Loved Songs of Experience.  Such an amazing album!  Easily their best album since All That You Can't Leave Behind (or Atomic Bomb depending on your preference).  The end of Experience has a real finality to it.  Which leads me to this question:  Will we get Songs of Ascent?  Has everyone noticed how quiet Bono is about it?  He's not talking about anything but Experience, now I understand that's the new album and that's what he is hyping at the moment.  Could the rest of the band be telling him to ease up on the trilogy's end?  Could Experience be that end?  Is Bono's health a reason they may not deliver Ascent as soon as we'd hope?  There's a lot to consider.  So my question to the awesome U2niverse: Will we get Songs of Ascent?  And why do you think the way that you think?  Thanks guys!  I hope you're all well!

I think a Return to Innocence what is next. Today  (December 6, 2017) on a You Tube that Bono and the Edge were singing in a Berlin subway, Bono said  phrase in closing that was what his prayer was in part for "a return to Innocence". It felt like a weighty hint mentioned at the end...we will see, won't we? Thanks for this post, jreed!!

:JT_Logo_03:

I have wondered the same thing. Many of the songs on SOE are what I imagined to be be what Songs of Ascent would sound like.  I would love to hear Songs of Ascent next. But for now I am so happy with SOE.

On 12/8/2017 at 3:00 PM, nyru2 said:

2 Albums and 3 Tours in 3 years....I think they have given us plenty for now

You are right, nyru2! 

I think for various practical reasons it won't become a trilogy. I think a third in terms of theme and touring might be a stretch to far.

That said several artists have started releasing albums of rarities and off cuts directly via their website. Their not chartable but obviously profitable. For a good example of this model see Robbie Williams who has now released two full albums of new material this way. Neither were toured or promoted beyond his website but it's a good idea. In fact I think he said in an interview recently both albums made more money than his commercial releases due to no need for a label etc.

U2 could/should do something similar and release Songs of Ascent as an album of out takes and so forth from recent times...North Star, Mercy etc. Plus all the likely off cuts from SoI & SoE.

OR more likely - I could see them packaging SoI & SoE in a deluxe set with a third disc of off cuts etc. and naming it SoA.