Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
pauly2112

Who is buying $300 upper level tickets??

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Unclejosh said:

I went to the Boston IE show on July 11th and got tix through the fan club in Sec 329 (upper balcony) and my total cost for 2 tickets was $231.15.  The same exact seats were $325 EACH when I tried to get pre-sale tickets.

I doubt you got the exact same seats in two different years. Seats in Sec 329 of course. But do you know for a fact that the first row in section 329 was not at the top ticket price for IE in 2015? Also, the top row in 329 may be at the lower price level. Depends on where the cut off is. I don't think the whole section is charged at the top price. It is a beautiful side stage view. They may have been a little more careful about charging certain seats at these prices last time, but in general they know there are at least 10,000 people willing to pay these prices in the Boston area, because they scooped them up on the 360 tour in big football stadiums at $275 a ticket. Unfortunately when you move down to the arena, you only have at most 20,000 seats and so the top ticket price ends up being half of the available tickets in the venue. The one benefit of stadium shows is that there will be a higher percentage of cheaper tickets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember reading U2: At the End of the World and hearing about how U2 lost money on Zoo TV because they wanted to keep ticket prices reasonable for fans. Seems those days are gone... For Innocence and Experience I didn't want to do GA. So I brought lower level $100+ tickets thinking they were over by the auxillary stage based on the seat map. Turns out they were behind the main stage. I got to stare at the bands back or tv screens if I wanted to actually see their faces for the majority of the show. Then Joshua Tree based on that experience I decided yea I don't love the idea of not getting a seat but maybe I'll get GA. Problem was no GA was available when the presale started so went ahead and got $100+ lower level seats again at the back of the stadium. This time I was at least in front of the stage but had a giant pole in front of me. Would have been nice if they mentioned they were obstructed view. Then I get an e-mail telling me that even though I only brought one ticket from the last presale if I want to take part in this one I need to renew my membership early. Decided I was done with the fan club (yes I know there are other perks like records I can't play that still haven't arrived). Luckily a friend of mine was able to get GA off the Citi presale so I will be going but this show might be my last. Particularly if the quality of the new music doesn't improve.

In contrast to all this two tours ago I got Muse tickets off their free fan club presale. They also did seating around the whole arena but actually arranged their stage so there were no bad seats (one main center stage that rotated, two auxillary stages one on each side with significant time spent at all three stages). With no drama I was able to get seats right in front of the center stage for under $100. I realize Muse is no U2 but I personally like them just as much and there is something to be said for not starting your concert experience realizing your $100+ seats stink.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2017 at 3:31 PM, Unclejosh said:

Same exact seats I sat in for the IE show in Boston 2 years ago for $115 are now $325.  Unreal.  Just outrageous.

Yep. I had 315 row 5 as I remember. Insanity! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ruffian114 said:

I remember reading U2: At the End of the World and hearing about how U2 lost money on Zoo TV because they wanted to keep ticket prices reasonable for fans. Seems those days are gone... For Innocence and Experience I didn't want to do GA. So I brought lower level $100+ tickets thinking they were over by the auxillary stage based on the seat map. Turns out they were behind the main stage. I got to stare at the bands back or tv screens if I wanted to actually see their faces for the majority of the show. Then Joshua Tree based on that experience I decided yea I don't love the idea of not getting a seat but maybe I'll get GA. Problem was no GA was available when the presale started so went ahead and got $100+ lower level seats again at the back of the stadium. This time I was at least in front of the stage but had a giant pole in front of me. Would have been nice if they mentioned they were obstructed view. Then I get an e-mail telling me that even though I only brought one ticket from the last presale if I want to take part in this one I need to renew my membership early. Decided I was done with the fan club (yes I know there are other perks like records I can't play that still haven't arrived). Luckily a friend of mine was able to get GA off the Citi presale so I will be going but this show might be my last. Particularly if the quality of the new music doesn't improve.

In contrast to all this two tours ago I got Muse tickets off their free fan club presale. They also did seating around the whole arena but actually arranged their stage so there were no bad seats (one main center stage that rotated, two auxillary stages one on each side with significant time spent at all three stages). With no drama I was able to get seats right in front of the center stage for under $100. I realize Muse is no U2 but I personally like them just as much and there is something to be said for not starting your concert experience realizing your $100+ seats stink.

All artist price tickets based on demand.  Back in the 80s and early 90s there was usually only a single ticket price and so on average tickets were often sold below their true market value which made scalpers very wealthy. By the mid-90s the concert industry wised up. U2 finally wised up in 2001 on the Elevation tour introducing their first real tiered pricing levels for tickets. Better for the band to make what their worth rather than the scalpers. 

U2 is the most popular concert attraction worldwide or at least in the top five. When your that popular, demand for tickets is going to be crazy. But they always keep GA on the floor at a low price. When you buy a cheaper ticket in the seats, then you will get what you paid for. To be honest, there is no bad seat in an arena, especially when compared with a stadium. The band move around a lot too. 

Muse is a much less popular band in the United States compared to U2. Most of their concerts don't even sellout. Because of that, it makes the ticket buying experience much easier. 

 

Here is a brief history of U2 concert ticket prices in the United States:

 

Boy Tour - $4.00

October Tour - $6.50

War Tour - $10.50

Unforgettable Fire Tour - $13.50

Joshua Tree Tour - $19.50

ZOO TV TOUR - $30.00

POPMART TOUR - $52.50, $37.50

Elevation Tour - $130.00, $85.00, $45.00

Vertigo Tour - $160.00, $95.00, $50.00

360 Tour - $275.00, $95.00, $55.00, $30.00

Innocence And Experience Tour: ?

