Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cantinadetim

U2 Don't Promote their Best Songs?

My humble opinion here, but to me U2 fail to promote their best songs. American Soul and Get Out of Your Own Way are two of the weakest tracks on album, IMO. I wasn't excited about the record until I heard the other stuff: Red Flag Day, Lights of Home, etc...

In general I’d agree as songs like The Troubles, a where you can see me now we’re absent from the last tour. Instead they played bland songs like Song for someone and California.

On NLOTH Being Born and Stand up comedy we’re againleft our of the tour in favour of Breathe and Boots.

But IMHO opinion Red Flag Day and Lights are banal at very best.

Sometimes yes. In SOE I believe 'Your The Best Thing About Me' was a perfect first single. 'Get Out of Your Own Way' the same thing.

But in NLOH, 'Boots' was mistake. I believe 'Magnificent' and 'Moment Of Surrender', they were the best options

I get where you're coming from, but wouldn't that be kind of like one of those movie marketing campaigns where all the best bits of the movie are in the trailers?

I partially agree. Sometimes they do sometimes they don't. Here are my favorites in order from the last few albums:

SOE: Lights of Home, American Soul, Blackout, You're the Best Thing About Me, Love is Bigger...

SOI: Cedarwood Road, Every Breaking Wave, Raised by Wolves, Volcano, The Miracle of Joey Ramone. 

No Line on the Horizon: Stand Up Comedy, Breathe, Magnificent, I'll Go Crazy...

How to Dismantle...: Original of the Species, All Because of You, City of Blinding Lights, Miracle Drug.

Some of these songs were promoted on Late Night TV to some extent, but it seems like after a certain point in a bands career they don't seem to get radio play for their new music anyway. It's a strange phenomenon. How can a band sell so many records and shows if they can't really even get on the radio anymore? Mostly thanks to their catalog of great old music and their dedicated fans I guess. So really, it doesn't matter much if they promote it or not. Also, if they give an album away with every concert ticket sold, it still looks like they are selling a ton of records! I heard that's partially how they got ranked no. 1 on the Billboard chart this time around.  

What bugs me more though is how they play remixed or solo / duet versions of some of the better songs on these tours. For instance, I really love the Every Breaking Wave album version, not so much the tour piano version. Also, the tour version of I'll Go Crazy was lame for me, the album version rocked. 

On 09/12/2017 at 2:33 AM, cantinadetim said:

My humble opinion here, but to me U2 fail to promote their best songs. American Soul and Get Out of Your Own Way are two of the weakest tracks on album, IMO. I wasn't excited about the record until I heard the other stuff: Red Flag Day, Lights of Home, etc...

Get Out Out Of Your Own way is my least favourite on the album. the way the title is sung is so weak and the "ahh ahh" just gives me the sh*ts. I know they are building up the song to get louder for the "I could sing it to you all night (all night)" part but I just don't like the structure of the song, it's like Beautiful Day all over again. my top 5 is 'The Little Things That Give You Away', 'Red Flag Day', 'Love Is Bigger Than Anything In It's Way, 'Landlady' & 'The Blackout'. I like the song that starts the album but the first half of the album really does nothing for me, the latter half is the best imo. about American Soul, I like the music but the lyrics do nothing for me. I'm not a yank and I'm tired of Bono looking at America like it's the best thing since donuts. if I hear him say "the idea of America" one more time I think I will literally throw up. no offence to US fans that make up alot of this forum.  

On 24/12/2017 at 7:30 PM, BigBunny said:

if I hear him say "the idea of America" one more time I think I will literally throw up.

The first time I heard him say it was on an Oprah interview back around 2002. I'm guessing it dates back even further to TJT.

Yeah, tired of it too.

16 hours ago, Grande 3:16 said:

The first time I heard him say it was on an Oprah interview back around 2002. I'm guessing it dates back even further to TJT.

Yeah, tired of it too.

the B man's got this idealised version of the USA that has never existed. it's just a country. 

we all know Australia kicks ass, that's why everyone wants to live here ;):Zoo_Angel:

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:49 PM, u2soi said:

Sometimes yes. In SOE I believe 'Your The Best Thing About Me' was a perfect first single. 'Get Out of Your Own Way' the same thing.

But in NLOH, 'Boots' was mistake. I believe 'Magnificent' and 'Moment Of Surrender', they were the best options

I completely agree on the NLotH singles.

I tend to change the order of songs on most of their albums as well.

Magnificent should've been the first single.

I can hear DJs having to say,

"U2 is back and their new single is Magnificent..."

How'd they miss that opportunity???

In the case of their new album,

Your The Best Thing About Me was a great choice for first single.

After that, it's the question of a great song vs. a great single.

Not every song can be both.

Personally, I'd go for Lights of Home, Red Flag Day, and Summer of Love.

The Blackout could've been a single, too.

Summer of Love is a bit understated when you think of what's on radio.

Then again, consider what With Or Without You must've seemed like in the context of spring 1987!

That was a game changer.

I know a few Lady Gaga fans who love the fact that she is singing on Summer of Love.

It could be a dark single.

Some pop needs to go there though.

On 09/12/2017 at 2:33 AM, cantinadetim said:

I agree. those 2 songs are at the bottom of the 13 songs on the album. GOOYOW for me is just *urgh!* American Soul, I love the music but the lyrics... I just don't wanna hear that crap B-Man. 

^ the above views are not shared by U2 or most of their fans ;)

edit: I forgot that I already gave my 2 cents in this thread apologies. :Zoo_Currency: