redsoxsrule

U2 songs of experience your possible setlist

Thanks for the commentary EnriqueDiaz!   if they drop ISHFWILF and add in Pride, are u good to go??   Or A Sort of Homecoming?  I played around listening to the setlist so each song flowed nicely and consistent with prior tour structures, but sounding fresh by mixing in some good songs from Pop, Rattle & Hum and NLOTH. We just did an all-greatest hits tour with the Joshua Tree 30th Tour, now time to dust off a lot of fan favs for this one!   One thing is for sure, the best opening pair of songs would be The Blackout into American Soul - must happen.

On 12/19/2017 at 11:17 AM, sykoo_us said:

Thanks for the commentary EnriqueDiaz!   if they drop ISHFWILF and add in Pride, are u good to go??  

One thing is for sure, the best opening pair of songs would be The Blackout into American Soul - must happen.

That swap would work for me!!

I don't know about those two opening - too much fuzzy guitar ;) Seriously, though, I think American Soul will be more of a centre-piece song on this tour (even though I find the lyric lazy and tiresome.)

I was fortunate enough to catch A Sort of Homecoming twice on the last tour. It might work better in a smaller space where - possibly - most of the fans are pretty hardcore (I'm just going on the serious money these tickets are costing us.) Such a great song.

And I hope SoI is represented by a song other than The Miracle. Iris is still a moving song for me, and Raised by Wolves is a good rocker. And I love the stripped down EBW - I think it is a great song for highlighted Bono's vocals.

Well the All That You Can't Leave Behind Tour started with Elevation --> Beautiful Day.  That was a great pair - and Beautiful Day is obviously a centre-piece kind of song. I think The Blackout --> American Soul in terms of lyrics, energy, etc would really get the audience rocking from the get-go. We shall see!

So, summarizing comments so far, this tour will be for more hardcore fans (arena vs stadium, new album vs Joshua Tree), and some of the songs people want brought back are Gloria, A Sort of Homecoming, Kite. Beyond that there's minor differences of opinion!  Here's my version 2.0 incorporating comments (then i'll stop!):

Setlist: The Blackout / American Soul / Until The End of the World / Unknown Caller / Gone / Desire / Ordinary Love / Elevation / Vertigo / You're the Best Thing About Me / Gloria / Angel of Harlem / Beautiful Day / Last night on Earth / The Electric Co / Bad / Breathe / Walk On

Encores: Get Out of Your Own Way / Where the Streets Have No Name / Kite / The Fly / Lights of Home / A Sort of Homecoming

Controversial Omissions: all of Joshua Tree except Streets, One, I Will Follow, Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day. However, this setlist sounded fresh and exciting to me  - between the new album and bringing back some fan favs.

lot of great thoughts on this thread... i DO think and hope they play a sort of homecoming every night- the way they resurrected bad every night jusring JT.

i'm wondering- 'love is all we have left'- will that be the 1st song, as the first song on the album-to not be played at a U2 concert? i just don't see it fitting in...

they'll play a bunch off soe-- certainly 'little thing that give u away', 'blackout', 'best thing about me', american soul (my vote for opener), and i see 'lights of home', 'get out of your own way', and 'love is bigger than anything...' (my vote for closing number). I'd bet they play a couple more too, anyone's guess from soe.... I doubt they revisit anything from soi. I think they'll leave joshua tree alone- im fine with that- but of course they'll play streets. Someone mentioned discotheque and i think that's a great call. Someone else mentioned 'whos gonna ride your wild horses' another great call. I'd personally love to hear 'trying to throw your arms around the world'...

I'd be fine if they did not play sunday bloody sunday, pride, with or without you, vertigo... so many gems i'd rather hear.

I'm also hoping the band brings folks to play onstage with them. I'm afraid this time it may be a piano player, but i play guitar. I was at NYC soi tour 2 rows back from b stage when bono walked towards my area looking for a guitar player. He turned around and then brought jimmy fallon onstage. Jimmy was more entertaining than i would have been. But i'm still hoping.

Best thing: my daughter fell in love with her first U2 song. I'm hoping to bring her to her first U2 concert.

- The Blackout
- You're the Best Thing About Me
- Elevation or Vertigo
- A Sort of Homecoming
- City of Blinding Lights OR Beautiful Day
- Kite
- Every Breaking Wave
- All I Want Is You (Walk to the Water snippet)
- Get Out of Your Own Way
*Intermission/Kendrick Lamar interlude to e-stage portion)
- American Soul
- Lady with the Spinning Head
- Zoo Station
- Mysterious Ways
- Dirty Day OR Numb
- Gone
- Last Night on Earth
- Moment of Surrender OR Unknown Caller
- Bad
- The Little Things That Give You Away
- Song for Someone/13 blend (cut on shorter nights)

Encore

- Where the Streets Have No Name
- Electric Co. OR Out of Control OR I Will Follow
- Gloria OR I Fall Down OR I Threw a Brick
- Surrender (alternates with 40)
- Love Is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way
- 40 (alternates with Surrender)

I know some (maybe most, lol) of these are pipe dreams, but here is some of my rationale:

