Sign in to follow this  
hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

3 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Think the tour will return?  

There is definitely potential for this to be the case. With all the work and production put into the highly successful i+e tour I was surprised that it only visited North America and Europe. 

I would speculate that after the initial two legs of e+i it will visit the southern hemisphere before returning for another run in Europe and North America, but perhaps not earlier than 2020 to allow demand to grow again.

Furthermore I predict that ticket prices will remain at the current level and not increase. The amount of unsold seats at venues currently speaks for itself.

• Upvote 1

"Touch me to see if I'm real".........a sentiment that undoubtedly would be said by a sensitive hologram.

If you recall that lyric from an '80's band that was held back a bit because of their name, you might also speculate that when the tour hits the US, Dear Leader will be tweeting that U2 did the same and, in addition, "have no talent". "Losers".

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, economicformula said:

"Touch me to see if I'm real".........a sentiment that undoubtedly would be said by a sensitive hologram.

If you recall that lyric from an '80's band that was held back a bit because of their name, you might also speculate that when the tour hits the US, Dear Leader will be tweeting that U2 did the same and, in addition, "have no talent". "Losers".

Congratulations on your 1000 U2 post and happy easter to all U2 fans all over the world..   ?

Edited by Njord69
  • Like 2

I tried creating a "new topic" but it didn't work....  What about that photo on the SOE Album cover?! -  I know (now) who they are, but why and why are they portrayed as if in a mug shot and their clothes remind me of old Italian burial outfits?!....   any thoughts out there about it?

17 minutes ago, hillpy2 said:

I tried creating a "new topic" but it didn't work....  What about that photo on the SOE Album cover?! -  I know (now) who they are, but why and why are they portrayed as if in a mug shot and their clothes remind me of old Italian burial outfits?!....   any thoughts out there about it?

Actually, I'm glad you didn't make a new thread - your post is perfect here! :)

I have thought about that as well, i.e., why this picture for this album. OK - here are some ideas; I have no idea if they are what the band thought at the time. Last album had Larry's son with Larry protecting him (protecting the innocent, as it were), so obviously a continuing theme is here with the offspring of Bono and The Edge; no protecting parents this time, though - it'll be interesting to see if Adam's son makes the cover next time. For SOI, Larry's son is unclothed (at least on top), naked to the world; for SOE, the couple is clothed but still has bare feet - perhaps suggesting that even in the experience accrued as life goes on, there is still the original vulnerability.

Two echoes of old U2 themes in the SOE picture - you have a boy and a girl (reminiscent of their song "Boy/Girl"), and The Edge's daughter is wearing the helmet (perhaps the same one as the boy on "Boy" and "War") that we see on U2's first Best Of (1980-90). The blows of experience demanding protection, so to speak.

That's all I have come up with so far - it's not much, but I bet at least some of this is on the right track...

Edited by dmway
  • Like 2
  • Brilliant 1

The helmet should mean the battles that await you during the life I think (I can help you, but it's your fight, your fight)

• Like 4

On 3/28/2018 at 7:35 PM, hillpy2 said:

On 3/28/2018 at 7:52 PM, dmway said:

I have thought about that as well, i.e., why this picture for this album. OK - here are some ideas; I have no idea if they are what the band thought at the time. Last album had Larry's son with Larry protecting him (protecting the innocent, as it were), so obviously a continuing theme is here with the offspring of Bono and The Edge; no protecting parents this time, though - it'll be interesting to see if Adam's son makes the cover next time. For SOI, Larry's son is unclothed (at least on top), naked to the world; for SOE, the couple is clothed but still has bare feet - perhaps suggesting that even in the experience accrued as life goes on, there is still the original vulnerability.

Two echoes of old U2 themes in the SOE picture - you have a boy and a girl (reminiscent of their song "Boy/Girl"), and The Edge's daughter is wearing the helmet (perhaps the same one as the boy on "Boy" and "War") that we see on U2's first Best Of (1980-90). The blows of experience demanding protection, so to speak.

That's all I have come up with so far - it's not much, but I bet at least some of this is on the right track...

A "P.S." for what I wrote earlier...

I meant to include the thought that the two offspring together on SOE's cover also is evocative of "Adam & Eve" imagery as well: clothed, but not completely, sticking together despite life's trials, etc.

