Max Tsukino

Update: U2 Manager Guy Oseary Responds To Fans' Concerns Over E+I Tour Pre-sales

The biggest issue to this snafu, is the fact that tickets are appearing on secondary ticket sites. This should not be. I just did a search and the secondary tickets sites such as Stub Hub https://www.stubhub.com/u2-tickets/performer/602/?gcid=C12289X021&keyword=25049071645&creative=81501303527207&query=u2+tickets&gclid=CMjHzs-N1dcCFYWsswodJTUFMA&gclsrc=ds, Vivid Seats https://www.vividseats.com/concerts/u2-tickets.html?utm_source=msn&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Rock&utm_term=u2+tickets&vkid=10665411, Ticket Network https://www.ticketnetwork.com/tickets/u2-tickets.aspx?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Concerts&utm_content=(PQW)+U2&utm_term=u2 tickets&xtor=SEC-73-MSN-[(PQW)+U2]-[78340243348963]-S-[u2+tickets+-+e]&xts=561471&msclkid=5a9e2d8f730b1741e6ad779985259adb&gclid=COH42O-N1dcCFcqzswodWbQHbA&gclsrc=ds, Seat Geek https://seatgeek.com/u2-tickets?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=r.search.yahoo.com&aid=566&fr=opensearch, Cheap Tickets https://www.cheaptickets.com/events/tickets/u2-3336608 , etc. are all claiming they have tickets for the  six additional shows that were announced yesterday. The people of these sites should be arrested for peddling tickets to shows that haven't even gone on sale yet. How on earth are they permitted to do this and not suffer any consequences.

5 minutes ago, BVB65 said:

The biggest issue to this snafu, is the fact that tickets are appearing on secondary ticket sites. This should not be. I just did a search and the secondary tickets sites such as Stub Hub https://www.stubhub.com/u2-tickets/performer/602/?gcid=C12289X021&keyword=25049071645&creative=81501303527207&query=u2+tickets&gclid=CMjHzs-N1dcCFYWsswodJTUFMA&gclsrc=ds, Vivid Seats https://www.vividseats.com/concerts/u2-tickets.html?utm_source=msn&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Rock&utm_term=u2+tickets&vkid=10665411, Ticket Network https://www.ticketnetwork.com/tickets/u2-tickets.aspx?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Concerts&utm_content=(PQW)+U2&utm_term=u2 tickets&xtor=SEC-73-MSN-[(PQW)+U2]-[78340243348963]-S-[u2+tickets+-+e]&xts=561471&msclkid=5a9e2d8f730b1741e6ad779985259adb&gclid=COH42O-N1dcCFcqzswodWbQHbA&gclsrc=ds, Seat Geek https://seatgeek.com/u2-tickets?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=r.search.yahoo.com&aid=566&fr=opensearch, Cheap Tickets https://www.cheaptickets.com/events/tickets/u2-3336608 , etc. are all claiming they have tickets for the  six additional shows that were announced yesterday. The people of these sites should be arrested for peddling tickets to shows that haven't even gone on sale yet. How on earth are they permitted to do this and not suffer any consequences.

They are gambling that they will be able to acquire tickets (either from TM or on secondary market) for a price less than they are promising to sell them per their listings. They typically end up delivering tickets (albeit not the specifically promised seats) at a profit. If they cannot find the tickets at a price that works they back out of the sale. It is a very dirty process and one that is of questionable legality.  https://www.theringer.com/2017/1/24/16045632/how-u2-fans-are-getting-squeezed-by-ticket-sellers-c049f88fabbd

Edited by CAFISHER

So Mr. Oseary if I sell my ticket at an inflated price on Stubhub or eBay I'm a scalper but if I sell it for the same inflated price through the TM verified resale I'm a solid citizen.

Basically TM have no problem in fans being ripped off once they get a piece of the action. Nice.

15 hours ago, Matkin22 said:

There's a reason for that, and that is we couldn't make that assertion without having the actual data in front of us; something that only Ticketmaster likely has and that they would not share under any circumstances except for legal reasons. Without being able to show that is actually true, we could not include it in the letter. We only presented what we could document.