- Every album is represented.
- Hits are kept, but some songs that have been in the setlists for ages (SBS, NYD, Pride, One, and just about the entirety of the Joshua Tree) get a much-needed break for a while.
- Plenty of juicy rarities for the fans, all of which is solid enough that even those not familiar with them should find them pretty exciting live (LWTSH, LNOE, the October selection)
- One of the aforementioned cut hits could be slotted in as a replacement if a rarity flops (NYD takes over for Surrender, alternate Gone and LNOE if two Pop selections prove to be too much and either reduce the setlist by a song or slot in another heavy hitter)
- There's thematic flow, either in the style of song (slow, heavy songs to end the main set, the band's first three albums delivering an energetic encore, energy ebbs and flows to keep the show interesting the whole way through)

My biggest concern is that too many crowd favorites are absent, but I'd like to think that the TJT30 tour covered so many of them that this could be the tour to get a little adventurous. However, as I mentioned, if stuff flops, there are plenty of substitution opportunities, like the following:

- One takes over for Kite
- Gone and LNOE rotate nights, WOWY slots in between The Little Things and Song for Someone or closes the set if the next idea is implemented
- EBW and Song for Someone rotate (retaining their respective current positions), the setlist can be reduced by a song or NYD can be added after YTBTAM

Hollywoodswag- love the big overlap between our setlists!  We both think it would be great to bring back A Sort of Homecoming, Kite, Gloria, Electric Co, two songs from Pop (Gone and Last Night on Earth) and Unknown Caller. Not sure they'll do SOI songs on this tour though, especially if they cut out some of the 'hits'. I like personally including Desire and Angel of Harlem from Rattle and Hum, Breathe from NLOTH... and Until The End of the World and The Fly from Achtung, Zoo Station and Mysterious ways are OK... But isn't a 30th anniversary Achtung Stadium Tour just a few years off after this tour (2021)?  I also agree that the band can rest a few of the well worn hits following the stadium TJT30 Tour. This is an arena tour supporting a new album the very next year - do a setlist for the hard core fans...

Happy U2018 everyone!!

Sykoo, if they cut the SOI songs, I won't be particularly upset. I included them as an expectation, but definitely not as a wish-list item. Even if they got replaced with one of the standards that I had suggested cutting or if it meant that some songs I suggested as part of rotations both got played, that would be fine with me.

As far as an AB tour, I think that's a wish so many of us have after the TJT experience, but it would be 100% nostalgia and probably destroy their argument that the TJT tour was inspired by events going on in the world. I do buy the argument that recent world events gave that album a renewed sense of purpose, but I still think it was a bit of a nostalgia deal. ;)

And to your point about the overlap between our lists, I'm just glad that someone else who wants Pop songs to make a return shares my desire for Gone and LNOE and not Please. :lol:

Edited by hollywoodswag

On 12/31/2017 at 6:59 PM, hollywoodswag said:

- The Blackout
- Elevation or Vertigo
- A Sort of Homecoming
- Kite
- Every Breaking Wave
- American Soul
- Zoo Station
- Mysterious Ways
- Dirty Day OR Numb
- Gone
- Last Night on Earth
- Bad

Encore

I know some (maybe most, lol) of these are pipe dreams, but here is some of my rationale:

- Hits are kept, but some songs that have been in the setlists for ages (SBS, NYD, Pride, One, and just about the entirety of the Joshua Tree) get a much-needed break for a while.
- Plenty of juicy rarities for the fans, all of which is solid enough that even those not familiar with them should find them pretty exciting live (LWTSH, LNOE, the October selection)
- One of the aforementioned cut hits could be slotted in as a replacement if a rarity flops (NYD takes over for Surrender, alternate Gone and LNOE if two Pop selections prove to be too much and either reduce the setlist by a song or slot in another heavy hitter)
- There's thematic flow, either in the style of song (slow, heavy songs to end the main set, the band's first three albums delivering an energetic encore, energy ebbs and flows to keep the show interesting the whole way through)

My biggest concern is that too many crowd favorites are absent, but I'd like to think that the TJT30 tour covered so many of them that this could be the tour to get a little adventurous. However, as I mentioned, if stuff flops, there are plenty of substitution opportunities, like the following:

- Gone and LNOE rotate nights, WOWY slots in between The Little Things and Song for Someone or closes the set if the next idea is implemented
- EBW and Song for Someone rotate (retaining their respective current positions), the setlist can be reduced by a song or NYD can be added after YTBTAM

Good set!

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 2:59 AM, hollywoodswag said:

- The Blackout
- Elevation or Vertigo
- A Sort of Homecoming
- Kite
- Every Breaking Wave
- American Soul
- Zoo Station
- Mysterious Ways
- Dirty Day OR Numb
- Gone
- Last Night on Earth
- Bad

Encore

Lady with the Spinning Head! Nice.... :wub:

I'd love to hear Kite and City of Blinding Lights. I agree I could live without Sunday, NYD, Pride, and One.

I'd not only keep Every Breaking Wave, I'd add Cedarwood Road too.

If they play something from October, especially I Threw a Brick Through a Window, my life will be complete.

:lol: