Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Max Tsukino

Update: U2 Manager Guy Oseary Responds To Fans' Concerns Over E+I Tour Pre-sales

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 6:46 AM, unforgettableu2 said:

I'm not sure nodevotion.....But, the GA's went somewhere.....mysteriously....*****cough**** ****Cough*****

But u2 tickets have always been a very difficult endeavor for me....through out my 34 years of seeing their various concerts.

I can't recall one easy time I had....well, maybe for unforgettable fire.

All the rest of them.....was not an easy task. But, by far.....this has been the most obtuse experience.

I believe there was some kind of relationship. The band performed for Dreamforce in 2016 at the Cow Palace here in the SF Bay Area. A friend of mine who works for SalesForce said tickets were available to their employees on a limited basis. She said she had the opportunity to go, but wasn't sure because it was on a weeknight. I said, "Are you crazy? Go!!"  Well, she did and had an awesome time.

Getting U2 tickets has been hard for me, too.  I waited in line--overnight--for Zoo TV way back in '92. But other than staying awake in the cold, it was probably the easiest. We were fourth in line and the employees of the music store (The Wherehouse) all took our orders beforehand so that the BASSMaster could print them up the moment tickets went on sale at 10:00 a.m.

PopMart '97 required us to leave the music store we were at because their computers went down and to race the closest ticket venue. We had to do this with several dozen other fans who were doing the same thing. There was this whole Oklahoma Land Rush dash that made everyone break a few vehicular codes. The irony was that the show eventually did not sell out.

Elevation '01 was crazy because we decided to try and buy at the venue (SAP Center now) and wow, the folks working the ticket booth were lame--and very slow. Vertigo '05 was the debacle that Larry actually apologized for and what a good dude he was for doing that. 360, i+e, and JT all had their usually frustrations with server overload/delays/timing out/etc. which always made for an anxiety-filled day.

It's something that fans have had to accept for decades now. I wouldn't say we've grown accustomed to it; just something we endure. I guess it comes with the territory if you want see the biggest band in the world.

5 hours ago, 504jumper said:

I believe there was some kind of relationship. The band performed for Dreamforce in 2016 at the Cow Palace here in the SF Bay Area. A friend of mine who works for SalesForce said tickets were available to their employees on a limited basis. She said she had the opportunity to go, but wasn't sure because it was on a weeknight. I said, "Are you crazy? Go!!"  Well, she did and had an awesome time.

Getting U2 tickets has been hard for me, too.  I waited in line--overnight--for Zoo TV way back in '92. But other than staying awake in the cold, it was probably the easiest. We were fourth in line and the employees of the music store (The Wherehouse) all took our orders beforehand so that the BASSMaster could print them up the moment tickets went on sale at 10:00 a.m.

PopMart '97 required us to leave the music store we were at because their computers went down and to race the closest ticket venue. We had to do this with several dozen other fans who were doing the same thing. There was this whole Oklahoma Land Rush dash that made everyone break a few vehicular codes. The irony was that the show eventually did not sell out.

Elevation '01 was crazy because we decided to try and buy at the venue (SAP Center now) and wow, the folks working the ticket booth were lame--and very slow. Vertigo '05 was the debacle that Larry actually apologized for and what a good dude he was for doing that. 360, i+e, and JT all had their usually frustrations with server overload/delays/timing out/etc. which always made for an anxiety-filled day.

It's something that fans have had to accept for decades now. I wouldn't say we've grown accustomed to it; just something we endure. I guess it comes with the territory if you want see the biggest band in the world.

Everything you said 504,....I can validate, because I experienced some of the same difficulties you expressed, too.

In many concerts, I had to go via "scalper."...because I couldn't obtain tickets the traditional route. I don't know which was a worse experience for me, Joshua tree or Zoo Tv....both were insane. Joshua tree in chicago had a lottery system, notified after waiting all night...and 27th in line....and then I got pushed back to #228......I was masterfully pissed off.....:angry: I paid 500+ for scalper tickets(zoo tv)....ect....

I've never missed a show.....but, I had to work for every damn ticket.....but, if you'd asked me to do it again....I'd happily say "sure"...:rolleyes:

However, obtaining tickets for this current show.....has been a labyrinth from hell.....on a new scale! .....something went wrong...very wrong.....beyond the normal scope,.... even for U2.

I can't believe GA's are still the most coveted after all these years......considering the aging demographic who is purchasing them. I will be honest.....GA is not for the faint of heart....and it is getting harder....and harder for me to literally stand all day.....and then stand before/during the concert. I don't know how the band does it....they have 10+ years on me.....I wish I had their energy/endurance.

I passed out(briefly) for the first time(ever) during GA at this summer's JT tour....from dehydration, sun exposure,  too much body heat & exhaustion. It not only takes work to obtain GA tickets....but also sustaining the long haul of the day standing/waiting in line. I do love the awesome exchanges with other u2 fans while we wait.....

One big family.....and for that....it is all worth it....anything of great value in life.....is always worth striving for......

2 hours ago, unforgettableu2 said:

Everything you said 504,....I can validate, because I experienced some of the same difficulties you expressed, too.

In many concerts, I had to go via "scalper."...because I couldn't obtain tickets the traditional route. I don't know which was a worse experience for me, Joshua tree or Zoo Tv....both were insane. Joshua tree in chicago had a lottery system, notified after waiting all night...and 27th in line....and then I got pushed back to #228......I was masterfully pissed off.....:angry: I paid 500+ for scalper tickets(zoo tv)....ect....

I've never missed a show.....but, I had to work for every damn ticket.....but, if you'd asked me to do it again....I'd happily say "sure"...:rolleyes:

However, obtaining tickets for this current show.....has been a labyrinth from hell.....on a new scale! .....something went wrong...very wrong.....beyond the normal scope,.... even for U2.

I can't believe GA's are still the most coveted after all these years......considering the aging demographic who is purchasing them. I will be honest.....GA is not for the faint of heart....and it is getting harder....and harder for me to literally stand all day.....and then stand before/during the concert. I don't know how the band does it....they have 10+ years on me.....I wish I had their energy/endurance.

I passed out(briefly) for the first time(ever) during GA at this summer's JT tour....from dehydration, sun exposure,  too much body heat & exhaustion. It not only takes work to obtain GA tickets....but also sustaining the long haul of the day standing/waiting in line. I do love the awesome exchanges with other u2 fans while we wait.....

One big family.....and for that....it is all worth it....anything of great value in life.....is always worth striving for......

unforgettable, I agree it's still worth it and I love being in this big, crazy, worldwide family for three decades now. And U2 show is like a reunion. But like a family we all get old.

With each tour, I always wonder if it will be my last. The first time I thought that was Elevation '01 and I kept thinking maybe I'm getting too old for rock concerts.  I was only in my 30s, but felt that first show was tough. We had GA tickets and it was all about "getting into the heart", which we did.  We stood in the rain (only a part of the line was sheltered) and I was cold and tired by the time we made it onto the floor. I caught my second wind and it was one of the best shows I had been to.

I'm in my late 40s now and while still in decent shape, I sigh at the thought of the long day that is GA. I had Club Level seats for JT '17 and Lower Reserve seats for i+e '15. Trying to get tickets for e+i 2018 was the hardest it has ever been and definitely not for the casual fan. Something definitely went wrong this time.

My heart goes out to you, I've never passed out at a show but have seen a few. A young woman passed out right next to me during 360 '09 (Dallas). She was very intoxicated and I grabbed her before she hit the ground. We signaled for help and some staff carried her to an aid tent. But, I've passed out from heat exhaustion a few times in my life--never a fun thing.

I too had some great conversations with fans while in line. I met this dude (Pete) from England at a show in Anaheim. He came all the way from England to see a show. He worked a grocery and didn't make a lot of money. But he saved and made it all the way out to California. My crew liked him so much we hung out after the 2nd show and bought him dinner. He was a cool dude.

8 minutes ago, 504jumper said:

unforgettable, I agree it's still worth it and I love being in this big, crazy, worldwide family for three decades now. And U2 show is like a reunion. But like a family we all get old.

With each tour, I always wonder if it will be my last. The first time I thought that was Elevation '01 and I kept thinking maybe I'm getting too old for rock concerts.  I was only in my 30s, but felt that first show was tough. We had GA tickets and it was all about "getting into the heart", which we did.  We stood in the rain (only a part of the line was sheltered) and I was cold and tired by the time we made it onto the floor. I caught my second wind and it was one of the best shows I had been to.

I'm in my late 40s now and while still in decent shape, I sigh at the thought of the long day that is GA. I had Club Level seats for JT '17 and Lower Reserve seats for i+e '15. Trying to get tickets for e+i 2018 was the hardest it has ever been and definitely not for the casual fan. Something definitely went wrong this time.

My heart goes out to you, I've never passed out at a show but have seen a few. A young woman passed out right next to me during 360 '09 (Dallas). She was very intoxicated and I grabbed her before she hit the ground. We signaled for help and some staff carried her to an aid tent. But, I've passed out from heat exhaustion a few times in my life--never a fun thing.

I too had some great conversations with fans while in line. I met this dude (Pete) from England at a show in Anaheim. He came all the way from England to see a show. He worked a grocery and didn't make a lot of money. But he saved and made it all the way out to California. My crew liked him so much we hung out after the 2nd show and bought him dinner. He was a cool dude.

504....I hear you.....really I do.

I've had GA ever since Zoo tv......I think POP was the exception, I had club seats.....but, even at almost 39 years old & 8 mths. pregnant with my 3rd child, I had GA as well.(360 tour). fellow fans were so kind and protective of me....so much love. I would never consider this at any other concert.....U2 fans are very kind and special people. I am amazed by the plethora of people who come to see them....from all over the world.....truly dedicated.

At this last  JT tour, I brought my two girls,  and wanted  to bring my little guy, too....but, he was sick and stayed behind with a baby sitter.(i was worried about him all night/guilty leaving him).  we had to travel 12 hours, stay at a hotel ect. I think I passed out from mostly anxiety/dehydration because I was giving my girls all the limited rations of water, in fear, they would pass out. They were very hot/tired, too.....and I am a bit embarrassed that I passed out it front of my kids. They were so scared.....and I am lucky my husband caught me in time. I have never passed out before....so it was quite surreal! Edge witnessed what happened......and gave my little girl his pick.....(so sweet).

I couldn't get tickets for my kids this time because of all the presale issues(they're truly bummed).....but, I still feel very lucky that my husband and I are able to go. I was worried this would have been my first U2 show, that I wouldn't attend since unforgettable fire.

hopefully this time around, I won't pass out.....and my body won't betray me....:unsure:

10 hours ago, unforgettableu2 said:

Ditto on all counts. My hubby and I were so exhausted after doing GA for JT this summer that we seriously debated whether or not to go for seats this time around. Hubby is over 50 and I'm fast approaching it, and we DO feel our age by the end of the night! But then we decided to take one more kick at the can, especially because, as this is the last tour under the current contract (to which we all say AMEN!! given the issues), we don't know what the future holds for either the band or for us. And there is just something special about making a day of it and hanging out with our U2 family. We have met awesome people over the years, some of whom we have become pretty close friends with and stay in contact now over Facebook, even though we live miles apart and see each other only in the GA line! 

1 hour ago, Tracy M said:

Ditto on all counts. My hubby and I were so exhausted after doing GA for JT this summer that we seriously debated whether or not to go for seats this time around. Hubby is over 50 and I'm fast approaching it, and we DO feel our age by the end of the night! But then we decided to take one more kick at the can, especially because, as this is the last tour under the current contract (to which we all say AMEN!! given the issues), we don't know what the future holds for either the band or for us. And there is just something special about making a day of it and hanging out with our U2 family. We have met awesome people over the years, some of whom we have become pretty close friends with and stay in contact now over Facebook, even though we live miles apart and see each other only in the GA line! 

Tracy...

