Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Max Tsukino

Update: U2 Manager Guy Oseary Responds To Fans' Concerns Over E+I Tour Pre-sales

On 11/30/2017 at 10:23 AM, Davidmk55 said:

Sadly ticketmaster does their own scalping , i have called ticket brokers listed on Craigslist & they have answered "hello ticketmaster" & then corrected themselves ..........  only thing this system is helping is ticketmaster to keep more tix for mark-up .

May I ask for more detailed information about what you said?  If it is so, I don't think that is legal.  You can PM me the info if you feel uncomfortable doing it here because I'd really like to know.  I have friends who can get that info into the hands of people who might be able to do something about it.  As far as I understand, the only way anyone can resell a TM issued ticket at an inflated price is by doing so on TM...when TM is involved.  Perhaps they answered the phone saying TM to give you a false sense of well being in buying the ticket?  I'd be very leery of buying a ticket from someone on Craigslist.  If it is a fake the venue will not help you.  The only time they can solve forgeries is if the ticket was issued by TM.  I have friends in box offices and forged tickets are becoming an increasing problem.  It is sad.  I paid $11.50 to see Fleetwood Mac on the Rumors tour...Foreigner was on the bill before them touring behind Double Vision...Bob Welch was on before Foreigner and Pablo Cruise opened the show.  All of that for $11.50, but people bought albums and did not stream music for free.  It's all connected.

1 minute ago, vertigojds said:

I didn't even think about that, but you're absolutely right and I've had the same experience.  Hopefully it won't be a problem at these shows, fingers crossed.

My favorite songs on the new record tend to be the quieter ones, and I'd love to hear them live - hopefully not over people talking.

I will not tolerate people talking during a show.  I'm polite for a bit.  I get a bit less polite.  If that does not work, I literally look at them and say, "Shut up.  I did not pay to listen to you.".  If they still don't shut up...I go get an usher and ask them to get security.  It works.  I don't care if they think I'm a jerk.  I'll give my seat to someone who needs it more, but I won't listen to useless banter at a show that costs money.

On 11/23/2017 at 8:13 AM, manon amos said:

Some fans get money from helping scalpers and bots...bands and management do not need that money....

There have been some investigative reports on BBC/Channel 4 over the last few years where they showed the management of some big acts (U2 were not mentioned) gave secondary sites tickets for big shows to sell at massive prices. So they may not need the money but they sure as hell like to get as much of it as they possibly can ...

On 11/24/2017 at 12:01 PM, Mark Taylor said:

I don't think that I have seen my previous questions on this answered...

I am in UK and I want to be in the UK/Europe presales.

Because of the repeated prompts and confusing messages I linked my U2.com membership (long time 'Experience' member of the fanclub - since 1983/84) to a US Ticketmaster account and was duly sent a US presale code - which I didn't want and didn't use.

I then unlinked my US TM account from my U2.com one - it again now says 'incomplete' in red.

How do I guarantee that I get a UK/Europe presale code? Do I have to link to my UK TM account now?

Please can someone confirm what I need to do?

Thank you.

I'm in Ireland and had the same confusion. I wrote to the support team and got this .. hope it helps

Thank you for reaching out to Fan Club Support. We sincerely apologize for the delay in responding, I will be glad to assist you.

I am sincerely sorry for the inconvenience. This Presale and verification process is for U2 shows in U.S. + Canada only. You only need to complete the registration if you wish to attend a show in the U.S or Canada.  For the most up to date informaiton on tour dates please visit [www.u2.com/tour]www.u2.com/tour.  

Once again, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and hope you have a wonderful day.

Sincerely,
Jeanette M
U2.com Team

12 hours ago, Manohlive said:

May I ask for more detailed information about what you said?  If it is so, I don't think that is legal.  You can PM me the info if you feel uncomfortable doing it here because I'd really like to know.  I have friends who can get that info into the hands of people who might be able to do something about it.  As far as I understand, the only way anyone can resell a TM issued ticket at an inflated price is by doing so on TM...when TM is involved.  Perhaps they answered the phone saying TM to give you a false sense of well being in buying the ticket?  I'd be very leery of buying a ticket from someone on Craigslist.  If it is a fake the venue will not help you.  The only time they can solve forgeries is if the ticket was issued by TM.  I have friends in box offices and forged tickets are becoming an increasing problem.  It is sad.  I paid $11.50 to see Fleetwood Mac on the Rumors tour...Foreigner was on the bill before them touring behind Double Vision...Bob Welch was on before Foreigner and Pablo Cruise opened the show.  All of that for $11.50, but people bought albums and did not stream music for free.  It's all connected.

