Max Tsukino

Update: U2 Manager Guy Oseary Responds To Fans' Concerns Over E+I Tour Pre-sales

I don't think that I have seen my previous questions on this answered...

I am in UK and I want to be in the UK/Europe presales.

Because of the repeated prompts and confusing messages I linked my U2.com membership (long time 'Experience' member of the fanclub - since 1983/84) to a US Ticketmaster account and was duly sent a US presale code - which I didn't want and didn't use.

I then unlinked my US TM account from my U2.com one - it again now says 'incomplete' in red.

How do I guarantee that I get a UK/Europe presale code? Do I have to link to my UK TM account now?

Please can someone confirm what I need to do?

Thank you.

Oh Lord...what a dirty day. The LAST thing you would ever find me doing is getting caught up in U2's great schemes. I justified years and years ago, not resuming my paid membership with, it's just not worth it all. Hardcore, old school, early U2 fans are out there-but I don't know ONE of them that would pay or do a verified fan anything. I would turn to outside advertising versus paid subscriptions by fans on individual basis. I don't need an algorithm to KNOW WHO IS WHO, it's a dirty day when you cannot figure out if its a real person or a BOT...(Bought Off Ticketmaster). The solution is simple, quit overcomplicating it to justify this madness. U2.com knows exactly who is who, put the tickets in their hands. OR DO YOU NEED AN ALGORITHM TO TELL YOU IF THAT IS GOOD IDEA? I am surrounded by rocket scientists and engineers here on the Space Coast...Sometimes, you need to step back, look up, and watch the satellite fly over. GARBAGE IN=GARBAGE OUT. Don't ever depend on DATA, when you can see the solution right in front of your own eyes. I trust the moderators and the folks behind U2.com all day long over any "computer". What I do not trust is, MAKING EXCUSES AND PASSING THE BLAME. You made this mess, YOU CLEAN IT UP! AND THAT MEANS YOU DON'T HIRE A FREAKING MAID TO DO IT FOR YOU!!! OR IN YOUR TECHIE WORLD, YOU DON'T HIRE A FIRM, YOU GO TO THE SOURCE-U2.COM.  DUH!

Edited by wahine
  • Brilliant 1

Nobody, including the writers of the initial letter mentioned that on the Innocence Tour Ticketmaster was selling U2.com subscriptions right on its website. Whereas a U2.com subscription used to be a hardcore fan only thing, Ticketmaster basically forced these subscriptions on people and opened it up to thousands of casual fans/scalpers, etc by bundling U2.com subscriptions on Ticketmaster essentially wiping out longtimes fans exclusivity. 

below is copy of the email I received today from U2 Fan Support (aka, Live Nation).  It does in fact appear that being a subscriber no longer means you will get a presale code. This would be a massive departure from past subscriber benefits. If true, and the events of the past week appear to confirm it is, this is a shameful change in policy. 

"Hi Evan,
Thanks for contacting U2 Fan Support! I do apologize for the delay on this response, we do have a high volume of emails going out and we are taking care of them in the order they come in. I will be more than happy to assist you with this.

Yes, that is correct. Just because you were subscribed, that does not mean that you were guaranteed a code. I do apologize about that confusion!"

The ridiculous cost of these tickets offered to the fans- $330 + $61 in TM fees made me feel taken advantage of.  My group of U2 fans have dwindled considerably because as school teachers, we simply cannot afford that price.  A true disappointment.......

2 hours ago, mrmike said:

Nobody, including the writers of the initial letter mentioned that on the Innocence Tour Ticketmaster was selling U2.com subscriptions right on its website. Whereas a U2.com subscription used to be a hardcore fan only thing, Ticketmaster basically forced these subscriptions on people and opened it up to thousands of casual fans/scalpers, etc by bundling U2.com subscriptions on Ticketmaster essentially wiping out longtimes fans exclusivity. 

Yep. IMO - which as a fan means next to nothing - if U2 Inc is going to allow people to enter a presale by purchasing a membership on TM so they can immediately access a shitty presale, they should consider 3 days of presales: One for the arbitraryly defined long-term group, another for the arbitrarily defined short-term group, and a third for the people who are buying a membership on the same day they buy tickets.

