Sign in to follow this  
hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

On 5/6/2018 at 11:11 AM, Manohlive said:

I've been watching their live release of The Little Things on Youtube.  It's not the concert one.  It's the live one where they are inside a house or studio or something.  Bono sounds great as do all of them.  Bono sounds like he is in such good voice.  How many bands could do this?  Pearl Jam is the first that comes to mind but not many.  Add the Little Things....PLEASE.  We love it.

I know which one you mean - it's a fantastic video. They recorded it for a Spotify session; they also did a cover of Marvin Gaye's What's Going On in the same session.

3 minutes ago, peterferris8 said:

I know which one you mean - it's a fantastic video. They recorded it for a Spotify session; they also did a cover of Marvin Gaye's What's Going On in the same session.

What's the link for that? I'd like to see that too!

12 minutes ago, dmway said:

You have not seen it dmway?   Wow.  I watch this video all the time.  It's one of my faves.  Here you go:

I have no right to ask this, however; please, please please play this AND The Little Things in Chicago?  If it's the final night delicacy you give us then so be it.  I need to to hear them live.  Grazie.

Edited by Manohlive

Just now, Manohlive said:

You have not seen it dmway?   Wow.  I watch this video all the time.  It's one of my faves.  Here you go:

I have no right to ask this, however; please, please please play this in Chicago.  If it's the final night delicacy you give us then so be it.  I need to to hear this live.

I know about this one! ?

I was asking about TLTTGYA!  (This is a good video, though...)

9 minutes ago, dmway said:

The Little Things: 

What's Going On: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dmway said:

I know about this one! ?

I was asking about TLTTGYA!  (This is a good video, though...)

That's funny.,  I'm seeing double today.  The dots did not connect on this one.  It did give me the chance to plead for Wild Horses for Chicago.  Does anyone know where they are playing that live version of Little Things/What's Going On?   Is there a name for that show or gig or whatever one calls it.  It's wonderful.  They sound so good.  I'd like to see the whole thing.

5 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

That's funny.,  I'm seeing double today.  The dots did not connect on this one.  It did give me the chance to plead for Wild Horses for Chicago.  Does anyone know where they are playing that live version of Little Things/What's Going On?   Is there a name for that show or gig or whatever one calls it.  It's wonderful.  They sound so good.  I'd like to see the whole thing.

It's at Neptune Valley studios in Los Angeles, they recorded those tracks for a Spotify session, so the audio is available to listen to on...yes, you guessed it, Spotify! 

Edited by peterferris8
  • Thanks 1

peterferris8:   Many thanks. Did they just play those two songs?  

Just now, Manohlive said:

peterferris8:   Many thanks. Did they just play those two songs?  

I think so. Still, two really good performances, and yet more proof that The Little Things should be added to the EI setlist.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, peterferris8 said:

I think so. Still, two really good performances, and yet more proof that The Little Things should be added to the EI setlist.

Thank you and I concur!

I've also just remembered there's this version they did on Jimmy Kimmel in between US dates last year. It's also the first time Bono sings the lyrics that end up on the album ("All my thoughts are so reckless and all my innocence has died" as opposed to "All my tasks are so thankless" and "When the painted glass shatters..." as a opposed to repeating "I'm full of anger and grieving..."). 

Edited by peterferris8

Aaaaand just for the sake of it here's the version I saw them play at Twickenham last year. It's not perfect - Bono's voice broke a couple of times towards the start and Larry was a bit choppy when he initially came in but still an emotional experience. 

Edited by peterferris8
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all those links!

I hope they pull out "Little Things" at some shows too - I've already been vocal for a while about the fact that I think it's one of the finest songs they've ever written...and I'll say it again now!

TLTTGYA is one of the finest songs they've ever written! ?

Edited by dmway
fixed dangling modifier

Quite happy with the lack of JT songs on this tour, the band toured it last year, so why would they do more of it  again. There comes a point (and as good as that intro to 'streets' is, or as good as that 'shine like the stars' moment was during WOWY) when you want to hear more of the current / other past material.

It reminded me of the switch from JT to AB period, and that vox pop that featured in the AB/ Zoo tour promos - 'ya can't keep playing the same old stuff to the same old people' (or words to that effect) - it's happening again, only this time, we're all about 25 years older than back then!

Look forward to some set list changes as the tour goes on though.