I wrote you a message earlier, my computer 'froze' and I lost all my commentary.....

Any way, Yes.....Aging is cruel.....

The aches, pains and sore feet during the GA process keeps our "brain'' in reality......the body will often betray us no matter how much we will it.

Bono's health scare really defines this notion....or even his bike accident. I'm sure the band has had to mentally transition and obey the body....or there will be consequences.

I will be more mindful this time around to nurture my body....for, it can't endure the abuse that I have inflicted upon it when I was young. (like not eating/drinking water,  all day, wearing high heels and staying up all night. I'm still a night owl.....and don't drink enough water....but, I am more cognitive of it's effects....unlike when being young.....

Front row/GA is the only way I will see U2  concert at this point of my life. I've acquired a certain expectation....and no other way will suffice......

Although, I 've seen U2 in many different ways....EVEN "LAWN".....and U2 some how has a way of reaching every fan.....from front row.....to behind stage/bleeder seats.

I hope this is not U2's last tour.....but, like you stated...as fans.....we didn't know if it will be ours as well.

we must live life.....NOW......and the most beautiful/meaningful experiences are often derived from some sort of pain/discomfort. Discomfort gives us appreciation for the very things we want......without it.....the world would be full of entitlement/complacency....

11 hours ago, unforgettableu2 said:

I've had GA ever since Zoo tv......I think POP was the exception, I had club seats.....but, even at almost 39 years old & 8 mths. pregnant with my 3rd child, I had GA as well.(360 tour). fellow fans were so kind and protective of me....so much love. I would never consider this at any other concert.....U2 fans are very kind and special people. I am amazed by the plethora of people who come to see them....from all over the world.....truly dedicated.

At this last  JT tour, I brought my two girls,  and wanted  to bring my little guy, too....but, he was sick and stayed behind with a baby sitter.(i was worried about him all night/guilty leaving him).  we had to travel 12 hours, stay at a hotel ect. I think I passed out from mostly anxiety/dehydration because I was giving my girls all the limited rations of water, in fear, they would pass out. They were very hot/tired, too.....and I am a bit embarrassed that I passed out it front of my kids. They were so scared.....and I am lucky my husband caught me in time. I have never passed out before....so it was quite surreal! Edge witnessed what happened......and gave my little girl his pick.....(so sweet).

I couldn't get tickets for my kids this time because of all the presale issues(they're truly bummed).....but, I still feel very lucky that my husband and I are able to go. I was worried this would have been my first U2 show, that I wouldn't attend since unforgettable fire.

hopefully this time around, I won't pass out.....and my body won't betray me....:unsure:

unforgettableu, you are a trooper. I have the highest respect for our pregnant fans who gut it out floor/field. Wow. Yes, I too noticed that many fans were protective of the ladies who were pregnant. It one of the many reasons why it's good to be in this family.

It was a good thing your husband was there to catch you and no need to be embarrassed--even though you were. U2 fans look out for each other.

Dehydration/exhaustion can sneak up on you very quickly. In my past life, I found staying hydrated was the key when I was in tough environments.  Experience has taught me to be prepared on GA days. I always start with a big breakfast (and pop a multivitamin) and make sure I've got my GA pack: water, protein bars, Advil, sunblock, lip balm, gum, etc.  I'm sure you'll have yours, too. :) You'll be better prepared this time.

I feel so lucky that I scored tickets. I was so sure that I wouldn't.

13 hours ago, unforgettableu2 said:

Interesting. I have never in my experience (going allll the way back) have had difficulty getting tickets. I was lucky this time, too, but from what my peers have told me, this was the worse. I have travelled far and wide (before on line sales) and showed up with no ticket in hand always to find either a box office drop day of show, or a fellow fan with an extra. Proudly say I never paid a scalper... I do miss the interaction of the old days, camping out for tickets where you had to be there to buy them. Forged some friendships in those lines that still endure today. I still feel the only to suppress the scalpers is to go back to ticket outlets... Scalpers will still get some, but it'll cost them to pay people to stand in line, and they can't be guaranteed good seats... 

Anyway, as far as tickets for the kids go, I would keep checking the venue regularly for a ticket drop. Or, if the show is local for you, take the day of show off. hang out at the venue. I would bet you'll find a fellow fan who ended up with an extra and would rather sell to another fan and just recoup his expense...

Keep the faith. Good karma always rewards those who trust blind faith!  :)

7 hours ago, gpmalecki said:

Interesting. I have never in my experience (going allll the way back) have had difficulty getting tickets. I was lucky this time, too, but from what my peers have told me, this was the worse. I have travelled far and wide (before on line sales) and showed up with no ticket in hand always to find either a box office drop day of show, or a fellow fan with an extra. Proudly say I never paid a scalper... I do miss the interaction of the old days, camping out for tickets where you had to be there to buy them. Forged some friendships in those lines that still endure today. I still feel the only to suppress the scalpers is to go back to ticket outlets... Scalpers will still get some, but it'll cost them to pay people to stand in line, and they can't be guaranteed good seats... 

Anyway, as far as tickets for the kids go, I would keep checking the venue regularly for a ticket drop. Or, if the show is local for you, take the day of show off. hang out at the venue. I would bet you'll find a fellow fan who ended up with an extra and would rather sell to another fan and just recoup his expense...

Keep the faith. Good karma always rewards those who trust blind faith!  :)

Malecki.....

hey....I wish I had your  ticket purchasing experiences.....

I have met others like you....but, I have also met many like myself, too.....U2 tickets are like putting your quarter in the gumball machine.....sometimes you get a great prize....other times....not so much. I've never had luck that way....but, in terms of meeting the band....now, that I've been far more successful.....three times....so it makes up for all the ticket misfortune.

My first U2 concert was Unforgettable fire, not GA....(because my friend's brother didn't want it...).....Joshua tree was a lottery system from hell.....

Zootv was phone order....sold out in minutes. I followed them around....so I sometimes had GA, sometimes seats, sometimes lawn and one time no tickets, and U2's Roadie Heavy duty got us in....front row....(some fans were pissed who waited all day in GA line).

