Sign in to follow this  
Matt_u2

Resale tickets now on Ticketmaster

I thought this whole verified fan thing was to prevent scalping.  However, I just saw that there are Verified resale GA's for the Boston show on Ticketmaster for $295.  Last I checked, the face value of GA's is under $100 before fees.  So I did some digging.  I went and looked up "scalping" on dictionary.com and it defined it as follows -"to resell (tickets, merchandise, etc.) at higher than the official rates".  Now admittedly I am no mathematician but I do have a calculator built right into my trusty old laptop and I plugged those two prices in.  The results were troubling to say the least.  It would seem that $295 is indeed a greater sum than the face value of these tickets.  That being the case, wouldn't that be scalping?  Not only scalping but scalping that is sanctioned by the very company that said it was trying to prevent it from happening?

I would swear that Satan himself was the CEO of Ticketmaster but I honestly think he'd probably find it too sleazy of a company for even him.  

• Like 1

Tons of resales for MSG, too. Also looks like they haven't unlocked the VF seats.

Wondering if they're waiting to add shows until tickets have been resold at least once. ?

• Haha 1

Everybody just wants to get paid.  Livenation signed U2 to a long, lucrative contract, and wants to milk it out for all that they can.

4 minutes ago, cmooreNC said:

Live Nation owns Ticketmaster.

That pretty much sums it up right there....

I think it's the other way around, but it's all the same.

I remember when Live Nation was started to be an alternative to Ticketmaster. That didn't last long.

5 minutes ago, toyoracer said:

I think it's the other way around, but it's all the same.

I remember when Live Nation was started to be an alternative to Ticketmaster. That didn't last long.

Live Nation was a promotion company.  It never set out to compete with Ticketmaster.  Here's an article back when the acquisition (or "merger," as it was labeled by those involved) was announced.  But the bottom line was that Live Nation acquired Ticketmaster (as Ticketmaster shareholders were the one's compensated when they gave up their stock).  But all the fears expressed by those opposed to the merger have proven quite valid, that's for sure.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ticketmaster-livenation/live-nation-to-buy-ticketmaster-idUSTRE5194DL20090210

Has anyone ever thought that some of those verified fans who are scalping tickets are actually fans? This process weeds out the bots but it cant stop a legit fan from buying tickets and then putting them on stubhub.

10 minutes ago, nyru2 said:

Has anyone ever thought that some of those verified fans who are scalping tickets are actually fans? This process weeds out the bots but it cant stop a legit fan from buying tickets and then putting them on stubhub.

True.  But this concept of "verified resale" on Ticketmaster itself makes no sense whatsoever.  With the quantity of tickets on there, particularly for shows that were NOT sold out yesterday, I am extremely doubtful that these are truly "verified fans" who are reselling tickets.  Something extremely fishy is going on here.

And to make us all jump through all the "get verified and get your code" hoops to get tickets, yet permit resales THROUGH THE SAME SITE (Ticketmaster) ---- well, this all stinks far worse than a dead, rotting fish!

Ticketmaster needs to get out of the ticket resell business. It's a conflict of interest. They spend all of this time to thwart scalpers and at the same time they provide a mechanism to scalp tickets. WTF??? It's always going to happen so just let StubHub do it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sboccia said:

Ticketmaster needs to get out of the ticket resell business. It's a conflict of interest. They spend all of this time to thwart scalpers and at the same time they provide a mechanism to scalp tickets. WTF??? It's always going to happen so just let StubHub do it.

but then Ticketmaster don't make money on the resale !!! You think they give a crap about what's fair?

23 minutes ago, kavanbJDE said:

but then Ticketmaster don't make money on the resale !!! You think they give a crap about what's fair?

Exactly - they should just put every seat in every arena up for auction. We're not far off from that anyways. 

41 minutes ago, kavanbJDE said:

Is Ticketmaster making money out of Verified Resale tickets? I understand that the person who bought them and wants to sell them through the platform is the one who sets the price. 

Verified Resale is not a bad idea for those who, under any circumstance, NEED to get back what they paid for. and obviously for the ones who want to buy because it gives you a certain guarantee. What TM should forbid on their platform is to make a profit, only face value should be allowed.

12 minutes ago, mgraniel said:

Is Ticketmaster making money out of Verified Resale tickets? I understand that the person who bought them and wants to sell them through the platform is the one who sets the price. 

Verified Resale is not a bad idea for those who, under any circumstance, NEED to get back what they paid for. and obviously for the ones who want to buy because it gives you a certain guarantee. What TM should forbid on their platform is to make a profit, only face value should be allowed.

Oh yeah, they make a fortune off of it.  They charge a fee to the seller, take a percentage of the total price, and then charge another fee to the buyer on top of that.

7 minutes ago, vertigojds said:

Oh yeah, they make a fortune off of it.  They charge a fee to the seller, take a percentage of the total price, and then charge another fee to the buyer on top of that.

Well, if they do that then people can't sell them for face value, they would at least need to get back their fees (both from the initial purchase and the reselling transaction) - yikes.

5 minutes ago, vertigojds said:

Well, yeah, fees are a gold mine for TM but for me the root cause remains on the people. 

Companies (TM, Stubhub, Viagogo, etc.) are 'just' serving as intermediares. If there's someone willing to pay 1,000 for a GA ticket, there will be a market of scalpers and bots to make that happen. When people stop purchasing tickets other than face value prices, maybe things will get better. 

25 minutes ago, U2FanInVT said:

Well, if they do that then people can't sell them for face value, they would at least need to get back their fees (both from the initial purchase and the reselling transaction) - yikes.

Exactly. 

23 minutes ago, mgraniel said:

Well, yeah, fees are a gold mine for TM but for me the root cause remains on the people. 

Companies (TM, Stubhub, Viagogo, etc.) are 'just' serving as intermediares. If there's someone willing to pay 1,000 for a GA ticket, there will be a market of scalpers and bots to make that happen. When people stop purchasing tickets other than face value prices, maybe things will get better. 

There are lots of services and goods that are sold at a fixed price, and that can't be resold by the consumer. For instance, plane tickets. I think concert ticketing needs to be treated the same way. Just as only I can use a plane ticket purchased in my name, it should be the same with concert tickets. If a person is unable to attend, they can return the ticket to Ticketmaster minus some reasonably processing or return fee. Do that, and scalping is done. There's no actual will for scalping to be eliminated, though. 

Consider this: Ticketmaster doesn't do resale for all shows or all acts. It only does so when they have permission from the act. And it's doing so for U2... so... draw your own conclusion.