8 hours ago, Tracy M said:

While I agree to a point on this, the one thing that everyone keeps forgetting every time they quote "previous tours" is that the last 2 tours have been stadiums, with a significantly greater amount of floor space - and therefore, GA tickets. You have to go back to Vertigo in 2005 to compare to the number of GAs available in the arenas, and from what I have seen, many people here have cited that "this is the worst presale since Vertigo" or compared it to Vertigo in that manner. In other words, it was just as difficult to get GA for THAT arena tour due to the smaller venue size and reduced quantity available. And guess what? I remember very clearly getting tickets to 3 shows - none of which were GA until I did a private swap with someone who ended up not being able to line up for one of the shows in Toronto. 

Well, no--the 2015 I & E tour (an arena tour) had way more GAs available for u2.com presales (vs. this time around).

8 hours ago, Mark Taylor said:

Because of the repeated prompts and confusing messages I linked my U2.com membership (long time 'Experience' member of the fanclub - since 1983/84) to a US Ticketmaster account and was duly sent a US presale code - which I didn't want and didn't use.

I then unlinked my US TM account from my U2.com one - it again now says 'incomplete' in red.

How do I guarantee that I get a UK/Europe presale code? Do I have to link to my UK TM account now?

Thank you.

Am in the same boat here as are a few of my friends.

Would really be annoyed if we all lost our presales  code for Europe  due to  misleading information  from early on.

Although the situation  was made a bit clearer (thanks to to great work of the  forums ) The account was already connected and we can't always be trawling through pages & pages of posts

day after day to see if the Goal Posts had been moved!!!

Hope we can get some clarity on this before a new wave  of problems start when the 2nd leg dates are announced.

We'll all sleep better then :)

On 11/23/2017 at 7:33 AM, Tracy M said:

Ok, but in fairness, that may have been the case anyway. Remember, participation in the presale has NEVER been a guarantee that you will get GA, or any other ticket, for that matter. I truly wish we could separate the people who were really shafted - and I know there were many - from those who simply did not get GA. It is much tougher to get GA for the smaller arena shows, and that has always been the case. I realize some of that this time was the result of the incongruity with ticket limits, but I will address that under separate cover. 

What you have stated has some truth, Tracy....and I can be objective/fair in validating your statement regarding the difficulty of obtaining GA tickets due to limited availability/supply-demand ratio.

However,  how about this future proposal:

All fan club members(up to date/current) with subscription, have the option to choose/prepay for GA in  a presale/guarantee...since they are the most coveted by dedicated fans.

Why is this not already possible? It would motivate and be a great incentive for fans to keep their subscription updated & keep the scalpers away.

It would be a more timely way to keep the GA tickets in the ''fans" hands rather than the scalpers turning them into a profiteering  business,

Fans win....U2 wins.

Edited by unforgettableu2

Well done for all the efforts to help people out.  Hope something comes of this but all here appreciate this.

Also worth mentioning to Guy the long term subscribers who had their presale access downgraded to innocence despite being signed up members on 24 December 2016. 

Here's the latest correspondence from U2.com Fan Support. I don't know what else I need to do to confirm I AM NOT A BOT, I AM NOT A SCALPER. I AM A REAL HUMAN FAN. Their response makes no sense. So tired of this nonsense: 

Thank you for reaching out to Fan Club Support. We sincerely apologize for the delay in responding, I will be glad to assist you.

I am sincerely sorry for the inconvenience. For this years presale not all paid subscribers received a code. The following information is located under HELP:

The verification process reviews U2.com subscriber accounts to identify and remove scalper and bot accounts, leaving the tickets to real human fans.

On 11/23/2017 at 7:33 AM, Tracy M said:

Ok, but in fairness, that may have been the case anyway. Remember, participation in the presale has NEVER been a guarantee that you will get GA, or any other ticket, for that matter. I truly wish we could separate the people who were really shafted - and I know there were many - from those who simply did not get GA. It is much tougher to get GA for the smaller arena shows, and that has always been the case. I realize some of that this time was the result of the incongruity with ticket limits, but I will address that under separate cover. 

Well, actually, in prior arena tours (excepting the first Vertigo leg, which was fixed), presale access pretty much DID ensure good-to-great GA/other good ticket access.  First, in the modern era, U2's first all-arena tour of the US was Elevation--and there were no problems whatsoever with u2 fan club GA availability (or great seats).  This (in part) is why the first Vertigo presale (also arenas) was such a huge flap--and had nothing to do with arenas being smaller, etc.  Larry himself acknowledged that the first Vertigo presale was a massive screwup, and things were promptly fixed for the rest of that tour.  Then, as we all know, the 360 tour went back to stadiums (for the first time since the POP tour), so that's not as relevant.  Then, as I mentioned in an earlier response, presale availability (both GA and good seats) for the 2015 I & E tour was still pretty good (perhaps showing some, but not a huge, decline vs. prior tours).  In light of all this, all in all, the current tour had clearly had vastly inferior presale allocations (both GA and seat quality) vs. prior arena tours.

• Like 1
  • Brilliant 1

On 11/24/2017 at 3:54 AM, enriquediaz said:

Go back to 2015 for the I & E Tour. Very easy to get GA on the subscriber presales.

Same here, I didn't have any trouble getting GA during the I&E tour with my presale code. It was actually a really smooth process- I got myself a GA ticket for each of the first two LA shows, no problem. The floor didn't seem crowded at those shows, either. There just seem to be less GA tickets available to purchase this time around than there were for 2015 tour. Less tickets and more expensive for the same exact thing.

Edited by ruthiemercury
  • Brilliant 1

Thank you to those fan advocates who have reached out to band's management, So many of us really appreciate all your hard work throughout this mess!

I'm still very confused about if this was a lottery. Oseary says it wasn't; however, I got a response from U2.com support TODAY saying only those "selected" would get a code for the next presales.

From Guy Oseary's response:

"There is no lottery element. Once a subscriber has filled out the verification details and the Setup Complete form turns GREEN, the verification process kicks in and as soon as someone is verified they are automatically emailed. Subscribers are sent emails confirming verification status the night before presales begin. Everyone verified gets the presale code, it’s not a lottery. "

From the email I received today (11/26)  from u2.com

"First and foremost I would like to apologize for the delayed response due to our high email volume and for any inconvenience this issue may cause. If you registered for the membership or renewed, this does not guarantee for a presale code. However if you have been Verified, you will receive an email with further instructions on the evening prior to the start of a subscriber presale.

(There will be a second round for the presale codes. If you are Selected as previously mentioned you will receive an email notification.)

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and hope you have a wonderful day.

Questions? Please reply to this email.

Sincerely,
Maritza
U2.com Support

--------

So what's the "if you are selected" bit about, if there's no lottery? It makes no sense. If you have a membership you're not guaranteed a code, but if you're verified you supposedly are, but still have to be "selected?"

I was one of the unlucky Experience members who got a (nonworking) code more than 24 hours after the presale. When I tried to use it got  "incorrect code" message.

So, Lottery or No? Seems like u2.com is saying it was.

REMEMBER THIS FROM 2005? THEY ONLY HAD 12.5 YEARS TO FIX THE ISSUE AND HERE WE ARE NOVEMBER 2017 AND IT'S WORSE THAN IT EVER WAS. AT LEAST THEN LARRY DID SOMTHING ABOUT IT AND IT SEEMED TO MATTER TO HIM.................I WONDER WHAT THE TWO WORDS FOR THE "SO CALLED" U2 FANS ARE NOW?.............CASH COWS? OVER TO YOU LARRY.

Larry Mullen has written an open letter to U2.com members, which arrived in our mailbox today just in time for our morning coffee break:

Dear (insert U2.com member name here),

This is not something that I would normally do, but I feel that I have to do something to redress this situation.

There was a mess up in the way the tickets were distributed through U2.com for the Vertigo pre-sale. Some of it was beyond our control, but some of it wasn’t.

I am now in the process of figuring out a way of distributing the tickets for our intended return to North America in the fall. The only fair way of doing this, is to give U2 Propaganda members, who are now U2.com members, priority in the queue.

After that, people will be given priority in the order in which they joined.

Many people who joined U2.com and didn’t get tickets are understandably angry. They now have the option to get a full refund of their subscription fee.

The idea that our long-time U2 fans and scalpers competed for U2 tickets through our own website is appalling to me. I want to apologise to you who have suffered that.

If your U2.com pre-sale experience has left you disappointed, I hope this will go some way towards reassuring you of our total commitment to our audience.

Slainte
Larry.

By the way, a note to those so-called U2 fans who are quick to accuse U2 of unseemly behaviour, I’ve only got two words for you…

I too got shut out of GA tix even with my verified fan and Innocence group access. Part of the problem I had may have been a TM problem with the Innocence presale option not showing up for 5 or 10 minutes when the sale started and my code for the public sale being invalid.

I'm not sure what he means by they are working to contact everyone who was on the list who hasn't been helped yet because I have yet to hear anything from anybody!

