Sign in to follow this  
hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

36 minutes ago, bettydalton said:

I certainly dont believe this cd is their swan song. But I do believe it is their worst PRODUCED cd since October. Get Lanois back as producer. Or let's just wait till they play these songs live. Live changes everything for U2's songs. Some new songs I thougt were really ok played live. U2 put so much time in thinking about this cd. They rerecorded everything. Sometimes too much fiddling is just too much! U2 sounds like a boyband now, I just cant get used to it, even after 15 times listening. Bono's voice is artificially hightened with a vocoder. That's boyband stuff. Or Coldplay stuff... Why did they do that?

SOI only spoke to me after I saw the production live. The only song I connected with was Iris.  Then after the concert  I couldn't put CD away. It was a story & so well conveyed. I think this  will be the same if your not connecting to it yet. Btw I hope they never sound like Coldplay. Would break my heart.

Edited by Grace12
Misspelled words

18 minutes ago, sam52 said:

I LOVE your description of unraveling the messages in  a U2 song. So true.

6 minutes ago, Grace12 said:

Me too! Is this why I can listen to With or Without you, &  One everyday for over 25 years & still get chills ???

I my God.....it is so great to be validated and understood! It's like you both read my mind! I was going to also state I get "chills" up my spine listening to some 25-30 year old U2 songs!  I still find something 'new' to discover in many U2 songs....amazing.... like classical paintings...they have a immortal soul that keeps living on....generation after generation. U2 fans are a unique collection of individuals.....we wear our hearts on our sleeves.....we think way deeply.....and not really parallel with the world....but on a different plane.....(much like our favorite 4 people in the world)

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Grace12 said:

SOI only spoke to me after I saw the production live. The only song I connected with was Iris.  Then after the concert  I couldn't put CD away. It was a story & so well conveyed. I think this  will be the same if your not connecting to it yet. Btw I hope they never sound like Coldplay. Would break my heart.

Hey listen......after nearly 35 years being a U2 fan....it's like comparing one child in the family to another....or having a particular 'favorite'......but, truly it is not fair to an artist....especially a band like U2 with such a diverse resume.

U2 is about experimenting.....or what is resonating, inspiring and shaping the sounds/creative process in their heads.

Do I think SOE thus far is a masterpiece? Objectively.....NOOOO! But, I will be honest in saying U2's worst is most bands' best.....

It's so hard to be ''great"...when you reached a  creative level of genius over and over.....where do you go from there? How does U2 compete with themselves and sustain that level? being honest with themselves....? create to create? Most artists do.....and get eaten alive through out their lives.....just for exposing their heart/soul that most of us would ever have the courage to do......

Edited by unforgettableu2

I just finally listened to the album, start to finish, totally uninterrupted after my kids were in bed, on headphones. Wow. It got me. It surprised me and delighted me, which is what I hope for in a U2 album.  it even made me cry, which has not happened in a long time.  I love the conversation between it and SOI.  It's so close to the album I have been waiting for ever since AB and Pop.  Summer of Love, Showman, Blackout, Landlady are stand-outs for me.  Oh my goodness I can't wait to listen more.  And the three shows I have tickets to are not going to be enough.  

34 minutes ago, Grace12 said:

Me too! Is this why I can listen to With or Without you, &  One everyday for over 25 years & still get chills ???

Yes....the irony is that with or without you was such a popular song....yet, still remains so new, intimate and beautiful......

I feel the same about All I want is you.....Bad....ect...

Edited by unforgettableu2

26 minutes ago, unforgettableu2 said:

I my God.....it is so great to be validated and understood! It's like you both read my mind! I was going to also state I get "chills" up my spine listening to some 25-30 year old U2 songs!  I still find something 'new' to discover in many U2 songs....amazing.... like classical paintings...they have a immortal soul that keeps living on....generation after generation. U2 fans are a unique collection of individuals.....we wear our hearts on our sleeves.....we think way deeply.....and not really parallel with the world....but on a different plane.....(much like our favorite 4 people in the world)

Amen!

