Sign in to follow this  
hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

7 minutes ago, BigBunny said:

sorry about that. I haven't seen anyone else post about Bono being a bit of asshat (I thought the South Park clip may of annoyed people) myself I find it hilarious. 

No problem - "South Park" is hilarious by definition. :) They take the piss out of everyone - although they were quite adoring of Robert Smith from The Cure. :D

SOE is pleasing me mightily - and I love the Grammy performance. I hope we hear that song just that way in May and June. B)

4 minutes ago, dmway said:

No problem - "South Park" is hilarious by definition. :) They take the piss out of everyone - although they were quite adoring of Robert Smith from The Cure. :D

SOE is pleasing me mightily - and I love the Grammy performance. I hope we hear that song just that way in May and June. B)

I haven't seen the episode with Bono & Stan's dad duelling it out for largest crap in the world. I've only seen snippets. the episode you are referring to is an oldy. that's the one about Barbara Streisand ruining Aspen. "Robert Smith, Robert Smith, Robert Smith" "Sidney Poitier, Sidney Poitier". I remember the episode where they had a crack at MetallicA for taking on napster, that was funny. but I was on Metallica's side about that and so were most recording artist's, they just didn't have the guts to say it publicly. both U2 & MetallicA have been on The Simpsons lol 

23 minutes ago, BigBunny said:
7 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I live in America.  I suffered the State of the Union address last night.  I despise President Trump. The reason I bring it up is that I love how the new cd and video shoots are political.  I think they are spot on and being done through artistic expression.

please don't make this thread political heh.gif.2a8785cde33314e693245318a000f694.gif lets keep this thread about SOE and how it's shaping up to be a gem drink2.gif.ee7a16c8f2388e97bd889b75d9f6feb6.gif

My comment is about SOE.  It is about why I love SOE.  It is addressing the political message of SOE.  I am agreeing, as an American, to what I believe that message is.  If an American cannot address this, who can?  I did not delve deeply into politics.  I addressed the American based political message of SOE.

My statement stands. I will not change it unless told to do so by a moderator.  I wish no argument.  I'm hoping you are sticking it back to me with humor.  If so, good one!  If not, then we need to respectfully disagree.  No matter, there is respect from my side.

5 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

My comment is about SOE.  It is about why I love SOE.  It is addressing the political message of SOE.  I am agreeing, as an American, to what I believe that message is.  If an American cannot address this, who can?  I did not delve deeply into politics.  I addressed the American based political message of SOE.

My statement stands. I will not change it unless told to do so by a moderator.  I wish no argument.  I'm hoping you are sticking it back to me with humor.  If so, good one!  If not, then we need to respectfully disagree.  No matter, there is respect from my side.

gosh darn it Manohlive, can't you take a joke? the laughing smilie should tell you that I'm joking. dang, everyone on this board is so serious.

edit: also the beer smilie... that means the post is chill.

Edited by BigBunny
added more to my post... stop grilling me!

Just now, BigBunny said:

gosh darn it Manohlive, can't you take a joke? the laughing smilie should tell you that I'm joking. dang, everyone on this board is serious.

I pretty much thought you were joking, BigBunny.  I've read a lot of your posts. In my confusion, I decided to take the pulpit and go for it.  I need to dispel the tension somehow. 

That was a great response.   I loved it.  I roared and then thought, 'Hold it a sec, she is joking, right?  Hmm...can I rant one last bit and get away with it?'.  I was 98.2739% certain you were joking.  I was very serious, just in case, but it was also a bit of a joke when I said, 'My statement stands.'. :)

Time to go listen to Coldplay...haha

35 minutes ago, dmway said:

sorry about that. I haven't seen anyone else post about Bono being a bit of asshat (I thought the South Park clip may of annoyed people) myself I find it hilarious. 

When is South Park not funny?   They were VERY nice to Robert Smith.

3 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

I pretty much thought you were joking, BigBunny.  I've read a lot of your posts. In my confusion, I decided to take the pulpit and go for it.  I need to dispel the tension somehow. 

That was a great response.   I loved it.  I roared and then thought, 'Hold it a sec, she is joking, right?  Hmm...can I rant one last bit and get away with it?'.  I was 98.2739% certain you were joking.  I was very serious, just in case, but it was also a bit of a joke when I said, 'My statement stands.'. :)

Time to go listen to Coldplay...haha

I quoted you, you should've of known that ;) check ya messages.

Isn't SOE wonderful?

The whole exchange made me laugh, BigBunny.  Thanks.  I love it.

Edited by Manohlive

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:48 AM, Manohlive said:

Why would I ignore you when you are making me laugh?   haha

I think we need to be careful not to delve too deeply into politics.  It's bad in America right now.  People are losing hope.  One side is pitted against the other and most of them have guns.  170+ people a  day are dying of narcotic overdoses and it's still being politicized.

America's national debt goes back a lot further than you've listed.  Most of it is from corporate greed and political gain.  I could keep going, but I hope I've made my point.  It's easy to place blame and criticize.  That's why I watch and read several different sources of news on a daily basis.

If you are going after President Obama, for me, those are fighting words. I don't want to fight.  I want to dance and sing and laugh and love.

Can we please stick to the music and not jump too deeply into politics?  A little is fine, however; I don't think you realize that you are lumping different administrations and policies into one.  It's not how it works, nor is it how it happened.

I don't think it's you, BigBunny.  I think it's part of a bigger problem.  We get pitted against one another by those who take good hostage for their own personal gain.  It's a very baited hook and it's easy to bite.  I've done so many, many times.

I don't like the ha ah ah ah part of GOOYOW either.  I still like that song.  I love Adam's bass in it.  I think they kicked butt on the Grammy Awards.  I thought Kesha gave one of the best performances I've ever seen on the Grammy Awards.  I think U2 following her was great.  I also loved Elton John and Miley Cyrus.  I thought she looked and sounded great.  I love how Elton John gives the spotlight to those he supports as a musician.

I also still love SOE. 

It's mostly because in this case, I really like your writing and your willingness to discuss, that I have to comment. Going back to when I was introduced to WAR. Aside from a serious crush on the incredible girl who gave me a tape ( Janet where in the world are you ? Hope you are happy !), it opened me up to a new way of expressing an overwhelming anger and cynicism at both the Irish situation and in a larger sense, the world, the nuclear clock...and my seeming impotence to have any effect. I learned the value of the arts in protest. 

I learned that art in all its forms takes on the issues political people won't, can't or are intentionally manipulating. I gravitated towards music in this vein. It catches the attention of many who might otherwise not be paying quite enough attention. 30+ years later, more than ever, we need these issues addressed. We all only have one kick at the can and it is extremely tough, even for those who pay attention to the politics around them, to express a counter opinion.

Humans by nature are sheep ( ish) and tend to not want to rock the boat, are susceptible to group think and can be confused on fact vs fiction, truth vs lie. Combined with the fact, the slippery slope of US politics today is to immediate and forcefully intimidate those who express democratic and social justice issues obviously counter to current federal leadership.

The lack of individual challenge as a result of either sleep walking or intimidation allows, and history shows this very well, sociopathic personalities to lead us down the wrong path.

There is a depth of absolute immoral, racist, economic elitism that is getting locked in as 'normal' and more and more acceptable. Sociopathy as leadership, no empathy thus - no ability to create policy or opportunity for those on the edge. It can't go un challenged. I just can't let it. I'll try to be tactful to people in expressing this thought, less so with political people. Happily willing to have my nose broken again, but this time I will punch back, not first, but they will know they are in a fight. Just too much at stake.

Now is not the time to be pinched by the depth of political commentary on this disk. I value it deeply.

Bono was extremely considerate to intertwine it with his love for the US - as an idea that bloomed into something special at on time, but is disintegrating at such a rapid pace that ignorance can't be an excuse anymore.

• Brilliant 3

11 hours ago, Manohlive said:

When is South Park not funny?   They were VERY nice to Robert Smith.

Just as a trivial observation - when you edited the post you were replying to, you made it seem that I said what BigBunny had written above. :D

No problem obviously - but it did make me laugh. :)

SOE rules!

46 minutes ago, dmway said:

Just as a trivial observation - when you edited the post you were replying to, you made it seem that I said what BigBunny had written above. :D

No problem obviously - but it did make me laugh. :)

SOE rules!

I see I did.  My mistake.  Me so sorry!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, economicformula said:

Bono was extremely considerate to intertwine it with his love for the US - as an idea that bloomed into something special at on time, but is disintegrating at such a rapid pace that ignorance can't be an excuse anymore.

I agree with everything you said in your post.  When I said we should not delve too much into politics, it was to avoid an onslaught of fighting over different points of view on a thousand different subjects.  My fear was those subjects would have nothing to do with SOE.  This thread is about SOE and if it's a gem or not. 

Bono was very considerate.  He did not tell me what America is.  He told me what America is to him.  I respect that immensely.  I love what he/the band are saying.  I love how they are doing it.  I look forward to more.  It is so bad in America that I cannot talk to people within my own family because they are for President Trump and I couldn't be more against what he's doing.  That is how close to home the divisiveness has become.

The album, War, had a huge impact on me as well.  I too feel an overwhelming anger and cynicism at my country's situation, and the world at large.

Thank you for saying what you did. I like your writing too. It never hurts to remind ourselves that we are not impotent and we will change the world.  I love SOE because it's strengthening my hope and resolve to do just that. 

I too value art which protests.  One of my favorite pieces of art is Guernica by Picasso.  Another favorite is The Third of May by Goya.  Thanks for reminding me of them in your passion of art because what is sad becomes beautiful in both works. 

This is why I love U2.  This is why I love SOE.  Different people from different countries are talking over a common love of music. We are discussing the problems we are all facing. We are listening to each other.  We are disagreeing and explaining why. We are doing it with respect.

Edited by Manohlive

See, I'm not big into politics really - yeah, sounds crass coming from a guy that lives in Northern Ireland and grew up through the 70's + 80's + 90's - but I'm not. Maybe I've just become politically weary of all the nonsense I heard growing up.

Where I grew up, only 25 miles North of Belfast - I was, largely, unaffected directly by much of what went on in my country. That said, perhaps I was lucky, because by being in the wrong place at the wrong time, many were not so lucky and affected deeply or lost life.

My point. The world has changed. I was on social media this morning, and my cousin, (who resides in North East Ohio, on the shores of Lake Erie, and that I've been fortunate enough to visit a few times, once in 1989 + 1991, when we were younger, and more recently in 2015 (got to see U2 in NYC), and only last year) -  sends this beautiful image of Statue of Liberty, with the moon, and a message - 'let's remember America was built on immigration.'

Love her to bits - she's my feisty cousin, albeit, we're not as young as we used to be. She's proud of her Irish (Belfast) roots though she herself was born in the USA, to my wonderful Uncle Mal & Aunt Belle (now in their seventies) who hail from Belfast. 

THEY sought the American dream in the early 1970's when N.Ireland was in a spot of bother. Young Americans were fighting in Vietnam, to the point were American companies were advertising jobs in the Belfast Telegraph newspaper. They chose a new life.

This wasn't in the days of the Titanic not making it to the other side - this is in my lifetime and immigration is part of global coexistence.

So whilst I'm not good a doing politics - I very much don't do aggression either - I very much value coexistence. Whilst U2 for me will almost always be about the music (I believe in this album because of the subtleness of some of the instrumental work on this album) - there will always be a part of me that wants to shout 'LOOK AROUND, LOOK AROUND, IT'S A SOUND, LOOK AROUND - IT'S NOT A PLACE.'

• Like 2

12 hours ago, economicformula said:

Happily willing to have my nose broken again, but this time I will punch back, not first, but they will know they are in a fight. Just too much at stake.

