Jump to content
hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

Recommended Posts

I keep recognising links between tracks on SOI & SOE that I hadn't made before. It was only recently that I finally made the connection between California and Summer of Love. Just yesterday I also finally realised that Volcano and The Little Things are two sides of the same conversation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, peterferris8 said:

I keep recognising links between tracks on SOI & SOE that I hadn't made before. It was only recently that I finally made the connection between California and Summer of Love. Just yesterday I also finally realised that Volcano and The Little Things are two sides of the same conversation.

Oh wow thank you, I’ll have to listen to those together. When the album first came out I listened to the songs with shared lyrics back-to-back (I thought Iris/Lights of Home were incredible together) but I hadn’t thought about Volcano and Little Things. 

I recently rewatched the Paris DVD and hearing Bono say before Every Breaking Wave that he didn’t know if that couple made it or not made me think of that song and Red Flag Day being connected. (Probably everybody knew that and I’m just slow on the uptake, but I’m still glad I got it cause it makes both songs richer to me)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One year in and I, too, have not retired SOE. It's still one of my favorite albums to listen to, and often. It still feels like a shimmering, beautiful gift.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Music video for Red Flag Day being premiered tonight apparently as part of the 24 Hours of Reality event regarding climate change.

  • Thanks 1
  • Brilliant 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have moved onto older U2 stuff, however; I keep coming back to SOE.  The four songs I listen to the most now are:

You're The Best Thing.  Get Out of Your Own Way.  The Little Things and Landlay.   I move onto other artists only to remember I forgot 13.  I now love 13 as a permanent part of my favorite late night, all mellow and cozy before bed playlist.

  • Like 1
  • Brilliant 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

THANKS TO YOU ALL FOR A GREAT U2 YEAR. Wouldn't be the lads if they didn't do a wee XMAS EVE busking session in Grafton St. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL U2 FANS across the globe. #Love Is Bigger....

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Merry Christmas my U2 friends and a happy new year. 

I sell Christmas Trees on the Island in the Baltic Seas where I live. 

Of all trees there was one that stood out and it bringed back some beloved memories from one special tour.. 

The Joshua Tree - 30 Years

We have snow and it stands beautiful in front of my house. I think of putting yellow led lights on it... 

💕🎶💕🎶

/P

 

 

_20181225_205959.JPG

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy New Year!!Late but still happening! My theme song for last year was certainly Get Out of Your Own Way...She has...🎼🎶🎤

I'll have to stay with it for this year as it's been working so well in my life..🔐💡🌌

Much Appreciated🙏

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I love how much this album has real staying power - I never tire of listening to it.

Going forward, I’m going to try to listen to SOI more in conjunction with it, i.e., to get the whole feel of the full 2-album project. Once the DVD/BluRay for e&i is released, I’ll watch both concerts consecutively too. I want to get more complete feel of the whole concept, if I can.

By coincidence, I have also been reading “Fearful Symmetry” by the wonderful mythologist/scholar, Northrop Frye. It is a very insightful discussion of William Blake’s original poems, including “Songs of Innocence and Experience”. It’s wonderful to read it in conjunction with listening to these albums. I’ll have to revisit Blake’s actual writings/pictures themselves soon too. I haven’t looked at either in a while.

 

Edited by dmway
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 1:25 PM, dmway said:

Yes, I love how much this album has real staying power - I never tire of listening to it.

Going forward, I’m going to try to listen to SOI more in conjunction with it, i.e., to get the whole feel of the full 2-album project. Once the DVD/BluRay for e&i is released, I’ll watch both concerts consecutively too. I want to get more complete feel of the whole concept, if I can.

By coincidence, I have also been reading “Fearful Symmetry” by the wonderful mythologist/scholar, Northrop Frye. It is a very insightful discussion of William Blake’s original poems, including “Songs of Innocence and Experience”. It’s wonderful to read it in conjunction with listening to these albums. I’ll have to revisit Blake’s actual writings/pictures themselves soon too. I haven’t looked at either in a while.