If the foundation for the images on the last two albums is religious, even metaphorically, then SOI's cover could conceivably be seen as a variation of the classic "Madonna & child" images, with Larry in the role of nurturing and protective parent (which I'm positive that he is in real life). In fact, the 'Madonna & child' image pre-dates Christianity by quite a bit - one of the things Dan Brown did get right in his many books.

I know there may be some who think this kind of analysis sounds OTT, but it is quite possible that the band thought about such things when choosing the images - they didn't end up there in these ways by accident.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dmway said:

A "P.S." for what I wrote earlier...

I meant to include the thought that the two offspring together on SOE's cover also is evocative of "Adam & Eve" imagery as well: clothed, but not completely, sticking together despite life's trials, etc.

If the foundation for the images on the last two albums is religious, even metaphorically, then SOI's cover could conceivably be seen as a variation of the classic "Madonna & child" images, with Larry in the role of nurturing and protective parent (which I'm positive that he is in real life). In fact, the 'Madonna & child' image pre-dates Christianity by quite a bit - one of the things Dan Brown did get right in his many books.

I know there may be some who think this kind of analysis sounds OTT, but it is quite possible that the band thought about such things when choosing the images - they didn't end up there in these ways by accident.

Thank you for responding!  I was also thinking along the lines of "Adam & Eve"...  it's such a simple, "cookie-cutter" folksy image,  and very somber, just  Black/ white,  ...   btw, did you mean to type OTT ??  or did you mean odd??   . . .  I don't think there's any wrong interpretation of the image -  it's just interesting to see thoughts on the subject!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hillpy2 said:

Thank you for responding!  I was also thinking along the lines of "Adam & Eve"...  it's such a simple, "cookie-cutter" folksy image,  and very somber, just  Black/ white,  ...   btw, did you mean to type OTT ??  or did you mean odd??   . . .  I don't think there's any wrong interpretation of the image -  it's just interesting to see thoughts on the subject!!

No, I'm meant OTT (i.e., over the top) - I'm just glad that you don't think it! :D

I'm sure there are those who might think that deep analysis of album covers is much ado about nothing. The covers for many bands certainly seem random. However, U2 doesn't do things willy-nilly; it's one of the things I like about them. IMHO, this image was chosen both to echo the image of SOI and to differentiate itself from it. U2 are fond of delivering messages via their images; the SOE cover is the latest in this series.

Edited by dmway
  • Like 2

Can't wait for the first show which I'll be at on May 2nd. That being said I wonder if there will there be a pre show wristband line for GA peeps like the past few tours? Driving to Tulsa from Dallas and want to make sure I am there early in the AM if they are. Cannot wait!

Damn, this tour is getting close!:Zoo_Guitar:B)

What are U2 cooking up? ....let's face it, they never disappoint live (even though we rarely get our wishlist setlists :)). Whilst I have to wait until Hallowe'en (;)), the thought of following the band through this forum yet again across late spring and all summer long - is truly exciting. 

Love this band. I genuinely feel for fans in  Australia though, hoping the band are seeing that and logistically hope they work out tour plans for the fan base there.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

I think the album is great, however this lettuce is also shaping up to be a gem........

2503741A-47DF-4A0A-BCF9-74B5B093799D.jpeg

You’ll be wearing that as a stud on your nose?!

I just read that the band be performing from inside a gigantic pear-shaped video screen, plus Bono's gonna be wearing rocket boots and he'll fly around the arena personally distributing CDs of the show. 

Okay, in hindsight I could've done better than that, but happy April Fools'!

Edited by peterferris8
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, peterferris8 said:

I just read that the band be performing from inside a gigantic pear-shaped video screen, plus Bono's gonna be wearing rocket boots and he'll fly around the arena personally distributing CDs of the show. 

Okay, in hindsight I could've done better than that, but happy April Fools'!

Awww...could you make this fact anyway? :D

...and Happy Easter as well, everyone! :Zoo_Angel:

What makes my story of how the shows will unfold truly believable is that I am writing it PAST the April 1 / Fools Day deadline for being silly.

From a reliable source, the boys find themselves dancing very very close to Spinal Tap ingenuity, laying still on stage, unknown to fans, in egg shaped capsules. The capsules slowly begin to crack, Larry the paternal father of the band, emerges first. Lots of indescribable, but very authentic sticky stuff dripping from his body.

