hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

2 minutes ago, Shannon387 said:

I'm in the US. Staying stateside for the tour. One show, it was in my budget. I wanted to do Dublin but not in the budget I'm afraid. May add 1 more but that's up in the air at the moment. Enjoy your concerts. :)

Thanks Shannon387

I have the US next where I want to see them. 

Have a close friend to family in Ohio (Cincinnati) that is also an U2 fan and norweigan dropped an offer in my mailbox today.

I have budget do one more travel and it looks to be many tickets still available in US. My friend will do the booking, the verify system was it only pre-sale?

Have a great concert you too ☺

P.S Dublin is fantastic like Copenhagen. 

On 2017-11-21 at 9:38 PM, yardie said:

I'm tending to agree. I recall in my late teens - this band released 'The Joshua Tree'. I recall hearing the first single lifted off the album - it was called 'With or Without You' (i know you know), strange sound n all that and thinking 'what the feck is this - bit feckin wierd - this isn't 'Pride', this isn't 'Homecoming' , where is 'Bad' #2? - what the feck is this? this is slow!!

Who recalls the first time they heard 'The Fly' as a first release off AB? Raised eyebrows? Always with U2, it wouldn't be the same U2 if they didn't pose the questions

I think this release is full of 'growers' - I base that only on what I've heard - this is going to be an absolutely cool album quite possibly their best since HTDAAB, perhaps exceed that.

Th'on 'With Or Without You' turned out not to bad after all.B)

There's a lot of U2 haters out there - humans hate successful longevity as a trait.

OK, as an honest U2 fan, No Line & SOI, whilst both containing great tracks, weren't critically acclaimed, and perhaps were perceived as weaker album releases - I struggle to buy into that. There is no such thing as a bad U2 album. There is such a thing as progress though. I believe this release will be progress.

In your 50's - you will never replicate your 20's or 30's - life unfortunately curtails that to some degree - not many better than U2 at giving it a damned good go!

Here's to 1st December!

Could not agree more.

About the U2 haters - They maybe buy all the tickets and resell to us for insane prices cause they got the SOI album in their beloved record collections for free.

Nah people can not be so cruel... ?

On 2/7/2018 at 9:20 PM, Manohlive said:

I am very fond of all the new albums save ATYCLB.  It's the only one I have thought was rather weak.  I have expressed that I love SOE.  I also loved SOI.  I've been interweaving songs from both in one listen. I'm really liking what I'm feeling.  I don't want to put it into words quite yet.  I think both work well together

I also think that both work well together - one of the things I like the most on SOE is that the song '13 (There Is A Light)' is a conscious variation-on-a-theme of 'Song For Someone' - if anyone were somehow in doubt that these two albums were meant to be taken as counterparts, this altered musical quotation would prove the point (beyond the nod to William Blake, that is).

Love it, love it, love it! :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dmway said:

I also think that both work well together - one of the things I like the most on SOE is that the song '13 (There Is A Light)' is a conscious variation-on-a-theme of 'Song For Someone'

I concur.  I love that part as well.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2018 at 3:11 PM, Njord69 said:

In your 50's

Comes wisdom if one has paid attention to life and the world around us.   I hope.  If not, I'm in for one heck of a crash.  :)

12 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Comes wisdom if one has paid attention to life and the world around us.   I hope.  If not, I'm in for one heck of a crash.  :)

Heh, but It was a quote that line from our wise friend yardie. 

I like most of what I have read from you Manohlive so you are also a wise man. ?

But let us talk about Bono and the boys being wise. 

I join you otherwise on that crash. Ha!

• Like 1

O.K. all. How many times have you heard this  "U2 are allright but their old stuff was better"   I have been listening to this shite for over 30 years now. People were saying this when the Joshua Tree was released. What I am trying to say is that any album , by any artist needs time to be listened to and settle in before any judgements are made. I accept that sometimes an album comes along once in a while that blows peoples socks off,but it is very,very rare. One day soi and soe will be the old stuff .

On 09/02/2018 at 8:14 PM, dmway said:

I also think that both work well together - one of the things I like the most on SOE is that the song '13 (There Is A Light)' is a conscious variation-on-a-theme of 'Song For Someone' - if anyone were somehow in doubt that these two albums were meant to be taken as counterparts, this altered musical quotation would prove the point (beyond the nod to William Blake, that is).

Love it, love it, love it! :)

They are brother and sister ,a bit like UF and JT but more so.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Njord69 said:

Heh, but It was a quote that line from our wise friend yardie. 

I like most of what I have read from you Manohlive so you are also a wise man. ?

But let us talk about Bono and the boys being wise. 

I join you otherwise on that crash. Ha!

Good point.  SOE is a gem.  I need to learn to take another look at the subject of the thread.  I'm a writer and I'm writing all day long.  I shall do my best to stay on point in here as well.  My comment was meant to be funny, not wise. 

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, zoodog1 said:

They are brother and sister ,a bit like UF and JT but more so.

Yes, I agree.

Actually, JT had two siblings: UF and R&H - yet, as with most literal and metaphorical "families", the two siblings themselves don't resemble each other very closely. :D And yet they have the same DNA in U2 themselves...