On 11/24/2017 at 12:01 PM, Mark Taylor said:

Thank you.

its an unknown as no details have been released for Europe, or how any of that would work at this point.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2017 at 7:27 PM, Cazza said:

Also worth mentioning to Guy the long term subscribers who had their presale access downgraded to innocence despite being signed up members on 24 December 2016. 

It is worth mentioning that people who were members as of Dec 2016 are in the same lot as those of us who have been members since Prop.  It's also worth mentioning that this letter came out the day before a major holiday, Thanksgiving.  I am just now back and able to look at all of this.  I got seats with my code, but I wanted GAs too.  This is the first tour ever that I could do GA.  I'm not complaining over those who did not or have not gotten a code, however; it still stinks.  I joined Prop when it started.  Now someone who joined last year is in the same group as those of us who have been members since the beginning.  Is this all they are going to do?  If so, it's unacceptable.  I'm on a limited income and it takes sacrifice to pay for memberships and then tickets, which are ridiculously priced...even at the lower levels.  Muse was $59.50 and had a huge stage show for the Drones tour. Twenty One Pilots were the same price.  The Killers are $95 for top ticket price in Chicago in Jan 2017.  The latter two bands sold out Chicago immediately. 

Either Adam or Larry once said that they keep down the price of GAs for the fan club and the seat prices are higher to offset cost.  They were answering the questioning of their ticket prices.  I've been defending U2.  That letter essentially says, "We messed up...sorry...see ya later.".  Now I'm irritated.  The longest standing members get lumped in with everyone else...which is very irritating and unfair.  It turns out that it doesn't even matter because it looks like nothing is being done to make this right.  Nobody is worth $325 for a seat.

This still does not take into account that all of this happened during a major holiday.  I cannot be the only one who is first now having a chance to see what is happening.  Even I am fed up with it.  I don't know, or remember, who Guy is, and I don't care.  That letter is dribble.  They need to do something to make this right for everyone.  They also need to stop demoting their longest standing fan club members and lumping us in with people who joined less than a year ago, because it's not right.  I've got a very bad taste in my mouth over all of this, and I got seats with my code.  I wanted GAs.  The GAs should go to the fan club in the order of when people joined.  Prop members should have the first crack at them and then it should descend from that.  This sucks and it does not look like they are going to do anything but tell us what we already know; that they screwed up big time.  Maybe if they took their time when implementing a new system, this would not happen. Algorithms?  Who cares?  I do not.  Fix it and make it right.

Which is more important...getting GAs to those of us who've been here longest and those behind us or getting the tour on sale for the holidays?  This whole thing is atrocious.  How long have we been waiting for this tour?  The younger people I know are quite critical of this band. They say Bono has a big mouth and gets $300 plus for people to sit and listen to him talk.  I tell them they are wrong.  I'm not sure what I'm going to tell them now.  That letter is just another slap in the face.

I am starting to think this is it for me.  I can go see Dawes 12 times for what it costs for one U2 show.  Dawes is, arguably, the best live rock band touring.  I've seen that written by many different music critics.  I have seen them 16 times this tour alone and all those shows, including service fees, cost $65 less than two tickets for U2, BEFORE service fees.  The same is true of The Head and the Heart. I've seen them ten times this last tour.  Those ten shows came to around what one ticket for U2 costs...again BEFORE service fees.

Many thanks to the Mods for your efforts.  You are appreciated.  I don't appreciate that letter.  It's insulting to all of us who have been fans all these years and to the new fans as well.  Algorithms?  Instead of giving excuses he should be giving solutions.  I know a lot of people who would not have a job if they came back with such a weak reply to such a huge debacle.  I don't care about algorithms.  I care about getting that for which I paid year after year after year.

Edited by Manohlive

18 hours ago, donella said:

If you registered for the membership or renewed, this does not guarantee for a presale code.

How is this true when the major selling point of becoming a member is to get exclusive access to early ticket presales for tours?  It is not why I joined and have rejoined but it is why most do join.  I am thoroughly disgusted by all of this.  I thought that when I came back today-there would be some solution.  Instead, we got a bs letter giving nothing but excuses and it solved nothing.  What about people's stress?  What about people's time and effort?  What about people's disappointment?  I've got two words as well...they are not aimed at the band but they are for the idiot who wrote that letter.

