Sign in to follow this  
hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

Its all about taste i hated nloth and think its by far their worst album i dont like soi either and never listen to them but loved htdaab dont love soe yet but it may grow on me like zooropa

Please don't take this extended post (the length of which I was not intending) as a flame of your original post - I just had a lot of thoughts I wanted to get down in one sitting.

Hi dmway 

Thanks for your reflections - they were fun to read.

(By the way, Mofo is the third song on POP - so I'm wondering how it could be both "pretty cool" and "the worst U2 song ever"...

I've obviously got too much Mofo on my mind at the moment as what I meant to say is that Miami is the worst U2 track.!!B)

For the record I do like Mofo and especially liked it on the Popmart tour and then it going into I will follow.

Their best whole works (IMHO, of course) from start to finish where I feel the need to hear the whole thing once I start listening to them are: AB, NLOTH, and SOE. 

I'm happy to acknowledge SOE works well as a whole cohesive piece. Much better than SOI.

I really liked NLOTH (in my mind it is the best U2 album this side of the millennium) for this same reason and it had tracks that stood out but worked well within the body it belonged to.

To me SOE could be played at a dinner party and be rather pleasant ( it would be cruel of me to label it as elevator music!) but it's just so polished. The songs (IMHO) want to break out of the production that are sounding like a boy band. They'll definitely sound better live and I enjoyed the stuff they did for the BBC.

• Like 1

On 23/01/2018 at 1:25 AM, adrnik said:

I realise there are some on this forum who love Pop as an album but I think it sounds a mess.

The first three tracks are pretty cool but stuff like 'Gone' and 'LNOE' are awful and then there's 'Playboy Mansion' (yuck!!) and Mofo has to be the worst U2 song ever!

However, the tour was rather impressive!

*POP* seems to have fans in 2 camps, LOVE it or HATE it. there's no in between.

when I first heard Mofo I was like :huh: wtf is this noise? it took many, many listens for the song to grow on me. now it's my favourite on the album along with LNOE. live Mofo is at it's greatest, such energy, the pace of the song. it never lets up.

:POPCart_01: I'm with you on 'Playboy Mansion' that song is a B-Side imo and could of been left off the album as there are plenty of songs on *POP*. 

I've obviously got too much Mofo on my mind at the moment as what I meant to say is that Miami is the worst U2 track.!!B)

For the record I do like Mofo and especially liked it on the Popmart tour and then it going into I will follow.

oh, you don't like Miami. now that I get. for a long time I didn't like Miami at all but years after the album was released I started to appreciate it's strong points.

Adam's bass & Larry's drumming, it's got this dirty funk thing going on and the lyrics are just a bit of fun. Edge's guitar trying to sound like a car chase is pretty good too.

Edited by BigBunny
added quote reply

1 hour ago, adrnik said:

Thanks for your reflections - they were fun to read.

I'm happy to acknowledge SOE works well as a whole cohesive piece. Much better than SOI.

I really liked NLOTH (in my mind it is the best U2 album this side of the millennium) for this same reason and it had tracks that stood out but worked well within the body it belonged to.

To me SOE could be played at a dinner party and be rather pleasant (it would be cruel of me to label it as elevator music!) but it's just so polished. The songs (IMHO) want to break out of the production that are sounding like a boy band. They'll definitely sound better live and I enjoyed the stuff they did for the BBC.

Well, I'm glad you took my (overly) extended comments in the spirit that they were intended. :)

Yes - "Miami" was never my favorite - but I can't say I hated it either. In fact, when they played it on POPMart, I quite liked it...

Yes, the songs on SOI are strong individually, but, as a whole, it just doesn't have the same strong unified nature, so to speak, as SOE.

