Sign in to follow this  
manon amos

Do you know why fans complain and are disappointed with presale?

A lot of complaints on U2.com, Facebook, Twitter, etc. Why? Scalpers and bots have been holding a lot of tickets for so long.  Some fans thought that it was just bad luck or a bad system...scalpers are the ones that got your tickets for years!

We, U2 and fans, have to address this...when I hear: tickets, tickets when I go by a venue my blood boils and I answer: You can not afford my tickets because to a fan...tickets are not paper to be sold at an exaggerated price...they are an experience with U2...nothing compares to that evening.

Some fans think that U2 created this? Of course not this has been going on for a long time...before U2.

It is easy to blame the no.1 band in the world band in the world right now because they are at the top.

You are getting older and your priorities have changed...fine that does happen, but that does not mean that the band has changed it's philosophy. It means that you are just following the 'you are older so you should act that way and not this way'. Do not blame U2...question your decisions...They are fighting scalpers and bots...you do not understand...ok, but can you blame them for doing so? No. Because everything is a question of decisions. Stand up for U2 and for yourself...decisions need to be made. We are the future! Peace out and I will never stop believing in my Faith and in U2.

Love you fans whatever you do. 

Manon

XXXX

Edited by manon amos

I think the complaints are because the website encouraged people to renew early to secure access to the presale (which I can understand if people had used presale access for JT30) but then denied them the opportunity to take part in the presale because it now appears that only a proportion of subscribers, decided by lottery, were ever going to be given codes. Which was a fundamental change to the arrangements that have applied for every other tour but was not pointed out when people were being asked to renew, instead it was buried in ambiguous wording deep in the FAQs.  And then even those who were allocated codes often received them too late to have a chance to go for the tickets they want.  Oh, and there have been significant price hikes compared to i+e just two years ago, with what would usually be mid range seats now on sale at top prices and even restricted view seats going for well over $100 once fees etc are factored in.  Given that the system has also been incredibly complicated and appears to have totally failed in its stated intention of getting more tickets directly to the real fans I think it's entirely understandable that many people think it's been a shambles.

The biggest scalper in all this is U2 and their promoter.  $325 for upper level seats? lmao..  Renew your fan club early for $40 for 2 tickets, and then be told sorry, you didn't win the lottery.  I don't know how some of you can be so delusional.  Wake up.  The "we're fighting scalpers for you" thing is a joke of a stance when you look at how much the band, themselves, are charging for tickets almost anywhere half decent with an unobstructed view.  Hell, over $100 for obstructed seats behind the stage is ridiculous.  The whole verified thing is a ploy by Ticketmaster to promote their new company slogan.  U2 basically said, if you can't beat em, join em.

• Like 3
  • Brilliant 2

6 hours ago, lmnoiu said:

The biggest scalper in all this is U2 and their promoter.  $325 for upper level seats? lmao..  Renew your fan club early for $40 for 2 tickets, and then be told sorry, you didn't win the lottery.  I don't know how some of you can be so delusional.  Wake up.  The "we're fighting scalpers for you" thing is a joke of a stance when you look at how much the band, themselves, are charging for tickets almost anywhere half decent with an unobstructed view.  Hell, over $100 for obstructed seats behind the stage is ridiculous.  The whole verified thing is a ploy by Ticketmaster to promote their new company slogan.  U2 basically said, if you can't beat em, join em.

There is a two (2) ticket purchase limit for the subscriber presale. Participation in the U2.com Verified Subscriber presale is NOT chosen by lottery. This should be written in your account info...the lottery is a lie!

If U2 genuinely cared for the fans, they wouldnt of chosen verified fan for the fan club members and given members access to a 4 ticket limit to start.

citibank shouldve been given a 2 ticket limit verified system and do the verified system for people not with the fan club. Giving your true fans access first should be the priority, do the verified system for everyone else. Your loyal fans shouldnt be jumping through hoops or have to deal with a 2 ticket limit

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Clear31 said:

If U2 genuinely cared for the fans, they wouldnt of chosen verified fan for the fan club members and given members access to a 4 ticket limit to start.

citibank shouldve been given a 2 ticket limit verified system and do the verified system for people not with the fan club. Giving your true fans access first should be the priority, do the verified system for everyone else. Your loyal fans shouldnt be jumping through hoops or have to deal with a 2 ticket limit

Some suddenly become subscribers and they are scalpers...they do that every presale...there probably the ones complaining the most on the site!

1 minute ago, manon amos said:

Some suddenly become subscribers and they are scalpers...they do that every presale...there probably the ones complaining the most on the site!

