance akind to the big lightbulb Bono swung over his head on the opening live tracks during the 'Innocence' Tour.  A definite connection for me between the two albums. 

Edited by yardie
  • Like 3

GET OUT OF YOUR OWN WAY is scoring a tad more than a couple others, for me.

On the backing singers concept, I like the idea of simply having a  really vocally talented lady and gent.

It's just occurred to me that Adam's bassline on Red Flag Day bears a bit of similarity with the one on The Troubles. Seems the callbacks to SOI aren't just lyrical.

5 minutes ago, peterferris8 said:

It's just occurred to me that Adam's bassline on Red Flag Day bears a bit of similarity with the one on The Troubles. Seems the callbacks to SOI aren't just lyrical.

Agree, they're also symbolic - just amended my last you tube share - lightbulbs.

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 6:06 PM, yardie said:

Agree, they're also symbolic - just amended my last you tube share - lightbulbs.

That is a cool song.

My son must be getting into my era of music a fair bit - loves the drums- and mentioned to me yesterday that RED FLAG DAY's opening sounds like the start of something The English Beat might have put out....ska with your tea anyone ?!

• Like 1

On 02/12/2017 at 1:32 AM, leilanie said:

I think Pop has finally been replaced as U2 weakest album. It is now sadly SOE.

I keep changing my mind on SOE. Firstly i thought it was just ok and in parts a bit boring, then with more listens parts started to grow on me. Having listened more i think its just a good album and nothing more. As Bono says, good is the enemy of great. Its certainly not rock n roll. The best song is The Little Things which i think is great. The Blackout is very good but for me there isn't enough songs that i want to listen to again and again. I prefer SOI which i think got a raw deal because of the apple i tunes debacle. Too many songs about the same subjects these days for me. 

So THE wEST cOAST is Syria...not California, not Ireland....but Syria. Ok, I get that now.

This band are ...just are.

Not a bad song on SOE. Every day a different tune off the album sticks in my head. Songwriting at its Best with serious issues. U2 continues to amaze!

• Like 1

On 12/28/2017 at 3:13 PM, yardie said:

Love the way they ignite the lightbulbs on this performance akind to the big lightbulb Bono swung over his head on the opening live tracks during the 'Innocence' Tour.  A definite connection for me between the two albums. 

Thank you for sharing, Yardie.

On 27/12/2017 at 9:11 PM, ThegirlwiththeLomontattoo said:

My favourite track so far is "Red Flag day" - minus the political bit :(

As Bono himself said "Singers are the last people you should listen to when they're not singing" 

I love Red Flag Day. I like most of the 2nd half of the album. when I read your post I had to look at he lyrics.

are you talking about the middle 8 where he says something about watching the News and many lost in the water?

Ok so the more I hear The Showman, admittedly my least fav track (sorry B.), the more I agree w/ whomever said it sounds like an inside joke between Bono & Ryan Tedder. I dont know where I read that but I laughed because I agree. I couldnt nail down why I didnt really like this track but I think that may be it. It sounds like the two of them are having a laugh at my (any random fan) expense.

He says its about lead singers putting on a show but one or two lines sounds like they could also be interpreted as a dig at the audience. 

‘Oh you dont care but you know Im there’ 

I believe this was supposed to have been a funny song but I guess I didnt get the joke. 

To end positively... still enjoying most of the album. 

Edited by Shannon387

Listening to it now in full and must say it's a huge disappointment. Apart from Blackout I don't like any of it.

On 1/2/2018 at 5:13 PM, ronnievox said:

Can't stop listening to Songs of Experience. Life long fan and I believe it is their best since Achtung Baby!

Agreed best work since AB, still don't skip tracks, Red Flag Day, Little Things and Lights of Home are absolute classic tracks which will still be strong in 20 years time, aka One, Streets, Pride, WOWY etc.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Shannon387 said:

Ok so the more I hear The Showman, admittedly my least fav track (sorry B.), the more I agree w/ whomever said it sounds like an inside joke between Bono & Ryan Tedder. I dont know where I read that but I laughed because I agree. I couldnt nail down why I didnt really like this track but I think that may be it. It sounds like the two of them are having a laugh at my (any random fan) expense.

He says its about lead singers putting on a show but one or two lines sounds like they could also be interpreted as a dig at the audience. 

‘Oh you dont care but you know Im there’ 

I believe this was supposed to have been a funny song but I guess I didnt get the joke. 

To end positively... still enjoying most of the album. 

Hi Shannon....

SOE is something  I can't really define.....the songs are crafted from a very  familiar sound/place..... and yet,..... something so foreign.....almost like a step child has entered into a existing family photo. Does that make sense???:huh:

The showman has a Roy Orbison feel.....with  Bono's sarcasm/whit and cryptic inflection.....

Does the upbeat tone work in contrast......? I think this dissonance is the 'poetry' Bono was attempting to illustrate.

I like the way Bono sings it...with a sexy, sultry bastard tone.......self-reflecting, self- imposing and  a mockery of himself.

Bono is taking stabs at himself.....and his "unlabored" profession....after all.....the whole shallow nature of  being a rockstar.  A profession by tradition filled with excess and ego....yet, Bono/the band has crafted a image of sincerity, honesty, spirituality and 'importance' within this chosen medium.....

Bono has stated...being a rockstar is the best job....he'd do it, even if he wasn't paid.

Yet???? Bono knows what is the initial attraction to being a celebrity/rock star? There has to be a inner need/insecurity to be fulfilled......at the root of all his performances/preaching/teaching.....is a inner quest to be loved/valued and understood. Self-importance is the inner belly of all celebrities.....and the delicate balance between the performer/audience is interdependent....vital....and essential to coexist.

The performer/artist.....lives for the 'feedback'/reaction of the audience......it's the heart & blood relationship....without the other.....there is no relationship, purpose or 'life'.

Maybe you sense Bono's love and contempt for his fans/audience.....because he may doubt our reasons for following the band. For sure....not everyone who attends a U2 concert is there for the love of the music, the messages or for the band members, themselves. Some want to be shallowly entertained for a few hours, smoke some pot....and have some beer spilled on their shoes...;)

And, yet....their life blood.....their validation.......is evident with us core fans.......right here and now.......40 years later......

We may criticize.....but, we are still talking about them and their 'art/vision'......and keeping their dream alive......

• Brilliant 1

3 hours ago, unforgettableu2 said:

Hi Shannon....

SOE is something  I can't really define.....the songs are crafted from a very  familiar sound/place..... and yet,..... something so foreign.....almost like a step child has entered into a existing family photo. Does that make sense???:huh:

Bono is taking stabs at himself.....and his "unlabored" profession....after all.....the whole shallow nature of  being a rockstar.  A profession by tradition filled with excess and ego....yet, Bono/the band has crafted a image of sincerity, honesty, spirituality and 'importance' within this chosen medium.....

Maybe you sense Bono's love and contempt for his fans/audience.....because he may doubt our reasons for following the band. For sure....not everyone who attends a U2 concert is there for the love of the music, the messages or for the band members, themselves. Some want to be shallowly entertained for a few hours, smoke some pot....and have some beer spilled on their shoes...;)

And, yet....their life blood.....their validation.......is evident with us core fans.......right here and now.......40 years later......

We may criticize.....but, we are still talking about them and their 'art/vision'......and keeping their dream alive......

A step child entering into a family photo... a good way of putting it. Id agree.

I do see Bono making fun of himself and attempting humor but I also sense he’s saying it to make a point. We as fans idolize this persona who is a larger than life version of himself.  Not his true self. 

I think he's also in a way making fun of the audience doubting our sincerity. He's making fun of himself showing a cartoon version of a singer and fans idolizing the singer. Looking at him but not really seeing him (ie, you see me but you dont really care).

I just started the latest season of Netflix Black Mirror and I can be guilty of thinking too much so thats where this came from...  There can be a certain toxicity to fandoms. We feel close to the artists creating the thing we love. These days we have the ability to practically speak to them via social media. Jump on twitter or here even and you see fans speaking their minds. It can turn toxic. Making demands of the artist to act a certain way, sound a certain way, be a certain way, etc. I distinctly remember a song request campaign on twitter the fans thought was fun but I think the band secretly hated. Im sensing that the real reason for this song to the fans is to say hey look musicians are artists and all of this is a performance. Stop taking everything so seriously and leave us be. You (the fan) cant possibly care about us. You dont even know us. They basically dont want to deal w our BS. I think artists are fine w fans as long as they know their place and act accordingly. Im sensing a negative view toward fans looking up to or idolizing them or anyone period and for the fan to beware.

The song is written from a singers perspective. I just didnt realize they can see things this way. The more I listen to it the more I feel like an idiot. I cant actually listen to it anymore. It sounds like an inside joke. 

In the end its just a song. Many seem to love this song and it doesnt really matter what I think. For my anxiety’s sake for the time being I’ll have to skip past it. Im just sorry he (or they) feel this way. 

At the risk of being placed on the undesirable fan full of bs list, wait... I think Im too late :wacko: I’ll make my exit from Zootopia. :ph34r: New Years goal for 2018, less social media, more real world. 

Thanks for your perspective. :) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Brilliant 1

12 hours ago, Shannon387 said:

A step child entering into a family photo... a good way of putting it. Id agree.

I do see Bono making fun of himself and attempting humor but I also sense he’s saying it to make a point. We as fans idolize this persona who is a larger than life version of himself.  Not his true self. 

I think he's also in a way making fun of the audience doubting our sincerity. He's making fun of himself showing a cartoon version of a singer and fans idolizing the singer. Looking at him but not really seeing him (ie, you see me but you dont really care).

I just started the latest season of Netflix Black Mirror and I can be guilty of thinking too much so thats where this came from...  There can be a certain toxicity to fandoms. We feel close to the artists creating the thing we love. These days we have the ability to practically speak to them via social media. Jump on twitter or here even and you see fans speaking their minds. It can turn toxic. Making demands of the artist to act a certain way, sound a certain way, be a certain way, etc. I distinctly remember a song request campaign on twitter the fans thought was fun but I think the band secretly hated. Im sensing that the real reason for this song to the fans is to say hey look musicians are artists and all of this is a performance. Stop taking everything so seriously and leave us be. You (the fan) cant possibly care about us. You dont even know us. They basically dont want to deal w our BS. I think artists are fine w fans as long as they know their place and act accordingly. Im sensing a negative view toward fans looking up to or idolizing them or anyone period and for the fan to beware.

The song is written from a singers perspective. I just didnt realize they can see things this way. The more I listen to it the more I feel like an idiot. I cant actually listen to it anymore. It sounds like an inside joke. 

In the end its just a song. Many seem to love this song and it doesnt really matter what I think. For my anxiety’s sake for the time being I’ll have to skip past it. Im just sorry he (or they) feel this way. 

At the risk of being placed on the undesirable fan full of bs list, wait... I think Im too late :wacko: I’ll make my exit from Zootopia. :ph34r: New Years goal for 2018, less social media, more real world. 

Thanks for your perspective. :) 

Shannon....

Great commentary....and thanks for your perspective as well. I really enjoyed reading it....for I read it a few times to digest/process the details in your thoughts. The root of all art.....in  any format/medium.....is in the  context of 'interpretation' of who views/acknowledges it. Even in your  conveyed, beautiful writing...is my  'interpretation'......and that is what art is all about......

Art/music/writing is a prism.....reflecting different thoughts/perspectives of the creator and the observer/interpreter. This relationship is unavoidable......and essential. Any artist who denies this....is lying or not self-aware of this inevitable love/hate bond.....especially between a rockstar/audience.

U2's name says it all....."U2" is a all encompassing word.....for performer/audience....no barriers....no boundaries......and essential feedback  for the creator and to be heard/validated for their creations......

