On 6/9/2018 at 1:56 PM, varunjay said:

I remember reading their manager's interview recently where he even admitted to being open to the idea of a 30 Year Anniversary tour (their Best Album ever) celebrating 'Achtung baby' which i think will be possible in 2021.

Varunjay, could you please be so kind to provide a link to that interview? That suggestion by the manager would be my biggest wish! A celebration tour of Achtung Baby! Man oh man, that would be the ultimate thrill. I so dearly enjoyed the recent Joshua Tree tour, that I really would be thrilled to see the return of Achtung Baby. Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are my personal U2 favorites. 

I have already mentioned this in the ZOO TV thread on this forum, that these violent political days are perfect for a full blown big stadium ZOO TV tour. U2 was so good at that tour. Just gives me shivers of joy thinking back to those days...

On 6/9/2018 at 7:56 AM, varunjay said:

I remember reading their manager's interview recently where he even admitted to being open to the idea of a 30 Year Anniversary tour (their Best Album ever) celebrating 'Achtung baby' which i think will be possible in 2021.

Of course the manager is open to it. More commission in his pocket. $$$.

Are the band open to it though? 

Just now, CorkVegan said:

Of course the manager is open to it. More commission in his pocket. $$$.

Are the band open to it though? 

I'm of two minds about this idea too.

When I first heard it suggested, I thought, "Well, perhaps, but probably not - they've already done a walk-down-memory-lane tour with JT."

Then, I thought about it more, and it seemed a little less outlandish. IF there is a long break coming up, and IF they wanted to ease back into touring again coming off of the break, this would be an ideal way to do it. You wouldn't need a new album, you would be playing AB in its entirety in order which was never done in the past (like JT), you could still play lots of other songs in addition, there would be demand for such a project among general concert fans, not just U2 devotees like ourselves - it would be a useful way to get back into action again. Do a new album after it's over (or have one pretty much done in advance, like SOE was essentially finished before the JT anniversary).

But, ultimately, who the hell knows? I'm sure the band has no idea right now either.

On 7/9/2018 at 5:27 PM, dmway said:

).

I concur..

It would be a thrill to have them do Achtung like they did Joshua !!!! Sign me up  ;)

Posted (edited)
On 7/18/2018 at 12:46 AM, u2rone said:

It would be a thrill to have them do Achtung like they did Joshua !!!! Sign me up  ;)

On 7/10/2018 at 3:57 AM, dmway said:

I'm of two minds about this idea too.

When I first heard it suggested, I thought, "Well, perhaps, but probably not - they've already done a walk-down-memory-lane tour with JT."

Then, I thought about it more, and it seemed a little less outlandish. IF there is a long break coming up, and IF they wanted to ease back into touring again coming off of the break, this would be an ideal way to do it. You wouldn't need a new album, you would be playing AB in its entirety in order which was never done in the past (like JT), you could still play lots of other songs in addition, there would be demand for such a project among general concert fans, not just U2 devotees like ourselves - it would be a useful way to get back into action again. Do a new album after it's over (or have one pretty much done in advance, like SOE was essentially finished before the JT anniversary).

But, ultimately, who the hell knows? I'm sure the band has no idea right now either.

With Adam confirming in a recent interview that they will not be touring next year, and (rumor) unconfirmed news of them signing another 10 year contract with Live Nation. I also feel the same that they will do a Achtung Baby 30 Anniversary tour considering how successful the TJT tour was.  Also, as AB was their Best album till date, the AB anniversary tour should be even more popular amongst the fans leading to more $$$.

I think we are now in the Final Decade of their Career and the band will make sure to make it count until the end with such tours and i'm sure with at least 1-2 more albums down the line.

Edited by varunjay

I also heard the rumor (I don't know where this person got his info, but it's usually from reliable sources) of signing a new contract with Live Nation that goes through 2028. An Achtung Baby anniversary tour and at least 1, but maybe even 2 or 3 new albums would be possible in that time. It's very exciting but I won't believe it until a more credible source comes out with it! But I pray that it's true because then I'll get to see lots more U2 ?

• Like 1

I must say having originally been in favour of the idea trilogy of albums I am now leaning towards preferring something new.  Take a year or so off when the current tour ends, come back with some new fresh ideas if possible and put on a stripped back show.

1 hour ago, dermo said:

I must say having originally been in favour of the idea trilogy of albums I am now leaning towards preferring something new.  Take a year or so off when the current tour ends, come back with some new fresh ideas if possible and put on a stripped back show.

You're going to get your wish to a degree because there is no "trilogy" and never was one designed for this part of their career. SOI and SOE are a pair and a pair only - they were always designed to be a pair. If you have seen the shows and read the tour programs for each tour (and read all of the interviews since 2014 onward), there is no part 3 to this cycle. William Blake didn't write "Songs of Innocence and Experience and Ascent"; he wrote "Songs of Innocence and Experience", and U2 used that specific work as a model for these last two albums and subsequent tours.

(Sorry for the rant - it's not specifically directed at you. I just don't know why people think there has to be some kind of "completion of the trilogy" here. It was never designed to be one. While U2 have a Christian foundation, that doesn't mean they have to, or even want to, do everything in threes. Some people here really need to get over this. U2 may someday release an album called "Song of Ascent", but it won't be a part three of this latest era of their music.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmway said:

You're going to get your wish to a degree because there is no "trilogy" and never was one designed for this part of their career. SOI and SOE are a pair and a pair only - they were always designed to be a pair. If you have seen the shows and read the tour programs for each tour (and read all of the interviews since 2014 onward), there is no part 3 to this cycle. William Blake didn't write "Songs of Innocence and Experience and Ascent"; he wrote "Songs of Innocence and Experience", and U2 used that specific work as a model for these last two albums and subsequent tours.

(Sorry for the rant - it's not specifically directed at you. I just don't know why people think there has to be some kind of "completion of the trilogy" here. It was never designed to be one. While U2 have a Christian foundation, that doesn't mean they have to, or even want to, do everything in threes. Some people here really need to get over this. U2 may someday release an album called "Song of Ascent", but it won't be a part three of this latest era of their music.)

Excuse me and 'some people' for being so stupid.  Actually no don't excuse me because it's not being stupid.  This is a forum in which we interact about a band that I don't think it's too far fetched to say we all like.  A big part of that interaction often involves speculation.  I would class this topic as speculative and I expressed my opinion on it but I won't be losing sleep over it tonight because I have much more important things in my life to lose sleep over if I want to.   You too of course are entitled to express your opinion,  but I feel its was unnecessary for you to turn it into a 'rant'.   Rant over !

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dermo said:

Excuse me and 'some people' for being so stupid.  Actually no don't excuse me because it's not being stupid.  This is a forum in which we interact about a band that I don't think it's too far fetched to say we all like.  A big part of that interaction often involves speculation.  I would class this topic as speculative and I expressed my opinion on it but I won't be losing sleep over it tonight because I have much more important things in my life to lose sleep over if I want to.   You too of course are entitled to express your opinion,  but I feel its was unnecessary for you to turn it into a 'rant'.   Rant over !

Well, as I said, the rant wasn’t directed at you - and I sincerely meant that - however, since you have most certainly made your reply personal, I shall express my opinion again.

I don’t think that anyone is stupid here - I have never said or implied such a thing. However, the Internet being the Internet, things claimed on message boards can take on a life of their own. This “trilogy” idea is a prime example. The band have never subliminally or explicitly stated an intent for a set of three projects in this decade. In spite of that, people keep thinking that there is one. It was that concept, not you, that I directed my comments towards. Hoping for something that isn’t coming causes distress in people; I was intending to disabuse people of a false notion - that’s it.

I’ll admit I spoke directly, but any perceived venom was pointed at the concept, not at any prospective holders of it. As I have already said a couple of times, my post was not an attack on anyone; I’m sorry you chose to take it that way. Your reply, in contrast, was quite ad hominem, but I’ll let it pass. Harmony is nice too.

So, all apologies to those who wanted a trilogy. IMHO, there isn’t one coming. The next album, if I had to guess, will be a “best of” (they haven’t had one since “18 Singles”). After that, with or without an AB anniversary tour, there would certainly be a new project which would be starting with a clean slate. I think we would all look forward to that. Namaste. ? 

Edited by dmway

I would also say that there won’t be a trilogy exactly... If it’s called “Songs of Ascent” then it might be in name but I think the theme and tour would be totally separate from SOE and SOI. I’d love to hear something that’s like a reinvention if their ‘90s albums, maybe they could take some inspiration from an anniversary tour. But I think even if they do look back for inspiration that a new album would still be different. Either way I’m looking forward to it! 

8 hours ago, dmway said:

Well, as I said, the rant wasn’t directed at you - and I sincerely meant that - however, since you have most certainly made your reply personal, I shall express my opinion again.

I don’t think that anyone is stupid here - I have never said or implied such a thing. However, the Internet being the Internet, things claimed on message boards can take on a life of their own. This “trilogy” idea is a prime example. The band have never subliminally or explicitly stated an intent for a set of three projects in this decade. In spite of that, people keep thinking that there is one. It was that concept, not you, that I directed my comments towards. Hoping for something that isn’t coming causes distress in people; I was intending to disabuse people of a false notion - that’s it.

I’ll admit I spoke directly, but any perceived venom was pointed at the concept, not at any prospective holders of it. As I have already said a couple of times, my post was not an attack on anyone; I’m sorry you chose to take it that way. Your reply, in contrast, was quite ad hominem, but I’ll let it pass. Harmony is nice too.

So, all apologies to those who wanted a trilogy. IMHO, there isn’t one coming. The next album, if I had to guess, will be a “best of” (they haven’t had one since “18 Singles”). After that, with or without an AB anniversary tour, there would certainly be a new project which would be starting with a clean slate. I think we would all look forward to that. Namaste. ? 

Just as you maintain that your rant was not specifically directed at me, my comment certainly wasn't an attack on you or your point and I apologise if I gave that impression.  The problem with these forums is sometimes comments can be interpreted differently than intended and cause offence on all sides, so to engage now in a back and forth of I said  you said would be futile.

I think that the roots of this came about towards the end of the 360 tour when the band were playing "Stingray Guitar," and "Glastonbury."

At that time it was said that an album called SOA was in the works. When the next two albums were "Songs of..," I think that people expected SOA to be released in the same run. I must admit that I too believed this to be the case.

The innocence -> experience-> regained innocence theme seems to be complete so I imagine that we are moving on to something else.

My instincts tell me that a "Best of 2000- 2010," is next. After that? Let's wait and see.

Sat Nam. ?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CorkVegan said:

I think that the roots of this came about towards the end of the 360 tour when the band were playing "Stingray Guitar," and "Glastonbury."

At that time it was said that an album called SOA was in the works. When the next two albums were "Songs of..," I think that people expected SOA to be released in the same run. I must admit that I too believed this to be the case.

The innocence -> experience-> regained innocence theme seems to be complete so I imagine that we are moving on to something else.

My instincts tell me that a "Best of 2000- 2010," is next. After that? Let's wait and see.

Sat Nam. ?

Yes.  There was talk as No Line on the Horizon came out and interviews where at least two/three members of the band mentioned a companion album called Songs of Ascent, then there was "Soon" that might be on it and as you mentioned "Stingray Guitar" and "Glastonbury".  Of course, as ideas often do with the band, things changed and that's when Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience were born. There were many fan speculations that Songs of Ascent would to a part of that, making it a trilogy, but in most recent band comments, that is not the case.  Most likely whatever songs they had when they were thinking Songs of Ascent, probably morphed into songs for SOI and SOE.

As you said, we will just have to wait and see what is next......and remember to take all rumours with a grain of salt until official news is posted.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/31/2018 at 2:48 AM, dermo said:

The problem with these forums is sometimes comments can be interpreted differently than intended

It is my experience that such is the problem with all of social media.  I notice it all the time.  I've done it in these forums.  It's nice to disagree and get angry and rant while being able to apologize.  I do not notice that much of the time on other social media.  Perhaps we are already ascending.  ?

Edited by Manohlive