You had longtime fans though that have been fan club members for years that did not get access to tickets. That is wrong

The verified system is ridiculously stupid. Scalpers can easily get past that, if scalpers are gonna go through though and buy 40 memberships, so they can buy 80 tickets, thats on them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Clear31 said:

You had longtime fans though that have been fan club members for years that did not get access to tickets. That is wrong

The verified system is ridiculously stupid. Scalpers can easily get past that, if scalpers are gonna go through though and buy 40 memberships, so they can buy 80 tickets, thats on them.

40 Memberships x $50 = $2,000

80 Tickets x $330 = $26,400

Cost = $28,400

Sell 80 Tix x $600 = $48,000

payday just under $20,000?!

Maybe I should be a scalper!? <_<

Edited by U2FanInVT
posted too quickly!

1 minute ago, U2FanInVT said:

40 Memberships x $50 = $2,000

80 Tickets x $400 = $32,000

Maybe I should be a scalper!? <_<

whatever works for them

I personally don't do it but I won't knock it. Scalpers have been around forever and that won't change. The problem is at the end of the day paying these scalpers and stubhub prices.

2 minutes ago, Clear31 said:

whatever works for them

I personally don't do it but I won't knock it. Scalpers have been around forever and that won't change. The problem is at the end of the day paying these scalpers and stubhub prices.

Agree - I don't (and won't) do it either.

• Like 1

I think there's going to be a big difference between GA and reserved seats as far as scalpers are concerned.

It sounds like most of the disappointed people here tried and failed to get GA, and either didn't want to, or couldn't afford to, buy the reserved seats at $330 a pop.

There are still, right now, GA available at San Jose (for example). I just looked out of curiosity. So scalpers won't have much luck there, but they will in other cities that have or will sell out.

The reserved seats...frankly I think they're kidding themselves. 

I was able to get 4 lower reserve for Las Vegas in the presales. $728 total per pair. On stub hub, they are listing tickets in my same section, only two rows ahead of us, for $1140 each! The cheapest tickets in our section are $474 each. That will top $1000 for a pair after fees, etc.

I really wonder if for some of these shows anyway, the scalpers are going to be left holding the bag, as it were, at least on reserved seats. If you guys don't want them at $330, who's going to buy them at $1000 apiece?

Anyway, I sure feel badly for all of you who were unsuccessful. I hope something works out for you.

2 minutes ago, ramsatw said:

I really wonder if for some of these shows anyway, the scalpers are going to be left holding the bag, as it were, at least on reserved seats. If you guys don't want them at $330, who's going to buy them at $1000 apiece?

I was thinking the same thing.  If scalpers are buying the $330 seats...that seems risky.  Could be tough to unload those if there are still so many to be bought through the TM site.

I hope they do get stuck with them and are losing on the transaction...but I am sure they have their ways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, manon amos said:

There is a two (2) ticket  purchase limit for the sub scriber presale. Participation in the U2.com Verified Subscriber presale is NOT chosen by lottery. This should be written in your account info...the lottery is a lie!

Not a lottery added  only recently 

You better read all the threads regarding the presale 

There's been lack of clear info since the beginning and rules changing often 

Last in order general sale opened to everyone no codes needed 

I'm sorry to say but U2 are fully responsible of the management they chose which includes also ticketing

Edited by monica martino
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, monica martino said:

Not a lottery added  only recently 

You better read all the threads regarding the presale 

There's been lack of clear info since the beginning and rules changing often 

Last in order general sale opened to everyone no codes needed 

I'm sorry to say but U2 are fully responsible of the management they chose which includes also ticketing

So many lies are spread...go back to the 1st informations.

17 minutes ago, guklein said:

I can´t believe presale codes for subscribers were chosen by lottery.

Is it offcially true? Or it it just a rumour?

It's what people were being told by Ticketmaster customer services when they called to ask why they hadn't been sent a code.  But there was never anything put in writing.  So I guess that depends on how official you consider the comments of individual call handlers to be.  But at best it demonstrates how poor and unclear communications around the presale arrangements have been.  And if it wasn't a lottery then clearly the Verified Fan system has been a massive failure as lots of true fans unable to access the presale while secondary ticket sites are awash with tickets.

The poor and ever-changing communications is the biggest problem, IMO. As a long-time user experience professional, I can tell you the long, and confusing explanations about how this was supposed to work were guaranteed to not be read thoroughly by all fans trying to participate. Then add the difficulty for people who aren't fluent English speakers/readers, and those who aren't regularly buying tickets to major high-demand events, and it was a cluster in the making from the start. 

