Sign in to follow this  
kaber

If ticketmaster know who the regular scalpers are why are they verified before presale?

Was wondering why if ticketmaster know who the regular scalpers are why their u2 accounts get marked as verified , and their ticketmaster and u2 account remains active?

Good question. I've been thinking about this VF fan stuff (who hasn't lately?!), and also along that line. If they can tell who is a "fan" and who is a "scalper", why don't they just get rid of known scalper accounts altogether so that whoever has a TM account can just participate in tickets sales the way we always have without having to jump through hoops for every artist and every show we are interested in seeing? Surely, the hassles around doing this for every show by every participating artist costs way more in overhead and bad PR.

Oh right, because they make most of their money off scalpers so can't ban them outright 🙄

Ticketmaster is the scalper...

This is where they make a lot of money. They scalp & in return allow other scalpers. To combat it, don’t buy scalped tickets. As long as people buy it will continue. 

They are the scalpers.

For example: I bought tickets to Coldplay's show last year for the show in Houston that was supposed to be this year. My friend's uncle had also bought tickets for a group of us, so I had an extra pair I didn't need anymore. I decided to list them for sale on TM Marketplace. Even though I had paid fees in the purchase of the tickets originally, TM was taking from the sale of my tickets for fees again on the same set of tickets. In order to get my full return back, I had to raise my price just to account for their fees. I was disgusted. Someone did wind up buying the tickets, but then Coldplay had to cancel the show because Hurricane Harvey was coming in that exact night. So TM had to refund that buyer from my bank account. You refund them, Ticketmaster, with all that money you guys have from our fees!

/rant

On 11/19/2017 at 3:46 AM, kaber said:

Was wondering why if ticketmaster know who the regular scalpers are why their u2 accounts get marked as verified , and their ticketmaster and u2 account remains active?

You raise one of the most valid points I've seen about the verified thing with this thread and the question you pose.  Very good question.

There are legit fans who bought tickets who would have no problem selling them. 

I am Amazed at all the choices for "quality seats" via Ticketmaster "Verified Resale tickets"..... Its almost like Ticketmaster is encouraging the practice of reselling tickets.

It appears the resale of, for example the holy grail True Fan "GA" ticket" via "Ticketmaster Verified Resale" is slim, or at best, a rare find. (Most if not all GA tickets available may be found via "secondary ticket scalper markets") This tells me the lack of the "GA ticket", on Ticketmaster for sale are in the hands of those who are "Fans" (lucky ones) who are going to the show, not giving them up for resale, which I believe is the point of the "Ticketmaster Verified System". However there are many quality (really expensive) "seated tickets" in very close proximity to each other that are available both at Face Value and also available via the "Verified Resale tickets". I think there should be some sort of investigation to look at the Origin of the purchase of the "Verified Resale Tickets" to see if those tickets were purchased via a fan club membership and if they were indeed put for up resale very early or instantaneously in regards to the general public ticket sale timeline perhaps the membership should be revoked. This business is crazy. Ticketmaster "Verified Resale tickets" allows anyone to become a scalper..... Ranting......Love to hear your thoughts.....hicksong

This whole thing was supposed to be a way to stop the scalpers.

Yet Ticketmaster allows resale tickets on its website. They get fees on the original sale, and they collect fees on the resale. 

If you go to the Ticketmaster page for San Jose, and choose the “best seats” option, you’ll see all the top listings are resale tickets, ranging from $500-$900.

So any pretense of “preventing scalping” is complete and utter BS. Ticketmaster is the scalper.

Frankly, I think this practice is disgraceful, but hey... there’s a profit to be had. God Bless America.