I'm glad to hear that there are people here who liked NLOTH! :D I've read so many criticisms of it here that, IMHO, are just unfounded. One of my very favorite way to listen to NLOTH is when I'm driving on a long trip - somehow that album captures a sense of motion really well. That may partially arise from the original version of NLOTH as captured on Anton Corbijn's "Linear" companion film (another thing I love about the whole NLOTH package - a video companion of the entire album? Yes, please! :) Tangentially, I was always a bit disappointed that they relegated "Breathe" to an extra on the DVD/BluRay of the U2360 tour - darn it all, the shows began with "Breathe" because it is a great kickoff song - LEAVE IT WHERE IT WAS PLAYED! :D

Now, I do agree that some of the songs sound a bit glossy on SOE - at the same time, that same production gives those songs almost an angelic/heavenly shimmer to them. If I had to guess, I think that was done on purpose - my rationale: Bono was given the instruction to write these songs "as if he were dead" - thus, a "perspective on high" wouldn't be out of place here. Also, in addition to writing emotional stompers over the years,  U2 have written healing, soothing songs as well - I think that has been done here by design too. That is, IMHO, SOE was written to be a sonic antidote, as it were, for our current state of the world. A daring endeavor, to be sure, but U2 have never been guilty of under-dreaming things, have they?

(Well, damn - I've written another long post. I had no idea that I had been so verbally constipated recently, apparently. :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, dmway said:

Well, I'm glad you took my (overly) extended comments in the spirit that they were intended. :)

Yes - "Miami" was never my favorite - but I can't say I hated it either. In fact, when they played it on POPMart, I quite liked it...

Yes, the songs on SOI are strong individually, but, as a whole, it just doesn't have the same strong unified nature, so to speak, as SOE.

I'm glad to hear that there are people here who liked NLOTH! :D I've read so many criticisms of it here that, IMHO, are just unfounded. One of my very favorite way to listen to NLOTH is when I'm driving on a long trip - somehow that album captures a sense of motion really well. That may partially arise from the original version of NLOTH as captured on Anton Corbijn's "Linear" companion film (another thing I love about the whole NLOTH package - a video companion of the entire album? Yes, please! :) Tangentially, I was always a bit disappointed that they relegated "Breathe" to an extra on the DVD/BluRay of the U2360 tour - darn it all, the shows began with "Breathe" because it is a great kickoff song - LEAVE IT WHERE IT WAS PLAYED! :D

I like NLOTH, the album as a whole flows very well. some very strong songs on it, Breathe, MOS, Unknown Caller, IKIGCIIDGCT < not the remix! 

On 1/22/2018 at 11:57 AM, KEV ANGELL said:

I realise there are some on this forum who love Pop as an album but I think it sounds a mess.

The first three tracks are pretty cool but stuff like 'Gone' and 'LNOE' are awful and then there's 'Playboy Mansion' (yuck!!) and Mofo has to be the worst U2 song ever!

I think Mofo is an incredible song.  For the record:  it's the first track on Pop.  You said you like the first three tracks; which is it?   I'm just kidding.

I've not been able to be online since early December.  SOE had just been released.  I've had a lot of down time to listen to this album and I love it.  It's growing on me even more and is a daily listen.  I'm not sure how or why, but I think it complements SOI.   I was in central Florida for three weeks.  The Gemini meteor shower was taking place.  It is pitch black where I was.  I saw well over 100 meteors; many were huge ones going all the way across the sky; many times I was seeing three or four or even five at once in every direction.  I was listening to SOE and did not even realize there was a meteor shower.  Seeing meteors all over during Landlady was transcendental.  Seeing a big one during the meteor line of Blackout was very cool.  The album had already really hit my love it button.  I walked around for three or four hours and listened to SOE many times.  Right place at the perfect time.   My favorite song is Landlady.  Seeing all those meteors during that song just made me love it more.

It's my favorite cd since Achtung Baby.  I really like it.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

I think Mofo is an incredible song.  For the record:  it's the first track on Pop.  You said you like the first three tracks; which is it?   I'm just kidding.

I saw someone already had corrected you.  I still feel like teasing if it's cool.

20 hours ago, dmway said:

This doesn't happen with every album for me either - there are many albums of theirs I'm quite happy to listen to in parts, even ones I love of theirs - e.g., I love POP and HTDAAB and SOI, but I don't feel like I have to hear the whole thing in one sitting when I listen to them. Their best whole works (IMHO, of course) from start to finish where I feel the need to hear the whole thing once I start listening to them are: AB, NLOTH, and SOE. (I have times when I feel that way about Boy and War too - but not all the time.) So, there is something about SOE that is really resonating with me (and many others here as well)...

I totally agree  - this SOE is one cohesive work that makes sense in its entirety.  I wanted to listen to Love Is All We Have Left tonight and I am listening to the whole thing through now because it is such a cohesive piece.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JCF said:

I totally agree  - this SOE is one cohesive work that makes sense in its entirety.  I wanted to listen to Love Is All We Have Left tonight and I am listening to the whole thing through now because it is such a cohesive piece.   

Yes - SOE is like one song with 13 parts.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I saw someone already had corrected you.  I still feel like teasing if it's cool.

:P:P

7 hours ago, dmway said:

13 parts that has 2 parts that completely suck! drums.gif.a36e730b3163e24dbdba541cb5a6a465.gif lol, I'm just messing with ya.

On 1/18/2018 at 10:49 PM, dmway said:

I'll expound on the lyrics more later, but IMHO this is one of Bono's very best bits of writing. I really, really like the words (and the music :)

I had written something about Bono's lyrics in Landlady but just noticed he did not write it.  My point was how he is able to weave so many different meanings into a song.  For me, he is amazing at lyrics.

It took weeks for me to draw meaning out of, 'If I can hear myself when I say.'.  I knew what Love is bigger meant.  It took weeks for me to realize that,  'Hear myself when I say...',  is about stepping out of the box and listening to one's one self.  It's much easier to say it to another person who needs to hear it than it is to say to our own selves.  That is the current meaning I'm getting from it but his lyrics become more over time.

He amazes me.  I pick little bits out of this and that and gain new meaning/insights from songs which are 20+ years old now.  I never try to analyze them right away.  I prefer the little bits here and there as I listen to the music over a period of time.

It is also fun to read what others discern from the lyrics.  This is why I subscribe to U2.com.  It's not the presales, even though they become very important.  It's this.  Every time I come into Zootopia, I leave feeling better for having done so.

Edited by Manohlive

11 hours ago, BigBunny said:

13 parts that has 2 parts that completely suck! drums.gif.a36e730b3163e24dbdba541cb5a6a465.gif lol, I'm just messing with ya.

Ouch!   I'm wounded and it's not even my comment.   haha

On 1/23/2018 at 12:02 PM, dmway said:

Tangentially, I was always a bit disappointed that they relegated "Breathe" to an extra on the DVD/BluRay of the U2360 tour - darn it all, the shows began with "Breathe" because it is a great kickoff song - LEAVE IT WHERE IT WAS PLAYED! :D

I concur.  Many were quite critical of it opening the show but I loved it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dmway said:

12 hours ago, BigBunny said:

31 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

Ouch!   I'm wounded and it's not even my comment.   haha

It's cool - I'm made of sterner stuff. :D

On 1/22/2018 at 11:57 AM, KEV ANGELL said:

TJT and AB are 'great' albums. Are we now saying SOE sits as an equal to these two classics?

Yes.  I like it that much.  That does not mean it has the  cultural impact of TJT and AB, however; it's that good for me.  I respect your opinion and comments.  I disagree, but do so with respect.

57 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

I had written something about Bono's lyrics in Landlady but just noticed he did not write it.  My point was how he is able to weave so many different meanings into a song.  For me, he is amazing at lyrics.

It took weeks for me to draw meaning out of, 'If I can hear myself when I say.'.  I knew what Love is bigger meant.  It took weeks for me to realize that,  'Hear myself when I say...',  is about stepping out of the box and listening to one's one self.  It's much easier to say it to another person who needs to hear it than it is to say to our own selves.  That is the current meaning I'm getting from it but his lyrics become more over time.

He amazes me.  I pick little bits out of this and that and gain new meaning/insights from songs which are 20+ years old now.  I never try to analyze them right away.  I prefer the little bits here and there as I listen to the music over a period of time.

It is also fun to read what others discern from the lyrics.  This is why I subscribe to U2.com.  It's not the presales, even though they become very important.  It's this.  Every time I come into Zootopia, I leave feeling better for having done so.

Yes, the interchange here is one of the best parts of the site. :)

I'm probably going to make a separate post on the one lyrical bit that is really sticking in my mind right now. I'll try to get on it soon.

A few things here: "refuJesus" has to be my new favorite word :D  The lines from "Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way" that give me a warm glow every time I hear them are: "Write a world where we can belong / to each other and sing it like no other..." Just lovely! The line you quoted too is one of my faves.

More later...

Just now, dmway said:

"refuJesus"

Yes!  I had forgotten.  I completely agree.  I love that word/phrase.  It's seems apropos to both our current times and all of history.

On 1/23/2018 at 1:08 PM, BigBunny said:

I like NLOTH, the album as a whole flows very well. some very strong songs on it, Breathe, MOS, Unknown Caller, IKIGCIIDGCT < not the remix! 

It does! :)

The remix of IGCIIDGCT was great live, but the regular version was the right version to have on the album.

Why they didn't release "No Line On The Horizon 2" as a single (or at least as a release to radio), I'll never know. Only those who got the "Get On Your Boots" CD single are likely to have ever heard it. The mid-tempo version was the right one to include on the album, but the up-tempo version rocks! B) I would have loved to have heard that live!

3 minutes ago, dmway said:

Why they didn't release "No Line On The Horizon 2" as a single (or at least as a release to radio), I'll never know.

I knew nothing of it.  I've never seen it on this website but am going to check.  I'd love to hear it. 

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

I knew nothing of it.  I've never seen it on this website but am going to check.  I'd love to hear it. 

Just in case you can't find it:

...and just to get back on topic...

I'm still loving SOE! :)

8 hours ago, dmway said:

It does! :)

The remix of IGCIIDGCT was great live, but the regular version was the right version to have on the album.

Why they didn't release "No Line On The Horizon 2" as a single (or at least as a release to radio), I'll never know. Only those who got the "Get On Your Boots" CD single are likely to have ever heard it. The mid-tempo version was the right one to include on the album, but the up-tempo version rocks! B) I would have loved to have heard that live!

they should've chosen 'Magnificent' as the first single. I don't mind Boots, it's not the best but not the worst. but putting that out as the first single set NLOTH up for fall. I'm currently listening to the 2nd version of the title track, haven't listened to it in ages. different lyrics, ha ha I can't make out what Bono is saying :lol: Edge has a few different things going on guitar wise which is very interesting. the song is much heavier this way and has a kind of rolling motion to it. I think I still prefer the album version though.

the album version has a different movement to it. more like a train moving along and it's really great when Larry's drums kick in. gives the train a bit of a shunt along the line. this title song is very good, doesn't get the credit ie: I don't hear people talk about it like they do other songs. same for album. 

13 minutes ago, BigBunny said:

they should've chosen 'Magnificent' as the first single. I don't mind Boots, it's not the best but not the worst. but putting that out as the first single set NLOTH up for fall. I'm currently listening to the 2nd version of the title track, haven't listened to it in ages. different lyrics, ha ha I can't make out what Bono is saying :lol: Edge has a few different things going on guitar wise which is very interesting. the song is much heavier this way and has a kind of rolling motion to it. I think I still prefer the album version though.

the album version has a different movement to it. more like a train moving along and it's really great when Larry's drums kick in. gives the train a bit of a shunt along the line. this title song is very good, doesn't get the credit ie: I don't hear people talk about it like they do other songs. same for album. 

Absolutely, Magnificent should have been the lead single and pretty sure album would have done better than it did. That being said NLOTH was a brilliant album and to me their best work since POP until SOE. Album was more in tune with The Unforgettable Fire than any other album had been, probably why I loved it as UF is my favourite album. Loved the tie up with the films too which gave it an even deeper feel to it.

Was well received with music press too, think Q gave it 5 stars but didn’t sell as well as expected.

Would love to hear it get some exposure again on the tour next year.