cincy mike

Searching for rumors. Searching for hope.

Any rumors of more dates out there?

searching for hope.

only chance of seeing U2 in 2018 will depend on dates closer to home.

In the past, U2 has typically begun with a spring/early summer US leg, then gone to Europe for a summer leg, and then returned to the US for a fall/early winter leg.

This is how the JT30 tour was routed as well.  U2 followed this routing during their 1997, 2001, and 2005 tours as well.  The 2009-2011 tour was an anomaly because it began in Europe rather than the US, though it did play the US in two different swings in 2009 and then again in 2011.  The I&E tour of 2015 is the first tour in recent memory to only have one US leg and one international leg.  I believe it's likely that the tour in 2015 had intended on playing more cities and dates, but had to begin late due to Bono's injury, which limited the availability of dates. 

So without knowing any rumors - based on previous history, it seems at least somewhat likely that this tour will add additional US cities in the fall.

Edited by vertigojds

48 minutes ago, vertigojds said:

In the past, U2 has typically begun with a spring/early summer US leg, then gone to Europe for a summer leg, and then returned to the US for a fall/early winter leg...

...So without knowing any rumors - based on previous history, it seems at least somewhat likely that this tour will add additional US cities in the fall.

I had read that the e+i tour would not return to the US in the fall in lieu of touring Australia/Asia, which would enable this tour to last only thru 2018.

Like I said - I hadn't heard any rumors one way or the other.  Just stating their historical touring patterns for context.

I think ticket sales could also play a factor.  These shows are not selling out the way management anticipated - we've never seen a situation before where U2 couldn't sell 15,000 tickets in the same market where they previously sold over 100,000 a year earlier.  I think that's the pricing talking.  Management probably expected to add second dates to the majority of the announced shows, as indicated by gaps in the touring schedule, and I would guess that many of those shows now will not happen.

If that's the case, on one hand, perhaps they could use a couple of those "second date" spaces to add a city or two if they are relatively close to other venues being visited.  I don't think the intention was for the band to play only one or two shows per week, and I think management would look to fill those in if possible.  As expensive as this show must be to do... it must be even more expensive to have the gear sitting in trucks and crew guys sitting in hotel rooms not working, as revenue they planned on when booking the tour doesn't come in because shows aren't happening.

On the other hand... if demand is low that these shows aren't selling out, that could cause them to cancel any potential plans to return for more dates.  After all, if there wasn't demand for the first bunch of shows, why would there be demand for more shows?

I don't think the lack of demand is actually about less people liking U2.  I think it's about people not being willing to spend $330 for mid-row upper level seats far away from the main stage, or $175 for high row upper level seats also not near the main stage.  Lots of seats that were in the $75-100 range for the I&E tour have been reclassified as $175 and $330 seats this time around, and I think that's just too much.  If they put those seats back to the prices they were in 2015, I would be willing to bet that the demand would return.

Edited by vertigojds

23 hours ago, vertigojds said:

Like I said - I hadn't heard any rumors one way or the other.  Just stating their historical touring patterns for context.

I think ticket sales could also play a factor.  These shows are not selling out the way management anticipated - we've never seen a situation before where U2 couldn't sell 15,000 tickets in the same market where they previously sold over 100,000 a year earlier.  I think that's the pricing talking.  Management probably expected to add second dates to the majority of the announced shows, as indicated by gaps in the touring schedule, and I would guess that many of those shows now will not happen.

If that's the case, on one hand, perhaps they could use a couple of those "second date" spaces to add a city or two if they are relatively close to other venues being visited.  I don't think the intention was for the band to play only one or two shows per week, and I think management would look to fill those in if possible.  As expensive as this show must be to do... it must be even more expensive to have the gear sitting in trucks and crew guys sitting in hotel rooms not working, as revenue they planned on when booking the tour doesn't come in because shows aren't happening.

On the other hand... if demand is low that these shows aren't selling out, that could cause them to cancel any potential plans to return for more dates.  After all, if there wasn't demand for the first bunch of shows, why would there be demand for more shows?

I don't think the lack of demand is actually about less people liking U2.  I think it's about people not being willing to spend $330 for mid-row upper level seats far away from the main stage, or $175 for high row upper level seats also not near the main stage.  Lots of seats that were in the $75-100 range for the I&E tour have been reclassified as $175 and $330 seats this time around, and I think that's just too much.  If they put those seats back to the prices they were in 2015, I would be willing to bet that the demand would return.

Yes i agree with the pricing, the cost of the tickets for some seats is way to high and they made the mistake of pushing theses to fan club members in the pre-sales. I'd imagine even the touts would be put off at that mark up as they wouldn't be able to make a profit. 

On the dates, they don't seem to have time to add many more second dates as they need 2 days to move all the equipment and set up. I heard rumours after Europe they will be heading to OZ and New Zealand so that may rule out a return to the U.S in the fall. But could roll into 2019 for legs 4&5 for Europe and the U.S... that seems so far away!. Can't really deny the aussies a few shows its been about 8 years!

The fact that tickets are still available in a market the size of greater Atlanta in a 13,000 seat arena is telling.

Based on the 60 Minutes-Australia interview, U2 does look to be headed to Oz fall of 2018.

i wonder if the band is a bit road weary after JT30 tour, hence the shorter e+i tour.

Edited by cincy mike

On 11/26/2017 at 7:21 PM, cincy mike said:

The fact that tickets are still available in a market the size of greater Atlanta in a 13,000 seat arena is telling.

Based on the 60 Minutes-Australia interview, U2 does look to be headed to Oz fall of 2018.

i wonder if the band is a bit road weary after JT30 tour, hence the shorter e+i tour.

TJT was a deserved victory lap and everyone wanted to see it.  This tour is new music.  Initial demand will inevitably be less.  They just finished touring.