Edited by Manohlive

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

It is worth mentioning that people who were members as of Dec 2016 are in the same lot as those of us who have been members since Prop.  It's also worth mentioning that this letter came out the day before a major holiday, Thanksgiving.  I am just now back and able to look at all of this.  I got seats with my code, but I wanted GAs too.  This is the first tour ever that I could do GA.  I'm not complaining over those who did not or have not gotten a code, however; it still stinks.  I joined Prop when it started.  Now someone who joined last year is in the same group as those of us who have been members since the beginning.  Is this all they are going to do?  If so, it's unacceptable.  I'm on a limited income and it takes sacrifice to pay for memberships and then tickets, which are ridiculously priced...even at the lower levels.  Muse was $59.50 and had a huge stage show for the Drones tour. Twenty One Pilots were the same price.  The Killers are $95 for top ticket price in Chicago in Jan 2017.  The latter two bands sold out Chicago immediately. 

Either Adam or Larry once said that they keep down the price of GAs for the fan club and the seat prices are higher to offset cost.  They were answering the questioning of their ticket prices.  I've been defending U2.  That letter essentially says, "We messed up...sorry...see ya later.".  Now I'm irritated.  The longest standing members get lumped in with everyone else...which is very irritating and unfair.  It turns out that it doesn't even matter because it looks like nothing is being done to make this right.  Nobody is worth $325 for a seat.

This still does not take into account that all of this happened during a major holiday.  I cannot be the only one who is first now having a chance to see what is happening.  Even I am fed up with it.  I don't know, or remember, who Guy is, and I don't care.  That letter is dribble.  They need to do something to make this right for everyone.  They also need to stop demoting their longest standing fan club members and lumping us in with people who joined less than a year ago, because it's not right.  I've got a very bad taste in my mouth over all of this, and I got seats with my code.  I wanted GAs.  The GAs should go to the fan club in the order of when people joined.  Prop members should have the first crack at them and then it should descend from that.  This sucks and it does not look like they are going to do anything but tell us what we already know; that they screwed up big time.  Maybe if they took their time when implementing a new system, this would not happen. Algorithms?  Who cares?  I do not.  Fix it and make it right.

Which is more important...getting GAs to those of us who've been here longest and those behind us or getting the tour on sale for the holidays?  This whole thing is atrocious.  How long have we been waiting for this tour?  The younger people I know are quite critical of this band. They say Bono has a big mouth and gets $300 plus for people to sit and listen to him talk.  I tell them they are wrong.  I'm not sure what I'm going to tell them now.  That letter is just another slap in the face.

I am starting to think this is it for me.  I can go see Dawes 12 times for what it costs for one U2 show.  Dawes is, arguably, the best live rock band touring.  I've seen that written by many different music critics.  I have seen them 16 times this tour alone and all those shows, including service fees, cost $65 less than two tickets for U2, BEFORE service fees.  The same is true of The Head and the Heart. I've seen them ten times this last tour.  Those ten shows came to around what one ticket for U2 costs...again BEFORE service fees.

Many thanks to the Mods for your efforts.  You are appreciated.  I don't appreciate that letter.  It's insulting to all of us who have been fans all these years and to the new fans as well.  Algorithms?  Instead of giving excuses he should be giving solutions.  I know a lot of people who would not have a job if they came back with such a weak reply to such a huge debacle.  I don't care about algorithms.  I care about getting that for which I paid year after year after year.

Hey MAN....

Every word I hear...feel...resonate....empathize with and I'm sure I speak for many other fans as well.

One thing I'd like to address is that just because we are very ''seasoned" U2 fans doesn't make us better, though. Regardless if you been listening to them since 1983(as I) 0r,.... just got into them NOW. It's ALL good.....and I respect the new comers into this fantastic realm of musical genius and spirituality....

I think U2 feeds off of all types of fans.....from the ones that they have just reached and given birth to new musical insight.....to US old and reliable ones....we are all important and equal. BUT....if you are a 'club' member with a renewed membership....we should have guaranteed 1st access to GA's...because those are the tickets that are most coveted by dedicated fans...(whether old or new)...... Get what I Mean?

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

Manohlive, I agree.  Sadly, I am beginning to realize that I am coming to the end of an era: seeing U2 live.  I have always been willing to do whatever it took to get tickets.  I’ve slept in parking lots (ZOO TV & ZOO TV Outside Broadcast) and waited in line at the venue in near 100-degree weather.  It was always a small price to pay to see them.  With each tour, ticket prices rose, my little crew of fans shrunk yet I remained the steadfast in my loyalty.  But it got harder.