42 minutes ago, Grace12 said:

Why do I love the fact that Eli & Sian are on this cover & holding hands. It gets me everytime I look at it.  Love everything about it. Waiting for my CD to arrive to listen, read lyrics, & get to know these songs. Tried to sneak a peek today on Spotify. Red Flag spoke to me, being a beach lover I love when Bono sings about& refers to the Ocean. His voice on Every Breaking Wave(radio edit) just blows me away !!! Great day for U2 & their fans❤️

I thought the SAME thing....Ha!!!!!!! I was thinking about how close the U2 family is....picturing their gathering.....so normal...yet, not normal being kids of famous Rock Stars. I pictured Bono in sweat pants....but still managing to be 'cool'.....and maybe Eli & Sian stealing a kiss or two. They make a cute couple.....it would be keeping the u2 ties forever tethered.....

I have been a fan since my Irish father would take me back home to visit my relatives in Ireland and I first heard Boy as a youngin, and I must say I happily cannot disagree with you more.  This album has moved me so many times today.  Tears were flowing as 13 came on to beautifully close out this work of art.   The fact this band can still move me 30+ years later like they did when I was a teenager is to me, phenomenal. I absolutely love this album, rooftop to the basement.

Thanks for your review, Peterferris.  I just finished listening to it all for the first time through from start to finish.  I LOVE it.  I agree with you on many of your positive comments.  I was at one of the JT tour shows, maybe two, where they closed with Little Things and I thought it was a yawner, then I sat and really listened to it tonight and - yup, same here, - tears.  Summer of Love surprised me, sonically, and I love it.  I lOVED the Showman.  I love when Bono is wryly self-aware and vulnerable at the same time. It gets to me.  Landlady - beautiful.  Blackout - a rocker I have loved since we first tasted it.  I agree about the prologue feeling of Love is All We Have Left.  Feels like it could have come right off of Passengers, don't you think?  American Soul - I'll be honest, I prefer Volcano, it was one of the tracks on SOI I really loved, but it's fine.  I agree about You're the Best Thing - one of the weakest on this album, and it's still a great song!  I really like Red Flag Day, it took me back to war, I'd like to strip it down and hear it raw like the War days.  I'm feeling so grateful for this album. I always hope for so much on each U2 album.  Honestly, I always hope for being bowled over, knocked out flat, like I was at age 17 by Achtung Baby but I'm not sure that will ever happen again - but this SOE experience so far comes closest.

Have listened in the dark to 14 new albums on launch day (3 times before launch day actually!) and can safely say that this is appalling stuff. Lights of home for example is simply embarrassing. It is obvious that this is now just the band playing support to Hewson's egotistical writing.

After 38 years, am still happy to go to concerts but if this is all that they can now write, then keep it to greatest hits and forgotten gems. Stop the embarrassment! ?

On 11/28/2017 at 4:09 AM, brendo1704 said:

deliver.png

Thank you for this. I was dumb enough to pre-order the album and now can't enjoy it for a week. I'm tempted to check out the leak but feel it would ruin the "experience" for me. 

12 minutes ago, doppers said:

Have listened in the dark to 14 new albums on launch day (3 times before launch day actually!) and can safely say that this is appalling stuff. Lights of home for example is simply embarrassing. It is obvious that this is now just the band playing support to Hewson's egotistical writing.

After 38 years, am still happy to go to concerts but if this is all that they can now write, then keep it to greatest hits and forgotten gems. Stop the embarrassment! ?

I've listened to most of the newly launched U2 in the dark as well........the days when you cracked out the vinyl from it's sleeve with almost a sexual urgency(ha)....... a magical feeling. I miss that.....

So, you think U2's new music is a appalling embarrassment?

Tell me...specifically.....what do you think is missing? or not connecting with you?

Please, I want to hear your thoughts....

I think some of the new songs will be great on the tour. Playing live is one of the strongest U2 assets.

But honestly, few songs on the album are just weak.

I have listened few times now, some songs are growing on me but others are really don't care at all. 

U2 needs to bring Eno and Lanois back. 

Edited by OB

8 minutes ago, OB said:

I think some of the new songs will be great on the tour. Playing live is one of the strongest U2 assets.

But honestly, few songs on the album are just weak.

I have listened few times now, some songs are growing on me but few are just plain very weak. 

U2 needs to bring Eno and Lanois back. 