Not really buying it.  We did have actual data--namely, various u2.com subscribers posting that (e.g.) they couldn't get GA, even with getting on the TM sites right when the presales started.  This is quite clear for iNNOCENCE (where literally all these fans posted about this), and striking numbers of eXPERIENCE folks also had such problems.  This has literally and demonstrably never occurred before (in prior tours)--and that's a fact.  Same goes for the lousy seats offered.  OK, we don't have hard numbers, but clearly the allocation was substantially smaller/seats were inferior.

7 minutes ago, CorkVegan said:

So Mr. Oseary if I sell my ticket at an inflated price on Stubhub or eBay I'm a scalper but if I sell it for the same inflated price through the TM verified resale I'm a solid citizen.

Basically TM have no problem in fans being ripped off once they get a piece of the action. Nice.

Succinctly put.

I also wonder if the artists get a cut of the ticket sold through Verified Resale.

It's all scalping, and any attempt to rationalize TM's Verified Resale is self-serving.

36 minutes ago, enriquediaz said:

If the members are 18+, then you are correct.

" In order to use and access the features and services provided by this Site you must be 18 years of age or older. If you are not an adult, please stop and discontinue your use of this website."

Smart remark! I didn't know that!

But I still wonder what all of this inquiry has to do with Mr. Oseary's letter... 

12 minutes ago, B!gGiRL said:

Smart remark! I didn't know that!

But I still wonder what all of this inquiry has to do with Mr. Oseary's letter... 

Nothing! :)

(I was just adding to your comment.)

1 hour ago, slimtah said:

So I decided to do more research and it does not make any sense. I got email saying because I purchased ticket and used my presale code during the Joshua tree tour I am not eligible for a presale code this tour but if you read below on the website it does not state this.  I should be eligible to get a presale code for this tour. My setup is complete and I am in the innocence group and I never got a presale code in the 1st leg of presale blitz.  Now thinking I may have a chance with additional dates again i may not get a code.  It just is not right!

83386B14-E7B5-46BE-865F-0D1881D72B89.png

But it does say you ALSO had to resub early to be eligible. You didn't indicate that you did that as well. 

Thanks Max for sharing and thank you, btw, for helping me on Monday. I appreciate it.

I will say the other issue that was not addressed in the letter to Guy nor in his reply are those of us who were also not sent a code for the general public onsale. I received the 2 emails, like Guy discusses above, and he has made it sound like mis-labeling people as "brokers" was fixed prior to the general onsale. I assume I was not also sent a code for the public onsale because I was still listed in the system as a "broker?"

I would love to see a poll from those who had rescinded emails, like myself, as to how many shows people registered for the public onsale? They said in their email that you were asked to register for the "shows you would like to see." What I do not think Guy understands is that many of us see multiple shows a tour, some people that I know even attend EVERY show on a tour. These tickets are going onsale 6 -7 months in advance. Trying to plan what shows I will attend this early on, especially since they're not playing in my city (Denver) is difficult.

Was the system setup so that the number of shows that you registered for determined if you were flagged as a "broker?"

• Brilliant 1

18 hours ago, kidcurran1 said:

If you read some of the previous post then we can all be certain that the reason Citi and then the TM Verified Open Sale offered 4 tickets is so that TM can make double bubble on the tickets as it gives people the chance to buy more than needed and then sell the extras on for much more money. People in the fan club however would be more likely to use the tickets and actually attend shows meaning we offer much less to TM and it's re-sale scam. Simple really and summed up in the one word.......Greed.

IN A NUTSHELL.......every corporate body involved in this legalised robbery should be ashamed of themselves and i mean EVERYBODY...but they won`t be...after all every venue will fill eventually...why give a shit who it is that fills it as long as the people who planned it all have bulging wallets

Edited by padrepio

thanks to everyone involved in the letter to Guy, its very much appreciated

I will hold my judgement on the response until after the next presale as I have my doubts they have fixed the issue

It’s all a crock of shite........why oh why.? Did u2 hand over full responsibility to ticketmaster to handle the ticket sales.....I’ve attended every tour since 1st JT tour sometimes multiple times and always got a ga ticket , many fans like to attend all shows if possible and many do...many do a 4 city stop .....plan hotels , transport etc.....I fear those days are over for the die hard fans who like touring the proper way as I’ve mentioned above. I feel sorry for all the real deal fans in the USA , I hope and pray that it’s not the same shite in Europe as I live in England and would like to do a 3 show mini tour say” Manchester or London then on to Paris or Barcelona then finish off at Amsterdam.........   I managed to do a 5 show mini tour on the 360* tour I did Paris , Sheffield, Dublin , Cardiff and Brussels ..... even at the last minute my friends could get GA tx easy as...... I hope it’s the same this time round..... the only tour I had a bit of trouble with was songs of innocence tour where I had to buy tx out of the normal way.......I had to use ticketmasters scalping site viagogo.....   as even with a code drop and u2 doing 5 nights at the 02 arena London , I couldn’t get my hands on decent tx........I ended up paying £80+booking fee and a£25 fee to viagogo. Not to bad for £76 face value tx that where seats........but amazing seats ......right in the middle of the screen on the bottom of the 2nd tier.......  but as a paid up member you would expect better from a band that claims they love their fans and slam other companies for doing exactly the same that they are doing at the moment.     

Achtung y’all.....     G.     Peace.....love........    or else.

3 hours ago, Tracy M said:

But it does say you ALSO had to resub early to be eligible. You didn't indicate that you did that as well. 

I resubscribed in September prior to the announcement of this tour.   It does not even say what it means by “early”.  I called customer service today and they told me that I didn’t need to resubscribe because my subscription expires in September of 2018.  But again she told me I may or may not get a presale code for the additional shows because it is a selection process.  Is it a lottery or not?  It sounds very strange because that is what the customer service rep told me the first presale for this tour and I did not receive a code.  In response to the inquiries and complaints U2 management stated that it not a lottery but that is not what the customer service reps are saying to it’s members.  I am hoping for a miracle but seeing that I will be facing further disappointment.

This is an interesting read and maybe answers a few questions around WHY would U2 use TM and how it claims re-sale commissions are split.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/inside-ticketmasters-new-scalping-plan-20130913

You also need to ask yourself, if you wanted to make money from re-sales which tickets would you want to get into the hands of those who would then want to re-sell tickets to make a profit? Would it be........A) a $330 face value ticket in the Gods which actually costs $370 after you pay fees OR B ) a $85 face value ticket which would be in demand from every fan wanting to get up close to the band?..............

Also ask yourself this question......Who would you want to purchase the most amount of tickets? Is it A) Fan club members who actually pay $50 for the chance to get close to the band they love and will probably actually attend the show or multiple shows........Or B ) Anybody who just wants to re-sale and make money from the tickets because at the same time so will you?  To help you answer that question.....U2 members were told they could only get a Maximum of 2 tickets as a thank you for paying membership fees but if you paid nothing and used a Citi card or purchased through the TM Verified Scam sorry I meant Fan sale then you can buy 4 tickets..........Ummmmm. Guy however says it was limited to 2 tickets for fans because the tour is an arena tour meaning limited tickets....Is it not in the same arena for Citi and TM Verified Fan sales?

Last Question........Who runs the U2 official site?      

A ) U2

B ) Live Nation (who merged with Ticketmaster a few years back?

C ) Other?

• Like 1
  • Brilliant 1

Interesting read..........FROM BILLBOARD POST BACK IN 2008 meaning the 12 year deal is still running I guess?

U2 has inked a 12-year deal with Live Nation Artists to handle its worldwide touring, merchandising, and the band's U2.com Web site. "I'm very happy to go into a partnership with them," U2 manager Pau U2's deal with Live Nation puts the promoter in business with one of the highest earning bands in the world for more than a decade.

It's a 12-year deal with Live Nation Artists that includes worldwide touring, merchandising, and the band's U2.com Web site. The deal, however, is not a true 360-degree pact, as there is no publishing component and the band retains its relationship with Universal Music to release music.

"It's not do-or-die that we have to have everything. We just have to have certain critical mass, and we more than have it in this deal," Michael Cohl, Live Nation chairman of the board and CEO of Live Nation Artists, tells Billboard.com.

U2 manager Paul McGuinness adds, "There's a certain convergence taking place in the industry, and it's obvious that the biggest part of U2's business now is their live business, even though they're a major, major record-selling act."

The band's relationship with Live Nation has been "pretty near perfect," McGuinness says. "For some time now they've been executing, promoting and producing our tours as partners pretty well perfectly. Since they want to consolidate rights and they have an online vision that I believe in, their Ticketmaster deal is expiring, which is going to change their margin, I'm very happy to go into a partnership with them. And, apart from all the financial stuff, there is a real friendship, a real bond."

Financial terms were not disclosed, but Cohl says that the deal was similar to the previously announced Madonna deal (valued at $120 million), in that there was some money paid upfront and that LNA would share in the profits and will be "substantially and materially involved" in all pertinent rights' revenue streams.

Both camps expect synergies to come into play when exploitation of these rights are integrated. "Conceptually it's got to be better, in that the broadcast and the streaming and the Internet and the fan club and the website are all in the same hands," says Cohl. "There's no debate. There are no different vested interests. We're going to have a great starting block and where we go will be new, unexplored territory that instinctively feels like it should be exponentially better."

U2 is in an elite class for touring, with its 2005-2007 Vertigo tour taking in close to $400 million, the second highest ever. So touring alone should generate more than a billion dollars in grosses over the course of the contract.

The length of the deal, which exceeds even Madonna's 10-year pact, "indeed is a mark of the faith and trust we have in them," says McGuinness, adding, "In 12 years time U2 will not even be the age the Rolling Stones are now."

If everything goes as planned, the power of the U2/Live Nation Artists venture will become apparent by next year. "The band are in the studio now. We hope to release an album this fall and tour in '09," says McGuinness. "There's a constant rolling plan and sometimes it gets postponed, but we plan all the time, and that's the current plan."

Remember WAY back when Bono just wanted "to connect with the crowd" and be the voice of the everyday common working man? That memory is fading, 'almost gone... oops, yep, it's gone...

Seems to me that most people here want GA tickets and that makes perfect sense!!! Doesn't the band want their fan club members as close to the stage as possible? I have a hard time imagining why they cannot make the GA tickets more readily available to their fan club. I'm in Montreal and lets say there are 2000 tickets available for GA. You actually think there are 1000 members here all trying to buy 2 tickets each for GA? And even if they were, whats the problem with that? 

14 minutes ago, sergiolato said:

Seems to me that most people here want GA tickets and that makes perfect sense!!! Doesn't the band want their fan club members as close to the stage as possible? I have a hard time imagining why they cannot make the GA tickets more readily available to their fan club. I'm in Montreal and lets say there are 2000 tickets available for GA. You actually think there are 1000 members here all trying to buy 2 tickets each for GA? And even if they were, whats the problem with that? 

Exactly!  

On 11/22/2017 at 1:28 PM, mike7man said:

Unfortunately, the original fan letter didn't mention (or only briefly and to a minor degree) one key additional issue:  That the u2.com presale allotment (I'm not talking about the ticket limit)--that is, the actual number (and quality, if seats) of presale tickets was markedly smaller than in previous tours.  This went beyond the iNNOCENCE folks basically having no chance at GAs--many eXPERIENCE folks couldn't obtain GAs either.  And the presale seats in general were clearly inferior.

That is, there were two major sets of issues/problems:

1)  Folks not getting codes, getting codes late, getting the "oops--you're not verified" thing, etc.  Basically, code screw-ups.  AND

2)  The SIZE and QUALITY of the u2.com presale allotment, which was apparently markedly smaller and inferior to past tours (for both Experience and Innocence groups).  And, as the letter does say, the 2 ticket vs. 4 ticket (for citi folks) ticket limit disparity.

The fan letter to Oseary says a lot about #1; very little about #2 (except regarding the Innocence group).

Yes...I couldn't agree more with point #2. How is it possible that there were no GA tix available in many cities for eXPERIENCE members 1 minute into the presale. AND all seats offered for lower prices were crap views outside of GA. I have already paid $50 up front to be a member for many years. That is worth a transparent shot at GA tix or at least a view I can see the screen

9 hours ago, millerfan said:

Exactly!  