May I ask if your nose being broken by a punch is literal or figurative?

2 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I love SOE and think it is a gem.  Even people who hate U2 and Bono listen where they otherwise might not. Like it or not, a good part of the album is about the current state of America.  It's impossible for me, as an American, to not address all of this and be able to come to my opinion of SOE. If the video for GOOYOW was played across the screens of America...the entire country would be discussing it and maybe we'd come to a reasonable solution to the mess we are facing.

I agree with all your sentiments, Manolive. Except I think it's going to take more than everyone watching a video and discussing it. It is going to take, and is taking, so many of us who have been sliding by with just voting and nothing more, stepping up and showing up, making the phone calls, going to the rallies, testifying at hearings, running for office, campaigning for good people who are running for office, all of it.  Getting out of our own way and getting off the couch and showing up.  AND...this album helps me do that.  My kids were complaining a couple weeks ago about "going to another boring rally" when we were heading to our state's Women's March on the Polls and after my boring little lecture to them about the fragility of democracy and our duty to stand up and protect it (a lecture no one ever gave me as I grew up in the 80s)....I put on Love is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way to inspire us.  These are scary times for democracy and I find that song and Love is All We Have Left to be such balms to calm and ground me when the fear gets out of hand.  SOE has shaped up to be a gem indeed, for me. Two months in and I am still so in love with it.  

• Thanks 1
  • Brilliant 2

3 minutes ago, JCF said:

I agree with all your sentiments, Manolive. Except I think it's going to take more than everyone watching a video and discussing it. It is going to take, and is taking, so many of us who have been sliding by with just voting and nothing more, stepping up and showing up, making the phone calls, going to the rallies, testifying at hearings, running for office, campaigning for good people who are running for office, all of it.  Getting out of our own way and getting off the couch and showing up.  AND...this album helps me do that.  My kids were complaining a couple weeks ago about "going to another boring rally" when we were heading to our state's Women's March on the Polls and after my boring little lecture to them about the fragility of democracy and our duty to stand up and protect it (a lecture no one ever gave me as I grew up in the 80s)....I put on Love is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way to inspire us.  These are scary times for democracy and I find that song and Love is All We Have Left to be such balms to calm and ground me when the fear gets out of hand.  SOE has shaped up to be a gem indeed, for me. Two months in and I am still so in love with it.  

Thanks.  I just deleted the post you are quoting because I was afraid I went too far and got preachy,.  I wish we had a save and think about my post for a while so I can either edit it or delete it before I submit my reply, feature on U2.com.  I think you raise a very valid point. It is going to take a lot of work by a lot of people.  It always has.  It's easy to forget how many people are doing it behind the scenes.  I have a lot of older friends who worked in the Vietnam anti-war movement.  I've worked for campaigns but not enough.  I'm furiously writing a book about our opioid tragedy. I can get a bit intense as a result, so I deleted my post fearing I had.

Edited by Manohlive

3 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

Thanks.  I just deleted the post you are quoting because I was afraid I went too far and got preachy,.  I wish we had a save and think about my post for a while so I can either edit it or delete it before I submit my reply, feature on U2.com. 

I think you were sharing what's on your mind and in your heart as it relates to the specific, political commentary on SOE.  As others have said, we have to talk about it all.  There is a lot in this album, and some of it is very specific to the current political and cultural moment in the USA.  Anyway, if you were preaching, I'm in the choir, ha! 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

May I ask if your nose being broken by a punch is literal or figurative?

I’ve had it broken twice. Once literally and once figuratively ! Lol

When I had classes in educational theory at uni, I remember that we were told about the Jones model for management during lessons. It consisted of two precepts: "Catch them being good", and "Be positive, be brief, and be gone".

I'm going to exemplify the second maxim right now.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE SOE!!! :wub:

That is all. :)

• Like 2

Maybe others have said this but Bono's got to be close to the end of his paradox ration in SOE?!  U2 have always deployed paradox nicely but its frequency grates on me a little, even though I really like most of the songs... 

shooting stars, brighter as they're vanishing; how bad can a good time be; get out of you own way; you can only truly own what you give away; blessed are the bullies for one day they will have to stand up to themselves; when all is lost we find out what remains; we can't afford to be afraid of what we fear; this freedom it might cost you your liberty; see myself from a distance; the end is not coming, it's not coming, the end is here; the lies we know are almost true; I will win and call it losing; the darkness where we learn to see; the blackout, is this an extinction event we see?; you can hear the silence say; when you think you're done you've only just begun; are you tough enough to be kind; your heart has its own mind; are we tough enough for ordinary love; 

5 minutes ago, acdublin said:

Maybe others have said this but Bono's got to be close to the end of his paradox ration in SOE?!  U2 have always deployed paradox nicely but its frequency grates on me a little, even though I really like most of the songs... 

shooting stars, brighter as they're vanishing; how bad can a good time be; get out of you own way; you can only truly own what you give away; blessed are the bullies for one day they will have to stand up to themselves; when all is lost we find out what remains; we can't afford to be afraid of what we fear; this freedom it might cost you your liberty; see myself from a distance; the end is not coming, it's not coming, the end is here; the lies we know are almost true; I will win and call it losing; the darkness where we learn to see; the blackout, is this an extinction event we see?; you can hear the silence say; when you think you're done you've only just begun; are you tough enough to be kind; your heart has its own mind; are we tough enough for ordinary love; 

I think as long as the world is paradoxical-that part of his lyrical approach will be apropos. mho

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I think as long as the world is paradoxical-that part of his lyrical approach will be apropos. mho

*goes to look apropos up in the dictionary* Book.gif.fbd94a3f532c4504765818e897a80def.gif

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I'm all for paradox but, like too much banoffee, when over-indulged, can be a bit sickly:-)

48 minutes ago, acdublin said:

I'm all for paradox but, like too much banoffee, when over-indulged, can be a bit sickly:-)

I agree that he seems to be engaging in paradox more than normal on this album, but he's been writing lyrics in that fashion for quite a while now. (At the moment, I don't feel like quoting all of the examples - it would take a while, and it is Super Bowl Sunday after all... B) )

In fact, I would think it would sound funny to me if he didn't use it as often as he did. When he's writing emotional songs, he tends to be straightforward; however, when he's in his philosophical mode, paradox galore. For philosophical points, paradox is a effective tool to use. Since he is older now, it might show how much more open-minded (or less closed-minded) he is about things, IMHO - not that he wasn't in the past, but, as one grows older, one gains perspective, hopefully rising to the point of wisdom. Maybe that's his modus operandi?

Some of his paradoxes are very pointed ("bullies standing up to themselves" for one), but more power to him with those.

But, yes, I take your point - he does seem to be using it more here. Perhaps an album called "Song of Experience" demands such a perspective though?

3 hours ago, dmway said:

I agree that he seems to be engaging in paradox more than normal on this album, but he's been writing lyrics in that fashion for quite a while now. (At the moment, I don't feel like quoting all of the examples - it would take a while, and it is Super Bowl Sunday after all... B) )

In fact, I would think it would sound funny to me if he didn't use it as often as he did. When he's writing emotional songs, he tends to be straightforward; however, when he's in his philosophical mode, paradox galore. For philosophical points, paradox is a effective tool to use. Since he is older now, it might show how much more open-minded (or less closed-minded) he is about things, IMHO - not that he wasn't in the past, but, as one grows older, one gains perspective, hopefully rising to the point of wisdom. Maybe that's his modus operandi?

Some of his paradoxes are very pointed ("bullies standing up to themselves" for one), but more power to him with those.

But, yes, I take your point - he does seem to be using it more here. Perhaps an album called "Song of Experience" demands such a perspective though?

Super Bowl ☺

Have U2 played in the history of the Super Bowl?...