Growing on you....is the key to any U2 album. They grow and evolve and I don't think I ever got fully committed to a u2 album until 20 listens.....and then, I still find something new or undiscovered.

I can't fully judge the album until I listen...really listen to it.....

Eno and Lanois......maybe they push U2 creatively beyond their comfort zone in a good way....I don't know....

All I am thankful for is U2 is still together/alive and making music

1 minute ago, unforgettableu2 said:

Growing on you....is the key to any U2 album. They grow and evolve and I don't think I ever got fully committed to a u2 album until 20 listens.....and then, I still find something new or undiscovered.

I can't fully judge the album until I listen...really listen to it.....

Eno and Lanois......maybe they push U2 creatively beyond their comfort zone in a good way....I don't know....

All I am thankful for is U2 is still together/alive and making music

No doubt, as far as I remember most U2 albums at first I wasn't impressed and then start to love them. On SOE few tracks I am just not sure.

That said, I agreed that we are blessed as fans on having U2 around after all these years making albums and having tours. I think they will be like the Rolling Stones touring until their late 70's. ;)

3 hours ago, Nickford0074 said:

Thank you for this. I was dumb enough to pre-order the album and now can't enjoy it for a week. I'm tempted to check out the leak but feel it would ruin the "experience" for me. 

I am in the same boat.   I also ordered on pre-order and it only left the US on 29th.  So, my initial listening was via spotify, followed by a download from iTunes (Amazon wouldn't let me because I don't live in the US).   I actually drew this before the release to suggest another "world first release".

5 hours ago, unforgettableu2 said:

I've listened to most of the newly launched U2 in the dark as well........the days when you cracked out the vinyl from it's sleeve with almost a sexual urgency(ha)....... a magical feeling. I miss that.....

So, you think U2's new music is a appalling embarrassment?

Tell me...specifically.....what do you think is missing? or not connecting with you?

Please, I want to hear your thoughts....

Just listen to Lights of Home, American Soul, the Showman ("You look so good" - oh please?), Landlady, The Blackout, they would struggle to get onto any other album including even October, Pop and NLOTH.  Even the stronger tracks are weak enough.  When they finally just do greatest hits tours, there will be precious little from 2017 on it.

they hid disappointing sales of SOI by the apple wheeze but wait to see how low this will be. The tide has gone out and they are left with only Hewson's vast ego to cover their modesty..

Edited by doppers

Take it all back, CD arrived this morning too! Only a day late. 

Today will be about volume control. ;)

19 hours ago, unforgettableu2 said:

It is so funny what you stated about With or with out you! OMG! I stated this exact thought years ago(in High school) to a fellow u2 freaker like me.

I was like 'what the hell is this shit'????(so ashamed).....Because being a long time fan before Joshua Tree came out....was a transition to hear/accept. Now, post Joshua tree....I listen to a new U2 album with open ears and heart. They each grow on you and get better with time.....like fine wine....not such a bad thing. for a artist...in general.

Oh the first time hearing the Fly? I thought they had lost their damn minds. Thank God for that! 

• Like 1

I have a strange question...ever since I bought tickets - verified and all....I have been getting spam email directly to me...I just now traced it back and it started the day after all the ticket sales. Anyone else? I can just see Ticketmaster doing something shady like selling emails....

Good album, but at times I wondered if they forgot to invite Edge to the studio. I don’t get the choice for the opening track either (too mellow). Upside is some fresh new ideas and sounds.  Look forward to listening to it several times today. 

Addendum:

Mark Beaumont (NME) can GAGF, obviously still butt hurt by having his i-phone 'raped' a few years ago.

Now...Tonight is a bottle of Pinot Noir, what I term the Middle 3 mostly clicked for me today. (I enjoyed them at first, but they work for me today....)

but my personal version of the record is going to switch Showman out for Book of Your Heart.

I liked Yardie's mention of unseen enemies knocking his door down, and I've got the volume up loud enough I'm never quite sure there's no one else in the room. (Infact the guys I'm producing for just helped themselves into the studio without me knowing...they brought wine so it's o.k....ish. LOL). Volume control, indeed.

My favourite song....is.....Landlady, or love is All we have left depending on which one is playing! LOLOL.

So that's enough from me until the next Album. A tip of the hat, A smile, and Goodnight.

Edited by razspazz