 

What a great reference. I'll look for it at the library, then see about an interlibrary loan.

It's reassuring to have songs to match the emotional complexity of contemporary issues, and also have perspective of the relationship of the human condition. Poetry as a continuum on the evolution of the human soul.

There I go again, overthinking...

The DVD might be released around my birthday. It will be a nice present for myself.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listening to Summer of Love and Red Flag Day right after The Blanket of Night by Elbow. The Blanket of Night came out on their album The Take Off and Landing of Everything in 2014 and touches on the same things - it's about a refugee couple on a boat sailing away from whatever hell they've left behind to a new home. Turns it works well when followed by Summer of Love and Red Flag Day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a reminder...

 

I still love this album! :HMTMKMKM_Bono_02::HMTMKMKM_Edge_02::HMTMKMKM_Adam_02::HMTMKMKM_Larry_02:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2019 at 1:31 AM, dmway said:

Just a reminder...

 

I still love this album! :HMTMKMKM_Bono_02::HMTMKMKM_Edge_02::HMTMKMKM_Adam_02::HMTMKMKM_Larry_02:

...and I just listened to SOE again today.

Just a lovely piece of music! 😎

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder what songs will be played from SOE on the Austro-Asian tour coming up.

 

TLTTGYA, The Blackout, Lights Of Home...the mind boggles...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ye know what - whilst it's not umph U2 - Love is bigger remains a fabulous track for me on the last album - reflective, uplifting - everything you want from the band if you've followed them for 'a while'

In the vein of 'All I want is You' 20 years ago.

If the confirmations come through for this tour, I might even attempt travel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It's nice to see this thread come alive again.  I think Lights of Home is a universal song. I'd like to hear it in the new tour. Blackout was a roof blower indoors.  It would be awesome in a stadium.   I'd love to hear them do You're The Best Thing, full on electric, and go straight into Get Out Of Your Own Way. I'd be surprised if they did not do Love Is Bigger. My first choice, as a fan, would be 13.  I can't imagine having written these songs and deciding which ones to use and which ones to leave out when it's been since Vertigo that so many have been able to see them live. .

Edited by Manohlive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm listening to SOE right now.  It's been a rough few days.  This cd is making me feel so much better.  Statues fall....Blackout is playing right now.  My head is banging even thought it's pounding.   Don't you ever doubt the light the light that we can be.    This album is like the glittering object in a story by F. Scott Fitzgerald, only they live happily ever after. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2019 at 1:27 AM, Manohlive said:

I'm listening to SOE right now.  It's been a rough few days.  This cd is making me feel so much better.  Statues fall....Blackout is playing right now.  My head is banging even thought it's pounding.   Don't you ever doubt the light the light that we can be.    This album is like the glittering object in a story by F. Scott Fitzgerald, only they live happily ever after. 

I always listen to U2 when things are crap, it really does help, doesn’t change things from being crap but does lift me inside to help me battle on. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, KEV ANGELL said:

I always listen to U2 when things are crap, it really does help, doesn’t change things from being crap but does lift me inside to help me battle on. 

It also sounds even more awesome when things get better after the fall.  I love this album. It's still fresh.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Manohlive said:

It also sounds even more awesome when things get better after the fall.  I love this album. It's still fresh.  

Yes, that’s another thing that has really impressed me with SOE: its staying power. I love it as much as I did in December 2017; frankly, I love it even more.

The only other album I can say that about in the same way is AB. Coincidentally, these two albums (along with NLOTH) are the only albums where I feel like I haven’t listened to them properly unless I listen to them in their entirety in one sitting.

Therefore, I guess, in my own personal reckoning, I have to call it a classic U2 album. If I’m placing it with AB (and I am), it must be a classic.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dmway said:

he only other album I can say that about in the same way is AB

exactamundo.  They feel like bookends to me, and now we'll see what they do next.  ⬆️   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...