hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

On 04/03/2018 at 2:48 AM, JCF said:

Um, yes, I recorded a version, or a few!! My friend and I sent in 5 videos total!!  2 40-year-old moms acting like teenagers for an afternoon, we had so much fun making them.  We joke sometimes that at least the band must be sitting around at night watching our videos because they love us so much. LOL. I am just waiting to be up there on the screen singing with the boys!  

That’s brilliant! - was worried it was just me!! I like the idea of the band watching them all - mine was hilarious- there’s a reason I’m not a professional musician (sadly ?). Hope you enjoy! X

I love the arc of these 2 records. Maybe it’s an age thing, but they seem to resonate with lots of things for me right now. I love hearing all the connections people are making. Keep them coming. 

19 hours ago, dmway said:

Yes, I remember seeing The Edge play with Muse at Glastonbury a few years back - that was they year that U2 were supposed to play there, but Bono had his bike accident not long before then; thus, they played there the following year

U2 missed glass after Bono’s back surgery IIRC.

the bike accident was after that.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

U2 missed glass after Bono’s back surgery IIRC.

the bike accident was after that.

Correct! I confused Bono's tragedies. :D

Back on topic: SOE is still a gem. :)

On 12/1/2017 at 4:50 PM, kitemaster said:

The Band should have taken a year off after the JTT2017 the album doesn't sound finished. Disappointed with it. Too mellow. No big guitar parts.

I Love SOE, but I agree that it seems rushed or not complete.... I don’t know- it seems something is missing but can’t articulate what....   it does seem there were a lot of “cooks in the kitchen” on this album...

Edited by hillpy2

On 3/10/2018 at 7:51 AM, peterferris8 said:

Don't think they will play again to be honest. However coloured our perception of the 2011 show (as diehard fans) was, it got a pretty mixed reception from a lot of critics and people who were there, and I think even the band themselves don't remember it so fondly. If it had gone the other way and been received in all quarters as a huge success, then they'd probably be playing this year, but the festival's taking a year off to let the land recover. 

All that said, the fact that they took The Joshua Tree tour to Bonnaroo in the US last year suggests they're not averse to playing festivals every once in a while - maybe next year they could do festivals in some of the places they haven't visited lately (Australia/New Zealand, Africa, Asia).

I remember it was a rainy evening and that took a bit of the shine off of it. Also, Bono was frustrated that the crowd was so far away from the stage. Yes - I remembered about this year's break for Glasto; when I said "touring cycle", I meant for the entire tour (i.e., this tour is going into 2019 and conceivably even 2020).

Yes - it would be good for them to go to the places they haven't gone to since the 90s. I hope they hit some/all of them.

On 3/10/2018 at 5:09 PM, hillpy2 said:

I Love SOE, but I agree that it seems rushed or not complete.... I don’t know- it seems something is missing but can’t articulate what....   it does seem there were a lot of “cooks in the kitchen” on this album...

I agree with the "too many cooks in the kitchen" comment. I always like it better when they limit input to two or three outside voices instead of more. For example, I was very glad to see Jacknife Lee and Steve Lillywhite producing again on this album, but I'd kind of like to see Ryan Tedder move on. Too much gloss on some tracks...

I'm not sure I agree with the rushed or incomplete opinions, though. This album was finished (in their eyes) a year before it was finally released - the 2016 election is what changed that and gave us the JT anniversary tour in its place. Now, I'm sure they worked on a few more things on it during the delay, but they were prepared for it to come out as a finished work in 2016. Also, IMHO, this is their most complete work, their most cohesive whole, since at least NLOTH, if not AB. I can't bring myself to listen to it without wanting to hear the whole thing in order.

But, just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, good music is in the ear of the listener. It still nice to talk about it all here. :)

• Like 3

I'm really looking forward to hearing these songs live now.

The arenas are going to explode with "The Little Things That Give You Away", and I am already looking forward to singing (loudly) along to "Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way" (among many others).

Any songs that anyone else is looking forward to live?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dmway said:

I'm really looking forward to hearing these songs live now.

The arenas are going to explode with "The Little Things That Give You Away", and I am already looking forward to singing (loudly) along to "Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way" (among many others).

Any songs that anyone else is looking forward to live?

Definitely "Little Things"! Also "Red Flag Day" - it has a driving sound that reminds me of their earlier stuff. And I can't wait to sing back and forth with Bono "You and I are, rock and roll!" Cheesy, I know but I think American Soul will get the place bumpin'. "Summer of Love" is another one - it's so dreamy and groovy. I think it would work well for a downtempo live song. I'm also hoping for some of the SOI tunes - I would lose my shite for "This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now".

Edited by Stellaria
  • Like 2

I'm probably in the minority in saying this:

It would be a dream come true if they played SOI start to finish...took a break...then came out and played SOE start to finish. I do think they are going to play heavily from SOE.  They just toured this past Summer.   They've both afforded and merited the right to do as they please with the setlist for this tour.  I'm taking liberty in using the word, 'merit'.  It's just a fan's opinion.  I doubt the promoter would be happy if they took this approach.  I seriously doubt the ones who don't go to every tour would like it either. I'm having a difficult time deciding which songs I could do without from SOE.  I think Landlady is a safe bet to be played.  I fear Red Flag Day might be skipped.  I'm not sure why.  It's going to be tough to not know of the setlist when I see them in Chicago.  I shall do my best, as I like the surprise.  How though?  How does one not look at the news on U2.com?  I need sedation until May 22, 2018.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

On 3/9/2018 at 5:09 PM, dmway said:

Yes, I remember seeing The Edge play with Muse at Glastonbury a few years back

After watching countless hours of Glastonbury on Palladia, I finally saw a documentary on the festival.  This American knew nothing of the history to Glastonbury.  It was very cool to watch that documentary; all the different mini-cities of campers and such. I had no idea about its history.  Very, very cool.  It was a well spent hour or two watching that documentary.  Seeing things like that almost makes me want to pay for cable again. Thank God for YouTube. SOE-Bono sounds great on that live indoor video for The Little Things., which I have been watching on YouTube. The band sounds great.  I love the guitar to that song.  The Edge skips a lot of it in lieu of keyboards and I still love it.  They sound incredible.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

After watching countless hours of Glastonbury on Palladia, I finally saw a documentary on the festival.  This American knew nothing of the history to Glastonbury.  It was very cool to watch that documentary; all the different mini-cities of campers and such. I had no idea about its history.  Very, very cool.  It was a well spent hour or two watching that documentary.  Seeing things like that almost makes me want to pay for cable again. Thank God for YouTube. SOE-Bono sounds great on that live indoor video for The Little Things., which I have been watching on YouTube. The band sounds great.  I love the guitar to that song. Than I see the Edge skip a lot of it in lieu of keyboards and I still love it.  They sound incredible.

Yes - Glastonbury, both the festival and the town/area , are very interesting. When I was living in England, I walked to St. Michael's Tower on top of Glastonbury Tor (a lengthy saunter - allow some time to make the climb), and the view from there is spectacular. Here's info on that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glastonbury_Tor

All the days of the (mostly) yearly festival are all over the BBC - it is a true cultural event. It's a very spiritual place; the actual town did get a bit New Age-y over time, but the older shops there still have the original feel - if you ever go, stick to those. Also, be sure to see the Chalice Well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalice_Well

On your earlier post, it would indeed be cool of they played SOI and SOE in one show consecutively, but that would have to be some kind of special fan-club show (yes, please, U2 - I/we would be up for that! :)

Yes - I want the tour ASAP too...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dmway said:

On your earlier post, it would indeed be cool of they played SOI and SOE in one show consecutively, but that would have to be some kind of special fan-club show (yes, please, U2 - I/we would be up for that! :)

I'll take that for my 2018 subscriber gift.  I'll even pay extra and I won't whine or bitch if it takes four or five years.  (respect to anyone upset about gifts)  I'm kidding about it all, however; I'd pay and wait patiently.  I wouldn't even need a download.  dmway-Thanks for the link.  I quoted you correctly this time or am I confused yet again?  :)

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

Think I've settled on my most peaceful moment of the album. Dim the lights, chuck the kids into the next room, take a gentle sip from your favourite drink out of your favourite glass, close your eyes and embrace the last 60 odd seconds of 'Landlady.' Just beautiful. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I'm probably in the minority in saying this:

It would be a dream come true if they played SOI start to finish...took a break...then came out and played SOE start to finish. I do think they are going to play heavily from SOE.  They just toured this past Summer.   They've both afforded and merited the right to do as they please with the setlist for this tour.  I'm taking liberty in using the word, 'merit'.  It's just a fan's opinion.  I doubt the promoter would be happy if they took this approach.  I seriously doubt the ones who don't go to every tour would like it either. I'm having a difficult time deciding which songs I could do without from SOE.  I think Landlady is a safe bet to be played.  I fear Red Flag Day might be skipped.  I'm not sure why.  It's going to be tough to now know of the setlist when I see them in Chicago.  I shall do my best, as I like the surprise.  How though?  How does one not look at the news on U2.com?  I need sedation until May 22, 2018.

You are so not alone with that. I happily sign every petition for a SOI or/and SOE in-a-row show. (or/and takes the pressure a bit out of it :D I would gladly die just with hearing SoE  live from start to finish)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I'll take that for my 2018 subscriber gift.  I'll even pay extra and I won't whine or bitch if it takes four or five years.  (respect to anyone upset about gifts)  I'm kidding about it all, however; I'd pay and wait patiently.  I wouldn't even need a download.  dmway-Thanks for the link.  I quoted you correctly this time or am I confused yet again?  :)

:D

Accurately quoted. :)

3 hours ago, yardie said:

Think I've settled on my most peaceful moment of the album. Dim the lights, chuck the kids into the next room, take a gentle sip from your favourite drink out of your favourite glass, close your eyes and embrace the last 60 odd seconds of 'Landlady.' Just beautiful. 

That is a lovely part of the album (along with very many parts of the album).

I'll have a Connemara with some ice, please - thank you. :)

Edited by dmway
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dmway said:
5 hours ago, yardie said:

That is a lovely part of the album (along with very many parts of the album).

I'll have a Connemara with some ice, please - thank you. :)

I'll take a Pimm's Cup, warm weather to suit it and SOE.  I love Landlady too, yardie.  That last part of it is like a wonderful short poem that sticks in my head and makes everything better.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 2

I'll think also that albums like SOI and SOE would be great playing live in its full. They have so strong lyrics and work best in a small arena also but that would not happen. 

It would drive ticket prices skyhigh and remember when Coldplay did something like that with Ghost Stories.. 

I hope they add some extra songs from SOE and 2-3 from SOI on the upcoming tour. 

Looking forward so much to 2:nd night in Chicago and thanks again Manohlive for the advise and then see them in Copenhagen. 

It may not be the last show if they go to the pacifics e.g australia cause I plan celebrate my 50:th birthday with a trip there in the end of 2018..

Looking forward to read all of your shared stories from this tour. 

SOI was so good. 

• Like 1

Added bonus for those living in the US...

I noticed around the Super Bowl that SOE was being played a lot in the parts before and after commercial breaks - this has now continued into the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament as well. So, lots of subliminal advertising for the new album. :)

Keep your ears open.

11 hours ago, yardie said:

Sometimes I heard my little 5 year old walking around singing this part. I love it, too.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dmway said:

Added bonus for those living in the US...

I noticed around the Super Bowl that SOE was being played a lot in the parts before and after commercial breaks - this has now continued into the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament as well. So, lots of subliminal advertising for the new album. :)

Keep your ears open.

Which ones were they playing?  I did not watch the Super Bowl this year.  I have yet to watch any of the NCAA,  Been watching soccer and hockey.  I have not noticed any SOE with them.