And so on and so on....with every tour....  POP, (couldn't get GA), Elevation(GA Scalper)),  vertigo,(GA Scalper) 360 ( GAEbay), I & E(GA), JT (GA).... and E & I (GA/miracle). I've seen U2 mostly in Chicago....but I've seen them St. Louis,  DC, & NC.

I have to travel to see U2 since I moved from Chicago, to NC. (won't come to, due to political discourse).

GA's are the problem....I can get tickets.....just not the highly coveted GA's! Even if  they drop more GA's close to or the day of the concert, there is a slim chance for multiple tickets being available. Since I travel and have kids.....I can't wing it....like when I was high school/college. One isolated GA may turn up....but, not 2 or 3???

I just haven't tried...because it's so risky/uncertain....

I will try to call ticket master and see if they may have 2 Ga's mysteriously waiting for my name on it...closer to the date of the show.(DC).;)

9 hours ago, 504jumper said:

unforgettableu, you are a trooper. I have the highest respect for our pregnant fans who gut it out floor/field. Wow. Yes, I too noticed that many fans were protective of the ladies who were pregnant. It one of the many reasons why it's good to be in this family.

It was a good thing your husband was there to catch you and no need to be embarrassed--even though you were. U2 fans look out for each other.

Dehydration/exhaustion can sneak up on you very quickly. In my past life, I found staying hydrated was the key when I was in tough environments.  Experience has taught me to be prepared on GA days. I always start with a big breakfast (and pop a multivitamin) and make sure I've got my GA pack: water, protein bars, Advil, sunblock, lip balm, gum, etc.  I'm sure you'll have yours, too. :) You'll be better prepared this time.

I feel so lucky that I scored tickets. I was so sure that I wouldn't.

Hey 504....

Thanks for all your kind words and assurance!..... You know, I find it difficult to drink enough water because I don't want to be peeing all day or especially have a full bladder during the concert.:wacko:  I got away with this minimal water tactic up to my early 40's....and then bam!!! 46 years  old, changed that!

Once you're front row....you pretty much can't move......you have to be glued to the spot. Now, when I was 8 months preggers....fans were very empathetic to the pee breaks, and saved my spot without issues. This last JT Tour, it was a little more cut throat.....because JT attracted a different fan base(more mainstream) into the GA mix.....old time fans are traditionally respectful, tolerant and polite/kind.

I feel very, very fortunate this time around, to obtain GA's....for a multitude of reasons....

The difficult presale was just one aspect......

But, Bono's health is another.....and it's still looming over my head....haunting me with anxiety.  I always knew this conversation would be inevitable in the future....but, I don't like to think about anything happening to my most favorite 4 people in the world(next to my family/best friends).

This might be their last concert....? I really pray not....but, I'm sure as hell going to treat it as such.....cherish and savor every song/moment.

Hi, I had a problem with my code, I could not buy any tickets.
the code displayed only the VIP packages not the other sectors.
I tried many times but the problem continued even on the dates that were later.
Can you explain to me if my code has problems? I have not bought any tickets for this problem, can you help me? thank you.

Davide

14 hours ago, unforgettableu2 said:

Malecki.....

hey....I wish I had your  ticket purchasing experiences.....

I have met others like you....but, I have also met many like myself, too.....U2 tickets are like putting your quarter in the gumball machine.....sometimes you get a great prize....other times....not so much. I've never had luck that way....but, in terms of meeting the band....now, that I've been far more successful.....three times....so it makes up for all the ticket misfortune.

My first U2 concert was Unforgettable fire, not GA....(because my friend's brother didn't want it...).....Joshua tree was a lottery system from hell.....

Zootv was phone order....sold out in minutes. I followed them around....so I sometimes had GA, sometimes seats, sometimes lawn and one time no tickets, and U2's Roadie Heavy duty got us in....front row....(some fans were pissed who waited all day in GA line).

And so on and so on....with every tour....  POP, (couldn't get GA), Elevation(GA Scalper)),  vertigo,(GA Scalper) 360 ( GAEbay), I & E(GA), JT (GA).... and E & I (GA/miracle). I've seen U2 mostly in Chicago....but I've seen them St. Louis,  DC, & NC.

I have to travel to see U2 since I moved from Chicago, to NC. (won't come to, due to political discourse).

GA's are the problem....I can get tickets.....just not the highly coveted GA's! Even if  they drop more GA's close to or the day of the concert, there is a slim chance for multiple tickets being available. Since I travel and have kids.....I can't wing it....like when I was high school/college. One isolated GA may turn up....but, not 2 or 3???

I just haven't tried...because it's so risky/uncertain....

I will try to call ticket master and see if they may have 2 Ga's mysteriously waiting for my name on it...closer to the date of the show.(DC).;)

I understand, the older and more settled we get, the more difficult it becomes to trow caution to the wind... My travel to shows has decreased dramatically since kids came along. I finally hit show 50 last summer for TJT in Miami after missing i/e completely for reasons mentioned. No show close by and not able to travel. I'm glad they added Atlanta this time because I swore to myself if they dissed Dr. King's hometown again, I wasn't travelling again.  :)

I will say best experience I had was Zoo TV, myself and 2 buddies went to Boston for St Patricks day show and all ended up with GA. Same for Charlotte. Have you been to u2start.com? It's a fan site... around tour time they usually have a forum set up for fans either looking to swap, acquire or sell. You won't always find what you want, but you can post what you're looking for and maybe get a result. Worth a try... Plus it's a cool site.

If you're in NC, why aren't you trying Atlanta?  And btw... I'm still convinced there will be seats released. That they are blocking out until they sell out the high dollar seats. I also suspect that this is why there haven't been more 2nd shows announced. I think they (LN/TM) were expecting us to revolt against that ridiculous $329 price point  .  

Hey 504....

Thanks for all your kind words and assurance!..... You know, I find it difficult to drink enough water because I don't want to be peeing all day or especially have a full bladder during the concert.:wacko:  I got away with this minimal water tactic up to my early 40's....and then bam!!! 46 years  old, changed that!

