Sign in to follow this  
zooropamofo

Bought The Blackout on vinyl...had to go online.

Ordered The Blackout on vinyl.  The closest vinyl shop to me is 1.5 hrs away.  I called that shop today and just asked a simple question: Hello! Would you be able to confirm if you are offering U2: The Blackout as part of your Black Friday Record Store Day selection?

I didn't ask them to hold a copy.

I didn't ask for multiple copies.

I didn't even ask for the price.

The answer, in a rather rude and condescending tone: We DO not discuss what the in-store offerings will be.  That's the point of Record Store Day offerings.  That's the policy, you HAVE TO come to the store, no exceptions!

I politely noted that the only reason I was asking was due to the fact that I have a long commute to the store and I just want to know if I have a shot at a copy.  No dice. 

I should note that I have worked retail non-stop for the past 22 years, so I do know a thing or two about customer service coupled with bricks and mortar retail.  Also, when I contacted the same store this past spring, they gladly advised that they had limited stock of the Red Hill Mining Town RSD Vinyl...so I went to the shop and bought a copy of RHMT along with another $110 of product.

Retail is quickly evolving, and there will soon be no line on the horizon between a physical store and web offerings.  I always try to support local stores, but with service as such...I just said "to hell with it", pulled out my credit card, and snagged The Blackout online.  Sure I paid more, but at least I am guaranteed a copy.

Rant over....thanks for reading, lol.

• Like 1

Can't believe they couldn't say if they received or not.

By the way - anyone going to Third Man stores tomorrow for the limited color vinyl and could look out for me?

I’ve talked to my local person about it before. RSD has very strict guidelines in place about who can carry the records for that day and one of their regulations is that the stores are not allowed to discuss what they will have on that day. Sounds like the person’s tone could have been better; but if they get caught talking about their inventory, they could get removed from the participation list. The whole concept was created to support local record stores and to get people in them on the day. 

My wife and I live less than a mile from the Nashville Third Man store and were in town for the long holiday weekend, so we had no excuse to miss out on the opportunity to purchase the colored vinyl edition of The Blackout.

We arrived at the store at 7:30 Friday morning and were pleasantly surprised to find only a dozen or so people in line at that point. I've been to several RSD events at Third Man over the years and have seen hundreds of people lined up around the block for exclusive releases, so we were expecting a much larger crowd for a very limited single by one of the most popular acts in the world. Not sure if this says something about the band's aging fanbase, or if there isn't as much enthusiasm about the new material?

Regardless, the smaller than expected turnout was surprising. To be fair, by the time the store opened at 10:15 there were approx. 70 people in line, and they almost certainly sold out of the colored vinyl within a few hours. 

The limited edition was $30 and they also had the regular black vinyl edition for $12. The packaging was identical for both, just a basic black sleeve. We were hoping they might have some other U2 swag but no luck. We were in and out of the store within 15 minutes. Sorry I don't anything more interesting to report, but it was a rather subdued, uneventful experience! 

Edited by brucemid1

I'm very annoyed that people buy them just to put on ebay I collect U2 vinyl and couldn't make the journey to London to maybe get a black and white one so had to settle for the not so limited one.

I camped out at rough trade west from 3.30 on the Thursday afternoon, The guys in the store were very friendly and got me some tea and soup from a café before they shut up shop. I was joined by another 4 from 10.30 onwards for a long cold overnight wait till morning. Gary had travelled by coach from Manchester to get this record, Neal, Giles & Chris were good company throughout the night . Surprised to see only 40 or so people lined up at opening time. Fell asleep on the train home, missing my station but totally worth it!

All of the record stores I contacted around me werent gonna have it. I had no choice but to get a copy on Discogs, I went on yesterday looking. I spent just as much as i would in store which was great! Should arrive in a few days.