Who knew that U2 albums were tangible metaphors for life itself? (Well, obviously, all of us here do, but does the wider world always appreciate that? No - tragically no...)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dmway said:

Who knew that U2 albums were tangible metaphors for life itself? (Well, obviously, all of us here do, but does the wider world always appreciate that? No - tragically no...)

I really like what you said.  I like how you wrote it.  I like how you end it with a rhetorical yet literal question, only to answer it with an ampersand. How you did that comes across to me as very U2ish and quite apropos.  One of the things I love so much about this band is that I am aware of their numerous metaphors.  They make me think.  Then, I feel the groove and get so into it that I forget the message of the music as I'm feeling it organically.  A good example is Until The End of the World.  For the 360 tour...when Bono starts yelling, "Judas, Judas.", I was baffled.  I turned to my friend and asked, "Why the hell is he saying that?".   When The Edge starts the guitar riff...there's liftoff and I forget what the song is actually about.  I had not thought of its literal meaning for years.  I completely forgot.  In my grooving I started thinking about some person, at a party, that's dumping crap all over everyone.  That's what it meant to me.  Since 360-the literal meaning has returned and it's a kick ass song in a completely different manner even though it's the same.  That guitar riff remains.  I know I can look forward to it meaning something else, yet again, because it's one of the things that I think U2 does best.  I've never encountered this with another band in such a profound manner.

SOE-It's the Little Things and Landlady give me a similar feeling even though I've yet to discern their lyrical content.  It doesn't matter to me right now, so why not save it for later?   It's why I love SOE so much.  Some messages are obvious, however; it is such a multi-faceted gem that I'll be listening and discovering years from now.  imho.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Brilliant 2

On 1/29/2018 at 5:17 PM, Manohlive said:

Are you going to see them this tour?  Maybe something will click when you hear the new songs live.  Maybe not.  As we know, music is subjective.  The thing I love the most on the new album is how they take the Beatitudes and play on them with the realities of today's world.  Fortunately, I love the new album.  I hope something good comes from it for you too. (pun is not intended but it works?  lol)

And there's my lack of patience again....i've listened to SOE about 20 times over the weekend and I'm slowly getting it.  There are so many echos of previous albums here.  Really, i see SOE as not just the boy's experience showing but their musical experience.  

3 hours ago, rixchix said:

i see SOE as not just the boy's experience showing but their musical experience. 

I am very happy you are starting to enjoy it.  That does not mean I think because I enjoy it that it's good.  I'm happy you are receiving enjoyment.  Could you please, possibly, explain to me what you mean by what I've quoted?   I'd really like to know.

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

I am very happy you are starting to enjoy it.  That does not mean I think because I enjoy it that it's good.  I'm happy you are receiving enjoyment.  Could you please, possibly, explain to me what you mean by what I've quoted?   I'd really like to know.

I think the word 'experience' would naturally relate to their life experience...but, i think each song captures a certain sound from a previous album.

9 hours ago, rixchix said:

each song captures a certain sound from a previous album.

Cool.  Does Landlady remind you of anything previous?  I'd like to hear people's input. I don't hear any previous sound/music songs.  Am I missing past song(s)? 

Edited by Manohlive

calling someone a hater because they think a album like no line is poor is pathetic.I virtually love every track of every album they have made up till no line, very few tracks  i dislike if any.People like this would rave over a album full of fart sounds if it was u2 and obviously get upset hearing the truth that its not just their worst but a poor virtualy tuneless album.I dont rate soi either and thought the tour was the worst i have seen.Sure they sounded ok but played to many new poor songs like the no line tour and didnt like the stage set up. most of the time the band were somewhere else in the arena  i was in redzone.Enjoyed the joshua tree tour much more on a more traditional stage although they didnt sound quite as good.Some peoples views are blinded by their love for the band i am far from a hater my wife thinks i am obsessed i just say it as it is their music is probably 90% of my listening live stuff mainly and  the new album is  ok better than no line and soi but not as good as the rest .

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Cool.  Does Landlady remind you of anything previous?  I'd like to hear people's input. I don't hear any previous sound/music songs.  Am I missing past song(s)? 

The music of Landlady (to my ears, anyway) sounds unique - however, one of the things I think is really sweet on this album is that lyrically two songs (at least) couldn't be more about/to Bono's wife. The lyrics to "Landlady" and "You're The Best Thing About Me" are almost complete quotations from interviews over the years with Bono about his wife. The band allegedly toyed with the idea of naming AB "Adam" when he was photographed without the impediments of clothing - in a different way (obviously), the band could have considered entitling this album "Ali". (Although those less familiar with the band might have thought they were honoring a great heavyweight boxer...)

Yet another thing to like about the album. :)

• Like 1

I think Book of your Heart and Landlady are the two strongest songs on SOE. Both these songs sounds Unique like dmway saying and especially landlady is like they have not searched that long back for delivering something this good again. 

Songs that I have in mind are from the three albums before SOI. 