Once you're front row....you pretty much can't move......you have to be glued to the spot. Now, when I was 8 months preggers....fans were very empathetic to the pee breaks, and saved my spot without issues. This last JT Tour, it was a little more cut throat.....because JT attracted a different fan base(more mainstream) into the GA mix.....old time fans are traditionally respectful, tolerant and polite/kind.

I feel very, very fortunate this time around, to obtain GA's....for a multitude of reasons....

The difficult presale was just one aspect......

But, Bono's health is another.....and it's still looming over my head....haunting me with anxiety.  I always knew this conversation would be inevitable in the future....but, I don't like to think about anything happening to my most favorite 4 people in the world(next to my family/best friends).

This might be their last concert....? I really pray not....but, I'm sure as hell going to treat it as such.....cherish and savor every song/moment.

Your welcome, unforgettableu. BTW, my name is Rich.

Yes, there is a fine balance between just enough water to stay hydrated and drinking too much so that you're going every 20 minutes. I've had Reserve Seats for the past 2 tours and got to go whenever I wanted, but I found that I stayed put as well.

I remember having a great spot for 360 and was locked in some time after Lenny Kravitz ended his set. There was a period where I took the opportunity to hit the bathroom one last time. But when I got back, I knew I'd be there for the rest of the night. It also limited by beer intake. ;)

Yes, you were very lucky to score GAs. They are very, very hard to get.

I don't know much about Bono's health, other than what was hinted at in recent news. But now that our boys are closer to 60 than 50, I'm sure that they are all taking their health issues much more seriously. We all love them so much so to even think that this might be their "last ride" is distressing. I've always wondered how they would announce their retirement, even though I think that it is far away. Or at least I'd like to believe that.

On 12/13/2017 at 12:18 PM, 504jumper said:

Your welcome, unforgettableu. BTW, my name is Rich.

Yes, there is a fine balance between just enough water to stay hydrated and drinking too much so that you're going every 20 minutes. I've had Reserve Seats for the past 2 tours and got to go whenever I wanted, but I found that I stayed put as well.

I remember having a great spot for 360 and was locked in some time after Lenny Kravitz ended his set. There was a period where I took the opportunity to hit the bathroom one last time. But when I got back, I knew I'd be there for the rest of the night. It also limited by beer intake. ;)

Yes, you were very lucky to score GAs. They are very, very hard to get.

I don't know much about Bono's health, other than what was hinted at in recent news. But now that our boys are closer to 60 than 50, I'm sure that they are all taking their health issues much more seriously. We all love them so much so to even think that this might be their "last ride" is distressing. I've always wondered how they would announce their retirement, even though I think that it is far away. Or at least I'd like to believe that.

Hi, Rich....my real name is Danette....

You know, I have never drank at a U2 concert...just one more contributing factor to the bladder break issues....

I've always been completely coherent......for U2's music is intoxicating enough....for me....:rolleyes:

it's been great corresponding with you....it's only natural to address one another by our names...:)

You know, I relate to some of Bono's lyrics in SOE.....you can hear a displacement in his voice.....a life transition.....a reflection/introspection. I would hate this to be the last ride for them....like you stated! It is very "distressing'' to think about....for U2's music has served such a vital part of my life.....it would be like losing an old friend...who's always been there.

and you are right....that the band is pushing 60.....and entering a new chapter in life. Their story has been rich in context and yet, I feel there is so much more to be written. I do believe the urgency to discover that true 'purpose' in life.....becomes  a focal point when we age or endure health issues. And....it proves.....that you can be the most famous rock stars in the world, humanitarians, travel the world, see and experience everything....and still feel a void or incomplete inside your soul.

when does that journey stop? I don't think we are supposed to feel  totally comfortable/fulfilled in life.....because that is when we truly age. The restless spirit keeps the curious child in us alive/vital. I don't think we are ever supposed to find what we are looking for?

12 hours ago, gpmalecki said:

I understand, the older and more settled we get, the more difficult it becomes to trow caution to the wind... My travel to shows has decreased dramatically since kids came along. I finally hit show 50 last summer for TJT in Miami after missing i/e completely for reasons mentioned. No show close by and not able to travel. I'm glad they added Atlanta this time because I swore to myself if they dissed Dr. King's hometown again, I wasn't travelling again.  :)

I will say best experience I had was Zoo TV, myself and 2 buddies went to Boston for St Patricks day show and all ended up with GA. Same for Charlotte. Have you been to u2start.com? It's a fan site... around tour time they usually have a forum set up for fans either looking to swap, acquire or sell. You won't always find what you want, but you can post what you're looking for and maybe get a result. Worth a try... Plus it's a cool site.

If you're in NC, why aren't you trying Atlanta?  And btw... I'm still convinced there will be seats released. That they are blocking out until they sell out the high dollar seats. I also suspect that this is why there haven't been more 2nd shows announced. I think they (LN/TM) were expecting us to revolt against that ridiculous $329 price point  .  

gpmalecki...

How are you?

Yes,....travel becomes much harder with kids....and aging. I can't do Atlanta (wish I could/closer), because kids have school. Initially, I attempted tickets for Nashville Tn, to no avail......NOTHING. No GA, just bleeders, behind stage & high priced seats offered. Then I tried DC ....same situation. 2nd presale/show for DC is when I got 2 GA tickets(when U2 sent me a new code). DC is where my brother -in- law lives, and he will watch my kids, since we couldn't get tickets for them.  My brother-in-law and our kids went together this last JT tour. Kids will be just out of school, yet, my brother-in -aw will take a day off work to watch them.

SEE??? Not a easy thing to do on the fly......being a parent means NO MORE spontaneous times....!!!

If they add a show in FL.....my best friend lives there....and it coincides with my schedule.....I'll go to that one,too......

I'll see you there!:) I know they will release more tickets....I'm convinced too....because those high priced ones aren't being snatched up, now are they? I will check out that site, you recommended...never seen/participated on it.

It's sad, on many levels....but, I think it's beyond what many are not taking in considering.....Artists aren't getting paid for their craft anymore. ALL downloaded, youtubed, ripped/burned.....basically stolen intellectual property,

I feel bad for musicians of this day of age.....

U2 once again gave their music away for free, because.....stealing has become the norm.

how does U2 pay for their tours, not the old fashioned way? They used to pay for it all out of their own pocket, I believe up until 360 tour. I think they almost went bankrupted between  achtung/zooroopa/pop....(costing a million dollars a day).

Now, it's almost necessary to partner with corporate sponsors to finance their elaborate productions.

I know U2 hates it....being tethered to 'contracts'/labels....that is why they defied it for so long, to remain in control of their own art....without corporate strings.

Now their motto is:  why beat it....join them at their own game ?

Hi, Rich....my real name is Danette....

You know, I have never drank at a U2 concert...just one more contributing factor to the bladder break issues....

I've always been completely coherent......for U2's music is intoxicating enough....for me....:rolleyes:

it's been great corresponding with you....it's only natural to address one another by our names...:)

You know, I relate to some of Bono's lyrics in SOE.....you can hear a displacement in his voice.....a life transition.....a reflection/introspection. I would hate this to be the last ride for them....like you stated! It is very "distressing'' to think about....for U2's music has served such a vital part of my life.....it would be like losing an old friend...who's always been there.

and you are right....that the band is pushing 60.....and entering a new chapter in life. Their story has been rich in context and yet, I feel there is so much more to be written. I do believe the urgency to discover that true 'purpose' in life.....becomes  a focal point when we age or endure health issues. And....it proves.....that you can be the most famous rock stars in the world, humanitarians, travel the world, see and experience everything....and still feel a void or incomplete inside your soul.

when does that journey stop? I don't think we are supposed to feel  totally comfortable/fulfilled in life.....because that is went we truly age. The restless spirit keeps the curious child in us alive/vital. I don't think we are ever supposed to find what we are looking for?

Good to meet you, Danette,

I drank, but never got hammered at a U2 show. I too wanted to enjoy--and remember--the experience. And you're right, the natural euphoria was far better than anything a beer could produce.

It's great corresponding with you, too. I can tell that you're a longtime fan and have watched our rock heroes age and at times, face their mortality. For a while now I realize that the road ahead is shorter than the road behind. I've wondered if they would announce a farewell album/tour or would they just say something at the end of their current tour? No hints or teasers, just a thank-you for "spending our hard-earned money on them" and "giving them such a great life".

I think as an artist that you never stop viewing the world through that lens and wanting to express yourself--in case through music--because that is who you are. The fame, fortune, accolades, sheer fan love, humanitarian work and time with family & friends may not always fill a void, that artists feel.

You brought up an interesting point, I don't think the journey ever stops. There's always something more/new just down the road. The question is: what do we do about it?

And you're right; having a purpose is good. I've always found that is was easier to find the motivation and develop the discipline when I had a purpose. 

9 hours ago, 504jumper said:

Good to meet you, Danette,

I drank, but never got hammered at a U2 show. I too wanted to enjoy--and remember--the experience. And you're right, the natural euphoria was far better than anything a beer could produce.

It's great corresponding with you, too. I can tell that you're a longtime fan and have watched our rock heroes age and at times, face their mortality. For a while now I realize that the road ahead is shorter than the road behind. I've wondered if they would announce a farewell album/tour or would they just say something at the end of their current tour? No hints or teasers, just a thank-you for "spending our hard-earned money on them" and "giving them such a great life".

I think as an artist that you never stop viewing the world through that lens and wanting to express yourself--in case through music--because that is who you are. The fame, fortune, accolades, sheer fan love, humanitarian work and time with family & friends may not always fill a void, that artists feel.

You brought up an interesting point, I don't think the journey ever stops. There's always something more/new just down the road. The question is: what do we do about it?

And you're right; having a purpose is good. I've always found that is was easier to find the motivation and develop the discipline when I had a purpose. 

I love everything you have stated! so well expressed.....just beautiful.

yes...it's been so great corresponding with you as well....it gives me a energy to connect with others on a authentic level. U2 has always been a bridge for navigating the world....unraveling the pain but so much beauty that surrounds us in the world.  So many beautiful minds/thoughts to connect to.....to learn from.....

Did you ever meet someone briefly who made a impact on you? Maybe waiting in line somewhere or casually at a party.....and their words/thoughts ring inside your head like church bells. Sometimes people remind you of your strengths and failures about yourself.......

No interaction is fleeting or accidental.....I believe it all has a purpose....some not directly about you....but to teach the other person.

Thanks for your words....I hear them inside my head like a song......

On 12/14/2017 at 8:55 PM, unforgettableu2 said:

I love everything you have stated! so well expressed.....just beautiful.

yes...it's been so great corresponding with you as well....it gives me a energy to connect with others on a authentic level. U2 has always been a bridge for navigating the world....unraveling the pain but so much beauty that surrounds us in the world.  So many beautiful minds/thoughts to connect to.....to learn from.....

Did you ever meet someone briefly who made a impact on you? Maybe waiting in line somewhere or casually at a party.....and their words/thoughts ring inside your head like church bells. Sometimes people remind you of your strengths and failures about yourself.......

No interaction is fleeting or accidental.....I believe it all has a purpose....some not directly about you....but to teach the other person.

Thanks for your words....I hear them inside my head like a song......

And thank you for your very lovely words. It's so wonderful to connect with people who share my passion. I too learn so much from discovering new ideas expressed here. You are so articulate in how we as fans identify with band's music and how it has woven so intricately in our lives.

I have been lucky to have met a few people who had done some very beautiful things in life and it knocked me off my feet. It also reminded me to do the things that I really wanted to do in my life. It was a delight to have met them.

I sense that you are a compassionate person and thoughtful as well. U2's music has been about compassion for family & friends, fans, people they didn't understand, and those that were different. I guess that's one of the many reasons why we're drawn to them. They inspire not just love, but to think.

I enjoyed your post very much.