Now I am at a point in life where I feel it wouldn’t be terrible if a missed a tour.  I’d be disappointed, but I believe my bucket list for U2 shows has been checked off.  I haven’t seen a show in Europe and that is the one I’d still put in the effort to try and get tickets, but if I don’t, it would be okay.

I realize that they had to partner with TM/LN if they were going to tour North America.  I don’t know how they do it in Europe/Asia/Latin America.  A band of their size couldn’t eschew an operator/organization like TM if they wanted to have the kind of tour they wanted to have.  Because of that, TM’s gonna call the shots.  I was never fond of them, going back to the days of their exorbitant Convenience Fees (early 90s), and no one I knew was fond of them either. 

Fast forward 25 years and I can happily say that I’ve seen plenty of shows.  My tour count while nowhere near some of the numbers I’ve seen in this forum, stands at a respectable 28.  Joshua Tree 2017 was the last tour I saw and might be the last tour.  If it is, I consider myself very fortunate in being able to see a band I have loved since high school, so many times.

I will always be a fan. 

As always, thanks to the Mods for keeping us informed and doing your best to calm the restless natives (I count myself as one of them). 

17 minutes ago, unforgettableu2 said:

Hey MAN....

Every word I hear...feel...resonate....empathize with and I'm sure I speak for many other fans as well.

One thing I'd like to address is that just because we are very ''seasoned" U2 fans doesn't make us better, though. Regardless if you been listening to them since 1983(as I) 0r,.... just got into them NOW. It's ALL good.....and I respect the new comers into this fantastic realm of musical genius and spirituality....

I think U2 feeds off of all types of fans.....from the ones that they have just reached and given birth to new musical insight.....to US old and reliable ones....we are all important and equal. BUT....if you are a 'club' member with a renewed membership....we should have guaranteed 1st access to GA's...because those are the tickets that are most coveted by dedicated fans...(whether old or new)...... Get what I Mean?

I don't think I'm better than anyone because I was a Prop member.  I do believe in first come first serve.  They've been whittling away at the Prop standing for some time now. I did not mind until I realized how many more people were trying for tickets which Prop members have been paying to get first crack at for a long time.  Presales are the prime selling point of fan clubs, including U2.com.  Now even Prop members are not guaranteed tickets in a presale?  That is not right.  It has nothing to do with being better.  I totally get what you mean.  In the end, when house goes to half and then to whole and the stage lights come up and the music begins...we are all equal.

Edited by Manohlive

The I&E tour was the easiest tickets I ever bought. I paid my subscription. Got my early access and bought my two tickets. Simple as that. I was even able to buy two more tickets to a later show through the genral sale. Now I can’t even buy in the general sale unless I get picked in this lottery. The whole thing is a disaster and still ended up the same as always in having people reselling tickets for triple the price. Pointless. 

On 26/11/2017 at 10:54 PM, donella said:

Thank you to those fan advocates who have reached out to band's management, So many of us really appreciate all your hard work throughout this mess!

I'm still very confused about if this was a lottery. Oseary says it wasn't; however, I got a response from U2.com support TODAY saying only those "selected" would get a code for the next presales.

From Guy Oseary's response:

"There is no lottery element. Once a subscriber has filled out the verification details and the Setup Complete form turns GREEN, the verification process kicks in and as soon as someone is verified they are automatically emailed. Subscribers are sent emails confirming verification status the night before presales begin. Everyone verified gets the presale code, it’s not a lottery. "

From the email I received today (11/26)  from u2.com

"First and foremost I would like to apologize for the delayed response due to our high email volume and for any inconvenience this issue may cause. If you registered for the membership or renewed, this does not guarantee for a presale code. However if you have been Verified, you will receive an email with further instructions on the evening prior to the start of a subscriber presale.

(There will be a second round for the presale codes. If you are Selected as previously mentioned you will receive an email notification.)

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and hope you have a wonderful day.

Questions? Please reply to this email.

Sincerely,
Maritza
U2.com Support

--------

So what's the "if you are selected" bit about, if there's no lottery? It makes no sense. If you have a membership you're not guaranteed a code, but if you're verified you supposedly are, but still have to be "selected?"

I was one of the unlucky Experience members who got a (nonworking) code more than 24 hours after the presale. When I tried to use it got  "incorrect code" message.

So, Lottery or No? Seems like u2.com is saying it was.