chaz

GA Line Organization - Fans, Venue or U2?

I've had nothing but fantastic experiences going to GA U2 shows in San Jose.  Not so much at other venues as the venue does not organize the GA line so it's up to fans, which has pros and cons.  The SAP center (FKA Compaq) center provides wristbands to each GA ticket holder in the morning, and then you can come and go at your leisure until around 5pm.  They then check wristbands again.

If you like this system, email the contact at each venue and provide them with the attached line up.  It's from 2015, and they've used the same system since 2001 with the Elevation tour.  

Who would you prefer to organize the GA line, the fans, the venue or U2?

Handout-GA-Line-Management-U2-Updated.pdf

I have heard that San Jose does a solid job for those with GA, friends had great experiences for U2 as well as Springsteen, I wish other venues would follow this model . 

It makes no difference who we want to do it. The fans always start it then demand the informal GA line theyve declaired as official be honored by the venue. Venues who have said no always cave in and allow the fan run GA. Unless U2 want to take over, and do so in a well coordinated way, its how its always been. Fans always run the GA.

Well I assume hard core fans start a line somewhere before hitting the venue. I don't know who was in charge but I loved the way the forum was run!! Sooooo not stressful! 

I'd much prefer it if every GA line was a coordinated effort between U2 and the venue. The problem with letting the fans run it is that it's always the same fans running, and giving their close friends the best places in the line. They turn up the night before, meet at a certain point, get marked and then go back to their hotel room or wherever it is they're staying, and don't actually stay at the venue. Not every U2 fan going to a show hears about the GA line either, so someone turns up outside the venue to line up at the time from which the venue has said it's okay to do so, thinking they'd be one of the first people to get into the arena. But then 50+ other people turn up afterwards saying they're in front, and, in some cases, from what I've heard, getting aggressive with fans who didn't hear about the GA line and who don't want to play by the unofficial rules. The end result is that it's the same people on the front rows every night - IIRC, something the band themselves got fed up of during the Elevation tour in Boston and tried giving different people access to the heart stage, which resulted in a sit-down protest - which to me suggests there's a sense of entitlement that goes with this. 

So yeah, if U2 could take charge of the GA lines and coordinate with each venue, that'd be great. Probably won't happen though.

• Upvote 1

I'd love for U2 to take over the line management and have something like a Bruce Springsteen like lottery.  It would be nice to have a chance for a rail spot without waiting in line all day.