Joshua Tree Tour 2017: GA was $70

Experience And Innocence Tour: $325.00, $171.00, $106.00, $76.00, $41.00

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow!

I saw the War Tour in Los Angeles when I was 17. Did I really pay $10.50 a ticket?

I probably complained about that too!

:lol:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, I'm sure as hell not paying over $350 for a seat!  Seriously though, how much MORE money do these guys need!  Come on U2, throw the fans a bone and lower the ticket prices!  I guarantee you'll make your millions of dollars in merch sales!

It's kinda crazy to think how these guys are about giving to the poorest countries "if they really do", is it possible that they have been playing the fans this whole time?!  I'm sure each member is worth well over $100 million USD!  At the end of the day, maybe Livenation is the devil.

Edited by greenpower

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2017 at 10:17 PM, greenpower said:

For me, I'm sure as hell not paying over $350 for a seat!  Seriously though, how much MORE money do these guys need!  Come on U2, throw the fans a bone and lower the ticket prices!  I guarantee you'll make your millions of dollars in merch sales!

It's kinda crazy to think how these guys are about giving to the poorest countries "if they really do", is it possible that they have been playing the fans this whole time?!  I'm sure each member is worth well over $100 million USD!  At the end of the day, maybe Livenation is the devil.

If you were to sell your house, would you sell it for what its worth or would throw the buyer a bone and offer it half off? Yes, there are tickets, lots of tickets at the $325 price. But there also as tickets for as little as $41. The $76 dollar GA tickets get you on the floor and closest to the band. Most other artist charge market value for floor tickets. U2 take a loss every show by under pricing the General Admission tickets on the floor. So the band is very kind to the fans in that respect. Also, Bono is worth $700 million, Edge $250 million, Larry $200 million, and Adam $200 million according to the website "celebrity net worth". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3-12-2017 at 1:16 AM, STING said:

If you were to sell your house, would you sell it for what its worth or would throw the buyer a bone and offer it half off? Yes, there are tickets, lots of tickets at the $325 price. But there also as tickets for as little as $41. The $76 dollar GA tickets get you on the floor and closest to the band. Most other artist charge market value for floor tickets. U2 take a loss every show by under pricing the General Admission tickets on the floor. So the band is very kind to the fans in that respect. Also, Bono is worth $700 million, Edge $250 million, Larry $200 million, and Adam $200 million according to the website "celebrity net worth". 

They could easily charge 200 percent of the current prices and sell out easily but I do agree the prices are mental. Just use common sense, not everything is about money. Care about rich and poor people but no advantages for the middle class. Remember you are sitting in a plastic seat or standing a few hours. The concerts are a blessing don't get me wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2017 at 12:16 AM, STING said:

If you were to sell your house, would you sell it for what its worth or would throw the buyer a bone and offer it half off? Yes, there are tickets, lots of tickets at the $325 price. But there also as tickets for as little as $41. The $76 dollar GA tickets get you on the floor and closest to the band. Most other artist charge market value for floor tickets. U2 take a loss every show by under pricing the General Admission tickets on the floor. So the band is very kind to the fans in that respect. Also, Bono is worth $700 million, Edge $250 million, Larry $200 million, and Adam $200 million according to the website "celebrity net worth". 

I’ve never paid more than 70-100 pounds for GA tix for any band/concert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2017 at 7:17 PM, greenpower said:

For me, I'm sure as hell not paying over $350 for a seat!  Seriously though, how much MORE money do these guys need!  Come on U2, throw the fans a bone and lower the ticket prices!  I guarantee you'll make your millions of dollars in merch sales!

It's kinda crazy to think how these guys are about giving to the poorest countries "if they really do", is it possible that they have been playing the fans this whole time?!  I'm sure each member is worth well over $100 million USD!  At the end of the day, maybe Livenation is the devil.

Anyone who's been here any length of time or met one or more of them in person will tell you they absolutely care more than most about fans.

As for the money, they are a business. A very successful business. No harm in that. They earned it. Nobody handed that to them. They worked for it. It's not realistic to expect them to give away all their money. Would you give away all your money? Unlikely. Don't expect them to.

The price of tickets are expensive this time around but so is everyone else of their caliber. It's just the sign of the times.

I've heard the argument the band have no say. Personally I think they could if they felt strongly about it. I've seen other artists put their foot down. I don't know their strategy and I'm not going to presume anything. You and everyone else are free to rant and throw insults until you are blue in the face. It won't solve anything. If you can find a ticket you can afford, go. If you can't, then don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People were forced to join this site (I belonged anyhow) - I finally received a presale code - didn't work.  Then I tried to buy GA tix, but somehow in my ticketmaster account it said that the presale was over and I couldn't get tix even though the presale didn't work.  Absolutely no GA available when I could finally try and get tickets.  Never got a CD because I couldn't get a decent ticket. 

Basic good seat on 200 level - $325 and that is not scalper price - and it was still the price the day of the show.   Oh, but there were those $40 - behind the stage!  Never got a CD because I couldn't get a decent ticket. 

Is there a renewed gift? Never got it.

My U2 days are over as far as concerts go.  

 

 

Edited by TerriB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...