I can attest that I lost $300 on the i.e. Tour on fake tickets from Craigslist. I also bought a legitimately transferred (through TM) from Craigslist from a guy who actually could not go to the show.

On 11/30/2017 at 7:59 PM, vertigojds said:

Yeah, the Elevation 2001 ticketing was done by mail.  It was much more civilized back then.  I even remember that I was able to contact someone about questions about my ticket order, and got reasonable responses in quick periods of time.

There's major problems with how Verified Fan is being implemented on this tour.  As a basis of comparison, Ed Sheeran used it on his current tour (I attended a show in October) and they've worked out a lot of these kinks.  If the goal is to prevent scalping, U2's implementation of Verified Fan does almost nothing to prevent it; what it does do is promote scalping on Ticketmaster's site rather than Stubhub's.  One thing worth remembering: Ticketmaster only offers what they call "resale tickets" or "fan-to-fan ticketing" when the artist approves.  U2 could say "We don't want Ticketmaster's fan-to-fan platform to be used for our shows" and it wouldn't be.

For the Ed Sheeran show, here are some steps taken to prevent scalping:
-When you bought the tickets through Verified Fan, you were required to check a box during the checkout process that said you agreed to use the tickets you purchased for yourself, and that you agreed that Ticketmaster could cancel the ticket sale if the tickets were being resold above face value

-When you purchased, you also agreed to a delayed ticket delivery where tickets would not be delivered until 3 days before the show.  It's much harder to sell tickets for high resale profits when you can't list them until right before the event.

-Sheeran's people then followed through on their word and canceled orders that didn't fall within the guidelines clearly established at the time of sale.  For one recent show, it recently made headlines that Sheeran's camp canceled 10,000 tickets that had been purchased in violation of these rules.  That's 10,000 tickets which had been lost to scalpers, which were returned to the ticket pool, allowing real fans an opportunity to attend at face value.

Did this stop all scalping?  No.  But it made a big dent in it, and I had an easy time purchasing tickets to Sheeran - despite the fact that he was putting more shows onsale than U2 were, at more attractive prices that led to higher demand than U2, it was easier to get tickets for Sheeran.

Unfortunately, U2's ticketing policies are almost the opposite of Sheeran's:
-There is no requirement for Verified Fan purchasers to agree not to resell their tickets for profit

-There is no delivery delay for tickets, which were mailed out to fans within a week of the purchase

-There is no sorting through purchases to ensure that tickets being sold are going to fans who use them and not resale sites

-Ticketmaster invites buyers of tickets to resell them directly on Ticketmaster and can do this immediately after purchase

There was almost no Sheeran inventory available on third party websites immediately after his shows went onsale.  On the other hand, U2 tickets were available for resale almost immediately after they went onsale.

Ed Sheernan seems to be playing in Ireland all summer and he sold out everywhere he booked. He did amazing work on protecting his fans from ticketmaster touting tickets on seatwave by banning all sales on secondary sites. That's why there were no tickets available on their. And if you did manage to buy a ticket on a secondary site it was cancelled.

Hate to say it but Ed Sheernan is embarrasing U2 on this front. Clearly he takes more time to listen to his fans and isn't as under the thumb of ticketmaster as U2 seem to be. The man has guts ... clearly something missing in the U2 camp these days

2 hours ago, DontMindMe said:

Ed Sheernan seems to be playing in Ireland all summer and he sold out everywhere he booked. He did amazing work on protecting his fans from ticketmaster touting tickets on seatwave by banning all sales on secondary sites. That's why there were no tickets available on their. And if you did manage to buy a ticket on a secondary site it was cancelled.

Hate to say it but Ed Sheernan is embarrasing U2 on this front. Clearly he takes more time to listen to his fans and isn't as under the thumb of ticketmaster as U2 seem to be. The man has guts ... clearly something missing in the U2 camp these days

I have followed U2 all over the world for 25+ years, but I have to say that they now do seem to some extent at least to be under the thumb of a HUGE contact with Live Nation, one in all with Ticketmaster. Perhaps Ed Sheeran is not?

On 12/1/2017 at 5:56 AM, Tracy M said:

I am also still bothered by the presale limit of 4 for the Citibank section while U2.com members were limited to 2.

My hope is they return and we get two more tickets with a code.   This is crazy.  I just saw them in June and here I have tickets for a new tour the following May, with at least two shows near me.  Now we have a new cd too.  woo hoo. 

2 hours ago, nodevotion said:

Perhaps Ed Sheeran is not?

I believe Elton John still oversees managing Ed Sheeran.  Maybe he steered Mr. Sheeran of the behemoth that is TM/LN?  I love Ed Sheeran.

5 hours ago, nodevotion said:

I can attest that I lost $300 on the i.e. Tour on fake tickets from Craigslist. I also bought a legitimately transferred (through TM) from Craigslist from a guy who actually could not go to the show.

It happens a lot.  I have a very good friend who manages a box office in Milwaukee.  I hear nightmare stories.  People literally stand and cry when they realize they are not gonna see whatever show it is.  Sucks.  They can only help if it is a ticket that is, dare I say it, verified by TM.

18 hours ago, vertigojds said:

My favorite songs on the new record tend to be the quieter ones, and I'd love to hear them live - hopefully not over people talking.

Bingo.   arrrgghhhhhhh!

If U2 really is concerned about the mishaps that occurred and basically prevented true fans from getting tickets that are now being sold for outrageous prices on various websites then they should cancel those tickets. I just read an article where Eric Church did something similar because of scalpers. If it's truly about the fans and NOT ABOUT MONEY, than this is a viable solution.

On 11/22/2017 at 4:33 PM, unforgettableu2 said:

i received email,  texted all three codes, green light/box.....confirmation. I never got GA.

Exactly the same here in Nashville... no GA. To add insult, the lowest priced tickets in pre-sale that I could find were $200+. Last renewal of U2.com for me.

On 04/12/2017 at 9:12 PM, DontMindMe said:

I'm in Ireland and had the same confusion. I wrote to the support team and got this .. hope it helps

Thanks but not really. As I have previously linked to US TM will I still get UK presale chance or not is the main question? I should do as I haven’t used my two ticket allocation....

4 hours ago, Eric_Elwell said:

Exactly the same here in Nashville... no GA. To add insult, the lowest priced tickets in pre-sale that I could find were $200+. Last renewal of U2.com for me.

Sorry Eric....really I am. After the first week of presale failures, U2 emailed me a new code...and I used it for the 2nd week/show for DC. I  got GA...Finally....but, it was very, very difficult....and just when I was about to give up...2 GA tickets appeared between two listed 300+ tickets. (this was after 25 minutes of pain in the ass freezing, errors, try again later messages. Not a GA in sight.....until the miracle. I consider myself very fortunate. I couldn't get any GA with U2 citi presale or verified ticketmaster presale the 2nd time around, either. My kids won't be coming with us....and are very bummed out. they came to see the Joshua tree tour.....(GA)....and loved the experience....and are now addicted!

Eric, did U2 contact you? I would still call them, as I did....even though they didn't  help me on he phone, I did get a email a day later. 

8 hours ago, flyers88fan said:

If U2 really is concerned about the mishaps that occurred and basically prevented true fans from getting tickets that are now being sold for outrageous prices on various websites then they should cancel those tickets. I just read an article where Eric Church did something similar because of scalpers. If it's truly about the fans and NOT ABOUT MONEY, than this is a viable solution.

That sounds fair.....really it does. U2 could cancel those tickets...and it would open up an allotment of tickets  for  u2 fan members who didn't even get a chance......

22 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I believe Elton John still oversees managing Ed Sheeran.  Maybe he steered Mr. Sheeran of the behemoth that is TM/LN?  I love Ed Sheeran.

Could be Mano.....but, I thought U2 was the first to attempt this verified fan/code/fan club thing?????? Educate me if I am wrong....

U2 loves to experiment and try new technology....I really love that they are risk takers/pioneering in so many ways.

Often they fail at these "firsts" and eventually learn from these NEW/experimental approaches......they pave the way for others...through their trials/errors.

19 minutes ago, unforgettableu2 said:

Could be Mano.....but, I thought U2 was the first to attempt this verified fan/code/fan club thing?????? Educate me if I am wrong....

U2 loves to experiment and try new technology....I really love that they are risk takers/pioneering in so many ways.

Often they fail at these "firsts" and eventually learn from these NEW/experimental approaches......they pave the way for others...through their trials/errors.

