Sign in to follow this  
hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

On 1/30/2018 at 12:16 AM, BigBunny said:

@Manohlive just ignore me... I find it's the only way to get rid of me ignore.gif.724202e43e7f4dde6eb154d563702f6d.gif

Why would I ignore you when you are making me laugh?   haha

On 1/30/2018 at 12:16 AM, BigBunny said:

^ the bit in bold. from what I've heard your economy is doing better under Trump? thanks to W & Obama you guys got into... what was it 17 trillion dollar debt? :blink: that's bloody ridiculous. 

I think we need to be careful not to delve too deeply into politics.  It's bad in America right now.  People are losing hope.  One side is pitted against the other and most of them have guns.  170+ people a  day are dying of narcotic overdoses and it's still being politicized.

America's national debt goes back a lot further than you've listed.  Most of it is from corporate greed and political gain.  I could keep going, but I hope I've made my point.  It's easy to place blame and criticize.  That's why I watch and read several different sources of news on a daily basis.

If you are going after President Obama, for me, those are fighting words. I don't want to fight.  I want to dance and sing and laugh and love.

Can we please stick to the music and not jump too deeply into politics?  A little is fine, however; I don't think you realize that you are lumping different administrations and policies into one.  It's not how it works, nor is it how it happened.

I don't think it's you, BigBunny.  I think it's part of a bigger problem.  We get pitted against one another by those who take good hostage for their own personal gain.  It's a very baited hook and it's easy to bite.  I've done so many, many times.

I don't like the ha ah ah ah part of GOOYOW either.  I still like that song.  I love Adam's bass in it.  I think they kicked butt on the Grammy Awards.  I thought Kesha gave one of the best performances I've ever seen on the Grammy Awards.  I think U2 following her was great.  I also loved Elton John and Miley Cyrus.  I thought she looked and sounded great.  I love how Elton John gives the spotlight to those he supports as a musician.

I also still love SOE. 

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 2

I❤the new live video for GOOYOW! Very lovely mix with the images & live combination. A new edit with the Supermoon,Eclipse,bloodmoon, blue moon would be ominously luminous!!

????⚡??

I go back & forth with Coldplay & U2 as far as favorite songs. I lean towards U2, as I feel more of an attachment, as they are so inclusive with their fans & honestly, SOE songs are so clear, lovely ,& well crafted, also down to ? earth.

2 minutes ago, hestia said:

ominously luminous!!

What a great combination of words!

4 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

What a great combination of words!

TY

That's U2 for ya!!

I'm consistently inspired!

Just now, hestia said:

BTW, can't wait for the AAAHH live! I can carry that tune!⭐?

I can too but only when I'm in the shower!

52 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

I think we need to be careful not to delve too deeply into politics.  It's bad in America right now.  People are losing hope.  One side is pitted against the other and most of them have guns.  161 people a  day are dying of narcotic overdoses and it's still being politicized.

America's national debt goes back a lot further than you've listed.  Most of it is from corporate greed and political gain.  I could keep going, but I hope I've made my point.  It's easy to place blame and criticize.  That's why I watch and read several different sources of news on a daily basis.

If you are going after President Obama, for me, those are fighting words. I don't want to fight.  I want to dance and sing and laugh and love.

Can we please stick to the music and not jump too deeply into politics?  A little is fine, however; I don't think you realize that you are lumping different administrations and policies into one.  It's not how it works, nor is it how it happened.

I don't think it's you, BigBunny.  I think it's part of a bigger problem.  We get pitted against one another by those who take good hostage for their own personal gain.  It's a very baited hook and it's easy to bite.  I've done so many, many times.

I don't like the ha ah ah ah part of GOOYOW either.  I still like that song.  I love Adam's bass in it.  I think they kicked butt on the Grammy Awards.  I thought Kesha gave one of the best performances I've ever seen on the Grammy Awards.  I think U2 following her was great.  I also loved Elton John and Miley Cyrus.  I thought she looked and sounded great.  I love how Elton John gives the spotlight to those he supports as a musician.

I also still love SOE. 

Yep, what he said... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shannon387 said:

Yep, what he said... 

I haven't seen the rest of the show. My connection is spotty.

Music is like an elixer for the truth sometimes., its how you take it ?

2 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I think we need to be careful not to delve too deeply into politics.  It's bad in America right now.  People are losing hope.  One side is pitted against the other and most of them have guns.  161 people a  day are dying of narcotic overdoses and it's still being politicized.

I also still love SOE. 

Wise words, Manoh

Just now, kastee said:

Wise words, Manoh

Thanks.  I did not know if I should leave it posted or not. 

1 hour ago, hestia said:

I haven't seen the rest of the show. My connection is spotty.

If you did not see Kesha's performance...google it.   It is well worth watching.  I was tearing up when she was crying.  She was very real and it was very moving.

3 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I also still love SOE. 

the band are kind of shoving politics in our face with that GOOYOW South Park video. it's just not my cuppa tea and no I'm not going after Obama, if you look at my post I put W before him. I don't want to make this thread about politics but 3 songs on this album are about US politics. GOOYOW, American Soul & The Blackout. YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH! 

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH!!

oh and the Grammy's suck and they will continue to suck until they give Joe Satriani a Grammy Award.

1 hour ago, kastee said:

don't think it's you, BigBunny.  I think it's part of a bigger problem.  We get pitted against one another by those who take good hostage for their own personal gain.  It's a very baited hook and it's easy to bite.  I've done so many, many times.

I was not attacking you, BigBunny.  I included myself in the mix when I said it's easy to bite.  I don't know what the Blackout is about and I don't care right now.  All I care about is that it kicks ass and it moves me and it makes me move and it makes me feel better while the world is spinning in chaos.  I meant no personal offense.

I love SOE.

16 hours ago, Shannon387 said:

Nope. I love Coldplay. For me they're just behind U2 as a favorite band. Ive just learned not to talk about them here. ;) 

I'll feel that I have to listen to Shannon and not talk so much about Coldplay here.

I will share my feelings for the upcoming Experience Tour but first a last little quote from Bono too Chris I like (thanks sparky coldplaying forum and gai).

Bono on Chris

‘We were playing with (Every Breaking Wave) for the last album and Chris talked us out of it. He said, ‘That one deserves to be finished.’ The half-baked version would have denied us this, so we owe him for that… he’s a genius and a very self-effacing guy. He’s one of our bodyguards.’

That said I think Chris is more also an Adept to Bono.  Last time I saw them was Chris behind the Piano and Bono singing.. Let's hope you not think Chris messed up the Innoncence album now. ?

The Innoncence Tour was one of the best concert I ever been at. I'll agree to Manohliv & Ken that it was visual majesty and well directed. But the cross over from Zooropa to Streets with Bono walking from that small stage to the bigger with that olive colored smoke to red around him still give me goosebumps just thinking of it. 

A magical moment in Stockholm on the second night and I have mixed feelings on the critics from that album. I talked before the concert with a friend that is a among you Experience fan members and he told me - U2 never do a bad performance live and with the Innoncence album in mind and going home from that concert I will never doubt him on that again.

I though agree that all songs on Experience is not strong like other U2 albums except Pop in 1997 that had me begin to listning to another band. ?.

The grammy version of GOOYOW on that Flatboat in New York was not that good, there is only one in Dublin and with Gloria that I hope be on the setlist on this tour. It is though more true we will accept this version on the LCD and it will still work. ?

Coming from seeing them last in Dublin and the Joshua Tree tour I hope they pick some highlights from that tour on the Experience setlist. They were awesome not only I believe in Dublin..

New Years Day, Bad, Exit, Elevation, Mothers of the Disappeared.

From Innoncence Tour I would like to see them playing

Iris, Song for Someone or Every Breaking Wave.

6-7 songs that can be great live from the Experience album.

Lights of Home
Youre the best things about me
Get Out of your own way
American Soul
The Little things that give you away
The Blackout
The Book of Love I Landlady

Then finally also

City of Blinding Lights, Gloria, Magnificient, Streets, Ordinary Love, Out of Control, All I want is You, ISHFWILF, 40, One.

26 songs I think ☺..

Per

P.S Sorry for the Coldplay posts here. I will quote  something very U2:ish that I experienced on last tour.

A Irish fan told on the train to Malahide about the guys ending the Dublin Joshua Tree concert with "The Little things that give you away" - Rubbish ?..

I can not been the only one loving that song but share it cause I know they wanted something older  LOVE.

43 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

I was not attacking you, BigBunny.  I included myself in the mix when I said it's easy to bite.  I don't know what the Blackout is about and I don't care right now.  All I care about is that it kicks ass and it moves me and it makes me move and it makes me feel better while the world is spinning in chaos.  I meant no personal offense.

I love SOE.

I didn't take it as an attack. Bono said The Blackout was about America in a video that was on the front page. when he said this an image of the Statue of Liberty had a wall built around her. I agree The Blackout does kick ass, one of the best Clayton bass grooves I've heard in ages and it drives the whole song. it's very high up in the mix which I love. nah, I didn't take offence. I just wanted to post that South Park thing on Bono, feck that's funny. YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH! rofl.gif.07b4b8cf49be4158eb0959d3eb451b14.gif

I can't say I love SOE but my ears like it alot more now. the 2nd half of the album is really good, even The Showman sounds better to me now. aSW_R2D2Dance.gif.ceafa52fa40dfe88d00da0327e8f9c91.gif 

14 hours ago, BigBunny said:

I hate what they did with the Beatitudes and to give Eugene Peterson the credit for it doh.gif.8e7aa226d63d6c4d8048fac4f701a58f.gif

edit: I didn't care for the performance on the Grammy's but then I don't like the song. also, were they playing live? or was the audio pre-recorded? I can't stand the 'aaha ha ahh' part, sounds stupid.

seems a bit too Taylor-Swifty for me

15 hours ago, Shannon387 said:

I loved their Grammy performances. I can understand people not enjoying the politics but I like hearing their point of view. I grew up with it. Much of who I am as a person is due in large part to them. I know some don't like it but hey...I do. Preach on Bono et al. Besides, the US is a mess right now. Bono is one of the ones people listen to. He captures your attention, on both sides. 

Side note I really loved them signing in front of the Statue of Liberty and I thought JR's (http://www.jr-art.net/jr) contribution was great also. I'm liking the combo of U2 & JR. 

The politics have always been a constant with them and, for me and many others, part of the reason I/we enjoy the band as much as we do.

I find it quite sanctimonious and pretentious of those who think that just because they themselves don't agree with the band's being political that they (i.e., the band) should stop being political. What a load of crap! If their politics bother you that much, don't buy the music and/or don't come to the shows. Those would be much more effective in getting your point across. Wheezing here or elsewhere about it and expecting it to actually be acted upon by the band is both silly and laughable...

Long may the band continue to be who they are and have always been: active musically AND politically.

• Brilliant 1

7 hours ago, BigBunny said:

I didn't take it as an attack. Bono said The Blackout was about America in a video that was on the front page. when he said this an image of the Statue of Liberty had a wall built around her. I agree The Blackout does kick ass, one of the best Clayton bass grooves I've heard in ages and it drives the whole song. it's very high up in the mix which I love. nah, I didn't take offence. I just wanted to post that South Park thing on Bono, feck that's funny. YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH! rofl.gif.07b4b8cf49be4158eb0959d3eb451b14.gif

I can't say I love SOE but my ears like it alot more now. the 2nd half of the album is really good, even The Showman sounds better to me now. aSW_R2D2Dance.gif.ceafa52fa40dfe88d00da0327e8f9c91.gif 

I'm happy to read you took no offense.  I was worried you did. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rixchix said:

seems a bit too Taylor-Swifty for me

I don't listen to Taylor Swift. does she "aah ah ah" alot? 

11 hours ago, dmway said:

The politics have always been a constant with them and, for me and many others, part of the reason I/we enjoy the band as much as we do.

I find it quite sanctimonious and pretentious of those who think that just because they themselves don't agree with the band's being political that they (i.e., the band) should stop being political. What a load of crap! If their politics bother you that much, don't buy the music and/or don't come to the shows. Those would be much more effective in getting your point across. Wheezing here or elsewhere about it and expecting it to actually be acted upon by the band is both silly and laughable...

Long may the band continue to be who they are and have always been: active musically AND politically.

I am anything but sanctimonious & pretentious dmway. I just spend too much time on the internet blahblah.gif.91e068ee70769735f41aef3c85754029.gif I don't expect the band to change, actually Bono is the only one that annoys me. when I was 16 whatever he said was audio gold. now that I'm older, this anti-Trump thing of his getting old. no, he's not going to change. do I still love him... I think so. I think it's ok to disagree with Bono on something and still be a fan. if every U2 fan agreed with Bono... how boring it would be. Bono being Irish probably loves a good argument/debate and I think us Aussies are similar that way. you can disagree with someone and still be friends with them.  

9 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I'm happy to read you took no offense.  I was worried you did. 

nah, don't worry. I'm used to making jokes on forums and having a laugh. even if we are talking abut something that may be considered a serious subject. maybe it's because I'm an Aussie, I don't know?

10 hours ago, BigBunny said:

I am anything but sanctimonious & pretentious dmway. I just spend too much time on the internet blahblah.gif.91e068ee70769735f41aef3c85754029.gif I don't expect the band to change, actually Bono is the only one that annoys me. when I was 16 whatever he said was audio gold. now that I'm older, this anti-Trump thing of his getting old. no, he's not going to change. do I still love him... I think so. I think it's ok to disagree with Bono on something and still be a fan. if every U2 fan agreed with Bono... how boring it would be. Bono being Irish probably loves a good argument/debate and I think us Aussies are similar that way. you can disagree with someone and still be friends with them.

My comment wasn't directed towards you at all. :) That's why I didn't quote any of your posts before it. In fact, the one I did quote pretty much agreed with my original point.

I have no problem with anyone disagreeing with the band for any reason and posting such opinions here. That, quite obviously, is completely fine and part of the reason this board exists in the first place.

My specific point was addressing those who disagree with the band's being political and then sanctimoniously and pretentiously go even further in claiming that the band itself has no right to be as political as they are openly at shows or in public appearances. That opinion is complete BS. Just as you/I/we have the right to have any opinions and express them openly, so do the band members themselves - they are human beings just like we are. It's the petulance from those who would silence the band's politics unjustifiably that led me to my post.

My post really did have nothing to do with you or your posts. :)

Edited by dmway
  • Like 1

Bono has always been a little bit awkward in his opinion and you think sometimes, why did you say that and I certainly don’t agree with him on a fair few occasions BUT when you see him live or on some chat shows in recent years he comes across as a very humble person. I Can see how he does/can annoy people but that is what makes the man he is and he certainly does far more good than is attributed for. 

I have had on many occasions argued on his behalf to some of my mates saying their opinion of him is only based on how the media portray him and when you see him perform it shows a totally different side of him.

I remember the Milton Keynes Bowl gig in 1985 when the electronics went wrong at the start of Bad, he just casually if a little awkwardly told some jokes and it was that moment I saw a very humble man who treated you as a mate down the pub would. 

Whatever his view is whether I agree or not I certainly respect him and find him very adhering.

The politics have always been a part of U2 and I love the way they have stood by this even when it has brought them in many ways unfair criticism.

i doubt there will ever be another band like U2 and I feel privileged to have grown up with them through my life, every step of the way.

• Like 2
  • Brilliant 1

In the past Bono has been described as a prophet for our time.

I'm not entirely uncomfortable with this description but as Kev Angell and others have said above, it is possible to disagree with Bono (or any other band mbr).

I loved the stuff the band has done with Drop the Debt and relief for Africa.

I felt the tax issue tainted and took away the good will attached the above and other political interests.

The stuff on SOE is very political but possibly because this is the first time criticism has been directed at USA ( I think this is correct?) since Bullet the Blue Sky it feels uncomfortable for some.

Maybe it's easier to accept other countries issues are being written about no matter where we live.

Edited by adrnik
  • Like 1

I live in America.  I suffered the State of the Union address last night.  I despise President Trump. The reason I bring it up is that I love how the new cd and video shoots are political.  I think they are spot on and being done through artistic expression.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I live in America.  I suffered the State of the Union address last night.  I despise President Trump. The reason I bring it up is that I love how the new cd and video shoots are political.  I think they are spot on and being done through artistic expression.

Seconded and fully agreed.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dmway said:

My comment wasn't directed towards you at all. :) That's why I didn't quote any of your posts before it. In fact, the one I did quote pretty much agreed with my original point.

I have no problem with anyone disagreeing with the band for any reason and posting such opinions here. That, quite obviously, is completely fine and part of the reason this board exists in the first place.

My specific point was addressing those who disagree with the band's being political and then sanctimoniously and pretentiously go even further in claiming that the band itself has no right to be as political as they are openly at shows or in public appearances. That opinion is complete BS. Just as you/I/we have the right to have any opinions and express them openly, so do the band members themselves - they are human beings just like we are. It's the petulance from those who would silence the band's politics unjustifiably that led me to my post.

My post really did have nothing to do with you or your posts. :)

sorry about that. I haven't seen anyone else post about Bono being a bit of asshat (I thought the South Park clip may of annoyed people) myself I find it hilarious. 

6 hours ago, Manohlive said:

please don't make this thread political heh.gif.2a8785cde33314e693245318a000f694.gif lets keep this thread about SOE and how it's shaping up to be a gem drink2.gif.ee7a16c8f2388e97bd889b75d9f6feb6.gif

• Like 1