Absolutely starting to love the live version of Blackout, personally struggled with that album track initially - it's my 'Bullet' re-visited indeed, a generation on!?

Not sure the AR stuff is my cup of tea, though the app is on the phone regardless. I'm guessing it will be an 'experience' I probably forget to engage in after a few pints in Belfast bar when my chance to see the tour comes around.

Big fan of Edge 'outside left' and Adam 'outside right' (or the other way around, dependent on whether you're looking from or at the stage) for the performance of Pride - up clos(er) n personal to the fans - nice move.

Onwards we go to the next city.

Wish list?? Drop in a wee 'Please', 'Do you feel Loved' or 'All I want is You' perhaps - but like that the band are finishing up thus far with ' Love is Bigger' - it's a great track, and can't wait to hear it live.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dmway said:

Thanks for all those links!

I hope they pull out "Little Things" at some shows too - I've already been vocal about the fact that I think it's one of the finest songs they've ever written for a while...and I'll say it again now!

TLTTGYA is one of the finest songs they've ever written! ?

No worries! I'd honestly say The Little Things is now in my top 20 U2 songs. The first time I listened to SOE was on the train home. I remember enjoying the album as I usually enjoy any U2 album up to Summer of Love, then (this may seem weird) being really disappointed with Red Flag Day and The Showman. At that point I thought the album was heading downhill. Then The Little Things That Give You Away came on...and I was left in a state of emotion no other song released last year has left me in apart from Before Me by Arcane Roots and Nobody Else Will Be There by The National. I was crying (properly blubbering) on the train. It's easily one of the best songs they've ever written, up there with One, Streets, Walk On (however tainted that song now may be following Suu Kyi's inaction over the Rohingya crisis), Sometimes You Can't Make It, Iris, etc. I'll be gutted if they don't play it on this tour at least once.

• Thanks 1

Heck, at this point I feel like we should just do what the folks at the U2 Interference forum have done and make an appreciation thread dedicated entirely to The Little Things did. I'm welling up even thinking about that song right now.

14 minutes ago, yardie said:

Quite happy with the lack of JT songs on this tour, the band toured it last year, so why would they do more of it  again. There comes a point (and as good as that intro to 'streets' is, or as good as that 'shine like the stars' moment was during WOWY) when you want to hear more of the current / other past material.

It reminded me of the switch from JT to AB period, and that vox pop that featured in the AB/ Zoo tour promos - 'ya can't keep playing the same old stuff to the same old people' (or words to that effect) - it's happening again, only this time, we're all about 25 years older than back then!

Look forward to some set list changes as the tour goes on though.

Absolutely starting to love the live version of Blackout, personally struggled with that album track initially - it's my 'Bullet' re-visited indeed, a generation on!?

Not sure the AR stuff is my cup of tea, though the app is on the phone regardless. I'm guessing it will be an 'experience' I probably forget to engage in after a few pints in Belfast bar when my chance to see the tour comes around.

Big fan of Edge 'outside left' and Adam 'outside right' (or the other way around, dependent on whether you're looking from or at the stage) for the performance of Pride - up clos(er) n personal to the fans - nice move.

Onwards we go to the next city.

Wish list?? Drop in a wee 'Please', 'Do you feel Loved' or 'All I want is You' perhaps - but like that the band are finishing up thus far with ' Love is Bigger' - it's a great track, and can't wait to hear it live.

I have no idea why anyone is complaining about the lack of Joshua Tree tracks. Like, okay, I feel weird about the prospect of seeing a U2 gig where they don't play Streets, but honestly? There have been multiple opportunities for any U2 fan in Europe or the US to see them in the last 3 years with Joshua Tree songs in the setlist, so I don't get why they're upset. And for me, about to see them for the fourth time, this setlist is a dream. All Because of You, The Ocean, Acrobat, Staring At the Sun, Wild Horses (providing they haven't ditched it)...if they added Sometimes You Can't Make It..., Walk On, Gone, Last Night On Earth, Please, or Dirty Day I'd die happy.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, dmway said:

I think it's one of the finest songs they've ever written

I concur.  I think it may be the best song since Achtung Baby.  It's got that extra extra extra bit of whatever it is that makes them so great.  The Edge sounds so good on the guitar.  Some don't like the new album.  One person who I respect thinks it full of old sounds.  He presented a very well written argument which I can see being valid for some.  I love the revisiting of past sounds and making them new.  