9 hours ago, sergiolato said:

While I agree to a point on this, the one thing that everyone keeps forgetting every time they quote "previous tours" is that the last 2 tours have been stadiums, with a significantly greater amount of floor space - and therefore, GA tickets. You have to go back to Vertigo in 2005 to compare to the number of GAs available in the arenas, and from what I have seen, many people here have cited that "this is the worst presale since Vertigo" or compared it to Vertigo in that manner. In other words, it was just as difficult to get GA for THAT arena tour due to the smaller venue size and reduced quantity available. And guess what? I remember very clearly getting tickets to 3 shows - none of which were GA until I did a private swap with someone who ended up not being able to line up for one of the shows in Toronto. 

11 hours ago, kidcurran1 said:

Interesting read..........FROM BILLBOARD POST BACK IN 2008 meaning the 12 year deal is still running I guess?

U2 has inked a 12-year deal with Live Nation Artists to handle its worldwide touring, merchandising, and the band's U2.com Web site. "I'm very happy to go into a partnership with them," U2 manager Pau U2's deal with Live Nation puts the promoter in business with one of the highest earning bands in the world for more than a decade.

It's a 12-year deal with Live Nation Artists that includes worldwide touring, merchandising, and the band's U2.com Web site. The deal, however, is not a true 360-degree pact, as there is no publishing component and the band retains its relationship with Universal Music to release music.

"It's not do-or-die that we have to have everything. We just have to have certain critical mass, and we more than have it in this deal," Michael Cohl, Live Nation chairman of the board and CEO of Live Nation Artists, tells Billboard.com.

U2 manager Paul McGuinness adds, "There's a certain convergence taking place in the industry, and it's obvious that the biggest part of U2's business now is their live business, even though they're a major, major record-selling act."

The band's relationship with Live Nation has been "pretty near perfect," McGuinness says. "For some time now they've been executing, promoting and producing our tours as partners pretty well perfectly. Since they want to consolidate rights and they have an online vision that I believe in, their Ticketmaster deal is expiring, which is going to change their margin, I'm very happy to go into a partnership with them. And, apart from all the financial stuff, there is a real friendship, a real bond."

Financial terms were not disclosed, but Cohl says that the deal was similar to the previously announced Madonna deal (valued at $120 million), in that there was some money paid upfront and that LNA would share in the profits and will be "substantially and materially involved" in all pertinent rights' revenue streams.

Both camps expect synergies to come into play when exploitation of these rights are integrated. "Conceptually it's got to be better, in that the broadcast and the streaming and the Internet and the fan club and the website are all in the same hands," says Cohl. "There's no debate. There are no different vested interests. We're going to have a great starting block and where we go will be new, unexplored territory that instinctively feels like it should be exponentially better."

U2 is in an elite class for touring, with its 2005-2007 Vertigo tour taking in close to $400 million, the second highest ever. So touring alone should generate more than a billion dollars in grosses over the course of the contract.

The length of the deal, which exceeds even Madonna's 10-year pact, "indeed is a mark of the faith and trust we have in them," says McGuinness, adding, "In 12 years time U2 will not even be the age the Rolling Stones are now."

If everything goes as planned, the power of the U2/Live Nation Artists venture will become apparent by next year. "The band are in the studio now. We hope to release an album this fall and tour in '09," says McGuinness. "There's a constant rolling plan and sometimes it gets postponed, but we plan all the time, and that's the current plan."

Forgot about this...thanks for posting! I recall thinking at the time, "oh, this is GREAT -- it means the boys are far from finished and there will be at least more tours to enjoy." Now I'm thinking "well at least the deal with the devil will expire in 2020, before the next tour....if there IS a next tour after this one."

51 minutes ago, Tracy M said:

While I agree to a point on this, the one thing that everyone keeps forgetting every time they quote "previous tours" is that the last 2 tours have been stadiums, with a significantly greater amount of floor space - and therefore, GA tickets. You have to go back to Vertigo in 2005 to compare to the number of GAs available in the arenas, and from what I have seen, many people here have cited that "this is the worst presale since Vertigo" or compared it to Vertigo in that manner. In other words, it was just as difficult to get GA for THAT arena tour due to the smaller venue size and reduced quantity available. And guess what? I remember very clearly getting tickets to 3 shows - none of which were GA until I did a private swap with someone who ended up not being able to line up for one of the shows in Toronto. 

Go back to 2015 for the I & E Tour. Very easy to get GA on the subscriber presales.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1