27 minutes ago, 504jumper said:

And thank you for your very lovely words. It's so wonderful to connect with people who share my passion. I too learn so much from discovering new ideas expressed here. You are so articulate in how we as fans identify with band's music and how it has woven so intricately in our lives.

I have been lucky to have met a few people who had done some very beautiful things in life and it knocked me off my feet. It also reminded me to do the things that I really wanted to do in my life. It was a delight to have met them.

I sense that you are a compassionate person and thoughtful as well. U2's music has been about compassion for family & friends, fans, people they didn't understand, and those that were different. I guess that's one of the many reasons why we're drawn to them. They inspire not just love, but to think.

I enjoyed your post very much.

Thanks for all the affirming words....and you are a very intuitive individual...I sense this. Most U2 fans are.....their music attracts the best  aspects of our flawed human condition. U2 unlocks the community and kindness that we are ALL capable of......

U2's music is God's reflection of what he wants us to be.....our potential....for ourselves and how we interact with others.

I really do share your passion....and understanding of U2. My mother still can't believe how my interest in their music has not wavered since 1983. She recently said this to me, after I discussed how difficult the presale was to get GA tickets for this current concert. She said to me....that same light is in your eyes when you speak of them or their music. , as when you were a child/teen. 

That kind of power is incredible.....and very spiritual. There is a aura or positive energy that emits from their music. u2's music is what church music SHOULD be.... a inspiring, thought provoking channel to the soul.

U2's music makes me feel......the world around me...and makes me more aware of my intent/purpose......

Their music has a gravitational pull......and at the nucleus of it......is LOVE. The most cliche' word in the world.....yet, the most universal and vital need in our exsistence.

On 12/16/2017 at 10:30 AM, unforgettableu2 said:

Thanks for all the affirming words....and you are a very intuitive individual...I sense this. Most U2 fans are.....their music attracts the best  aspects of our flawed human condition. U2 unlocks the community and kindness that we are ALL capable of......

U2's music is God's reflection of what he wants us to be.....our potential....for ourselves and how we interact with others.

I really do share your passion....and understanding of U2. My mother still can't believe how my interest in their music has not wavered since 1983. She recently said this to me, after I discussed how difficult the presale was to get GA tickets for this current concert. She said to me....that same light is in your eyes when you speak of them or their music. , as when you were a child/teen. 

That kind of power is incredible.....and very spiritual. There is a aura or positive energy that emits from their music. u2's music is what church music SHOULD be.... a inspiring, thought provoking channel to the soul.

U2's music makes me feel......the world around me...and makes me more aware of my intent/purpose......

Their music has a gravitational pull......and at the nucleus of it......is LOVE. The most cliche' word in the world.....yet, the most universal and vital need in our exsistence.

You're most welcome, Danette. You've have a great perspective and there is a such a poetry in your writing--it's very affecting.

I also agree that there is both a faith and religion in Bono's words and by extension the band's music. It's a brave thing to do in these times. But it's also reaffirming that he's not afraid to go there.

I too feel like that 17-year-old kid that marveled at the sight of the band for the first time. My mom said a similar thing to me. She said "you make the same face when talk about them, like when you were a boy." English is a second language for her, but you get the point. I think we both love them for so many reasons and one of them is because they make us feel young.

If you're interested, I wrote a blog post last year about how my obsession started. It's in three parts. And if you're inclined, I'd love to know your thoughts.

Part 1:

https://achtungninja.wordpress.com/2016/06/09/when-i-became-a-fan-pt-i/

Part 2:

https://achtungninja.wordpress.com/2016/06/23/when-i-became-a-fan-pt-ii/

Part 3:

https://achtungninja.wordpress.com/2016/07/07/when-i-became-a-fan-pt-iii/

6 hours ago, 504jumper said:

You're most welcome, Danette. You've have a great perspective and there is a such a poetry in your writing--it's very affecting.

I also agree that there is both a faith and religion in Bono's words and by extension the band's music. It's a brave thing to do in these times. But it's also reaffirming that he's not afraid to go there.

I too feel like that 17-year-old kid that marveled at the sight of the band for the first time. My mom said a similar thing to me. She said "you make the same face when talk about them, like when you were a boy." English is a second language for her, but you get the point. I think we both love them for so many reasons and one of them is because they make us feel young.

If you're interested, I wrote a blog post last year about how my obsession started. It's in three parts. And if you're inclined, I'd love to know your thoughts.

Part 1:

https://achtungninja.wordpress.com/2016/06/09/when-i-became-a-fan-pt-i/

Part 2:

https://achtungninja.wordpress.com/2016/06/23/when-i-became-a-fan-pt-ii/

Part 3:

https://achtungninja.wordpress.com/2016/07/07/when-i-became-a-fan-pt-iii/

Rich.....

You said:

quote:

''I closed my eyes and let it wash the grief and sadness out of me, even if it was only for a short time. It felt like I was being purified of all of the melancholy in my body.

I have heard people say that going to a particular concert was a “religious experience”. I think what they meant was that they encountered some kind of epiphany and that I understood. That show was a baptism, although I feel a little guilty saying that as a lapsed-Catholic. But it did feel like I was being admitted into a body that shared a common interest. That night I became fan.''

All I can say is we share similar backgrounds.....and  personal 'pain' that u2's music helped bind those open wounds......I've vocalized this same analogy.....U2's music is like a cathartic baptism or purification of one's pain.....

I share and feel all your emotional and deep attachment to U2's music, viscerally..... for your thoughts/words gave me chills of understanding and complete empathy as if they came from my own mind.....

I am sorry to hear about your father....really I am.....for I empathize with you more than you know......

My father has not died, but I haven't spoken to him in over 20 years. 

Intuitively... we related to Bono's lyrics.......his Mother dying and his distant relationship with his own father, after her death.

I was 12 when I fell "in love" with U2, by divine intervention.....and the healing powers of God orchestrating through their Music. U2 is  a 'medium' or vessel to divine love. I feel this is why babies love their music......or even animals.....it's very soothing/tranquil. .Bono's voice is hypnotic.....like a  opiate drug.....