Once emails and texts started going out, and sales started, the problems were compounded by inconsistent information from customer service representatives across different entities (right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing), and then the blatant changing of rules and policies that continued right into opening up remaining tickets for general sale without codes. The only upside to that, if it can be called an upside, is that a lot more fans are now seeing just how greedy and un-fan-friendly TM/LN really are. People direct anger at U2 because this is all happening in their name while LN/TM continue to rake in the profits and come up with more ways to take advantage of desperate fans.

Next on the list is the ticket prices and the amount of seats priced at the highest level, which results in fans who get shut out of GA being stuck with the choice of a limited view seat (and half the beauty of this show is the band's use of the screen) or just not going because why spend money on an inferior experience? Sure, there's plenty of us who are as happy to just hear the music, but we shouldn't be made to feel like 2nd class citizens because of pure greed. And sorry, upper deck seats are in no way worth $300+. Even the lower deck sections to the ends aren't worth that much unless you're in the first 10 rows or so, because you aren't that close to the stage(s) and will miss the half of the show taking place at the other end.

Fans deserve better. Now that it seems the problems have gone up to the band, I am keeping hope that something will be done to acknowledge the screw-ups and to put things right in the future so we can go back to getting excited about new music and a new tour.

3 hours ago, stateless said:

Next on the list is the ticket prices and the amount of seats priced at the highest level, which results in fans who get shut out of GA being stuck with the choice of a limited view seat (and half the beauty of this show is the band's use of the screen) or just not going because why spend money on an inferior experience? Sure, there's plenty of us who are as happy to just hear the music, but we shouldn't be made to feel like 2nd class citizens because of pure greed. And sorry, upper deck seats are in no way worth $300+.

One of the most galling parts about this is how much the tickets have gone up relative to the 2015 I&E tour.  It's the same stage, it hasn't been that much time, and certainly there's been no major change in the economy.  So it's hard, for me at least, to justify that the $270 tickets from 2015 are now $330.  I'm not sure a $50 increase is justified after such a short passage of time.  Even worse, perhaps, is how many lower priced tickets from 2015 have been reclassified as higher priced tickets for 2018.  The $80 behind the stage/side stage seat that I had at Madison Square Garden in 2015 has been reclassified as a $175 ticket this time.  And the $100 upper level seat I had a different night at the Garden has also been elevated to the $175 price level.  Those are huge increases for seats that frankly are not as good as the price would suggest. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, guklein said:

I can´t believe presale codes for subscribers were chosen by lottery.

Is it offcially true? Or it it just a rumour?

It was never a lottery. It is a terrible lie. 

this is just ONE hot mess, at the end of the day, all this creates is a boring, BAD, show where half the people in attendance have a shit load of money and really don't have the DESIRE to be there and just stare at their phones the whole the show... This is really no fault of the band, but just the way it is this day in age for the number 1 band in the world...

On 21/11/2017 at 8:38 PM, Clear31 said:

Yes. I am staggered that fanclub members get 2 tickets but Citi card get 4!!! What?? Seems Citi card also get best GA tickets. Something smells rotten.

Edited by Cazza

its on the ticketmaster website.  "if randomly selected" is the same thing as a lottery.  I can't even get anyone at ticketmaster to answer my question about the verified fan program.  I'm waiting to see if I get "waitlisted" for the general sale again.

When should I expect my access code?

If randomly selected, you will receive an access code via text message 2-4 hours prior to the sale. Please note, tickets are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

The first message(s) will include timing details and a link to where you can purchase your tickets, immediately followed by another text containing your unique access code.

I'm sorry, but I've been a fan for 30 plus years - I've traveled extensively to go to shows, etc., and for the absolute first time I feel hosed by this band - I didn't use my JT presale codes, but had to renew a subscription that was nowhere near expiring in order to be entered into a "maybe you will get a presale code" lottery that absolutely was not explained clearly before I renewed??  (I STILL don't have my code for tomorrow btw but trying to remain hopeful it will show up!)  That, my dear U2 fan friend, is a hose job.

To also be fair to the band, I have never never gone wrong with waiting until the day before/day of the show for ticket drops, even to shows that I have traveled half way around the world for  - I've been following this band for too long and refuse to buy crap tickets if that is all that is available in a presale - and the tickets I get in the drops have always been phenomenal. Ended up first row numerous times this way.  So I don't worry if the presale doesn't work out, but it would be nice to at least know that I will be given a presale code.

Edited by kinsa