Edited by toyoracer
grammar :/

The blackout 

American Soul 

Red flag day

EBTTRT 

The Fly 

Discotheque

Last Night On Earth / IGWSHA (alternate) 

GOOYOW 

Lights of home

Summer of Love

Love is blindness

All I want is you 

Desire 

Your the best thing about me

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

A Sort Of Homecoming / Unforgettable fire (alternate). 

Gone 

The little things that give you away

Encore...

Walk On / Kite (alternate).

Love Is Bigger Than Anything In it's Way 

Gloria / Out Of Control (alternate).

Edited by utwothefly

Reckon you can strike out The Fly for a while, until this lawsuit silliness is out the way.

As for Walk On, I reckon it's knocked Acrobat off the Never Going To Be Played perch.

This one is fascinating. SOE is going to open up new possibilities for the old songs. Working on a set now.

I was very happy to hear A Sort of Homecoming and Bad on JT. Elevation and Beautiful Day as well.

I would like to hear more from Achtung Baby (The Fly, Until the End of the World) and Rattle and Hum (Desire, Angel of Harlem).

and I know it will never happen, but I would LOVE to hear some songs from October. I love that album and have since it first came out. Gloria, Rejoice, Tomorrow....

A guy can dream, can’t he??

On 11/29/2017 at 1:51 PM, toyoracer said:

If I hear "Kite" in addition to the new songs, I'm grateful enough

yes

• Like 1

I wouldn't go so far as to predict a set list but I do hope that certain songs are given a rest this tour (I'm looking at you Pride, Vertigo, Elevation & Beautiful Day).

It would be great to hear lesser played hits like Who's Going To Ride Your Wild Horses, Stuck In A Moment, Staring At The Sun & 40.

• Like 1

Tricky one this time round. I think SoE allows them to diversify a little bit. 

But once they play several off SoE and several from SoI given that the tour covers both albums and once you throw in the usual suspects they are unlikely to drop, it doesn't leave much room in the setlist for many obscurities. 

Definitely think they will do one track from Pop or an extended snippet akin to how they did Zooropa last time. 

I think tracks from Boy/October/War & UF will likely all be dropped this time round from regular rotation. IWF and Bad might get in once or twice. I really wouldn't miss SBS.

SoE in terms of sound will probably mean more songs from ATYCLB and HTDAAB come back in I suspect.

I really hope they play Every Breaking Wave with the full band.  As much as I liked the stripped down piano version, this is one of my favorites off SOI and I'd love to hear it loud...with DRUMS AND BASS and that guitar going chug chug chug.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thematically, they should put Rejoice in the set list as it's the early edition of Bono's "joy as an act of defiance."  I was thinking about that song today after the initial scare of the pipe bomb that went off in Times Square.  I hadn't heard about the explosion because I had the holiday music station no instead of the news.  A coworker called me to let me know about it, and he just sounded so shaken up.  Arrived at work to see the surveillance video online of a person in a crowd, just sort of going "poof".  Crazy.  No one was killed, but there were injuries.  The bomb went off early.   That guy woke up this morning and tied a pipe bomb to his chest.  But what am I supposed to do?

On 12/11/2017 at 12:06 PM, DeirdreBell said:

I really hope they play Every Breaking Wave with the full band.  As much as I liked the stripped down piano version, this is one of my favorites off SOI and I'd love to hear it loud...with DRUMS AND BASS and that guitar going chug chug chug.  

I could see "Summer of Love," taking that spot. Just Bono with Edge on acoustic guitar.

A full band "Every Breaking Wave," would be a treat though if they could find room for it.

On 12/4/2017 at 4:18 AM, CorkVegan said:

It would be great to hear lesser played hits like Who's Going To Ride Your Wild Horses, Stuck In A Moment, Staring At The Sun & 40.

PLEASE, NO...not Stuck in a Moment!!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/4/2017 at 3:18 AM, CorkVegan said:

Vertigo, Elevation & Beautiful Day

Yes, please give these a rest. I also really dislike "Sweetest Thing" - sorry, Ali. :P I think Ali is totally cool, though!

Personally, I've never been lucky enough to hear "40" or "All I Want Is You" (I've seen 16 live shows since 1997). I'd really love to hear one or both of those.

New Year's Day was one of the major highlights of The Joshua Tree tour for me this summer, so I'd love to hear it again. Was gutted not to hear A Sort of Homecoming so would very much like them to play that one. Agree that the setlist could do without Beautiful Day, Elevation and Vertigo this time round. I reckon Lights of Home would work well in the same area of the setlist that Iris/Cedarwood Road occupied on I&E. Plus, they HAVE to play The Little Things. It'll be so much better this time than on The Joshua Tree tour because everyone will actually know the song!

I was actually thinking they would open with American Soul, I think that would be a great opener and would set the tone for other songs off Achtung Baby.

American Soul

You're The Best Thing About Me

Even Better Than The Real Thing (Fish Out Of Water mix)

Mysterious Ways

Get Out Of Your Own Way

Summer Of Love

Miracle Of Joey Ramone

California

Another Time Another Place

Bullet The Blue Sky

Lights of Home

Desire (ZooTV version)

A Sort Of Homecoming

One

Where The Streets Have No Name

--------

The Blackout

With Or Without You

Mofo

Love Is All We Have Left

The Little Things That Give You Away

• Full arena lights on, Living on a Thin Line (The Kinks) as intro music, waiting for the band to come on, at end of song kill the lights)
  • love is all we have left (lights go out, arena is completely dark, band is on stage but we can't see them, Bono is singing)
  • you're the best thing about me
  • the blackout
  • until the end of the world
  • gloria
  • red flag day
  • new year's day
  • lights of home
  • city of blinding lights
  • get out of your own way
  • american soul
  • the fly (lady with the spinning head snippet) then back into the fly
  • acrobat
  • desire (full band)
  • down to the b-stage (arena is black, freedom for my people is playing)
  • summer of love (b stage)
  • the little things that give you away (b stage)
  • bad (starts on b stage, band moves back to main stage)
  • where the streets have no name
  • with or without you
  • band leaves for short break
  • please/sunday bloody sunday (transition at part where sbs drum fills enter please single)
  • i will follow
  • vertigo
  • one (hear us coming lord)
  • lights come up, wake up dead man plays in background

On 11/29/2017 at 3:51 PM, toyoracer said:

If I hear "Kite" in addition to the new songs, I'm grateful enough

Powerful Song indeed.....

• Like 1

I think Love is All We Have Left would be a great opener. Spotlight on Bono - main stage. Segue into Lights of Home - Edge on B-stage for the opening riff.

The rest is tricky! Sure hope songs off SOI are still part of the set.

• Like 2

Having seen multiple U2 concerts every tour for 30+ years, and putting a little thought into it, here's my dream setlist (in  order!) for the upcoming Tour.

Setlist: The Blackout / American Soul / Until the End of the World / Unknown Caller / Gone / Desire / Ordinary Love / Vertigo / Please / Electric Co / Angel of Harlem / Beautiful Day / Gloria / Bad / You’re the Best Thing About Me / Elevation / Breathe / Walk On.

Encores: Get Out of Your Own Way / Where the Streets Have No Name / Kite / The Fly / Lights of Home / Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

Thought process: Six songs from the new album. Dust off two great songs each from NLOTH, Pop, and Rattle & Hum. Add in Gloria, Walk On, Kite, The Fly and Until the End of the World. I'd argue Until the End of The World competes with Streets for best live u2 song. When that song was the third song in the setlist in the All That You Can't Leave Behind Tour, the audience was in a frenzy the rest of the night every time. Only two Joshua Tree songs but the band is just coming off the tour playing the whole album.  if the band wants to mix it up, they could substitute in Staring at the Sun for Please occasionally, or Mysterious Ways for The Fly, I Will Follow for Electric Co, One for Still Haven't Found, for example.  Ready to rock in 2018!

18 hours ago, sykoo_us said:

Having seen multiple U2 concerts every tour for 30+ years, and putting a little thought into it, here's my dream setlist (in  order!) for the upcoming Tour.

Setlist: The Blackout / American Soul / Until the End of the World / Unknown Caller / Gone / Desire / Ordinary Love / Vertigo / Please / Electric Co / Angel of Harlem / Beautiful Day / Gloria / Bad / You’re the Best Thing About Me / Elevation / Breathe / Walk On.

Encores: Get Out of Your Own Way / Where the Streets Have No Name / Kite / The Fly / Lights of Home / Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

Thought process: Six songs from the new album. Dust off two great songs each from NLOTH, Pop, and Rattle & Hum. Add in Gloria, Walk On, Kite, The Fly and Until the End of the World. I'd argue Until the End of The World competes with Streets for best live u2 song. When that song was the third song in the setlist in the All That You Can't Leave Behind Tour, the audience was in a frenzy the rest of the night every time. Only two Joshua Tree songs but the band is just coming off the tour playing the whole album.  if the band wants to mix it up, they could substitute in Staring at the Sun for Please occasionally, or Mysterious Ways for The Fly, I Will Follow for Electric Co, One for Still Haven't Found, for example.  Ready to rock in 2018!

That would be a bold setlist! No WOWY (one can hope) or Pride is hard to imagine. Two off NLOTH and Pop!?!? Don't see that happening.

I would LOVE to hear Electric Co and Gloria on the same night.

I think the JT30 tour def makes the setlist predictions a little more fun. I could get by with them dropping ISHFWILF as well. Given the ticket-price on this tour I don't think there will be a lot of people who are there just to check out U2. Probably a fair assumption that most of the people going to E&I will have been at one of the JT30 shows.