He spreads his arms wide, like wings, twirls, dances/flies over towards the next capsule/egg. He beats ( ahum ) on it with his drum sticks. Calls out into the air, like a Mother bird might call its young, or when it suffers from a sore throat....that egg cracks further.

It's Bono. The drum beat continues. Sunday Bloody Sunday. He jumps out. One wing seems to unintentionally jam in the capsule before it comes off, seemingly amputated. Blood spurts from the theatrical wound. Larry flies around cawing in disbelief, panicked as to what to do. Then, miraculously, Edge emerges from his shell. He run/flies towards Bono, removes a guitar strap and uses it as a turnacut around Bone's severed arm.

Larry continues to dance and fly around the stage, whacking harder and harder on the last capsule, The whacking is also heard from the inside of the egg. It seems Adam might be stuck. Wants out but it just aint happening.

Larry whales, whacks, whips, smacks, begins to kick, smash and scream at it. It then opens. Adam, in facts opens it. He sticks his head up, looks around. Lays back down and closes it.

Apparently he never supported this opening performance in the first place. Larry reminds him how he sucked at bass when he first joined the boys and that that debt was never fully paid until recently ! Adam reluctantly gets up, takes his place amoung the birds. And for the first time in recent history, grabs the mic and begins to sing....

---------------------

I'm moved just reading this. And, its from an incredibly reliable source. In fact, a moderator hear at U2.COM ! Kidding.

Nothing makes me more enthousiastic than to hear other forummembers say that U2 will come back next year to prolong this year's tour. But U2 has got a contract with Live Nation that expires in 2020 and they are obliged to put out one more record. Am I right? Time seems to be running out.  Songs of Innocence was planned to be a trilogy at the start. We have got the second album now and some fans are calling the yet to be released third album " Ascent ".

These are my thoughts: in 2019 U2 will be making the new album. In 2020 U2 will release the new cd and do the "Ascent" tour.

I am very curious what U2 is going to negotiate with Live Nation because their contract expires within 2 years. That would predict a lot of what U2 wants to do after 2020.

U2 is still alive and kicking. Some fans thought "Ascent" would be their last album, but knowing Bono's yearning to be heard through his songs U2 will certainly make more music after 2020.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Apols if already seen.   Check this link out from U2Songs.com.    Eric Prydz incorporates holograms in his set.  The holograms appear above the crowd, mid-air. Pretty impressive stuff!

10 hours ago, bettydalton said:

Nothing makes me more enthusiastic than to hear other forum members say that U2 will come back next year to prolong this year's tour. But U2 has got a contract with Live Nation that expires in 2020 and they are obliged to put out one more record. Am I right? Time seems to be running out.  Songs of Innocence was planned to be a trilogy at the start. We have got the second album now and some fans are calling the yet to be released third album " Ascent ".

These are my thoughts: in 2019 U2 will be making the new album. In 2020 U2 will release the new cd and do the "Ascent" tour.

I am very curious what U2 is going to negotiate with Live Nation because their contract expires within 2 years. That would predict a lot of what U2 wants to do after 2020.

U2 is still alive and kicking. Some fans thought "Ascent" would be their last album, but knowing Bono's yearning to be heard through his songs U2 will certainly make more music after 2020.

I highlighted one section of what you wrote because I think that many U2 fans think the same thing, but I have never heard or read such a thing explicitly stated, i.e., the plan of a "Songs Of..." trilogy. The title "Songs Of Ascent" has been kicking around in the U2 camp since the NLOTH sessions - in fact, I think the book that came with the NLOTH deluxe edition has those words written down on paper somewhere in it. (UPDATE: I just found it - it's listed on a whiteboard along with phrases "No Line On The Horizon", "Pilgrims' Lack Of Progress", "House Of Abraham", "Thank You For The Day", and "Velvet (something illegible)" - these were putative titles for the NLOTH album itself.)

As virtually everyone knows, the title of the two most recent albums are taken from William Blake's illustrated edition(s) of his own poetry. (For those lurkers who may perhaps not have known that, here's a link which shows it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_of_Innocence_and_of_Experience

Now, is it possible someday that they may release an album called "Songs Of Ascent"? Of course it is. However, I have noticed on many message boards that certain thoughts take on a life of their own, then they are repeated - the sites where they are repeated accidentally become self-reinforcing echo chambers, and thus things eventually appear to be "facts" when they are merely opinions. Blake's SOI and SOE were always a duo, and, if U2 were influenced by that, logically, there wouldn't be a subsequent release with this theme.