I know U2's music will be playing loudly in HEAVEN.....so beautiful, it will make the angels weep.

Rich.....

You said:

quote:

''I closed my eyes and let it wash the grief and sadness out of me, even if it was only for a short time. It felt like I was being purified of all of the melancholy in my body.

I have heard people say that going to a particular concert was a “religious experience”. I think what they meant was that they encountered some kind of epiphany and that I understood. That show was a baptism, although I feel a little guilty saying that as a lapsed-Catholic. But it did feel like I was being admitted into a body that shared a common interest. That night I became fan.''

All I can say is we share similar backgrounds.....and  personal 'pain' that u2's music helped bind those open wounds......I've vocalized this same analogy.....U2's music is like a cathartic baptism or purification of one's pain.....

I share and feel all your emotional and deep attachment to U2's music, viscerally..... for your thoughts/words gave me chills of understanding and complete empathy as if they came from my own mind.....

I am sorry to hear about your father....really I am.....for I empathize with you more than you know......

My father has not died, but I haven't spoken to him in over 20 years. 

Intuitively... we related to Bono's lyrics.......his Mother dying and his distant relationship with his own father, after her death.

I was 12 when I fell "in love" with U2, by divine intervention.....and the healing powers of God orchestrating through their Music. U2 is  a 'medium' or vessel to divine love. I feel this is why babies love their music......or even animals.....it's very soothing/tranquil. .Bono's voice is hypnotic.....like a  opiate drug.....

I know U2's music will be playing loudly in HEAVEN.....so beautiful, it will make the angels weep.

hey Danette, thank you so much for reading my piece. I launched my blog simply because I wanted to learn a new skill and write about my favorite band. Frankly, I had no idea what I was doing. But I have a buddy who has his own blog and he gave me some good tips.

I am very glad you liked the posts. I wasn't sure I wanted to write something so close to me, but figured some visitors might relate. It still amazes me when I read/listen to fans' stories of how & when they became fans. Many of them are happy stories from high school or college. And some of them are borne out of tragedy or crisis. It's strange how music can help one cope with that.

I am also glad to learn that we are alike spirits. I picked up on that in the way that you wrote--and it's quite beautiful--about how important their music is to you. Your words resonate so strongly with me.

Thank you for your kind remarks. It's good to know I can share some of my innermost things with people and they can be so thoughtful in return. I too understand how family relationships can be very difficult. One of the important things that came out of it, was that I learned more about myself.

And one of the best things about their music is that it binds us. Their music crosses borders, religions, politics, ideologies and generations. I am sure you know that intimately as you and husband now have your children to share your musical passion. In my opinion, it is one of the best things to have (besides health, happiness, etc.). It's like the chorus says, "We're one, but we're not the same." We are one.

U2 will be playing in heaven.

Thank you again, for reading my posts.

10 hours ago, 504jumper said:

hey Danette, thank you so much for reading my piece. I launched my blog simply because I wanted to learn a new skill and write about my favorite band. Frankly, I had no idea what I was doing. But I have a buddy who has his own blog and he gave me some good tips.

I am very glad you liked the posts. I wasn't sure I wanted to write something so close to me, but figured some visitors might relate. It still amazes me when I read/listen to fans' stories of how & when they became fans. Many of them are happy stories from high school or college. And some of them are borne out of tragedy or crisis. It's strange how music can help one cope with that.

I am also glad to learn that we are alike spirits. I picked up on that in the way that you wrote--and it's quite beautiful--about how important their music is to you. Your words resonate so strongly with me.

Thank you for your kind remarks. It's good to know I can share some of my innermost things with people and they can be so thoughtful in return. I too understand how family relationships can be very difficult. One of the important things that came out of it, was that I learned more about myself.

And one of the best things about their music is that it binds us. Their music crosses borders, religions, politics, ideologies and generations. I am sure you know that intimately as you and husband now have your children to share your musical passion. In my opinion, it is one of the best things to have (besides health, happiness, etc.). It's like the chorus says, "We're one, but we're not the same." We are one.

U2 will be playing in heaven.

Thank you again, for reading my posts.

hey.....don't thank me, Rich...

I enjoyed reading your post....you didn't have to coerce me.......:) Your writing is like words animated.....alive.....and walk off the page and into my mind....

I related to EVERYTHING you stated. When I was twelve/13 years old and in a lot of pain due to my Dad divorcing my mother(and destroying the family unit), U2 was the only thing that calmed me....reset my emotional status....and satiated answers I was always seeking from myself, God and the world, itself.

I truly think U2 is the 'first' of it's kind......I knew it age 12.....as clearly as I do now, at age 46.....

They have a aura/energy that is otherworldly......supernatural. Many think/thought I was crazy when I told them about my internal feelings for the band.....and how unique their music/presence is. This feeling has never faltered.....if anything, it has strengthened after ALL these years.....which is so unusual in itself....for any band of their age.

I hate when U2 is compared to the Stones or Beatles....because they are even MORE legendary, in which there is NO comparison in my book. U2 is stand alone legends...they are like Mozart or Beethoven of their time. Maybe even more like Leonardo DaVinci......brilliant mind, artist, inventor of his time....that we still extraordinarily discuss to this current day! That is how I equate the power and significance of U2 and their music.....

Their music will cross generations of time and space....and history books will have their names inscribed.....

What other band is so color blind? crosses all demographics.....races... and ages......

One but not the same.....and all the colors bleed into one........hence their name "U2".....which defies barriers, boundaries and separation from performer/audience.....

We all feed off one another....we are all significant.....and have a divine purpose. No soul is not insignificant and without purpose......U2's music teaches us these very principals....and gives us light/hope.....when there is so much darkness/disparity  in the world.

No tickets for an avid fan. What a waste of time and energy. Whats with paying years of fan club dues only to pay Ticketmaster fees and then don't even get tickets this year, why don't you just sell them to fans like the Dead did, what all the run around. I have been a fan since 1980

U2 on Ticketmaster.pdf