17 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

Which ones were they playing?  I did not watch the Super Bowl this year.  I have yet to watch any of the NCAA,  Been watching soccer and hockey.  I have not noticed any SOE with them.

"American Soul" is getting major airplay (a somewhat obvious choice - but why not?). There were several snippets played during the NFL playoffs.

The other ones were in the background and several weeks ago - so, I can't name them at the moment. 

Keep looking! :)

15 hours ago, dmway said:

"American Soul" is getting major airplay (a somewhat obvious choice - but why not?). There were several snippets played during the NFL playoffs.

The other ones were in the background and several weeks ago - so, I can't name them at the moment. 

Keep looking! :)

That is ironic considering Roger Gooddell's response to Trump's criticism of the players taking a knee during our national anthem. 

Edited by Manohlive

On 3/16/2018 at 12:27 AM, Manohlive said:

That is ironic considering Roger Gooddell's response to Trump's criticism of the players taking a knee during our national anthem. 

I suppose so, but the decision to play music during breaks would have been up to the networks - so, even if he did object, he wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

(P.S. You should have kept your original statement about Aaron Rodgers - instead of saying that he got injured, you should have called out the naughty Detroit Lions player who intentionally injured him. I'm not a Packers or a Lions fan, but that hit was unconscionable.)

Back on topic - everyone, listen to SOE for St Patrick's Day! :Joshua_Tree_02::Artificial_Horizon: (combine these two in your mind for a quasi-U2-themed "shamrock", as it were - this site needs more emojis...)

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!! :D

3 hours ago, dmway said:

(P.S. You should have kept your original statement about Aaron Rodgers - instead of saying that he got injured, you should have called out the naughty Detroit Lions player who intentionally injured him. I'm not a Packers or a Lions fan, but that hit was unconscionable.)

I took it out because I thought I was going too far.  It was the Minnesota Vikings.  I intensely dislike the Vikings.  I've always disliked them and I always will.  They've knocked us out of the playoffs too many times.  It was a very dirty hit.  As for my comment about Gooddell-I thought it was on topic, albeit a roundabout manner.  It was about my president yammering that the players should be fired for taking a knee during the national anthem.  Gooddell listened, assembled some owners of teams, and they shut it down by indirectly threatening players.  They played on people's emotions and won.  The players were protesting human rights violations.  We just had a police lady found not guilty for shooting an unarmed black person in the back and killing him.  He was on the ground.  It was very close to where I live.  The players were not turning their backs on the flag.  They were bowing a knee.  They have every right to turn their backs on the flag.  That's what being an American and living in freedom is about.  To me, that's what American Soul and GOOYOW are all about.  If the NFL did not want the music played, they could shut it down.  They are too stupidly blinded by money to discern the content of the lyric.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

I took it out because I thought I was going too far.  It was the Minnesota Vikings.  I intensely dislike the Vikings.  I've always disliked them and I always will.  They've knocked us out of the playoffs too many times.  It was a very dirty hit.  As for my comment about Gooddell-I thought it was on topic, albeit a roundabout manner.  It was about my president yammering that the players should be fired for taking a knee during the national anthem.  Gooddell listened, assembled some owners of teams, and they shut it down by indirectly threatening players.  They played on people's emotions and won.  The players were protesting human rights violations.  We just had a police lady found not guilty for shooting an unarmed black person in the back and killing him.  He was on the ground.  It was very close to where I live.  The players were not turning their backs on the flag.  They were bowing a knee.  They have every right to turn their backs on the flag.  That's what being an American and living in freedom is about.  To me, that's what American Soul and GOOYOW are all about.  If the NFL did not want the music played, they could shut it down.  They are too stupidly blinded by money to discern the content of the lyric.

You're right - I misidentified the team. It was a dirty hit regardless.

Agree on all the rest.

This is part of the reason that SOE is so resonant, i.e., the songs are really on-point for today's world.