But, hey - I'd love to be wrong! :D If there is an SOA, it would have to be at least partially done already, which means more new U2 music sooner - that, of course, is only excellent!

On your other point, yes, the end of the current LiveNation contract is coming. I hope they don't renew with them, simply because I think the decline in service on this site, vis a vis, concert tickets and the like, is directly attributable to them - I know many of you concur. However, I also know that there aren't too many "games in town" when it comes to management for large established bands. I'd like to think that they would take a page out of Pearl Jam's or Radiohead's playbook (or of their own playbook in the past, for that matter) and be more hands-on themselves, but is there the will within the U2 camp to revert to their former model? I hope so, but I am also dubious...

1 hour ago, Carlos said:

Apols if already seen.   Check this link out from U2Songs.com.    Eric Prydz incorporates holograms in his set.  The holograms appear above the crowd, mid-air. Pretty impressive stuff!

That is cool! U2 could do wonderful things with this technology!

I hope we see something along these lines. B)

On 3/28/2018 at 6:52 PM, dmway said:

SOI's cover get flack because people felt it icentuous. I have wondered if the two children, on SOE, standing on their own yet together, is symbolic of it being up to those kids to change the world.  The best parents ever can do is hope and pray.  It's up to them now.  For me, those two kids also support the last album cover.  They are clothed as the world adulterated the initial artistic expression of innocence The children now have worldly expreience. A war helmet seems apropos as they are ready for battle, should it be necessary.  They've been given the tools to say whatever it is they need.  The pic gives me hope without even considering any of the above.  It has a positive and chill vibe I can't really explain and I'm fumbling now.

I like a lot of your comments, dmway.  The helmet and War, etc.  I agree.  I had wondered about the lack of parent, more clothing, etc.  I concur.  I'm elaborating on your thoughts with my own. 

Have we done this with another album?  I don't recall a forum pondering the intricacies of ATYCLB or Vertigo.  I remember us discussing No Line quite a bit.  I remember us talking about the hidden gems on that album. (Breathe being one)  Have we ever picked apart an album and analyzed it as we are this one?  I don't think we did for SOI.  I could be wrong.  Anyhow...I can't wait to see the imagery they use with these songs when we see them live.

I super hyper max love this Be Attitudes concept.  I want to write one great and two good ones.  I don't care if it's used.  It just needs to be brilliant.  lmao.  They are already pulling us into the live show.  I am so excited for this tour.

Edited by Manohlive
sanity returned as it a few hours later and i had not just watched my national news.
  • Brilliant 1

Regarding their final album with LN....it means we get one more within two years and that is fricking awesome!

4 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

Regarding their final album with LN....it means we get one more within two years and that is fricking awesome!

Would a greatest hits 2000-2010 fulfill that obligation? If so we may get nothing more than a new song plus remixes.

4 hours ago, CorkVegan said:

Would a greatest hits 2000-2010 fulfill that obligation? If so we may get nothing more than a new song plus remixes.

I was wondering about that or a live album.  Who knows?   We are insatiable fans.  We are already pondering the next album. This one's tour is still naught but conjecture.   B)

Edited by Manohlive
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

1 hour ago, CorkVegan said:

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

I was wondering about that or a live album.  Who knows?   We are insatiable fans.  We are already onto the next album and this one's tour is still naught but conjecture.   B)

I hope it's a live album (w/ accompanying DVD/BluRay), but I fear it may be the Best Of - not that it's a bad idea; just an obvious one. I know they'll do their best to make it interesting.

I want the tour now! B)

On 4/4/2018 at 8:01 PM, Manohlive said:

Have we done this with another album?  I don't recall a forum pondering the intricacies of ATYCLB or Vertigo.  I remember us discussing No Line quite a bit.  I remember us talking about the hidden gems on that album. (Breathe being one)  Have we ever picked apart an album and analyzed it as we are this one?  I don't think we did for SOI.  I could be wrong.  Anyhow...I can't wait to see the imagery they use with these songs when we see them live.

I don't remember doing this with other albums. I was not as active here as I am now so maybe we did, but I have been more active the past few months here than ever before because of this thread!  And because this album has given me so much more to think and feel about than any other since Achtung Baby, but I was only 16 when that came out and really couldn't appreciate its depth of feeling and experience like I can now with SOE.  

• Like 1