Bono is the voice for himself and larry, Adam & Edge.....but the music/lyrics are also another character in this bond....for it is the art and the truth speaking for their souls.

The art/music is the only truth....really.....it is the animation of the conscience/subconscious mind/heart......

Bono/the band knows only the truth/meaning in their songs and lyrics......but, it doesn't diminish our individual interpretations.....in fact, I think they welcome it.

Do people/fans project our ideal selves on to our idols? For sure......but, in all fairness....we all project on others.....everyday. 

I think Bono/band know this.....and yet, this is the difficulty of being a celebrity. Hate/darkness is always around the light.....people want to worship or live vicariously through others. Reciprocally, people also want to hate/tear down the things they can't have or inspire to be......

The sinister aspect of celebrity and the dark relationship between a performer/audience.

Bono has entertained this concept both the  positive and negative aspects throughout their career....especially evident in Zooropa/Zootv tours....Macphisto/devil alter ego persona.

Maybe the interpretation of The Showman, can be taken a step farther.....in how God sees Bono's true self......always has.....despite his performances/alter egos....

God sees our true nature/path....despite the many masks we wear to conceal our pain, insecurities and low self-esteem. 

God sees the 'ugly' in all of us....yet doesn't 'care'.....because he unconditionally loves us for who we are.......

I think Bono explores the contrast between human/worldly definition of love and divine/perfect love....

And by the way, Shannon....I love the series Black Mirror.....I guess, I think to much as well.......:unsure:

Edited by unforgettableu2
  • Brilliant 1

Apologies if this has already been discussed and is immediately obvious to everyone else, but the guitar at the end of  TLTTGYA seems to incorporate "Is that All" (from October). Anyone else noticed this?  

Edited by brendo1704
typo

3 hours ago, brendo1704 said:

Apologies if this has already been discussed and is immediately obvious to everyone else, but the guitar at the end of  TLTTGYA seems to incorporate "Is that All" (from October). Anyone else noticed this?  

Brendo....

I attempted to replay "Is That All"? in my head to search for similarities with TLTTGYA.......but failed, so then I played it......and I didn't find it to resonate the same.  I do hear a similar spiritual theme return in SOE....that was clearly evident in the October album.  A theme of who I am? What is my purpose? What does God want from me? I also hear unresolved anger,  sadness and emptiness caused by Iris's death and issues with how Bono's dad dealt with it. Maybe Bono went full circle with these very  emotions as a young man....now as a older middle aged man, who experience his own near death experience????

But, I honestly think of "BAD" every time I hear TLTTGYA......not the same sound....but just the way the song builds and spirals into this pressurized emotion being suppressed  by anxiety, pain and fear......that  suddenly bursts to reveal and expose all the truth that has been numb/desensitized for so long.

Edited by unforgettableu2

1 hour ago, unforgettableu2 said:

Brendo....

I attempted to replay "Is That All"? in my head to search for similarities with TLTTGYA.......but failed, so then I played it......and I didn't find it to resonate the same.  I do hear a similar spiritual theme return in SOE....that was clearly evident in the October album.  A theme of who I am? What is my purpose? What does God want from me? I also hear unresolved anger,  sadness and emptiness caused by Iris's death and issues with how Bono's dad dealt with it. Maybe Bono went full circle with these very  emotions as a young man....now as a older middle aged man, who experience his own near death experience????

But, I honestly think of "BAD" every time I hear TLTTGYA......not the same sound....but just the way the song builds and spirals into this pressurized emotion being suppressed  by anxiety, pain and fear......that  suddenly bursts to reveal and expose all the truth that has been numb/desensitized for so long.

It is just the guitar part at the end.  If I was a musician I could give you some chords I guess.  The sound of the guitar in the end, to me, sounds like the melody from is that all (is that aaaa-aaaa-aaaaalll".  

Yes...I am pretty much musical dufus.  Having said that I have great taste in music :)