Sometimes you can't make it on your own (HTDAAB)

Walk On (ATYCLB)

Cedars of Lebanon (NLOTH)

If Landlady and Book of your heart will be performed on this tour they will be something special.

Cross fingers at least one is played.

?

On 2/8/2018 at 2:31 PM, Njord69 said:

the verify system was it only pre-sale?

It does not seem to be verified any longer.  There are great seats for Chicago still available.  I've seen great seats for other cities.  It did not check if I was verified or not.  I was searching and not purchasing.  I don't think verified enters into things any longer for the American leg of this tour.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2018 at 9:03 AM, phill pohl said:

People like this would rave over a album full of fart sounds

I remember seeing that interview with David Bowie talking about how he and Brian Eno would get new synthesizers and toss out the instructions.  He gets that cocky Bowie grin and says they were more interested in the crackles and farts of playing with the synths than not knowing what they were doing.  There must be farts in the live U2 music you love so much.  

rebel rebel...

Edited by Manohlive

Yet another thing I like about SOE...

I like how Bono won't hold back on taking the piss out of himself when he feels like it. Obviously, I'm referring to "The Showman" here. Of course, it's a wider criticism of the absurdities of celebrity in general, but he is certainly the specific target in this song. Many who reach the heights of fame such as he/they have wouldn't dream of doing such a thing, but I admire that Bono/U2 do.

Musically, it's a light-hearted song in a style they usually don't play in - here, kind of a mock reggae. As such, the song's sound and placement on the album is mildly reminiscent (for me, anyway) of "The Refugee" on 'War". Now, "The Refugee" was very of its time, very stereotypically "80s" - which made it such an odd song for them to do. While they were an 80s band at the time because they simply made music in that decade, they didn't often have the stereotypical sounds and styles in their songs that existed widely in other bands at the time. But, the song fit a purpose: yes, we're a serious band, but we can do stuff for fun too. It is this same motivation that I hear on "The Showman".

"The Showman" is a more substantive song; "The Refugee" always sounded a bit more disposable (I'm not sure they ever played it live, nor would I have really wanted to hear it back then...or now). But the m.o. for their inclusions on their respective albums is, IMHO, the same. Serious people like to have fun too. B)

8 hours ago, dmway said:

Serious people like to have fun too. B)

I like the fact that they've always joked about the absurdity of their fame.  I first noticed it with Achtung Baby and Zooropa and the tour(s).

• Like 1

I discovered something new in SOE-Love is Bigger:  I can't remember the words in the last part of the opening stanza.  Stop walking, start singing and stop talking?  I don't know.  I've been singing this song aloud and in my head while going about my day.  I switched the words around...stop singing, start walking and start talking?  I still don't know.  I noticed that with each different combination, the interchanged words, for me, take on a whole different direction and significance.  It can be about the same thing or something else. Same thing as I said about UTEOTW, only now it's half of an opening stanza.  I know what the song's about. I love this album.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

Another thing I like about this album is that they made the right choices (IMHO, of course) for which songs to include.

Just because a song is strong individually doesn't mean that it will necessarily fit in the larger context of the whole album. I remember when I first heard "Stateless" on "The Million Dollar Hotel" soundtrack. It was recorded during the ATYCLB sessions, but the band - correctly, in my view - didn't put it on the album. The band said in interviews at the time that they felt it just didn't fit, despite the song's being a good one. I really like the song, but I agree with the band's view that it was right to leave it off. ("Winter" during the NLOTH sessions is another example - great song, but didn't really fit with the flow of the album.)

The same thing has happened here with "Book Of Your Heart". It is indeed a very good song (the guitar playing reminds me a bit of Interpol, as does the whole song in general - musically anyway); however, despite its being strong individually, I don't know where they would have put it on the album where it would have sounded right, esp. if they had to take off a different song to do so. Great song, but better as an extra, IMHO.

They have played extra songs live on occasion - maybe we'll hear it someday anyway...

• Like 1

On 2018-02-03 at 4:51 PM, acdublin said:

Maybe others have said this but Bono's got to be close to the end of his paradox ration in SOE?!  U2 have always deployed paradox nicely but its frequency grates on me a little, even though I really like most of the songs... 

shooting stars, brighter as they're vanishing; how bad can a good time be; get out of you own way; you can only truly own what you give away; blessed are the bullies for one day they will have to stand up to themselves; when all is lost we find out what remains; we can't afford to be afraid of what we fear; this freedom it might cost you your liberty; see myself from a distance; the end is not coming, it's not coming, the end is here; the lies we know are almost true; I will win and call it losing; the darkness where we learn to see; the blackout, is this an extinction event we see?; you can hear the silence say; when you think you're done you've only just begun; are you tough enough to be kind; your heart has its own mind; are we tough enough for ordinary love; 

I really like this about his writing. Its not infrequently brilliant  

Language is interesting as it seems in its ...each if not every language~evolution from grunts and other guttural sounds to words and then grammatical logic ‘we’have established an organic need to be duelustic. 

Maybe it’s is because we fear words OR saying what we mean or need to say. 

At minimum, it’s better than being passive aggressive !! ?

• Like 3
  • Brilliant 1