17 minutes ago, yardie said:

I don't like bringing my phone into a show.  I'm there to escape it, not embrace it.  I want to forget it and fly.  I love this band because they make me fly.  Augmented reality is a cool concept but using phones to light up venues has gotten gimmicky.  I fear AR can easily do the same.  That being said, I don't see them using it much more than this tour....that's just conjecture.  Who knows?

I was astonished to hear the screen has 15Xthe resolution of the screen for SOI.  I'm really looking forward to that.  They must have built a new screen or replaced the lighting on the frame.  I'd love to hear the backstory to that.  Perhaps it will be on the bluray.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, yardie said:

Wish list?? Drop in a wee 'Please', 'Do you feel Loved'

That would be awesome.  It would also be the point in the show where those who see them once or twice either go to the vendors/bathroom or start talking because why would anyone want to hear this?   I'm laughing now but it's so irriating when it happens.  I still remember Bobcat Godwaith's joke about some dude saying, Bono must get so much (insert sexual explicative).  It still makes me laugh because it's so true.

I need to add an experience:  Since the release of SOE, for me and a few others I've noticed....everything has become so this and so that and so so something else.  So is not a word I normally use for emphasis.  I see I wrote it and I cringe but it's funny.  SOE is so freakin' awesome.I cannot help myself so.....

Edited by Manohlive

If there's one thing I'll always admire about U2, it's that they view gigs as more than just getting up and playing a bunch of songs. For me as someone who's been playing in a band for a couple of years, it's inspiring on another level.

Just now, peterferris8 said:

If there's one thing I'll always admire about U2, it's that they view gigs as more than just getting up and playing a bunch of songs. For me as someone who's been playing in a band for a couple of years, it's inspiring on another level.

When do you think they first starting doing what you say and acting on gigs being more?   I'm curious.

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

I concur.  I think it may be the best song since Achtung Baby.  It's got that extra extra extra bit of whatever it is that makes them so great.  The Edge sounds so good on the guitar.  Some don't like the new album.  One person who I respect thinks it full of old sounds.  He presented a very well written argument which I can see being valid for some.  I love the revisiting of past sounds and making them new.  

I don't like bringing my phone into a show.  I'm there to escape it, not embrace it.  I want to forget it and fly.  I love this band because they make me fly.  Augmented reality is a cool concept but using phones to light up venues has gotten gimmicky.  I fear AR can easily do the same.  That being said, I don't see them using it much more than this tour....that's just conjecture.  Who knows?

I was astonished to hear the screen has 15Xthe resolution of the screen for SOI.  I'm really looking forward to that.  They must have built a new screen or replaced the lighting on the frame.  I'd love to hear the backstory to that.  Perhaps it will be on the bluray.

I laughed out loud when I heard about Willie Williams contemplating (tongue in cheek) about crashing people's phones, or sucking the battery life dry out of them, but for the onslaught of lawsuits. So funny. So they settled for AR. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, peterferris8 said:

Heck, at this point I feel like we should just do what the folks at the U2 Interference forum have done and make an appreciation thread dedicated entirely to The Little Things did. I'm welling up even thinking about that song right now.

Hmmm...that is an idea. I had a pondering about a single word in that song that, given on how one takes it, changes the potential meaning of it. Let's wait for a pause in the shows before such an endeavor - how does that sound? :Zoo_Angel:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Manohlive said:

When do you think they first starting doing what you say and acting on gigs being more?   I'm curious.

For me it seemed to be Zoo TV.

7 hours ago, peterferris8 said:

For me it seemed to be Zoo TV.

For me it was when Bono used the mobile spotlight so it shone on all the different sections of the venues.  I first saw it in Rattle and Hum.  To my knowledge, no one had ever done that before.  It brought whomever was way up in the nosebleeds into the show.  I also agree it was Zoo Tv.  Nothing had ever been done like the before either.  I think Zoo Tv defined modern rock concerts.  There's been nothing like it since.  Ex President George W. Bush was a dummy not to answer the phone.  He claimed he did.  I remember he did not.  Perhaps he did.  Who has the cajones to call the president of any country, leave alone one of the larger ones, every single night, besides U2?  I still marvel at how clever it was.  I think of that clip where they pick ofnPhil Collins.  I wonder if they were equally as inebriated, before Zoo Tv.  when someone decided they should call the President of America.  It still makes me laugh.  I never heard the backstory to it. I still wonder when I think of it.   

Edited by Manohlive