Loads of acts have introduced some form of system ... Ed Sheeran, Harry Styles, Taylor Swift, 21 Pilots .. even the Hamiliton team used it for their Broadway show. Which makes all this confusion even worse. Their systems seem to be more straight forward and have less errors  (although I'm not on their forums so I could be abit off there). According to the publicists " U2 is the reportedly the first band to use the Verified Fan platform for an entire arena tour. " I'm not even sure that's true. My sister got tickets for the Harry Styles tour and she had to pre-register. Maybe he only used it for certain shows and not the whole tour??? But she simply registered, got a code and then got the tickets. She didn't have to pay a subscription to get entered into a lottery so she might get a code so she might get a ticket ... I don't think i'll be renewing

1 hour ago, DontMindMe said:

Loads of acts have introduced some form of system ... Ed Sheeran, Harry Styles, Taylor Swift, 21 Pilots .. even the Hamiliton team used it for their Broadway show. Which makes all this confusion even worse. Their systems seem to be more straight forward and have less errors  (although I'm not on their forums so I could be abit off there). According to the publicists " U2 is the reportedly the first band to use the Verified Fan platform for an entire arena tour. " I'm not even sure that's true. My sister got tickets for the Harry Styles tour and she had to pre-register. Maybe he only used it for certain shows and not the whole tour??? But she simply registered, got a code and then got the tickets. She didn't have to pay a subscription to get entered into a lottery so she might get a code so she might get a ticket ... I don't think i'll be renewing

Okay.....Mano....I think I read what you have regarding U2 being the first to use verify fan for the whole stadium.....but, really,  i'm not sure....either.

The whole entire verified fan thing is a good concept in theory.....but, a hot mess in reality. I don't understand how the scalpers got GA's before fan club members which was defeating the whole damn purpose of us registering and paying for a membership. U2 had their heart in the right place...but, made it more complex than it had to be....

I palm slap my head?????? WTF? The common sense approach would have been a PRE-pay/pre-sell offer to Club members for preferred tickets such as GA, or other highly desired seats. That way.....this eliminates a large portion of coveted tickets(GA) getting into the wrong hands.....and reduce profittering.

I love Harry Styles song Sign of times......I never thought I'd say that.....but, that song gives me chills.......my daughter got me into it.....

I introduced her to U2 and she exposes me to the "new'' stuff..... 

I sound old.....don't I?B)

2 hours ago, unforgettableu2 said:

Sadly, no. TM's "Verified Fan" system has been a disaster from the start. I'd have been shocked if the U2 sale had been anything other than a cl*******ck.

Wander (if you dare) over to Backstreets - the Springsteen forums - and look through the tirades about the on-sale (and the ticket prices) for Springsteen on Broadway. And it's going to start all over again in two weeks, when tickets for the extension go on sale - just in time for Christmas!

I have a 13 year old Potterhead and we don't know anyone who managed to get tickets for the Harry Potter Play in New York - but there are plenty of seats already available on StubHub - and the show doesn't start in previews until March.

I can't speak to Hamilton tickets - we were lucky and saw it before the Verified Fan system got started. 

Ok I was pretty negative about the presale experience but this is a new process and I know the intent is genuine.  I did ultimately get the tickets I desired through a presale code and also through a reseller. 

10 hours ago, bgans said:

Sadly, no. TM's "Verified Fan" system has been a disaster from the start. I'd have been shocked if the U2 sale had been anything other than a cl*******ck.

Wander (if you dare) over to Backstreets - the Springsteen forums - and look through the tirades about the on-sale (and the ticket prices) for Springsteen on Broadway. And it's going to start all over again in two weeks, when tickets for the extension go on sale - just in time for Christmas!

I have a 13 year old Potterhead and we don't know anyone who managed to get tickets for the Harry Potter Play in New York - but there are plenty of seats already available on StubHub - and the show doesn't start in previews until March.

I can't speak to Hamilton tickets - we were lucky and saw it before the Verified Fan system got started. 

bgans...

I had no idea about the past/current issues with ticketmaster verified fan. 

I read that U2 was the first to do verified fan on the 'arena' level.....what ever that process entails....I have no clue :huh:

This verified ticket experience has been a game of Russian Roulette......:blink:

But, really when you go back in history.....I mean even way back....obtaining U2 tickets has never been easy....at least for me.

What does perplex my mind....is how the hell the scalpers got them anyway.....

INSIDE JOB....always has been....who you know.....especially when huge corporations are involved....like CITI CARD. I'm a CITI Card member....and I still couldn't obtain tickets via both presales...

WTF?????

On 12/4/2017 at 3:17 AM, Manohlive said:

How do you know they are the richest band in the world?  If it was in some magazine that gets rich off selling lists of the richest...shred it, would be my advice.  Yes, they are rich but so are many other people who are literally destroying our environment getting rich.  This is rock and roll.  Artists who get successful get rich.  It is an easy pop shot to go after them.  This band stands for much, much more.

I'm sorry you did not get what you wanted in the presale.  I really am sorry.  However, if you paid $50 for a chance to get seats in a presale, then that is the chance you take.  Many of us, including me, have paid to be a member of this fan club since its inception. That was way before the internet.  There is a lot a great stuff on this site.  You have access to all their music and videos.  You get exclusive content.  There is a gift each year.  If you did not get what you wanted in the presale...you were also given a chance for a refund so why are you out $50?  I don't get it.  I'm not being nasty, but a lot of people have paid for years and years and did not get GAs in the presale; myself included. 

As you said, you paid $50 for a chance to, 'roll the dice'.  The fan club is not a form of gambling.  Go into the forums and check them out.  I've met and joke around with a lot of very cool people on this site.  The moderators were all over the presale.  They had a thread for people who had problems.  Any person who posted in that thread was put on a list which went higher up and I saw almost all of those people end up quite satisfied.  The mods were going nonstop. They were answering pms the second set of presales,  and on an individual basis.  They were reading the posts and  replying to many of those on an individual basis.  I know it is incredibly frustrating, but that's how it goes. 

Why take a cheap pop shot at the band?  That is what is irritating.  One could just as easily turn and say, "If it weren't for the people who join at the last minute, there would have been more tickets.".  I'm not saying that.  What I am saying is this is an incredibly complicated situation.  There are no easy answers.

When offered a refund, the consumer gets his or her money back so what is the issue; the money or no tickets?  If it is no tickets-keep checking.  Check every single day.  Check different times during the day.  Check every day from now until the day of the show and I would bet that you will find tickets.  I know, because I do it all the time.  I wish you good luck.  I hope you get great seats or GAs.

GAs were less money this time than they were last tour, as are seats behind the stage.  They are $76 this time and were $95 last time.  Sitting behind the stage is a lot better than you think it is.  There is generally only one section where you cannot see the screen.  The band utilizes the whole venue.  The IE tour is probably the best show I've ever seen and I've seen hundreds upon hundreds of rock shows over the last forty some years.  It was an incredible show.  Keep trying for seats or GAs.  If you are willing to put in the work of checking three or four times a day...I've no doubt something will pop up because they drop tickets all the time, and for every show I've checked.  Good luck.  If all you want are good seats then take the refund and you are out no money.  Either way you break even.

Richest in the world is just a way of referencing them as super rich. If they aren't exactly the richest, It doesn't matter, they might as well be. I've 3x requested a refund and never more than an automated reply.

2 hours ago, unforgettableu2 said:

INSIDE JOB....always has been....who you know.....especially when huge corporations are involved....like CITI CARD. I'm a CITI Card member....and I still couldn't obtain tickets via both presales...

WTF?????

There is a distinction between couldn't obtain tickets and couldn't obtain the tickets you wanted. There is NO guarantee that whatever tickets you want (most people here seem to want GA's) will be offered to you. I'm sure there were some tickets offered to you, just not the tickets you wanted.

On 12/4/2017 at 4:27 PM, DontMindMe said:

I mean, I think the problem is simply - up until the 360 tour, U2 ran their own touring business.  Before that tour began, they sold that business to Live Nation, which now owns Ticketmaster.  They sold the business for an obscene amount of money.  They took a giant flat fee in exchange for giving up control of the day-to-day operations and logistics and ticketing.  LiveNation promised them "X" amount of money from each tour and each date they played, and the only way LiveNation can earn the ridiculously high amount of money they promised U2 is by charging these very high prices.  And I don't think LiveNation cares about who buys the tickets, as long as they get bought.  A system where people are fighting and tripping over each other trying to buy tickets is a system where tickets sell out quick, and LiveNation can make back its investment costs quickly.  On the other hand, a system that prevented scalping and that limited sales to actual fans wouldn't necessarily be one that was filled with artificial/inflated demands, so tickets would take longer to sell, and then there's a chance LiveNation wouldn't recover their investment as quickly. 

You'll also notice for Ed Sheeran that he doesn't permit his tickets to be scalped on Ticketmaster with their "fan-to-fan resale" program that's essentially a TM clone of StubHub.  Ticketmaster has publicly said on more than one occasion that fan-to-fan resale is only permitted the the approval and authorization of the performer - if they don't allow it, it doesn't happen.  Sheeran has stated that he wants tickets to go into the hands of fans and not scalpers, and there's no fan-to-fan resale from Ticketmaster for his shows.  U2's management has said they want tickets to go into the hands of fans and not scalpers, but fan-to-fan resale on Ticketmaster is allowed.  According to Ticketmaster, fan-to-fan resale is only used when the artist approves of it... so... what conclusion is there to draw other than that the band and their management are fine with all of this?